• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Xeon CPUs not compatible with consumer chipsets (Z170, H170, etc)

Randam

german source only so far: http://www.computerbase.de/2015-10/...errt-geheimtipp-cpus-fuer-desktop-chipsaetze/

a lot of people, at least in germany, were buying Xeon CPUs as an alternative to the i7 CPUs and were using them with normal h97 socket boards.

now, if you want to use the new Xeon CPUs it seems like you need the special C232 or C236 boards.

you need boards that aren't avaible yet and will come with a lot of stuff most people won't need and there for will be more expensive.

AMD really has to step up their game with Zen.

Danj

I'm confused, when have Xeons ever been compatible with consumer grade chipsets? I thought they always had a different number of pins?

german source only so far: http://www.computerbase.de/2015-10/...errt-geheimtipp-cpus-fuer-desktop-chipsaetze/

a lot of people, at least in germany, were buying Xeon CPUs as an alternative to the i7 CPUs and were using the with normal z97 or h97 socket boards.

now, if you want to use the new Xeon CPUs it seems like you need the special C232 or C236 boards.

those boards aren't avaible yet and will come with a lot of stuff most people won't need.

AMD really has to step up their game with Zen.

Why ?

PantsuJo

Why use a Xeon CPU to play?
It's like using the NVIDIA Quadro GPUs for PC gaming but they are specialized for rendering and poor optimized for other jobs.

Why should they?

*scratches head*

Because those Xeons were basically i7 cpus minus integrated graphics. You are going to have a graphics card on a gaming pc anyway. The Xeon gave you i7 performance at i5 prices. The extra cpu power is especially useful if you want to stream.

It's like using the NVIDIA Quadro GPUs for PC gaming but they are specialized for rendering and poor optimized for other jobs.

No, the Xeons in question are literally i7 CPUs minus integrated graphics.

Because those Xeons were basically i7 cpus minus integrated graphics. You are going to have a graphics card on a gaming pc anyway. The Xeon gave you i7 performance at i5 prices. The extra cpu power is especially useful if you want to stream.

No, the Xeons in question are literally i7 CPUs minus integrated graphics.

Are you sure that's the only difference?

Drame

okay, seems like you always needed special sockets.
text made it seem like, that was something new.
am confused a little.
Not really. Currently rocking Xeon 1230v3 on a normal H87 board.

Sometimes it feels like Xeon cpu's are the best kept secret in pc gaming.

Randam

Not really. Currently rocking Xeon 1230v3 on a normal H87 board.

Sometimes it feels like Xeon cpu's are the best kept secret in pc gaming.

yeah, searched a little bit.

old xeon works with "normal" H87 or 97 boards.
now you'll need more expensive server-boards.

Vaettir

He's not wrong about it. But lack of quick sync is kind of a hit and miss to some streamers. Spec wise, there is virtually nothing different side from ECC support, binned chips, and lack of integrated graphics.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/417/Intel_Core_i7_i7-4790_vs_Intel_Xeon_E3-1230_v3.html

yeah, searched a little bit.

old xeon works with "normal" H87 or 97 boards.
now you'll need more expensive server-boards.

Most motherboards support Xeon's as long as you update the bios and check for CPU compatibility.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Actually the worst part of this news is that there won't be AVX-3 in the consumer space anytime soon. Good job, Intel.

Yes. There are (or were) two types to CPUs branded Xeon. The ones that use the LGA1150 Socket are i7s without integrated graphics. These were Xeon E3s. Xeon E5s are the ones that use the LGA2011 socket and are more specialized.

The Xeon E3s where a great deal for a gaming PC.

aeolist

Banned
xeons have been compatible with consumer chipsets for years now, and were often a better value in the low and mid range

kabel

I use a Xeon E3-1230v3 myself, such a good price/perf ratio. Basically an i7 4770 without the iGPU and 50€ cheaper. (when I bought it 2 years ago)

Such a shame it's not an option with Skylake anymore.

another source: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Skylake-S-Codename-260925/News/Xeon-E3-1230-v5-Testlabor-1174932/

lol, what? They are the same chips, which are used for the i5/i7...atleast the E3 Xeons.

Intel_Xeon_E3-1231_v3_Crysis_3-pcgh.png

I'm confused, when have Xeons ever been compatible with consumer grade chipsets? I thought they always had a different number of pins?
I run a xeon x5675 (6core/12 thread) on a Asus x58 rampage II mildly overclocked to 4ghz. Great little cpu dirt cheap 2nd hand, but the price of compatible x58 boards is getting rather silly now.

But if you've got a i7 920/930 it's well worth the upgrade.

That's funny because rendering is a job that is very relevant in gaming.
As others mentioned, the Xeons in question offered good bang for buck, partly because they lacked the IGP that is useless to many.

Kronik

Banned
When was the last time Xeons were worth it over an i7 or even an i5? What sort of deals could you get?

I mean, it's obviously a nonsense, why would it be so cheap without some specific deal or whatever? As far as I know from my pro tuner friends the last time that made sense was during the Nehalem era, and even then, only some specific models.

I have a xeon x5670 in a x58 motherboard. It cost about £60 (would be even cheaper if I sold on my i7 930). Best value upgrade ever, 50% more cores, faster and cooler.

kabel

When was the last time Xeons were worth it over an i7 or even an i5? What sort of deals could you get?

I mean, it's obviously a nonsense, why would it be so cheap without some specific deal or whatever? As far as I know from my pro tuner friends the last time that made sense was during the Nehalem era, and even then, only some specific models.

I bought my 1230v3 for 205€. 4C/8T without iGPU@3,3Ghz with boost to 3,7Ghz.
The same performance as an i7 4770 non K.

Today you pay 200€ for an i5....

blu

I bought my 1230v3 for 205€. 4C/8T without iGPU@3,3Ghz with boost to 3,7Ghz.
The same performance as an i7 4770 non K.

Today you pay 200€ for an i5....
4770 is 3.4 - 3.9GHz. But otherwise you're right - Xeons have been good deals for anybody who don't plant to overclock. Actually that has kept their prices down, so to speak.

blu

Last year Intel said, that the customer should decide if he wants a Xeon or Core CPU. And the only diference between them ist the iGPU, which most gamer don`t even use.

Full interview: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/CPU-Hardware-154106/Specials/Interview-mit-Intel-zum-Erfolg-des-Xeon-E3-1230-v3-1111835/
There are many things that will change from 'things Intel said during past years' - Tick-Tock, margins, etc. Intel is slowly retreating to their citadel and barricading the doors.

lmimmfn

I have a xeon x5670 in a x58 motherboard. It cost about £60 (would be even cheaper if I sold on my i7 930). Best value upgrade ever, 50% more cores, faster and cooler.
rocking a Xeon x5650 here, cost 80euro, 6 cores/12 threads, overclocks well beyond my old i7 920, running it overclocked at 4.4Ghz 24/7 and temps only hit 65C( compared to 87C on my 920@3.8Ghz )

Its a real shame if Intel prevent them working on consumer chipsets, where theyre advantageous as like what happened with X58 mobos, if you keep the same PC for a few years, server farms will be upgrading servers in bulk and there will be tonnes of older Xeon CPU's for dirt cheap on ebay. Also great if your old cpu bites the dust.

ZOONAMI

Glad I'm rocking a 1231v3! Seriously microcenter sells them for $209. Makes absolutely no sense to buy a 4790.

Gruso

Educational thread! Shame I'm so late to the party, but I am running an older mobo with a non-K i5, so maybe it's worth doing some homework...

Orayn

Had no idea this was still a thing. Takes me back to the early days of AMD dual cores when people were getting Opterons and overclocking since there was a decent chance your $200 Opteron would beat a $450 Athlon X2 4400+.

Top Bottom