• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsumi Kimishima (former NoA CEO) is the new president of Nintendo [Updated]

Dr. Buni

I was hoping for Nintendo to go with a younger person than this. On the other hand, I don't know anything about Kimishima so I won't judge the man just yet. At first glance it doesn't seem like such an exciting choice, though. He's 65.
My thoughts exactly. Hopefully his age and experience brings good fruits for Nintendo and its consumers.

Shion

Can we seriously stop romanticizing Yamauchi and praising strong arm tactics and driving away third parties to Sony. His vision had major flaws.

No one is romanticizing Yamauchi, the man was far from perfect, arrogant and way too old-school minded in the way he did things.

But people have different opinions and I happen to believe that, despite his obvious shortcomings, Nintendo was a much better company under his reign.

E-phonk

Banned
Sounds good, although I hope it comes together with giving younger people at nintendo more strategic places creative wise.

I think i counted out kimishima in the thread where we discussed possible candidates because of age, but his track record is definitly solid.

He's no dev, but being a developer isn't why iwata was chosen president, it was the fact he turned HAL lab around financially as president. He was able to run a tight financial ship when needed, as you can see by the recent results. I'm sure he did it with the help of Kimishima.

Since the death spiral of consoles in Japan, it makes sense to appoint someone more in touch with the NA customer. Kimishima San is the obvious choice in this regard.

It makes sense for Kimishima San not to change the ship's direction too much since NX's plans are probably far too advanced and in hands of more competent people than him. I see the group leadership thing as a measure to cut the monetary and time costs of grooming new C-executives for the future of Nintendo, it really takes special training to run such a unique enterprise. It could work also as a good-will building exercise, since due to Kimishima San's residence in the United States, some members of Nintendo might not know him very well, which could lead to distrust, especially in such a conservative Japanese company like Nintendo.

But the most important part is that even if Kmishima San leads the company for 5 years, he will have to make tons of decisions that will be further removed from Iwata San's vision. Even the best of visions needs to be readjusted due to market, technology and economy changes, as well as probably start the design of Next NX or even NX-Handheld. I think it's a good idea right now to have a more marketing-business focused oriented CEO at the moment. Nintendo does not have a problem with Dev retention or quality, so someone more in touch with the western market is a good idea.

Sandfox

So did Iwata with the WiiU and PS4. That's the difference between Nintendo and Sony, Sony developed consoles around the market needs, something Iwata and Nintendo refused to do after the early success of the Wii.
My point is that I don't get comparing profit since its not exaclty an accurate measure of success and Yamauchi left before the issues he caused would have ever had a chance to bring the company down that far.

Unless you work for Nintendo at senior corporate level, you have absolutely no clue as to what is and what is not bs when it comes to their corporate strategy. Clearly, they had something in mind to streamline their development capabilities and their hardware approach when they set in motion the plan to bring all of their devs in one purpose built building.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

But if you imply that Iwata basically outlined Nintendo's strategy for the next decade then yes that's silly.

My point is that I don't get comparing profit since its not exaclty an accurate measure of success and Yamauchi left before the issues he caused would have ever had a chance to bring the company down that far.

What? It is.

And even if you are ignoring the profit there is still the GCN which was the base for the Wii. Yamauchi did some great and right calls after the N64.

Do we know anything about that large-scale corporate restructuring mentioned in the press release?

According to the old and new titles, the following seems to be happening:

- Miyamoto is stepping down from his managerial role at EAD towards a purely advisory role on the board of directors. No successor has been announced.

- Same for Takeda who is stepping down as general manager of the IRD division. No announcement of a successor here as well.

- Are EAD and SPD (and IRD?) being merged? Because Shinya Takahashi seems to have gotten a BIG promotion from General Manager of SPD to General Manager of an apparently new division called "Entertainment Planning & Development Division" - which could be the name for the newly merged Entertainment & Analysis Development and Software Planning & Development divisions. This would be pretty big news. After all, he takes over Miyamoto's old managerial position while, at the same time, remaining the boss of the other major game development division within Nintendo.

- Also, Takahashi has been appointed as supervisor of the "Business Development Division". Another new division? Something along the line of Iwata's Corporate Planning Division (of which he was the general manager in the years before he became president), perhaps?

If you ask me, Takahashi is the crown prince in this arrangement. He's being groomed to take over in a few years, while Miyamoto and Takeda are slowly stepping back and settling in a purely advisory role until their eventual retirement. Kimishima is taking the reins in the meantime as the more experienced manager for the next couple of years (until after the NX launch, etc.). Just my two cents on the matter.

Rodin

It was him the guy we speculated that would get the position in the other thread, right?

Best luck to him anyway, incredibly big shoes to fill.

Guys.

You're not going to get a second Iwata.

With how he (mis)handled Nintendo in recent years, it's easy to see why people don't see him as a person with knowledge of running a business.
Did he? I mean, even Steve Jobs made mistakes. Did he mishandled Apple?

If there's anyone who has no knowledge of running a business that's us, who write and judge other people's hard work on a forum, with few exceptions.

Majukun

It was him the guy we speculated that would get the position in the other thread, right?

If there's anyone who has no knowledge of running a business that's us, who write and judge other people's hard work on a forum, with few exceptions.

Iwata 's errors were way too big,way too stupid and way too clamorous

many people were already pointing out the reasons why the wii u was gonna fail months if not a good year before the console was even out.
that without counting managing to make the wii the first console to go out of business in his own gen while having dozens of millions of advantage in terms of installed base than sony or microsoft.

Zalman

Do we know anything about that large-scale corporate restructuring mentioned in the press release?

- Miyamoto is stepping down from his managerial role at EAD towards a purely advisory role on the board of directors. No successor has been announced.

- Same for Takeda who is stepping down as general manager of the IRD division. No announcement of a successor here as well.

- Are EAD and SPD (and IRD?) being merged? Because Shinya Takahashi seems to have gotten a BIG promotion from General Manager of SPD to General Manager of an apparently new division called "Entertainment Planning & Development Division" - which could be the name for the newly merged Entertainment & Analysis Development and Software Planning & Development divisions. This would be pretty big news. After all, he takes over Miyamoto's old managerial position while, at the same time, remaining the boss of the other major game development division within Nintendo.

- Also, Takahashi has been appointed as supervisor of the "Business Development Division". Another new division? Something along the line of Iwata's Corporate Planning Division (of which he was the general manager in the years before he became president).

If you ask me, Takahashi is the crown prince in this arrangement. He's being groomed to take over in a few years, while Miyamoto and Takeda are slowly stepping back and settling in a purely advisory role until their eventual retirement. Kimishima is taking the reins in the meantime as the more experienced manager for the next couple of years (until after the NX launch, etc.). Just my two cents on the matter.
Fully agree. To me, Kamashima seems like a short-term solution so they can finish what Iwata has set in motion. Takahashi will be the real future of Nintendo. I can see him take over in a couple of years.

http://business.time.com/2014/01/29/nintendo-boss-im-sorry-let-me-halve-my-salary/

isn't something you do because you are such a nice guy.

Shiggy

Well, NeoGAF predicted the issues of Wii U well before launch. Lots of armchair analysts realized that the name would be confusing, especially after the same mistake had been made with the 3DS. And then a lot of people already questioned the Wii U's viability as it did more look like a cheap iPad knockoff and did not really bring anything new to the table.

Then there were the issues with HD development requiring more resources than Wii games, which Nintendo did not realize either. And Nintendo failed to create games for the Western markets yet again. And shall i start talking about the mobile gaming boom which took a big chunk of Nintendo's handheld market? A market which iwata did not believe in for years and then had to admit defeat earlier this year?

If even NeoGAF realizes such mistakes early on, that is pretty telling. We may not all have managerial experience or work in a business-related function, but we do not live in a bubble either. Based on the 2010-2014 era, the same cannot be said about NCL management with certainty.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
N0EbPhH.jpg

I know I shouldn't judge by appearance, but this guy doesn't look that personable.

dat face. :|

ZhugeEX

Banned
In the press conference he said he won't be changing from Iwata's approach/strategy for current vision. He hopes to continue Nintendo's current performance to create a healthy profit this year.

Also said that new planning will happen in the future (in regards to pushing current strategy forward and into reality) of course as well as increased training for staff or something like that to build the future of the company leaders.

2K34GO6.jpg

Sandfox

What? It is.

And even if you are ignoring the profit there is still the GCN which was the base for the Wii. Yamauchi did some great and right calls after the N64.

It can be, but just saying that the company was profitable during his tenure ignores the long term effect decisions made at that time had on the company.

In the press conference he said he won't be changing from Iwata's vision. He hopes to continue Nintendo's current performance to create a healthy profit this year.

That makes sense given that Nintendo has been working on following the vision Iwata had for a while now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
His name sounds delicious, like something you'd want to eat at a Sushi restaurant

Good luck, mr. President!

In the press conference he said he won't be changing from Iwata's approach/strategy for current vision. He hopes to continue Nintendo's current performance to create a healthy profit this year.

Also said that new planning will happen in the future (in regards to pushing current strategy forward and into reality) of course as well as increased training for staff or something like that.

2K34GO6.jpg

He got new glasses! A good start! Welcome Kimishima-san and good luck!

GCX

- Also, Takahashi has been appointed as supervisor of the "Business Development Division". Another new division? Something along the line of Iwata's Corporate Planning Division (of which he was the general manager in the years before he became president), perhaps?

This is a really good analysis. Thanks!

TheMoon

Cool cool dude; oh so hey have you played Balloon Fight?

You looked at game credits without looking at what they were actually for. He was NOA CEO during that time, hence his Special Thanks appearance in all the games you mentioned. He's not "the Mario Party guy" or anything.

SteveTR

Hmm, this seems like an okay choice. Considering the guy was already the CEO of a major part of the company, Nintendo should be fine.

Can't wait to see what sort of public image he will maintain.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Seems more like a transitional CEO.

Yep. Hopefully that transition isn't too long and in the next 5 years a bold new non-Takeda and non-Miyamoto set rises to the top with a bold new CEO too. Especially since theyre "stepping back" but sometimes thats not enough as their ghosts linger on and still keep departments on the same ol' same ol' out of respect.

Takahashi seems like the current frontrunner but I don't know enough about him to know what directional leanings he has.

maxcriden

That's very interesting. He was the guy who was president of NOA before Reggie.

He's definitely not going to be as open to the gaming community like Iwata was. He's never made any significant public appearances, as far as I know.

Not to give you a hard time and I know a lot of people have been saying things like this and things about his appearance, but we really have no idea what he plans to do as President so he may be extremely downtown earth and completely put himself out there in the public eye as Iwata-san did. We really have no idea at this point. Just FWIW.

Seanlole

You guys asking for another developer to become president, let me say something:
People with an internal view of the delelopment-creative process, not always has an strong concept of the global view of the business. Iwata was an exception of this and that was why he became president: he was a ceo before and yamauchi foresaw him as a good succesor.
Also, people asking for a younger person, let me remember that iwata sadly lasted for only 13 years, maybe the same time kimishima will be president before retiring (at 75, i guess).

Scum

Hm, that's a good point, they have not yet announced that, have they?

Kimishima might just resume his duties like Iwata did both. Someone internal (i.e. Fils-Aime) might get promoted. I don't think any big shakeup will happen. Either Kimishima will just reach a little further to cover ground he's familiar with or someone will move up.

I've always thought Reggie will get the CEO job, tbh.

E-phonk

Banned
If they want the CEO to be part of the board of directors, I don't think reggie will get it. They will want someone who speaks Japanese.
The meetings are in japenese, and I doubt they want translators at their board meetings.

Top Bottom