• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer XB270HU monitor review (144Hz 1440p IPS G-sync)

tokkun

I wonder when these two monitors are releasing. No real hint in the PR it seems.

TFTCentral expects December
https://twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/637368708541906944

Acer announced a couple new monitors as well, including an update to the titular XB270HU:

efjt8Sf.jpg

That's coming in November. Seems like it will be the same panel with a different frame/stand.

Jedi2016

Got one coming next week.. I feel like I'm waiting for a big upgrade.. lol. I know newer games will benefit from the resolution at the cost of performance, but older games will benefit from both.. higher resolution and significantly faster framerates. This will probably be an experience, since I've never gamed at anything higher than 60 before.

Jimrpg

Six months now and still loving my monitor though I haven't had the chance to really push it yet at 1440p and 144hz. Witcher 3 at 1440p and 60fps looks amazing though.

I just bought this. Someone tell me if I have a right to be pissed about this:

If I bring this back to the store should I expect all of them to be like this? Are my expectations too high for an IPS? This is shit.

Crzy1

If I bring this back to the store should I expect all of them to be like this? Are my expectations too high for an IPS? This is shit.

That looks like some serious backlight bleed and poor uniformity rather than just IPS glow. Sure you'll get some glow when off-center on IPS, but that's not what's going on there. Seems to be an issue with this monitor, have seen a lot of complaints about poor QA. How does it look in dark scenes when gaming? You might get lucky and get a good one if you take it back to have it replaced, but hard to say.

I really wanted this monitor when it came around, but after the customer reviews started to roll in on various online shops, I decided I should wait. Awesome on paper, but poor QA seems to be a large issue.

tokkun

It's hard for other people to know what it actually looks like when you take a picture in the dark, because the apparent amount of backlight bleeding it is going to be entirely dependent on the camera's exposure settings. A good sample and a bad sample may end up looking the same if photographed in the dark with automatic exposure.

Yes! Thanks. It looks like it isn't out yet though.

You have to wait for the new wave of G-Sync this holiday season, where it's all pretty expensive but there's a lot of support for curved displays, 21:9, etc. The current gen is all fairly conventional 1080p or 1440p sets (there is 1 4K set).

As best I can tell the manufacturers are nervous about the price add and the current war between FS/GS so they waited on next-gen G-Sync hardware before shipping.

It's hard for other people to know what it actually looks like when you take a picture in the dark, because the apparent amount of backlight bleeding it is going to be entirely dependent on the camera's exposure settings. A good sample and a bad sample may end up looking the same if photographed in the dark with automatic exposure.
What's the best practice for showing you a representative example?

I can absolutely see the bleed during normal use. In dark scenes, and even in some not very dark scenes.

I can absolutely see the bleed during normal use. In dark scenes, and even in some not very dark scenes.

If it bothers you return/exchange it. I have the same monitor and have never noticed any backlight bleed during normal use. I haven't tried taking a photo in a dark room either, mind you.

Razzorn34

Is this considered the best GSync monitor out there? Anything new on the horizon?

I'm still waiting for the Asus PG2749Q(144Hz, 27-inch, 2560x1440, IPS). It was supposed to be out by now, but has since been delayed. I hear they might be out sometime this month.

Chris R

I'm still waiting for the Asus PG2749Q(144Hz, 27-inch, 2560x1440, IPS). It was supposed to be out by now, but has since been delayed. I hear they might be out sometime this month.

Is the 4 new in the model number? Or is that a different model from the PG279Q?

I'm just hoping it's a good monitor, I've been waiting for something that has Gsync and HDMI, but if it's a stinker I'll have to start searching again.

Razzorn34

Is the 4 new in the model number? Or is that a different model from the PG279Q?

I'm just hoping it's a good monitor, I've been waiting for something that has Gsync and HDMI, but if it's a stinker I'll have to start searching again.

Yeah, it's PG279Q. The 4 was a mistake of pcgamer. I hear ya man. I want to jump on one of these, but there are still way too many RMA horror stories for me to jump on anything currently out.

tokkun

If you want the photo to look similar to what it looks like in real life, then do the metering for your exposure time with your screen on displaying a white image.

Sectus

Just got my XB270HU, which is my first g-sync monitor and first time I've been able to go above 60hz since the CRT days (and even then I don't think I had any monitor which could go above 85hz).

I was worried if I'd get any defects with my monitor, but there's no dead pixels or dust stuck behind the screen. I definitely notice some back light bleed in the bottom right corner, but it's only really visible when the screen is completely black. It's a bit annoying, but I can live with it. Is there anyone where who is not experiencing backlight bleed, or is this just a very common thing with this monitor?

In regards to g-sync, it's a very nice feature, but I'm not experiencing it to be as mind blowing as some people made it out to be. I've heard people claim it makes frame drops impossible to notice, or it makes 40 fps feel like 60 fps, and that's not the case at all for me. But it's definitely a big upgrade from v-sync. You don't get the stuttering with v-sync (if framerate is not constant), it doesn't add input lag like v-sync can do, and there's zero screen tearing. And considering how graphics rendering works, g-sync just makes perfect sense.

Framerates higher than 60fps is definitely something I'm noticing to be a huge difference. I played RE6 for a bit at 120fps, and it feels absurdly smooth. It's funny that after playing at 120fps for a while, and then switching back to 60fps, 60fps actually feels choppy in comparison. And then if you go down to 30fps, that just feels like a slideshow. One annoyance is that I wish more games supported higher than 60fps. I installed a lot of games to try them with the new monitor, and too many are locked at 60fps.

Mordeccai

Just got my XB270HU, which is my first g-sync monitor and first time I've been able to go above 60hz since the CRT days (and even then I don't think I had any monitor which could go above 85hz).

I was worried if I'd get any defects with my monitor, but there's no dead pixels or dust stuck behind the screen. I definitely notice some back light bleed in the bottom right corner, but it's only really visible when the screen is completely black. It's a bit annoying, but I can live with it. Is there anyone where who is not experiencing backlight bleed, or is this just a very common thing with this monitor?

In regards to g-sync, it's a very nice feature, but I'm not experiencing it to be as mind blowing as some people made it out to be. I've heard people claim it makes frame drops impossible to notice, or it makes 40 fps feel like 60 fps, and that's not the case at all for me. But it's definitely a big upgrade from v-sync. You don't get the stuttering with v-sync (if framerate is not constant), it doesn't add input lag like v-sync can do, and there's zero screen tearing. And considering how graphics rendering works, g-sync just makes perfect sense.

Framerates higher than 60fps is definitely something I'm noticing to be a huge difference. I played RE6 for a bit at 120fps, and it feels absurdly smooth. It's funny that after playing at 120fps for a while, and then switching back to 60fps, 60fps actually feels choppy in comparison. And then if you go down to 30fps, that just feels like a slideshow. One annoyance is that I wish more games supported higher than 60fps. I installed a lot of games to try them with the new monitor, and too many are locked at 60fps.

I just got mine today too. I attempted to move my second monitor above my Acer, and god damn I never realized 1) how terrible the viewing angle is on it and 2) how lackluster the colors actually were. And I've used this monitor for three years now!

The biggest thing for me is the 1440p res. Battlefront looked ahmazing.

All in all, I only have a tiny bit of buyers remorse for picking this monitor up and thats just because if I were a responsible adult I would have used the $$$ to pay off my student loans faster lol.

Yeah, the actual biggest benefit to Gsync is that it eliminates tearing with minimal input lag and no added judder, while allowing you to enjoy greater than 60 fps without necessarily reaching your monitor's max refresh rate with those same benefits.

It does also lessen the visual impact of small frame drops as long as it doesn't involve actual stutters or hitches. It won't make 40 feel like 60 but dips into the 50s won't result in either tearing with no vsync or adaptive vsync or judder introduced by vsync with triple buffer.

I just returned my third one of these monitors. Fuck this monitor. The IPS glow is RIDICULOUS. I might be done with Acer in general.

That sucks. Try the new Asus one, PB279Q I think.

I got an Acer refurb and after an initial issue it's been good for me so far. If I bought it at full price (new) I would not be happy with Acer.

When is it coming out?

Sorry, PG279Q. Not sure, but it should be quite soon. PCPer put up a review of it here: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/ASUS-ROG-Swift-PG279Q-165Hz-2560x1440-27-IPS-G-Sync-Monitor-Review

Already out, got the same IPS glow. Stick to TN, if you don't like that glow.
Maybe I got lucky but mine has almost no (irregular) backlight glow. I've only ever noticed it once, and that was when all the house lights were off and it was just displaying a black screen.

BlazinAm

Considering getting the Acer XB271HU but I'm having a hard time finding customer experiences and impressions of the monitor. I wonder if I bite now will I be part of the first batch?

Jag

I'm in. My XB270HU for $684 comes tomorrow! Recently bought the Dell S2716DG (1440p/144hz/Gsync) but it was a TN and I wasn't floored by the color. It's a fantastic panel and games looked great, but not as good as I wanted for the money it cost.

Can't wait and hopefully I get a good one.

Sanjay

I just bought: 'Acer XB270HUbprz 27-Inch Monitor via AmazonUK

WHOOP WHOOP

got it for £380! because of their current sale with All Open Box items @ Amazon Warehouse 30% off.

Now I have to ask, does this come with a display cable or will I need to buy one?

Jezbollah

WHOOP WHOOP

got it for 380! because of their current sale with All Open Box items @ Amazon Warehouse 30% off.

Now I have to ask, does this come with a display cable or will I need to buy one?

If it's like the Asus, it should come with one in the box.

Tarin02543

I bought an Acer IPS 1440p 60hz monitor back in august, I'm still very happy with that. No G-sync though, I just couldn't afford a + 300 € price increase for that feature alone.

Hopefully within 5 years G-sync will become more commonplace

Finaika

WHOOP WHOOP

got it for £380! because of their current sale with All Open Box items @ Amazon Warehouse 30% off.

It comes with one.

Jag

LOVE IT! No discernable errors. I'm not micro checking for pixel or backlight because it looks great with everything I'm throwing at it and if I can't tell, then it's ok or maybe QC finally got better. So happy I swapped out that new Dell TN for the IPS. This is what I was expecting it to look like.

oSoLucky

LOVE IT! No discernable errors. I'm not micro checking for pixel or backlight because it looks great with everything I'm throwing at it and if I can't tell, then it's ok or maybe QC finally got better. So happy I swapped out that new Dell TN for the IPS. This is what I was expecting it to look like.

I also just got one and I'm also thinking that QC got better. It seemed the majority of early panels had some sort of problems, but I don't have anything in the way of dead pixels and very minimal IPS glow.

Jag

I also just got one and I'm also thinking that QC got better. It seemed the majority of early panels had some sort of problems, but I don't have anything in the way of dead pixels and very minimal IPS glow.

Yep, when the screen is totally black, the bottom right is a tad brighter, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Jin

Does anyone find the default gamma 2.2 too washed out? That's the first thing I notice when I got this monitor compare to my previous Asus IPS. With this at 2.2 I find there's this gray fog or haze to the screen, a symptom of everything being washed out. Setting it to 2.5 fixes it. Try gamma at 2.5 and see how it looks.

Nillansan

I just got myself an Acer XB271HU and I immediately started putting it through a few tests. Here are some pictures that I took under slightly different lightning conditions.
Brightness set to 100. said:

Brightness set to 35 (slightly darker room). said:

I am strongly considering getting a replacement, the Backlight Bleeding seems excessive and it is noticeable when gaming. Any thoughts on this? Shouldn't I expect something significantly better than this? Lowering the Brightness does indeed have significant impact on the Bleeding, but 35 is way too low for me, somewhere between 50 and 60 is much more preferable, which in turn causes increased Bleeding.

tokkun

Ultimately it's going to be up to you to decide what you are satisfied with.

I will say this, though, as someone who owns two of these things: I don't think you are doing yourself any favors by putting it through tests where you take overexposed photos of black screens in a dark room. I think a lot of people who bought this monitor and the Asus - particularly on enthusiast forums like overclock.net - went looking for problems with it under the worse possible conditions. Then after getting this exaggerated view of the issue, they develop Princess-and-the-Pea syndrome where they are looking for it everywhere.

Personally I evaluated mine by going through the normal things I use the monitor for during the day, under typical lighting, and just using my eyes. In that scenario I was perfectly satisfied.

As a side note, I have mine calibrated, and Brightness 38 is measured at 160cd, which is a bit on the high side already (120 is typically what is recommended when calibrating). This is the brightness I use in a well-lit room. Personally, I would get a lot of eye fatigue if I was using it at 60 even in a bright room, let alone one as dark as your photo.

Top Bottom