• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer XB270HU monitor review (144Hz 1440p IPS G-sync)

cripterion

Same here, my cards stay at full speed if I set the desktop to 144Hz, I have to set it to 120Hz to let it go to 2D mode.

Games still runs in 144Hz so I keep it that way.

Doing the same thing here. It's the Nvidia drivers though as it was fine when I received my monitor and was running on pre-Windows 10 drivers.

Vuze

One issue I noticed though, is that when I have set the refresh rate to 144hz in Nvidia Control Panel my graphics card starts to heat up. When I set it to 120hz it stays as normal. Anyone know why this is?
Same here and I think this affects everybody. I've read about this numerous times when I skimmed through the overclock.net threads before purchasing the monitor. Possibly driver-related? Or maybe 1440p144 just 'requires' more power even in 2D mode.
Do any of you connect your keyboard and mouse to the usb hub on the screen? Or does that result in any input lag as compared to hooking them up directly to the computer? Just thinking of cable management here.
I wonder how these work anyway. Must be through the DisplayPort but does it even have enough bandwith left when running 1440p144?

Rimshot

I wonder how these work anyway. Must be through the DisplayPort but does it even have enough bandwith left when running 1440p144?

There's an USB 3 cable included in the screen package, which you connect to the screen and to the usb 3 port of your computer. I was thinking I could make the cable management neater if I tied the excess cables together for the keyboard and mouse.Then I would connect them to the screen usb ports instead of the computer usb ports. I am wondering however if this would cause any input delay on the keyboard and mouse, as opposed to connecting them directly to the computer usb ports.

nakedeyes

Banned
There's an USB 3 cable included in the screen package, which you connect to the screen and to the usb 3 port of your computer. I was thinking I could make the cable management neater if I tied the excess cables together for the keyboard and mouse.Then I would connect them to the screen usb ports instead of the computer usb ports. I am wondering however if this would cause any input delay on the keyboard and mouse, as opposed to connecting them directly to the computer usb ports.
Naw. It's just a usb hub. It should be fine

Qassim

Got mine today, looks like I got a good unit. No obvious defects that I can see, no dead or stuck pixels, no obvious backlight bleed, all good. It's all good!

I'm going from an AOC 1080p G-Sync panel and it's glorious.

Had mine about 3 weeks (though I've been travelling). Gorgeous monitor, but the other night it had some funky lines appear (not OS related). I made a warranty repair request and was going to ship it off but the next day it was back to normal. Happen to anyone else?

We'll see what happens but hopefully the issue is gone for good (probably not). At least there's a 3 year warranty.

BreakAtmo

Curious - would it be possible to use a monitor like this with consoles using the right setup? I know the two main issues are that it lacks an internal upscaler and only has a single DisplayPort with no HDMI port, but I have a HDMI receiver with upscaling that all my console signals go through, and I thought it might be possible to buy an adapter that could plug into the DisplayPort and have one DisplayPort (for the PC's video signal) and one HDMI (for the receiver) on the other side.

Lexxism

Curious - would it be possible to use a monitor like this with consoles using the right setup? I know the two main issues are that it lacks an internal upscaler and only has a single DisplayPort with no HDMI port, but I have a HDMI receiver with upscaling that all my console signals go through, and I thought it might be possible to buy an adapter that could plug into the DisplayPort and have one DisplayPort (for the PC's video signal) and one HDMI (for the receiver) on the other side.
Why don't you just wait for Asus PG2749Q? It will be out by Q3 for $800. It has a hdmi port

Jimrpg

Had mine about 3 weeks (though I've been travelling). Gorgeous monitor, but the other night it had some funky lines appear (not OS related). I made a warranty repair request and was going to ship it off but the next day it was back to normal. Happen to anyone else?

We'll see what happens but hopefully the issue is gone for good (probably not). At least there's a 3 year warranty.

I think I have the same problem too. The monitor starts playing up and the red and green gets separated out slightly too. I also have the problem where the monitor doesn't turn on either sometimes which gave me a scare (I'm in Malaysia and I don't really want to send it back to the U.S.)

I found by giving it a break and unplugging a couple of electrical items, the monitor turned back on fine. I really hope it lasts at least 3-4 years as sending it back to Amazon would be the worst.

bathsalts

Got my keeper last night, first one had some uniformity issues I wasn't happy with, second one is basically flawless minus a touch of bleed around the power led that seems to be a fairly common thing. The June batch is apparently seeing a drop in QC issues and the updated 120hz ULMB is nice to have.

Using the ICC profile from TFT Central until I can get it professionally calibrated but it might not be necessary because the colour is gorgeous, a noticeable jump even coming from a similar PLS panel in the QNIX 2710, Black levels seem better too (well once dialing down the ridiculous brightness setting it comes with out of the box).

Going to get along fine until 4k oled 144 gsync is a reality some years down the line

Lexxism

Isn't the HDMI port just a rumor?
No, I don't think so.
ROG SWIFT PG279Q is a 27-inch WQHD 2560x1440 display with IPS technology for wide 178 degree viewing angles. It has an ultra-fast 144Hz refresh rate and features NVIDIA G-SYNC technology for smooth, lag-free visuals. ROG SWIFT has extensive connectivity options that include DisplayPort and HDMI.
http://press.asus.com/PressReleases...est-Innovations-at-Computex-2015#.VctGxrJVhBe
edit: and it is PG279Q and not PG2749Q :lol

Durante

Curious - would it be possible to use a monitor like this with consoles using the right setup?
Well, absolutely, depending on what you mean by "right setup".
E.g. I use a capture card, so I can certainly run consoles on any monitor I can connect to my PC :p

BreakAtmo

Well, absolutely, depending on what you mean by "right setup".
E.g. I use a capture card, so I can certainly run consoles on any monitor I can connect to my PC :p

Oh, I just meant the setup I followed that sentence with - using an adapter and an upscaling receiver. I may have phrased it a little oddly since I saw some earlier posts in the vein of "welp, no HDMI port or upscaling, guess console use is out of the question".

That said, I probably won't get it. I absolutely love the idea of being able to play games at 144Hz and with G-Sync as well as the other benefits that come from using a proper monitor, but I currently sit right up close to a 40" TV for all my stuff and as blasphemous as that sounds, I adore the huge size and immersion. Is there much chance of a monitor like this one coming out with a 40" display? I know 40" monitors exist, but they're 60Hz jobs without G-Sync.

Durante

The largest G-sync monitor I know of which is announced is the Predator X35.

35", 21:9, 144 Hz, PVA.

Basically the perfect monitor except for its resolution (2560x1080). But if you are coming from a (non-4k) TV you shouldn't mind that I guess?

tokkun

TFT Central tweeted that they should be getting a sample unit the middle of this month (any day now). A launch in September seems likely.

Good. I really just want to know if it is worth waiting for or if I can go ahead and buy the Acer.

Specifically, does adding extra inputs increase the signal processing lag?

Gritesh

Basically the perfect monitor except for its resolution (2560x1080). But if you are coming from a (non-4k) TV you shouldn't mind that I guess?

When did this change? I thought they had a Predator X34 coming out that was IPS 1440p and running at 100hz.

I've been waiting for that version for what feels like forever..

Durante

When did this change? I thought they had a Predator X34 coming out that was IPS 1440p and running at 100hz.

I've been waiting for that version for what feels like forever..
Nothing changed. They have both a 34" 1440p 100 Hz IPS and a 35" 1080p 144 Hz PVA coming.

Just not the 1440p PVA I want :(

Does this introduce much lag? Also does the audio pass through?
Depends on the hardware and software. With an Intensity 4k capture card and my monitoring software it's lower than most TVs (below 2 frames). What you do with the audio depends on what you want, you can pass it through, or you can capture it and play it back from the PC, or both.

Sciz

Nothing changed. They have both a 34" 1440p 100 Hz IPS and a 35" 1080p 144 Hz PVA coming.

Just not the 1440p PVA I want :(

Current standards don't even have the bandwidth for 144Hz/1440p/21:9, do they? Feels like we're in a chicken and egg situation where the GPU vendors have to incorporate DP 1.3 before the display manufacturers will bother pushing any higher.

BreakAtmo

Nah, that sort of resolution would be an improvement. It's a little smaller, though not with anything in 21:9. What's the main difference between PVA and IPS?

I just can't wait until we can get a 40" 21:9 144Hz G-Sync OLED monitor with 5120x2160 resolution and glasses-free 3D. Wallets would screech in pain across the land.

Pifje

What's the main difference between PVA and IPS?

VA:

About 5 times better contrast
Blacks are actually black
No backlight leakage
No IPS glow

IPS:

Slightly better color accuracy
Slightly better viewing angles

I have learned to love VA and OLED, and at the same time dislike IPS.

i just got one of these from B&H a few days ago and it's pretty mind blowing. coming from using a Dell S2209W that i've had for 7 years or something

no dead or stuck pixels but there is some backlight bleed near the corners. not sure how bad it is compared to others or if it's worth trying for a better one

one question though: is it normal for the actual viewing area to have a tiny black border around it? i've been using it for 3 days and i didn't notice that it wasn't extending all the way to the bezel. i probably just wasn't paying enough attention though

Qassim

I got mine today. It is the updated model with 120Hz ULMB. No dead pixels. Backlight bleed is a bit worse than what I have seen in reviews and read from gaf impressions though. There is subtle bleed in the upper and lower left corners (not noticeable in games, generally) and substantial bleed in the lower right corner. I think I will keep the screen, but it would have been awesome to have one with less backlight issues. GTAV gsync still feels like a god-level upgrade, irrespective of any quality control issues.

Just read this, didn't realise they had updated it with 120Hz ULMB, when I was reading/watching reviews I was slightly disappointed to see ULMB only working at 85/100Hz. Just tested mine and it also has 120Hz ULMB, so I'm happy about that.

When NVIDIA fix the per-game ULMB/G-Sync profiles that is.. because until then I basically can't use it in any convenient manner.

Also, I'm not too knowledgeable about display tech in general (other than mostly surface level stuff), but over on Blurbusters Mark talked about the difficulties of doing ULMB @ 120Hz on IPS and it seemed like a challenge that would take some fairly significant work. Has anyone properly tested ULMB @ 120Hz on this display (those who have the upgraded display) to see if it performs well?

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1777#p13222

Vuze

Just read this, didn't realise they had updated it with 120Hz ULMB, when I read reading/watching reviews I was slightly disappointed to see ULMB only working at 85/100Hz. Just tested mine and it also has 120Hz ULMB, so I'm happy about that.

When NVIDIA fix the per-game ULMB/G-Sync profiles that is.. because until then I basically can't use it in any convenient manner.

Also, I'm not too knowledgeable about display tech in general (other than mostly surface level stuff), but over on Blurbusters Mark talked about the difficulties of doing ULMB @ 120Hz on IPS and it seemed like a challenge that would take some fairly significant work. Has anyone properly tested ULMB @ 120Hz on this display (those who have the upgraded display) to see if it performs well?

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1777#p13222
Not thoroughly, but both the blurbusters UFO test and CSGO had significantly improved motion clarity on my end. I don't usually play competitive shooters so it's just a "nice to have" feature for me anyway.

d00d3n

What, do the per-game settings in NVIDIA control panel not stick? I actually had an embarrassing moment recently when I was showing off ULMB in a couple of games for a guy I know. I riled up excitement based on my experience using my Eizo Foris Fg2421, but the difference must have been very subtle if visible at all. I kind of seemed like a lunatic claiming that there was a difference, and maybe I still am, but it would be nice if there was actually a bug preventing me from running real ULMB ...

Qassim

What, do the per-game settings in NVIDIA control panel not stick? I actually had an embarrassing moment recently when I was showing off ULMB in a couple of games for a guy I know. I riled up excitement based on my experience using my Eizo Foris Fg2421, but the difference must have been very subtle if visible at all. I kind of seemed like a lunatic claiming that there was a difference, and maybe I still am, but it would be nice if there was actually a bug preventing me from running real ULMB ...

It seems that if you enable ULMB on a game, then it disables G-Sync for all others until you then set another game to G-Sync, and then G-Sync works fine in all games that G-Sync should work in. But then ULMB stops working properly, the game where you have ULMB set won't use G-Sync or ULMB, it'll just work in a standard fixed refresh.

On the NVIDIA forums others have confirmed it's a "known issue" (but haven't seen the word from an NVIDIA guy for myself) when I explained it, but I dunno if it's for all setups. But given I have:

Changed GPUs (2x 780s to 980Ti)
Changed OS (Windows 8.1 - > 10)
Changed G-Sync monitor (AOC 1080p G-Sync monitor to Acer XB270HU)
Changed motherboard
Changed/upgraded drivers

Since the per-game profiles stopped working for me, I can't imagine what else it could possibly be if this bug doesn't affect most if not all people.

d00d3n

It seems that if you enable ULMB on a game, then it disables G-Sync for all others until you then set another game to G-Sync, and then G-Sync works fine in all games that G-Sync should work in. But then ULMB stops working properly, the game where you have ULMB set won't use G-Sync or ULMB, it'll just work in a standard fixed refresh.

On the NVIDIA forums others have confirmed it's a "known issue" (but haven't seen the word from an NVIDIA guy for myself) when I explained it, but I dunno if it's for all setups. But given I have:

Changed GPUs (2x 780s to 980Ti)
Changed OS (Windows 8.1 - > 10)
Changed G-Sync monitor (AOC 1080p G-Sync monitor to Acer XB270HU)
Changed motherboard
Changed/upgraded drivers

Since the per-game profiles stopped working for me, I can't imagine what else it could possibly be if this bug doesn't affect most if not all people.

Thanks for the fast answer. I will try and look into it on my end, but it is tempting to just drop ULMB and use gsync instead.

Mine came into today from Amazon.

No dead pixels and I'd say black light bleed is more than acceptable.

This is the first Gsync/1440p monitor I've seen and used in person and I gotta say. WOW. I'm blown away. The 144hz feels great, the colors look great, overall I couldn't be happier. I was really worried about QC from all the reviews I've seen on Amazon but it seems those issues are ironed out.

moop1167

Where do you guys suggest ordering this from for the best chance at getting one without defects? I ordered from Amazon last week but some other company (Beach Audio) or something fulfilled the order. There was a dead pixel right in the middle and some pretty noticeable glowing on all 4 eges. I put in an RMA request so hopefully I can get a refund.

Should I go directly from Acer? I looked at the box on the one that was shipped to me and it said it was made in May. Seems like from what I have read that I should be looking for a June/July one but I could be mistaken.

Best picture i could manage of my screen:

img_1433fgpd6.jpg

the only spot that's easily visible on dark colors is the one near the top left corner. if that spot were to fade a little bit it'd bug me less, i think.

no dead/stuck pixels or dust or anything. Thoughts? is it reasonable to think i might get an appreciably better panel than this? i'm leaning towards keeping it, especially since i've heard these spots can all but disappear over time. i've had this one since June 12th and don't think i've noticed it getting any better though.

this is my first new display in about 7 years; i've been using a Dell S2209W (TN panel) and i have no experience with IPS. don't know what an average or "acceptable" level of backlight bleed would be. i do also have a plasma in the same room that i play PC games on sometimes, so that could be a substitute for darker games where this becomes more of an issue

Rolfgang

Best picture i could manage of my screen:

img_1433fgpd6.jpg

the only spot that's easily visible on dark colors is the one near the top left corner. if that spot were to fade a little bit it'd bug me less, i think.

no dead/stuck pixels or dust or anything. Thoughts? is it reasonable to think i might get an appreciably better panel than this? i'm leaning towards keeping it, especially since i've heard these spots can all but disappear over time. i've had this one since June 12th and don't think i've noticed it getting any better though.

this is my first new display in about 7 years; i've been using a Dell S2209W (TN panel) and i have no experience with IPS. don't know what an average or "acceptable" level of backlight bleed would be. i do also have a plasma in the same room that i play PC games on sometimes, so that could be a substitute for darker games where this becomes more of an issue

Keep it for sure, that's a really nice panel! Especially since the bleed gets a bit less over the first couple of weeks.

Keep it for sure, that's a really nice panel! Especially since the bleed gets a bit less over the first couple of weeks.

it's been two weeks and if anything the spots near it seem a little brighter

this pic from overclock forum more accurately captures what i'm seeing on mine:

6ePrWni.png

Top Bottom