• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas quips he sold 'Star Wars' to "white slavers," criticizes tone of TFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

The fact that again there's a shady guy behind scenes that has a disfigured face is hilarious, we've seen that concept in EVERY single Star Wars movie now.

Also I agree with jett, the whole idea behind the new Death Star is absolutely ridiculous. Easily the worst part of the film.

I'm hoping Snoke dies early in episode VIII and Knights of Ren are established as the main threat moving forward, I want something like the Judges in Final Fantasy XII. Snoke is just an overused and tired cliche that this franchise needs to drop like a hot rock.

Snoke like Starkiller base is lazy shit. Palpatine is the evilest mofo to ever exist and achieves the dream the sith have been after for millennia but oh nevermind in the shadows was some eviler dude who had just been Netflix and chilling.

Be a lot more impactful to have Snoke be Palpatine. Turns out the old bastard actually did know how to cheat death and in his big fuck you to Anakin let Padme die because it was all part of his plan.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
"Every movie, I worked very hard to make them different," Lucas told Rose. "I made them completely different -- different planets, different spaceships to make it new."

Tatooine /ˌtætuːˈiːn/ is a fictional desert planet that serves as the setting for many key scenes in the Star Wars saga, appearing in every Star Wars film except The Empire Strikes Back.

anigif_enhanced-25243-1395690798-1.gif

I can appreciate what he's saying, but it's pretty ironic that he's the one saying it being that he's the one who made the prequels that a lot of people hate. TFA was obviously an attempt to wash the bad taste of the prequels out of peoples mouth and have a safe set up movie that felt like the old ones.

Davey Cakes

The fact that again there's a shady guy behind scenes that has a disfigured face is hilarious, we've seen that concept in EVERY single Star Wars movie now.

Also I agree with jett, the whole idea behind the new Death Star is absolutely ridiculous. Easily the worst part of the film.

I'm hoping Snoke dies early in episode VIII and Knights of Ren are established as the main threat moving forward, I want something like the Judges in Final Fantasy XII. Snoke is just an overused and tired cliche that this franchise needs to drop like a hot rock.
100% agreed. TFA would have been an A rather than a B with just a few slight tweaks.

I mean, honestly, the things they got wrong are so wrong that I'm surprised they weren't re-worked. Like, nobody stopped and thought that Snoke was a terrible choice? No one thought that another Death Star would be a boring idea?

Thankfully, there's so much about the movie that COULD have gone wrong but didn't, that the blunders are forgivable.

That said, I have even higher hopes for EpVIII.

Hell, he *created* movie merchandising.

Well yeah, basically. Though Disney was doing movie merchandising before Lucas, but Lucas basically showed the rest of Hollywood how it should be done.

That's exactly what he says in the video can be summarized to "Meh, didnt like this one's tone very much, I'd would've used new designs, but whatever"

It's funny, the backlash of the prequel trilogy made the nostalgia for the original trilogy resonate even stronger with audiences. Disney was servicing that need with Episode 7. It plays on peoples nostalgia to bring things back to the Star Wars that people originally fell in love with.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Honestly I was hoping somehow that Death Star was somehow gonna be a different take on that kinda Superweapon. Really disappointed how it was literally the same role as the previous ones.

As for the Knights of Ren over Snoke...we barely even know anything about the Knights and Snoke. As dumb as I think Snoke is, I think an order of just some Vader fanboys in a some masks is not a good series of antagonists.

Was it established that Knights of Ren are Darth Vader fanboys? I'm hoping they are Sith-level force users and that Kylo Ren was the only Darth Vader fanboy among them.

Basically I like the concept of a small group of powerful villains specializing in one aspect of the force.

Azuran

Banned
I can't believe people actually say Lucas sucks when it comes to creative. For every Jar Jar, there's 10 amazing planets, characters, or ships/weapons that he brought to life.

Star Wars fans are the worst fans in history. I never seen a fanbase so salty at the creator that created everything they love so much.

I would have rather seen Tatooine again than that uninspired and rehashed desert planet in Force Awakens.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
He wrote 3 drafts of ESB. The big twist was his idea. He just chose not to credit himself with them. He also had has hands all over production. It was his baby the same way all the Star Wars movies and Indiana Jones movies were. Lets not act like it wasn't because his name technically appears in the credits lol.

Also, even though Richard Marquand was the credited director of ROTJ, Lucas directed a huge amount of the film behind the scenes, since Marquand had trouble directing action scenes. It was Lucas who directed all the Death Star throne room scenes, which are considered the best parts of the film.

Gorillaz

I never fully got the George Lucas hate over the years for SW. Yea the prequels were shit, and unless I am incorrect, but last I checked that world/lore for the most part was his creation for the most part. At the end of the day he can pretty much say what he wants about it.

I would honestly look at TFA with a side eye too if I was him and saw what the final story was.

Fj0823

I can't believe people actually say Lucas sucks when it comes to creative. For every Jar Jar, there's 10 amazing planets, characters, or ships/weapons that he brought to life.

Star Wars fans are the worst fans in history. I never seen a fanbase so salty at the creator that created everything they love so much.

I would have rather seen Tatooine again than that uninspired and rehashed desert planet in Force Awakens.

hmmmm Soccer fans?

Red Mage

I think the idea that many of the characters are done with practical effects and makeup actually sickens him. He fell in love with the green screen in the prequels.

Yeah, I remember that at one point, Lucas was wanting to wait until he could just use CGI completely and not have to work with actual actors for the sequels.

*edit* and for people complaining about TFA as a retread, I am guessing that they don't realize that ANH is a retread of The Hidden Fortress.

ExVicis

Was it established that Knights of Ren are Darth Vader fanboys? I'm hoping they are Sith-level force users and that Kylo Ren was the only Darth Vader fanboy among them.
It's possible but I can't see why they would all wear the helmets if they weren't. If Kylo's their leader I imagine they're probably as young or younger and probably share his ideals.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Even if the prequels do get a lot more shit than they deserve, they were still a massive fumble, and it's all on Lucas for not delegating as much as he should have. Hard to blame Disney for wanting to take it in their own direction.

yeahokay.gif I must have missed the junkyard scavenger planet they rehashed that from in the previous six films. Jakku's biome isn't nearly as important as what's on it.

Speevy

Banned
Lucas insisted on smothering all of his planets with traffic and battles. TFA at least gives the places room to breathe.

aliengmr

You mean that fanbase that made the franchise like the most profitable in history? Yea worst ever.

Sandfox

The only thing the prequels did well imo was creating new ships and planets. Those movies did not feel like Star Wars in terms of the direction the story went and made me like the old characters a lot less. VII retreaded quite a bit but I felt it did a good job establishing a new status quo which I can't say for episode I.

Fj0823

Now that I think about it, wasn't most of episode 1 on tatotine

Yeah and the plot involved a child slave racing in a scifi vehicle to win his freedom and gp out to become a Jedi

Vs

A movie set in a planet different to Tatooine, but not really, with an Imperial force looking for a droid that carries vital informacion for a rebellious Resistance, only for the droid to be found by a force sensitive farmer....err...Scanvenger.

The "The prequels ripped off too!" argument doesn't work, the prequels had themes, fanservice and references, TFA was following ANH's story beat by beat.

Soul_Pie

Also, even though Richard Marquand was the credited director of ROTJ, Lucas directed a huge amount of the film behind the scenes, since Marquand had trouble directing action scenes. It was Lucas who directed all the Death Star throne room scenes, which are considered the best parts of the film.

Lucas' action scenes are in some ways extremely underrated, at least the ones in the old movies, he's a bloody good action director when he wants to be. He had to mix space battles, gunfights, sword fighting and somehow make it all cohesive, thematically and tonally consistent as well as create tension and threat. Look at the way that everything leads up to the assault on the death star in the first film; the threat is established and rises throughout the film, a small window of time to attack and destroy something that could literally destroy the planet you're on, a main hero who has to learn skills on the fly as well as a whole bunch of character development which takes place in the middle of it. The pacing, execution, editing, is masterful. There's a reason the original won a whole bunch of technical awards at the time.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah and the plot involved a child slave racing in a scifi vehicle to win his freedom and gp out to become a Jedi

Vs

A movie set in a planet different to Tatooine, but not really, with an Imperial force looking for a droid that carries vital informacion for a rebellious Resistance, only for the droid to be found by a force sensitive farmer....err...Scanvenger.

The "The prequels ripped off too!" argument doesn't work, the prequels had themes, fanservice and references, TFA was following ANH's story beat by beat.

I'd say one major difference in TFA is a radically different villain from what we've seen before. We're actually getting a rookie dark side user as the main antagonist.

Yeah, I remember that at one point, Lucas was wanting to wait until he could just use CGI completely and not have to work with actual actors for the sequels.

*edit* and for people complaining about TFA as a retread, I am guessing that they don't realize that ANH is a retread of The Hidden Fortress.

Eh, it's connection to the Hidden Fortress is overblown. There are definite connections, but still major differences. Oh what Star Wars would be like if C3P0 and R2d2 contemplated raping Leia.

The Hidden Fortress is an inspiration, but it's hardly a remake.

Fj0823

I'd say one major difference in TFA is a radically different villain from what we've seen before. We're actually getting a rookie dark side user as the main antagonist.

Well yeah the movie deviates significantly in the characterization department. But the way the story moves those characters around the galaxy is a straight rehash.

And I say this as someone who really liked the movie

aliengmr

But it was a desert planet, so totally the same.

Not like there are many choices as one of the hallmarks of Star Wars is single biome planets.

Davey Cakes

Well yeah the movie deviates significantly in the characterization department. But the way the story moves those characters around the galaxy is a straight rehash.

And I say this as someone who really liked the movie
I agree. The story beats were similar.

The way they were handled was different though, thanks to the characters and visuals.

I think we can all agree that there are rehashed elements in TFA. The difference comes with how severely that diminishes the experience. It's pretty clearly a case of "YMMV" from what I can tell. The annoying part is when people get on their high horses about it.

Any idiot can come up with creative planets and characters. The hard part is making them interesting and believable, which the prequels don't do. A middle schooler with too much time on his hands could have come up with all of the new stuff in the prequels if you gave him a multi billion dollar budget.

Like I'm pretty sure we all doodled little monsters and stuff in our notebooks when we were bored learning fractions, it's just that most of us had better sense than to come up with names like Kashyyk and Jet Daxter and Kit Fisto. "And there's a planet that's all a big city, and a planet full of bug people, and an ocean planet where people have big heads and make clones, and a Venice planet, and..."

Aylinato

Vs

No. Prequels are still worse, I don't care if "it has same elements" as the OT, the prequels almost killed Star Wars, TFA clearly brought it back

Dicktatorship

You'd think that Star Wars fans would have more respect for the creator of their franchise than to treat George like they do. Reading this thread has been a bit sad to think how ungrateful some of you are. I didn't like the prequels, I don't really agree with his comment. But I respect the man's opinion, and y'all should too.

Error

And the trilogy is gonna suffer because of it, there needs to be an immediate threat that challenges Rey and this movie established that Kylo Ren isn't that threat.

She looked pretty much unbeatable by the end and took out Ren with relative ease, and don't give me that garbage that he was hurt and mentally unstable, he should be able to dispatch someone that has yet to receive any training whatsoever with a lightsaber or with the force. And this a Rey that has yet to receive any formal training, just imaging how powerful she'll be once Luke trains her.

The movie did a poor job establishing Kylo Ren as a force to be reckoned with, even if he is a rookie of sorts. I just can't take him seriously after that fight with Rey.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
You'd think that Star Wars fans would have more respect for the creator of their franchise than to treat George like they do. Reading this thread has been a bit sad to think how ungrateful some of you are. I didn't like the prequels, I don't really agree with his comment. But I respect the man's opinion, and y'all should too.

It's a lot more than the prequels. He's also gone and changed things in the original films, both films he made and films other directors made. In addition, he's done his utmost to ensure the original versions are never released. He is demanding people accept his new versions and nothing else. He has apathy for anyone who disagrees with him. Even to the point that right before he sells the franchise, he makes even more changes that he knows people won't like.

I have no doubt that the "nooooo" he added to RotJ was just one final "fuck you" to the fans.

And the trilogy is gonna suffer because of it, there needs to be an immediate threat that challenges Rey and this movie established that Kylo Ren isn't that threat.

She looked pretty much unbeatable by the end and took out Ren with relative ease, and don't give me that garbage that he was hurt and mentally unstable, he should be able to dispatch someone that has yet to receive any training whatsoever with a lightsaber or with the force. And this a Rey that has yet to receive any formal training, just imaging how powerful she'll be once Luke trains her.

The movie did a poor job establishing Kylo Ren as a force to be reckoned with, even if he is a rookie of sorts. I just can't take him seriously after that fight with Rey.
I mean Kylo Ren was injured and was basically a shell of a man emotionally, but I think it's clear that he's gonna be fucking pissed enough in the next film to be motivated into being a bigger threat. You're not supposed to take him seriously, he can't take himself seriously now which is why he's going back to training.

Davey Cakes

Maybe that's the point?

They may take us off guard with Kylo Ren in the sequels. From the get-go I think we're meant to question his legitimacy as a villain. I kind of like that. He's not a traditional baddie, and he's not another Vader.

Error

It's not like Rey is going to sit on her ass and not do anything. She is going to train with the greatest Jedi, and is a natural with the force. Sorry but Kylo Ren needs a huge powerup for me to seriously consider him being a threat after his poor showing in Ep7.

I just realized he didn't direct Empire or Return of the Jedi.
But his hands were all over those films, people need to stop acting like he didn't do much in the OT after ANH.

Lunar15

He's off base elsewhere, but he's right on the retro thing.

But they had to do that after the prequels. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom