• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Streets of Rage 2 3DS or: An excuse to talk about the GOAT beat 'em up game

For the longest time I never realised Axel said "grand upper". I just thought he said "Ranzappa!"or something, which of course makes zero sense.

I didn't realize it either, I thought he was saying "grandpa" which made just about as much sense.

I wonder how many people realized that the Electra type of enemy always had a whip for a hand.

Took me years to realize this.

...what.

WHAT.

mind = blown.

OH MY GOD

what.

WHAT.

mind = blown.

Yep. It was even reflected on her sprites.

latest

It was probably pretty hard to notice on your small CRT screens back in the days. Not that much of a issue on our emulated software, giant LCD monitors, and portable systems.

The Electra enemies come back in SoR3 and seem to have a right hand again.

latest

Maybe it's a prosthetic?

I'm still partial to SoR3 because of playable
Shiva - yes, he's OP I know
. However, I remember playing TMNT: Turtles in Time at my neighbour's place, and I never thought anything would come close to that. SoR2 proved me wrong in the best way possible. What an experience... especially co-op.

Bebop

Great game but I always prefered the first one. SoR 1 is more balanced for me and the music is better, one of my top 5 game OST easily.

Here's something interesting: unused art commisioned for the European box art of the game.

palart1.png

Whoever drew this was probably the same dork who did the bald Max and blue denim shorts Blaze on the American box art.

For the celebration of the 3DS rerelease, one of the original designers of Streets of Rage 2 had a interview that mostly went through the making of the game posted online. I found a translation on this interview here. It's a interesting look into what goes on during the development of a console game in the early 90s.

Also, the blogger posted a download link to scans of the original game's design documents. I took the liberty of reuploading it to imgur here.

This interview is cool as heck. I love that site.

Mobius 1

For the celebration of the 3DS rerelease, one of the original designers of Streets of Rage 2 had a interview that mostly went through the making of the game posted online. I found a translation on this interview here. It's a interesting look into what goes on during the development of a console game in the early 90s.

Also, the blogger posted a download link to scans of the original game's design documents. I took the liberty of reuploading it to imgur here.

You're doing god's work here sir, many thanks.

Psxphile

Here's something interesting: unused art commisioned for the European box art of the game.

palart1.png

Whoever drew this was probably the same dork who did the bald Max and blue denim shorts Blaze on the American box art.
Pretty sure I saw this before in an issue of Gamepro, back in the day. Or Sega Visions.

Pejo

You know, I remember that other beat-em-up thread that listed dragon's crown as the best of the best, and this game was constantly mentioned as the GOAT. I hadn't realized they made a 3DS version with 3D enabled, but after reading impressions in this thread, I think I'm going to give it a buy. If people are seriously putting this above Dragon's Crown and Guardian Heroes, there's gotta be something to it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
You know, I remember that other beat-em-up thread that listed dragon's crown as the best of the best, and this game was constantly mentioned as the GOAT. I hadn't realized they made a 3DS version with 3D enabled, but after reading impressions in this thread, I think I'm going to give it a buy. If people are seriously putting this above Dragon's Crown and Guardian Heroes, there's gotta be something to it.

Yeah, it's easily better than both those games.

I do not agree, first game is still very good.

I'll second that. Golden Axe is still excellent, and I'll even say the console Golden Axe 2 still holds up pretty well.

Agree with others though that getting a port of Revenge of Death Adder would pretty much top my wish list for 3D classics.

I'll second that. Golden Axe is still excellent, and I'll even say the console Golden Axe 2 still holds up pretty well.

Agree with others though that getting a port of Revenge of Death Adder would pretty much top my wish list for 3D classics.

Golden Axe 1 is in GOAT beat'em ups of all time, along with Double Dragon and Capcom's finest. It's Sega arcade department and it shows. SoR is amateurish at comparison.

lazygecko

palart1.png

For once it's a guy who gets the boobass pose.

Leynos

Watching the hilarious ending sequence linked in the OP brings up a question: is Blaze still censored in the West? I really doubt that children are going to be playing this as they are all off playing their parents' tablets, and smart phones.

oneida

Watching the hilarious ending sequence linked in the OP brings up a question: is Blaze still censored in the West? I really doubt that children are going to be playing this as they are all off playing their parents' tablets, and smart phones.
you can change the region in the game. it's accurate to whatever region you pick

The Sega 3D Classics port allows you to choose between 2 different regions with each game. SoR2 has the international
no panties" version and the Japanese "panties" version available.

gelf

It depends why you like those games really. If you like the RPG elements those have then SOR2 isn't for you. If however like me you think RPG elements dilute the formula and rate purer arcade beat-em-ups then SOR2 is fantastic.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
God I fucking love this game. Played the shit out of it on the Megadrive/Genesis and again for all the achievements on 360. I should get this 3DS version but I never ever touch my 3DS =\

oneida

God I fucking love this game. Played the shit out of it on the Megadrive/Genesis and again for all the achievements on 360. I should get this 3DS version but I never ever touch my 3DS =
Personally I prefer the SVC version on 360...

Mupod

That's not CPS2 Aliens vs Predator but it's still pretty damn sweet. I really want to track down a real copy but for some reason haven't been able to find one and the Canadian dollar is so shit that ebay is terrible atm.

zoodoo

Am I the only one to think street of rage 3 plays way better than 2?

You have so much more combo options in 3. you can dash attack, roll. If you dont die and get an extra life after reaching 9 lives, it adds one more hit to the dash move. The game is more challenging, has a lot of playable characters and they play differently.

Street of rage 2 has way better music though. I think street of rage 3 probably came out too late and went under the radar. It's a way bigger and more ambitious game then 2 and it looks better.

oneida

You have so much more combo options in 3. you can dash attack, roll. If you dont die and get an extra life after reaching 9 lives, it adds one more hit to the dash move. The game is more challenging, has a lot of playable characters and they play differently.

Street of rage 2 has way better music though. I think street of rage 3 probably came out too late and went under the radar. It's a way bigger and more ambitious game then 2 and it looks better.
play Skate and you can dash.

Naw, man. SoR3's graphics are a huge step down from SoR2. Everything is too washed out and brown.

You know what? I'm gonna replay some SoR3 just to see how it holds up gameplaywise to SoR2.

ghibli99

Classic game and a great remaster by M2. I'm less enthusiastic about Genesis remasters vs. the arcade ones, but they are so expertly done that I've bought just about all of them.

I wonder how many people realized that the Electra type of enemy always had a whip for a hand.

Took me years to realize this.

Goddamn. 22 years later and still learning things about this.

Just to elaborate, this interview is with Ayano Koshiro, planner and designer on SOR2 and sister of Yuzo Koshiro, and like her brother, she's worked on many classic 8/16-bit games including Ys, Sorcerian, Actraiser, Lunar and Terranigma.

I thought this part about a hypothetical SOR4 was neat:

This is an amazing concept. Dream game for sure.

Naw, man. SoR3's graphics are a huge step down from SoR2. Everything is too washed out and brown.

You know what? I'm gonna replay some SoR3 just to see how it holds up gameplaywise to SoR2.

SOR2 all in all is a cleaner looking and sounding title. There are some really neat concepts in 3 (expanded roster, rolling, new character interactions like throwing a fat enemy, free timed super, expanded narrative) but the difficulty cap for content and like you mentioned, the washed out pallet is way less appealing.

Replaying SoR3 has quickly made me remember why I prefer SoR2. Mechanically, it's a more sloppier experience compared to its predecessor. The enemy AI is much more simple and exploitable, level transitions are unnatural and strange, and some gauntlets last a unholy amount of time. Sure the game has a larger repertoire of moves and is more fast paced than SoR2, but it all doesn't make the experience all that much better when the punks and hoodlums you're beating up are pretty dumb and weak.

In a earlier post, I mentioned how I felt that the game graphically looked like a more washed up mess. Here's a example of what I'm talking about.

This is the 1st stage of Streets of Rage 2:

streetsofrage2.jpg

See how vibrant and colourful the background is? This is why you know Ancient put their fucking work into this game. It looks beautiful and was a huge step up from the first Streets of Rage.

Now compare this to another similar locale on Streets of Rage 3. This is the 2nd level of that game:

gfs_46797_2_13.jpg

See how drab and boring this street level looks? Such a massive downgrade in quality. This is what the entire game looks like.

The sprites look worse in SoR3 as well. Everyone looks like melted wax figures who need a bit of retouching. Just compare what Axel looked like in SoR2 versus how he looked like in SoR3 and you'll see what I mean.

The only good things I can say about the game is that the faster paced combat was for the best , the return of unique stage gimmicks and traps was much appreciated, and the soundtrack is pretty good when it's good. Other than that, whatever inhouse development team Sega employed to make this game really dropped the ball and it shows.

Wat.

SoR3's final boss can be beaten by doing literally nothing but jump kicks.

That's another example of why the enemy AI in this game is trash. The final boss being too unfairly hard to beat normally is one thing, but having to resort to a specific exploit to beat it is what seals in what a shitty boss it is.

SOR2 all in all is a cleaner looking and sounding title. There are some really neat concepts in 3 (expanded roster, rolling, new character interactions like throwing a fat enemy, free timed super, expanded narrative) but the difficulty cap for content and like you mentioned, the washed out pallet is way less appealing.

That's not a new concept to the series. SoR1 had the Bongo enemy types that would crush you if you tried to throw them.

No...

sor3-4.gif

2178366-streets_of_rage_3_28.gif

SOR3_Stage_2.png

And lets not act like 2 didn't have moments of being drab... Much of stage 6 is brown, green/brown.

Stage 6 is brown and green amongst a game with vibrant backgrounds and locales. I'll give it a pass over all the trash level backdrops of SoR3.

Top Bottom