• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 5 |OT| 100+ episodes and better than ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure that old pony that had a crush on uh..."Cousin Orchard Blossom" was based on Joe E. Brown's character from Some Like it Hot. Just needed the famous "well, nobody's perfect" line.

Pretty sure that old pony that had a crush on uh..."Cousin Apple Orchid" was based on Joe E. Brown's character from Some Like it Hot. Just needed the famous "well, nobody's perfect" line.

Oh, that makes sense.

Also, comment I saw quoted by another comment on another board that makes sense:
I think we all now know the real reason why Big Mac dreamed to be an Alicorn princess in the episode 'Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?' He just wanted to be a hero in the spotlight since his sister and the rest of the Mane 6 always go on some dangerous adventures that involves saving the world from evil but all he ever does is just sit back while Applejack and his friends do all the really dangerous stuff.

Fluttershy's brother is actually in season 6, not this season.

Well there goes my idea of a shocking reveal that her brother (and thus her) is part of one of the warring families in "Hooffields and McColts".

By the way, underrated part of the new episode:
517-00031.png

And as ED's episode followup points out, there are a lot of new background characters with good designs.

Yet we somehow still have a bunch of clones changelings in the stands. I'm left wondering if it was intentional this time.
517-00114.png

Similar shot from "Sisterhooves Social", super small for some reason.
latest

And this was a nice shot:
517-00133.png

draetenth

I'm looking forward to seeing what Fluttershy's brother looks like.

Isn't Fluttershy the only one who we haven't seen any family of (though we barely saw Rainbow Dashes father)?

Nohar

Well, that was an interesting episode, to say the least.

The beginning was rather good. I pretty much had the same reaction as the fillies when Cousin Orchid showed up. I was between "This is going to be fun!" and "This may become cliche and offensive, and I really hope they won't screw this up". Thanksfully, no one was fooled for a second (beside that male judge). Sadly, some events were rather cringe-worthy. That being said, it was interesting to see Big Mac went to great lenghts to make his sister happy, though we also know now that it is also because he developed quite the inferiority complex. The ending definitly was the highlight of the episode, and was very well done.

Overall, the episode helped to flesh out Big Mac as a character, and that ending was one of the most powerful scenes of the show.

Friends Forever #21 (Spike and Zecora) was pretty decent. It was interesting to see their shared immunity to the disease cause them to bond over not being ponies, and there weren't any particularly painful rhymes from Zecora. Zecora having a bird bodyguard is pretty weird, in an amusing way. It was rather silly that they took so long to figure out the source of the disease, especially since
the source being a wheat fungus means that it shouldn't have spread in a way that resembled a communicable disease in the first place. Did that wheat farmer replace every single wheat product at the start of the day?
Still, it was a fun issue with cute art.

Comic Con announcements

Chibi Equestria Girls dolls. I don't like the normal dolls, but I actually think these are cute. I notice that Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash have slightly different outfits--a blue skirt instead of green and straight-up shorts instead of a skirt respectively.
Capture.PNG

The artist of the seaponies picture book is making a new one about dragons! Once again, a premise that I would have liked to have seen in the show. Other than the color of Fluttershy's wings, the ponies look more like the show versions, thankfully. In the first book, the artist used the toys as references, so everyone had weird faces and such.
blogger-image--85456848.jpg

And official reveal of the final episode of the season before the finale. EDIT: Oh wait, one more episode after that.

"The Hooffields and McColts"
S05, E23(First Aired: November 14, 2015)
Synopsis:
Princess Twilight and Fluttershy are called by the map to settle a dispute between two feuding families who can't even remember why they are fighting.

PaulloDEC

Comic Con announcements

Chibi Equestria Girls dolls. I don't like the normal dolls, but I actually think these are cute. I notice that Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash have slightly different outfits--a blue skirt instead of green and straight-up shorts instead of a skirt respectively.
Capture.PNG

Aww, those are really cute! If I cared about EG a little more I'd probably consider grabbing a few.

Still waiting for some small, cheap, show-accurate pony figures. I think I might be waiting a long time.

Aww, those are really cute! If I cared about EG a little more I'd probably consider grabbing a few.

Still waiting for some small, cheap, show-accurate pony figures. I think I might be waiting a long time.

Haven't they been doing that for a while, though? The mini figures have been getting more show accurate and have been covering more show characters with unique looks. These were unveiled just yesterday, and there were more before that, which you can find at that site.

They're not super amazing, but they seem to fit your requirements.

PaulloDEC

Haven't they been doing that for a while, though? The mini figures have been getting more show accurate and have been covering more show characters with unique looks. These were unveiled just yesterday, and there were more before that, which you can find at that site.

They're not super amazing, but they seem to fit your requirements.

Oh they're actually not bad! How many have they released? I could see myself getting a Mane 6 set if they were ever to release one.

Oh they're actually not bad! How many have they released? I could see myself getting a Mane 6 set if they were ever to release one.

It's the same line of mini-figures that used to have Fluttershy just be a recolor of Rainbow Dash, but in the last couple of years, they've been improving the line with a better variety of unique figures, including a Fluttershy that looks like Fluttershy. I'm not sure if there has been a recent release with the main characters together--I get the impression they are typically each packaged with other characters to encourage people to buy different sets--but someone is probably selling them either individually or together online somewhere. It's probably better to ask someone who actually collects the toys.

All of the Friendship Games deleted scenes leaked, and wow, there are some big differences. Most notably:

* Pony Twilight actually does come to Dougworld when Sunset asks, but apparently comes and goes before the scene where they meet Dougworld Twilight. Oddly, they act like the only reason Sunset would want to go back to Equestria is because of how weird the Dougworld magic system is.

* In the original ending, Dougworld Twilight chooses to stay at Crystal Prep and makes friends with the other Shadowbolts. Sunset decides to stay in Dougworld because it's fine if magic is unpredictable; no mention of Celestia is made or anything.

PaulloDEC

The Funko Mystery Minis would be decent if they weren't black.
Racist!

I don't mind those, though the weirdly bulbous heads and bizarre jet-black coats are a bit offputting. I'm just picky, really.

All of the Friendship Games deleted scenes leaked, and wow, there are some big differences. Most notably:

* Pony Twilight actually does come to Dougworld when Sunset asks, but apparently comes and goes before the scene where they meet Dougworld Twilight. Oddly, they act like the only reason Sunset would want to go back to Equestria is because of how weird the Dougworld magic system is.

* In the original ending, Dougworld Twilight chooses to stay at Crystal Prep and makes friends with the other Shadowbolts. Sunset decides to stay in Dougworld because it's fine if magic is unpredictable; no mention of Celestia is made or anything.

Man, that kind of makes me dislike what we got, because those scenes are so much better.

I really like the coffee shop scene, that's a nice little moment for Sunset and Twi. The "alt-Twi goes back to CP" one... eh, seems kind a pretty big u-turn for the students.

Sunset's last scene was pretty nice too, though I guess without the conflicted story thread it wouldn't have made any sense.

Sciz

Yeesh. Now I'm even more happy that they tabled the "should Sunset go home" plot thread for now. It's an idea worth tackling, but centering the conflict around the differences in magic theory between worlds feels incredibly artificial. Not a fan of everyone at CP suddenly being BFFs with no apparent buildup either.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised to see so many people (here and elsewhere) wanting the deleted scenes to have been included in the final movie. My reaction when I watched it was that it was an obviously weak subplot that took an idea that had potential--Sunset wanting to go back to Equestira--but came up with a bizarre reason for her desire when there were more obvious ones available, and didn't actually do much with it. Plus, you know, there's still absolutely nothing stopping her from just visiting.

My guess is that the crew realized that this subplot was half-baked and wanted to save Sunset wanting to go back to Equestria for a story that could actually support it. As for Twilight originally staying at Crystal Prep, I probably would have cared more if the Shadowbolts actually got some development, but as is, Twilight has no reason to think that they'd treat her the way she wants to be treated.

In other news, apparently it's the 5th Anniversary of the first episode of Friendship is Magic! And airing on this momentous day is... a Cutie Mark Crusader episode. I guess that works.

Oddly enough, despite the past few episodes getting previews, this one hasn't, and in general, we know surprisingly little about this one. Will the title actually connect to the rest of the episode? Will the CMC being silhouettes in the cast picture for the season actually mean one or more of them getting cutie marks? Or is it just related to some gag? Or is it just entirely a misdirection?

UberTag

In other news, apparently it's the 5th Anniversary of the first episode of Friendship is Magic! And airing on this momentous day is... a Cutie Mark Crusader episode. I guess that works.

Oddly enough, despite the past few episodes getting previews, this one hasn't, and in general, we know surprisingly little about this one. Will the title actually connect to the rest of the episode? Will the CMC being silhouettes in the cast picture for the season actually mean one or more of them getting cutie marks? Or is it just related to some gag? Or is it just entirely a misdirection?
I suppose we'll find out in a few short hours. That said, the CMC getting their cutie marks would make for one heck of a 5th anniversary present.
It just feels like they haven't built up much in the way of anticipation for it so I have my doubts.

All of the Friendship Games deleted scenes leaked, and wow, there are some big differences.

I think I like the character designs and poses of the first two storyboards more than the final movie. :|

Yeesh. Now I'm even more happy that they tabled the "should Sunset go home" plot thread for now. It's an idea worth tackling, but centering the conflict around the differences in magic theory between worlds feels incredibly artificial. Not a fan of everyone at CP suddenly being BFFs with no apparent buildup either.

Same here. It definitely explains her hesitation to go seek out Twilight, but I chalked that up to other things. "Magic makes sense there" is a strange angle; the deleted scenes in combination with the movie, they were seemingly pushing Sunset back into a "magic researcher" role.

DW Twilight going back sort of makes sense, as Shimmer and Pony Twilight take her role, and leaving Crystal Prep as it is is odd, but I guess the argument is "DW Twilight has more to learn first."

It may be a cmc episode, but it is written by amy keating rogers so I have high hopes. Not all cmc episodes are bad....hearts and hooves day is good

It may be a cmc episode, but it is written by amy keating rogers so I have high hopes. Not all cmc episodes are bad....hearts and hooves day is good

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that. Fans generally stopped automatically thinking a CMC episode would be weak a bit into season 2.

And ED reminded me, I forgot how great this gif was. (From Babs Seed's intro episode, I believe)
468043__safe_applejack_animated_screencap_upvotes%252Bgalore_scootaloo_sweetie%252Bbelle_apple%252Bbloom_cutie%252Bmark%252Bcrusaders_derp.gif

McNum

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that. Fans generally stopped automatically thinking a CMC episode would be weak a bit into season 2.

And ED reminded me, I forgot how great this gif was. (From Babs Seed's intro episode, I believe)
468043__safe_applejack_animated_screencap_upvotes%252Bgalore_scootaloo_sweetie%252Bbelle_apple%252Bbloom_cutie%252Bmark%252Bcrusaders_derp.gif
I wonder where the loop point is in that gif, it's pretty hard to find. I want to say it's at the start of when Scootaloo jumps from right to left, but I'm not entirely convinced.

So, yes. Good gif.

At this point I anticipate the Fandom's reactions to new episodes more then the episodes themselves.

This one will be fun to watch the reactions to. Much pictures will be browsed.

draetenth

Damn, this was certainly a packed episode. The Diamond Tiara redemption episode I've seen people ask for and some new cutie marks (they made sense to me).

I wonder what this means for the Cutie Mark Crusaders now? They did say they want to help others find their cutie marks (which was funny because it seemed like there were a number of ponies missing theirs - like Button Mash who I could of sworn had a joystick before).

I'm not really sure how I felt about the episode itself (I guess I was meh? I didn't really love it, but I didn't hate it, it certainly was plot filled). For one thing, there was way too much singing which I don't really care for and imo the songs weren't that good anyway.

Pipsqueak is tiny compared to everyone else. I was kind of disappointed with his plotline as it was only there for Diamond Tiara

It seemed out that Silver Spoon turned on Diamond Tiara just like that, but I guess it's supposed to be the culmination of things from previous seasons where Silver Spoon wasn't ever treated fairly.

Some good facial expressions in this one (I liked the face Diamond Tiara made in the clubhouse).

If nothing else, the Cutie Mark Crusaders episodes were usually my least favorite ones because of how stupid the crusaders were in their quests (usually ignoring the obvious) so maybe we've finally seen an end of those episodes.

McNum

They did it? They did it! They actually did it!

Cutie Marks in being the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and they got a matching set! I'm not terribly surprised that's what it ended up as, but I'm still glad it happened.

This is easily my favorite episode of the series so far. Way to go, Cutie Mark Crusaders. And way to go show writers for actually breaking up the status quo like that. This has been the CMC's reason to be in the show from their very first shared episode, and now it's fulfilled. This is really brave, and it's not even in a season finale or anything.

I am looking forward to the next Cutie Mark Crusaders episode. Because I have no idea what it will be about now. And that's refreshing.

WOW!! I can't believe that happened! It was great, really great. I loved it. I love the musical episodes and this one was very emotional. Holy cow, they actually made a reference to AJ's parents, which is something I thought they would never, ever do. "If mom and dad were here, they'd be so proud of you." *tears* Derpy had her mail mare uniform on for the first time in the show's history too. I feel like this is the perfect solution for the cmc. It keeps doing what people like about them, but in a whole new way.

Bravo Amy Keating Rogers. Bravo. No wonder why Disney wanted to hire you.

EDIT- Happy birthday MLP! 5 years old!!!!

draetenth

The best part about the cutie marks: 1) represents how close the CMC are, 2) they each have a secondary symbol inside to represent them - song note for sweetie belle (makes the most sense), apple for apple bloom (thought it would be something construction related, but still makes sense while keeping with the apple family theme), scootaloo's didn't really make too much sense to me though (unless I couldn't see it right, but it looked like it was just a feather?).

I forget to mention earlier, I liked seeing some continuity with their powers: Sweetie was using her magic more (she even lifted up pipsqueak) and scootaloo looks like she can hover a bit.

UberTag

Man, was that one hell of an amazing musical episode or what? Transitioned from a long overdue Diamond Tiara breakout to the CMC finally getting their showcase achievement by showing somepony else how to live up to their own cutie mark.

One of the rare episodes where I simply can't imagine it being executed any better.
p0QHO.gif

Here's to another 5 years Friendship is Magic!

The best part about the cutie marks: 1) represents how close the CMC are, 2) they each have a secondary symbol inside to represent them - song note for sweetie belle (makes the most sense), apple for apple bloom (thought it would be something construction related, but still makes sense while keeping with the apple family theme), scootaloo's didn't really make too much sense to me though (unless I couldn't see it right, but it looked like it was just a feather?).
It's a lightning bolt inside a feather.
Yeah, all three of the cutie marks have a shape inside of another shape like those hybrid Lucky Charms marshmallow shapes.

Sweetie Belle = Music note inside of a star
Apple Bloom = Heart inside of an apple
Scootaloo = Lightning bolt inside of a feather/pegasus wing

I think the toughest sell for me has actually been the red-white-blue striped color scheme for the shields.

CMC%20Cutie%20Marks_zpszrnotmpp.png

Orcastar

This was pretty much a CMC version of Magical Mystery Cure. Really packed, lots of songs, huge change at the end. Felt almost like the pilot to a spinoff.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think the toughest sell for me has actually been the red-white-blue striped color scheme for the shields.

Not really red/white/blue. Each color represents a CMC

Red = Apple Bloom
Pink = Sweetie Belle
Purple = Scootaloo

Holy crap, they did it! Those crazy sons of bitches actually did it! I never really expected this episode to be anything special, let alone give the CMC their cutie marks! Well, up until the episode revealed itself to be a full musical, whereupon I got suspicious. The flow being surprisingly similar to "Magical Mystery Cure" was definitely the clincher.

I almost started tearing up at points toward the end. Three in particular were Diamond Tiara actually being happy helping set up the playground and discovering her real purpose, the CMC's big sisters (and Dash) congratulating them, and the flashback montage. I like how the thing that gave them their cutie marks was helping the girl that brought them together in the first place, and I like how their new goal is to help others understand their cutie marks. Though it does occur to me that this means the Cutie Mark God screwed up somewhere, if so many ponies misunderstand their roles in life yet still have cutie marks.

I admit, I was hoping for the series to give the girls cutie marks one at a time for the drama that would come from that, but they handled giving the girls their marks all at once better than I could have imagined. I suppose "Bloom and Gloom" will have to suffice for presenting the former premise.

The songs were good. The ones that stick out to me are "Vote for Pip" and "We'll Leave Our Marks". This is definitely one where I'll rewatch all the songs as soon as someone puts them up. "Let the Rainbow Remind You" had the superior end-on-a-photo scene, though.

I do have two complaints, though. First, Diamond Tiara standing up to her mother in the end was a bit sudden, in that during the "Stop" song, there wasn't enough to show that the CMC's arguments were getting through to her. Second, as of right now, I don't actually like the color scheme of the shields in the CMC's cutie marks, and it looks ugly on all three of them. I'm sure I'll get used to that, though.

ZealousD

Though it does occur to me that this means the Cutie Mark God screwed up somewhere, if so many ponies misunderstand their roles in life yet still have cutie marks.

"Obviously I've known that since I've gotten my cutie mark that my talent is getting other ponies to do what I want."

She understood her cutie mark perfectly. She just had a lapse in judgement on how she gets other ponies to do what she wants, and what it is that she actually wants.

"Obviously I've known that since I've gotten my cutie mark that my talent is getting other ponies to do what I want."

She understood her cutie mark perfectly. She just had a lapse in judgement on how she gets other ponies to do what she wants, and what it is that she actually wants.

Well, there was also Troubleshoes earlier this season, who had no clue what to do with his cutie mark.

Anyway, something I noticed is that both this and the previous episode actually referenced the world-saving adventures of the Main Six, with "Brotherhooves Social" bringing them up generally and this episode particularly mentioning Discord and Tirek's rampages. This is something the show hasn't really done before in slice of life episodes (not involving Discord). I wonder if they may be emphasizing these events because the time traveling in the finale will be changing all of them.

ZealousD

I wonder if they may be emphasizing these events because the time traveling in the finale will be changing all of them.

The Butterfly Effect! Without Tirek's rampage the swing would never have broken, Pip wouldn't have failed as class president, Diamond Tiara wouldn't have stood up to her mother, and the CMC would never have gotten their cutie marks!

We must save the future by undoing the D-Mail that stopped Tirek's rampage and reach Steins Gate!

Cutie Marks for Crusading Cutie Marks?

It kinda makes sense. In a world full of Magic and science, there just doesn't seem to be a lot known about Cutie Mark magic. Somebody should be task in finding out as much about them as possible.

ZealousD

Somebody should be task in finding out as much about them as possible.

When you have cutie marks, everypony has a clear understanding of what their role in society is. Your "destiny" in relation to your special talents and what you should be doing for the rest of your life is permanently etched on your very body. It keeps people in line. Almost as if they are being controlled...

And who would have the ultimate magic necessary perpetuate such a system of control? Why, the ponies' very own ruler and God-Empress, of course! Celestia!

Celestia created the Cutie Mark System as a means of total control over pony society! She can keep a perfect balance in pony society of trades and occupations while simultaneously ensuring that no pony can believe that their destiny is to usurp her! A dastardly plot indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom