• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Streets of Rage 2 3DS or: An excuse to talk about the GOAT beat 'em up game

53346-streets-of-rage-2-genesis-screenshot-title-screen.gif
53347-streets-of-rage-2-genesis-screenshot-character-select-screen.gif
53356-streets-of-rage-2-genesis-screenshot-fireball.gif
53351-streets-of-rage-2-genesis-screenshot-boss.gif
364850-streets-of-rage-2-genesis-screenshot-stage-3-finishing-donovan.gif
364925-streets-of-rage-2-genesis-screenshot-stage-6-blaze-demonstrates.gif
364847-streets-of-rage-2-genesis-screenshot-stage-3-max-delivers.gif
364862-streets-of-rage-2-genesis-screenshot-max-grabs-abadede-the.gif
364925-streets-of-rage-2-genesis-screenshot-stage-6-blaze-demonstrates.gif
364931-streets-of-rage-2-genesis-screenshot-stage-8-skate-is-break.gif

Last week, I picked up the Sega 3D classics port of Streets of Rage 2 on the 3DS. I have played multiple version of this game but this is a particularity well done port. Kudos to M2 for finding a way to make the 3D work on the diagonally scrolling bits of the game. They already go above and beyond with these Sega ports, but the new relay mode they included was a much appreciated addition to the game. Unfortunately, multiplayer requires a second 3DS and a second copy of the game but whatever. They also made this amazing credits sequence that everyone here needs to watch right now.

Honestly, I just want an excuse to gush about how much I love Streets of Rage 2. This is pretty much one of the greatest—arguably the best— beat 'em ups out there. It's just a such an overall near-perfect gaming experience. It looks beautiful, plays great, and good lord that soundtrack. It's just such a huge step up from the first Streets of Rage it's nidicolous. One of the most improved sequels in gaming history.

To this day I still can't fathom how the whole game can run on Genesis hardware. I will talk shit about the worst Genesis music any day but Yuzo Koshiro is a mastermind that somehow made tracks like Go Straight, Never Return Alive, Spin On the Bridge, Dreamer, Alien Power, and Expander come out of that system's soundchip. Arguably one of the greatest game soundtracks of all time. I know most of the tracks are heavily inspired by some 80s and early 90s club hits, but it doesn't take away from the master levels of musical skill it's required to compose these godly tracks on Genesis hardware IMO.

The game also looks really good as well. The huge sprites and the super detailed and colourful background are some of the most beautiful graphics that came from a 16-bit console. I can't really explain this well but Streets of Rage 2 is a product of its time and it shows. From it's design of all the characters to the different locales you go through the game does this really good job of evoking this fever dream inspired late 80s/early 90s urban aesthetics. Special recognition for that fucked up H.R. Giger inspired horror house bit on level 3.

All this and it's packaged with solid beat 'em up gameplay. All four characters have a varied moveset, but then you throw in the special dash attacks, both types of crowd clearing attacks, the unique jumping attacks, all the varied ways you can pummel or throw grabbed enemies, and you get this super deep combat system. It's just a vastly unique experience playing as the heavy grappler Max Thunder vs. playing as the fragile speedster Skate. All the different enemy types and bosses also have unique properties to their AI and attacks that it makes nearly every gauntlet the game throws at you unique challenges, like how the Signal types try to get behind you for throws or how the Ninja types use unique moves based on what kind of weapons it has equipped. Some of the harder difficulty levels demand a rather deep understanding on manipulating the AI of the waves of enemies, mastery of the large moveset each character has, and efficient use of your life sacrificing combo moves.

My only gripes of the game are its lack of stage gimmicks and how slow the playable characters move. Streets of Rage 3 fixed both of these issues but it's also a muddy mess of a sequel. That's all I have to say about that game.

Sometimes it feels like everything is falling into place for a Streets of Rage sequel. Beat 'em ups are making a comeback through small indie studios and Sega acknowledges the existence of the series by including Axel as a playable character in Project X Zone 2. Maybe one day we'll see one, but for now I'm hoping Sega realizes that there's still love for the series out there. This is partly why I got both SoR 1 and 2 on my 3DS.

TL;DR I fucking love Streets of Rage 2 and this 3DS remaster. Do you love this game as well, GAF?

BONUS: Because the American box art for the game is always displayed on the bottom screen during gameplay, I just realized that the big bald guy on the left is supposed to be Max. WTF?

streetsofrage2.jpg

And while I'm bringing up box art: Gotta love the Japanese box art with Jean-Claude Van Damme as Axel and a coked out Arnold Schwarzenegger-looking Mr. X on the background.

streetsofrage2j.jpg

Sapiens

I made it a point to own the JPN version of BK2 just to have that bocksart.

My comments - great game, visually, one of the nicest looking games of 1992 with great looking sprites and effects that proved that the MD was superior to the SNES is a lot of ways in a year that it really mattered.

redcrayon

Nice OP!

Yeah, it's my favourite Megadrive game, and one of the few I still play on a regular basis. The 3DS is a great way to play it for me as I can play it through start to finish on my commute home from work.

Axel's Grand Upper is overpowered in that it overrides almost everything, even most of the bosses special moves, and also hits both forward and up (Blaze's equivalent has a smaller hitbox), but playing through as the other characters shows off the depth and need for more precision in combat. While I mastered it with Axel and Blaze 20 years ago, I prefer to play through as Max and Skate now as they require a bit more thought (for me).

redcrayon

There's some beauty in abusing invincibility frames and hit stun in this game. Sometimes the enemies, especially the bosses, straight up cheat so it's all fair game to me.
Yeah, hit stun works on virtually everyone bar the bosses. Only one guy on screen? You can just rabbit-punch him to death without knocking him down, even the fat guys and the ninjas. The kickboxers tend to counter with a mid-kick, good for them :D What it's not good for is score attack, which is another reason why Axel's uppercut is a bit unbalanced as it scores plenty of points over basic attacks and there's no reason not to use it. Maybe the specials were thought to be a bit harder to pull off for a pre-SFII crowd of kids?

Yeah, hit stun works on virtually everyone bat the bosses. Only one guy on screen? You can just rabbit-punch him to death without knocking him down, even the fat guys and the ninjas. The kickboxers tend to counter with a mid-kick, good for them :D

Hit stun abuse works on the wrestler bosses if you keep a certain distance away from them.

redcrayon

Hit stun abuse works on the wrestler bosses if you keep a certain distance away from them.
Really, that Ultimate Warrior lookalike? Cool. I always end up keeping him at the top or bottom of the screen and using flying kicks when he charges as he does loads of damage and his hulk-rage move seems to break combos, but I'll try that next time, can't believe I've never noticed. Maybe my initial encounters with him did so much damage that I've kept my distance all these years!

Boney

Banned
Hahaha that ending sequence was dope.

It's my favourite beat em up. It never gets old and it's so much fun to play. One of the best co op experiences ever

Glowsquid

Streets of Rage 2 is certainly a great game and the best console btu from that period. My only serious gripe is that the default difficulty quickly becomes boring after a few playthrough - but I guess that's what Mania is for

That being said...

GOAT beat 'em up

Violent Storm, man, Violent Storm : p.

gelf

This game tempts me to buy a 3DS despite owning multiple ports of SOR2 and despite the fact I'm not much of a handheld user at all.

Syril

This game tempts me to buy a 3DS despite owning multiple ports of SOR2 and despite the fact I'm not much of a handheld user at all.
If it makes you feel better this version is part of a series of enhanced versions of Sega games on the 3DS.

Played it for the first time this year on Megadrive Collection, absolutely amazing game. Double dipped for the 3DS version right away, which is good, but for some reason doesn't properly save high scores?
Still already played through the game at least 15 times by this point and still learning new tricks. Really not fond of Skate and Max though.

Also, what's the meaning of the stars below your health bar?

Glowsquid

Also, what's the meaning of the stars below your health bar?

In SOR 2, they just indicate how much lifebars a boss has.

If you,re also thinking of SOR 3, that game has a leveling up mechanic where gaining a certain ammount of points without dying upgrade your FF attack. more explanation here

Tain

Very good game, especially for its time, but the best arcade games in the genre surpass it pretty easily I think.

BK3 vs SoR 2 is the real battle here.

SnowTeeth

Banned
This game is a masterpiece and if I owned a 3DS I would own this version too. It's a perfect package imo. And yeah, that crazy ending is amazing!!

For the celebration of the 3DS rerelease, one of the original designers of Streets of Rage 2 had a interview that mostly went through the making of the game posted online. I found a translation on this interview here. It's a interesting look into what goes on during the development of a console game in the early 90s.

Also, the blogger posted a download link to scans of the original game's design documents. I took the liberty of reuploading it to imgur here.

@MUWANdo

Banned
For the celebration of the 3DS rerelease, one of the original designers of Streets of Rage 2 had a interview that mostly went through the making of the game posted online. I found a translation on this interview here. It's a interesting look into what goes on during the development of a console game in the early 90s.

Also, the blogger posted a download link to scans of the original game's design documents. I took the liberty of reuploading it to imgur here.

Just to elaborate, this interview is with Ayano Koshiro, planner and designer on SOR2 and sister of Yuzo Koshiro, and like her brother, she's worked on many classic 8/16-bit games including Ys, Sorcerian, Actraiser, Lunar and Terranigma.

I thought this part about a hypothetical SOR4 was neat:

—If someone told you you could have carte blanche to make a Streets of Rage 4, what kind of game would you make?

Koshiro: 4? (laughs)

—Anyway you wanted it. (laughs)

Koshiro: Really? And what if I said I’d make it a puzzle game? (laughs)

—(laughs) Whatever you want.

Koshiro: Well… of course it wouldn’t be a puzzle game! Hmm, I’d probably make something that took advantage of modern hardware and allowed everyone to play together. Like an online multiplayer thing, where you and five of your friends could all swagger down the street like a gang.

—You’d have to make sure they all had the same walking speed! With net games today, someone is always faster and runs ahead.

Koshiro: Yeah, if you went alone you’d get pummeled. It would be like gang fights. Lots of enemies, but lots of player characters.

—Who would the characters be?

Koshiro: Well, one thing is for sure: no moe characters. Just old dudes and tough guys.

—And muscleheads, right?

Koshiro: Oh yes, muscles. Muscles, muscles, and more muscles! (laughs)

—Who exactly would buy this game? (laughs)

Koshiro: Me. (laughs) I think tastes are changing though and more people are getting into this kind of stuff again. These days everything is just little girls and I think people are getting tired of it.

—And I think Streets of Rage fans want that older style.

Koshiro: Yeah, definitely. I don’t think it would fly with little moeblobs.

SOR2 is one of my favourite games ever, I absolutely love the whole MD trilogy. It's just games that proves again an again that it never gets old. I often play together with a friend, and they just never tire.

A buddy of mine and I were talking about this just the other day, sor2 is in my top5 brawlers of all time, right next to river city ransom. we were talking about the fact that Dragon's Crown, even though it's gorgeous, isn't even in the top 10 for me, and how if sor3's soundtrack didn't make me want to cut out my eardrums it'd be the best game in the series by a county mile.

A buddy of mine and I were talking about this just the other day, sor2 is in my top5 brawlers of all time, right next to river city ransom. we were talking about the fact that Dragon's Crown, even though it's gorgeous, isn't even in the top 10 for me, and how if sor3's soundtrack didn't make me want to cut out my eardrums it'd be the best game in the series by a county mile.

I kinda like some of the tracks in SoR3. I mean it's no SoR2 but it's a unique sound that is still miles above most Genesis soundtracks.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Skate is the only truly playable character in this game

I'm only half joking, being able to dash makes a huge difference when you're on your Xth playthru >.>

daydream

Banned
the first two games are among the strongest starts any series has ever had and the 3ds versions are the definitive way to play those masterpieces

I hate Skate. His super combos aren't as effective on bosses compared to the other characters.

In order or preference:

Max (fuck yeah power bombing punks) > Blaze (balanced and fair) > Axel (boring and too OP) > Skate (plain sucks)

Voorhees

Axel's "Sands of Power" move is seriously the most overpowered attack in the game, you can complete the whole game using nothing but that attack.

Zafir

I should really grab it on 3DS if it's out. Already bought the first one. One of the few old games I can just play over and over.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I hate Skate. His super combos aren't as effective on bosses compared to the other characters.

In order or preference:

Max (fuck yeah power bombing punks) > Blaze (balanced and fair) > Axel (boring and too OP) > Skate (plain sucks)
Man you need to understand how to use skate

Whoa thanks. I didn't even know Koshiro's sister worked in game dev ! Very interesting read.

eXistor

For the longest time I never realised Axel said "grand upper". I just thought he said "Ranzappa!"or something, which of course makes zero sense.

For the longest time I never realised Axel said "grand upper". I just thought he said "Ranzappa!"or something, which of course makes zero sense.
Reminds me of Mario saying "here we gooo!" when he gets the star in Mario 64. I thought for years, since my childhood, he said: Hock-Peckooo"

Which again, makes zero sense.

Foffy

Banned
I loved the Streets of Rage series. It absolutely encompassed what I liked about early 1990s culture, primarily with Koshiro's majestic music.

It bewilders me that nothing has come close to topping the greatness of SoR2. SoR3, even considering what the game was before it's American changes, was a major step back.

Top Bottom