• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders is right: Hillary Clinton praising Henry Kissinger is outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
http://www.vox.com/world/2016/2/12/10979304/clinton-sanders-kissinger

Sanders has a point. While Kissinger deserves real credit for some of America's most important Cold War victories, including Nixon's diplomatic opening to China, he is also responsible for some of its worst atrocities. The carpet-bombing of Cambodia, supporting Pakistan's genocide in Bangladesh, greenlighting the Argentinian dictatorship's murderous crackdown on dissidents — all of those were Kissinger initiatives, all pushed in the name of pursuing American national interests and fighting communism.

Now, this may all seem like ancient history in 2016. But Kissinger's legacy is still a subject of wide-ranging, angry debate among American foreign policy experts — because it speaks to some fundamental issues about what matters in US foreign policy and the fundamental nature of the foreign policy establishment itself.

*History, which is really necessary to put this all into perspective.*

Clinton and Sanders's fight over Henry Kissinger wasn't merely academic history: It speaks to some profound differences in their candidacies, which itself helps explain a major source of Sanders's appeal.

Sanders picked this fight because Kissinger is the Washington foreign policy establishment

The fact that Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders are fighting over Kissinger's legacy is revealing for both candidates. Her support for Kissinger shows just how much a part of the Washington establishment she really is, while Sanders's condemnation of the man helps explain his appeal to a lot of liberal voters.

When Clinton first bragged that Kissinger had praised her, she likely didn't see anything wrong with it. She has been in contact with Kissinger for years — as Grandin notes, they exchanged emails semi-regularly during her own time in Foggy Bottom.

"At 91 years old, the former secretary of state, national security adviser and intellectual-cum-celebrity has come to occupy a unique place in the foreign policy firmament," Politico's Michael Crowley writes. "He has become a Yoda-like figure, bestowing credibility and a statesman’s aura to politicians of both parties, including ones who may not actually share his worldview."

Kissinger's crimes have become an afterthought in Washington — even to Clinton, who bills herself as a champion of human rights abroad.

Clinton's decision to embrace Kissinger, like her highly paid speeches to Goldman Sachs, make her look like someone who's too ensconced in the American elite to be truly committed to progressive values. It's everything that many progressives dislike about her.

Which is why it's such a successful line of attack for Sanders. He, unlike Clinton, isn't really part of polite Washington society. His career in Congress hasn't really required him to buddy up with people like Kissinger. He can give voice to progressive concerns about Kissinger and thus about the establishment.

The Kissinger debate, then, isn't just an argument over a 91-year-old diplomat's life and legacy. It's a debate over whether Hillary Clinton is too compromised by her connections to America's elite to be an effective liberal champion. This is one of Sanders's key attack lines on Clinton, but one that he has struggled to connect to her foreign policy positions.

Until Clinton gave him an opening.

so what? if you had to pick Hillary or Jeb?

you would pick a Bush (who would continue the Dubya Doctrine) just because some old Secretary of State said nice things about the newer Secretary of State?

Jenov

Bill Clinton said the best advice he ever got was from Richard Nixon on the Soviet Union... Is that outrageous?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bill Clinton said the best advice he ever got was from Richard Nixon on the Soviet Union... Is that outrageous?

You can be a complete asshole and still find a decent point now and again, as demonstrated by the first few graphs of that very article. Opening China was a very good thing, it doesn't erase all the bad, but we can at least admit it was good right?

Of course it is, but people won't admit it. They think Hillary Clinton is a good candidate and person and will work backwards from that conclusion.

Jenov

You can be a complete asshole and still find a decent point now and again, as demonstrated by the first few graphs of that very article. Opening China was a very good thing, it doesn't erase all the bad, but we can at least admit it was good right?

Exactly. People and the world cannot be distilled into evil and good, black and white. There are shades of grey in almost everything.

injurai

Banned
And on the very thing Clinton said she talked him about.

You know all those countless times you've dogged on Sanders for his wording.

Clinton not once dissented against or acknowledged Kissinger's war crimes. Her narrative is one that justifies his policy being necessary for America's interest. It is right to criticize this mentality. It was a mistake for Clinton to invoke Kissinger and not stand on her own foreign policy. You can't cut it any other way.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Of course it is, but people won't admit it. They think Hillary Clinton is a good candidate and person and will work backwards from that conclusion.

Was opening China a bad thing? Yes or no?

Not everything is binary. Total fucking assholes can have a good idea every now and again, broken clocks are right at least once a day.

Kissenger was a total schmuck, no one will disagree, but opening China was a good thing.

This...I don't understand the writer when they wrote the exact same thing Hilary said.

Because you can't deny those were good things. They don't fix the all bad, but they were good.

It makes sense that Hillary likes her, as her own foreign policy of arming rebel groups in the middle east is very comparable to the destabilization of asian and south american countries through CIA during the cold war era.

Exactly. People and the world cannot be distilled into evil and good, black and white. There are shades of grey in almost everything.

There are no shades of grey in Kissinger, he is a criminal, through and through.
Helped organize a coup in Chile which brought about the Pinochet regime, set the conditions for genocide in Cambodia, and devastated the innocent people of Laos in the process.
"Grey" is what NATO did to Serbia in its bombing campaign, attacking "dual use" infrastructure, bombing a Serb media outlet and killing about 1200 Serb civilians in the course of forcing the Serb withdrawal from Kosovo. Thats grey.
There is no grey in genocidal bombing campaigns that destroy a whole region.

docbon

“How many people did (Khmer Rouge Foreign Minister Ieng Sary) kill? Tens of thousands? You should tell the Cambodians (i.e., Khmer Rouge) that we will be friends with them. They are murderous thugs, but we won’t let that stand in the way. We are prepared to improve relations with them. Tell them the latter part, but don’t tell them what I said before.” (Nov. 26, 1975 meeting with Thai foreign minister)

bnxo9Pp.png

Jenov

There are no shades of grey in Kissinger, he is a criminal, through and through.
Helped organize a coup in Chile which brought about the Pinochet regime, set the conditions for genocide in Cambodia, and devastated the innocent people of Laos in the process.
"Grey" is what NATO did to Serbia in its bombing campaign, attacking "dual use" infrastructure, bombing a Serb media outlet and killing about 1200 Serb civilians in the course of forcing the Serb withdrawal from Kosovo. Thats grey.

And yet.. " While Kissinger deserves real credit for some of America's most important Cold War victories, including Nixon's diplomatic opening to China..."

There was some small world changing good, even the article concedes it. Of course it does not balance out, nor erase the atrocities.

My friend from chile when i went there to visit, lord the things i heard about Pinochet, jesus.

Begins article by praising Kissinger.

And on the very thing Clinton said she talked to him about.

They acknowledge that Kissinger did, in fact, do something to get his name in the history books. It's not praise but a statement - one important for the reader to understand who Kissinger is. Kissinger is, at best, a destructive black mark on the history of America and, at worst, an international war criminal. Trying to compare the opening line of the article to the praise from Hilary in the last debate, her book, and her relatively recent review of Kissinger's "World Order" is laughable.

Kenai

Because you can't deny those were good things. They don't fix the all bad, but they were good.

So is the problem that Hilary isn't criticizing the non good things? I am not trying to troll or anything I literally don't understand the complaint and i am trying to re-read here.

I do think the previous guilt be association comment by another poster may hold some ground here, cause I don't really see how you can go by this alone considering her general policies and actions, which are both good and bad depending on what you look at but certainly don't mirror Kiss or anyone else like em in particular. I am not even sure she really praised him considering how closely the article matches her words if the author isn't.

I'll just stop til i get better informed though. i feel like I am missing something here.

Sobriquet

debate transcript said:
CLINTON:You know, I listen to a wide variety of voices that have expertise in various areas. I think it is fair to say, whatever the complaints that you want to make about him are, that with respect to China, one of the most challenging relationships we have, his opening up China and his ongoing relationships with the leaders of China is an incredibly useful relationship for the United States of America.

So if we want to pick and choose -- and I certainly do -- people I listen to, people I don't listen to, people I listen to for certain areas, then I think we have to be fair and look at the entire world, because it's a big, complicated world out there.

SANDERS: It is.

CLINTON: And, yes, people we may disagree with on a number of things may have some insight, may have some relationships that are important for the president to understand in order to best protect the United States.

Seems reasonable to me.

shoplifter

If I met Henry Kissinger on a street corner I wouldn't think twice about spitting in his face. He has the morals of a Bond villain.

sephi22

Begins article by praising Kissinger.
What?
While Kissinger deserves real credit for some of America's most important Cold War victories, including Nixon's diplomatic opening to China, he is also responsible for some of its worst atrocities
This isn't praise. This is how you open an article with facts. If he didn't write the first part of the statement, people would call him out for ignoring the good Kissinger did and only pushing a false narrative or some shit

Was opening China a bad thing? Yes or no?

Not everything is binary. Total fucking assholes can have a good idea every now and again, broken clocks are right at least once a day.

Kissenger was a total schmuck, no one will disagree, but opening China was a good thing.

Ultimately a good thing? Sure? Questionable under circumstances at the time? Very. That's also entirely irrelevant.

No one should be 'flattered' to receive praise from Henry fucking Kissinger. That has nothing to do with the quality of his advice.

You know all those countless times you've dogged on Sanders for his wording.

Clinton not once dissented against or acknowledged Kissinger's war crimes. Her narrative is one that justifies his policy being necessary for America's interest. It is right to criticize this mentality. It was a mistake for Clinton to invoke Kissinger and not stand on her own foreign policy. You can't cut it any other way.

She she said she doesn't agree with him but sought his advice on China...

Is it shitty she's friends with Kissenger? Absolutely. Would it have been grand if she had called him every thing in the book? Sure! Does it change really anything about her? Nope. Was her time as SoS anywhere comparable to Kissenger's? Nope.

Is this largely guilt by association? You betchya

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What?

This isn't praise. This is how you open an article with facts. If he didn't write the first part of the statement, people would call him out for ignoring the good Kissinger did and only pushing a false narrative or some shit

The thing is, there's a lot of people, Bernie included, and some in this thread, who never even bothered to remember that fact or will outright dismiss it.

The guy deserves all the worst things in life, no one disagrees with that, but even the people we disagree with the most can have insight we can find useful in our decision making.

Bernie Sanders has no FP team because Hillary Clinton is either employing them or theyre holding Sanders at bay in hopes of getting a job in a Clinton White House.
I read that in Vox, yesterday.

nib95

Banned
Seems reasonable to me.

That's only what was said at the last debate though. Her commendations, admiration and respect for him go beyond that.

For example, she believes Kissinger shares a conviction of "just and liberal order", and also see's him as a "close friend". Might be one of the many reasons her and Obama's foreign policy has been so shit. Clinton on Kissinger.

Hilary Clinton said:
Kissinger is a friend, and I relied on his counsel when I served as secretary of state. He checked in with me regularly, sharing astute observations about foreign leaders and sending me written reports on his travels. Though we have often seen the world and some of our challenges quite differently, and advocated different responses now and in the past, what comes through clearly in this new book is a conviction that we, and President Obama, share: a belief in the indispensability of continued American leadership in service of a just and liberal order.

Hilary Clinton said:
To that end, Kissinger, the famous realist, sounds surprisingly idealistic. Even when there are tensions between our values and other objectives, America, he reminds us, succeeds by standing up for our values, not shirking them

Hillary Clinton and Henry Kissinger: It's Personal. Very Personal.

Hillary Clinton reviews Henry Kissinger’s ‘World Order’

shoplifter

Yeah, fuck those people in Chile. They don't know enough to democratically decide the course of their nation's future, here's a coup for you instead.

shoplifter

I really wish there were a good list of that pesky 7% difference.

Edit: I'm being facetious here. That 7% is likely a far greater difference than the "she voted with Sanders 93% of the time" would lead most people to believe, and very likely a large amount of them are deal breakers for current Sanders supporters, much like the Iraq authorization.

Just saying I'd like a good list with specific examples because I'm too lazy to look them all up.

nib95

Banned
I really wish there were a good list of that pesky 7% difference.

I view the Iraq war as one of America's greatest ever political blunders. Hilary was for it, Sanders wasn't (and neither was Obama for that matter). That's not a pesky difference of opinion, and I think the millions of people who have been or are still hugely affected by it, have had their lives completely destroyed or lost loved one's as a result of it, would agree.

I view the Iraq war as one of America's greatest ever political blunders. Hilary was for it, Sanders wasn't (and neither was Obama for that matter). That's not a pesky difference of opinion, and I think the millions of people who have been or are still hugely affected by it, or lost loved one's as a result of it, would agree.

And Clinton has since said that was a mistake.

The reality is this both are excellent candidates and I back Hillary because I think she's the better politician.

Nope. Since WWII secretaries of state have operated largely the same. We have not had a serious shift in 60 years, so if we're going to condemn Kissinger, we need to condemn everyone else equally. You want to know who the least chaotic secretary of state was in recent years?

Hillary Clinton. Which is actually what Kissinger meant when he said she ran the State Department better than he did.

I view the Iraq war as one of America's greatest ever political blunders. Hilary was for it, Sanders wasn't (and neither was Obama for that matter). That's not a pesky difference of opinion, and I think the millions of people who have been or are still hugely affected by it, have had their lives completely destroyed or lost loved one's as a result of it, would agree.
Most people were for the Iraq War. Blame no one but Bush for lying.

And Clinton has since said that was a mistake.

For someone whose area of expertise is foreign policy not realizing it was a mistake beforehand is a pretty big dark spot.

excelsiorf said:
So again what you're saying is guilt by association.

Her voting record (again 93% to that of Sanders) and her time as SoS demonstrate that she's not Kissenger.
If guilt by association is being uncomfortable with her for refusing to condemn Kissinger then sure.

Let not forget that the vast majority of the american people Including her, believed the Bush administrations bullshit Intel.

As far as I'm concerned that does't exonerate her for it. It shows an immeasurable callousness and lack of foresight and judgement.

You make it sounds like she was on the ground directing troops. She cast one vote out of many to move forward with that war.

shoplifter

Because they wanted to believe it and couldn't do the least amount of fact checking.

Henry Kissinger as an issue in 2016 tickles me.

Oh, for sure. I about fell off the couch and had to explain to my wife why last night when it came up. If someone had told me a year ago that he'd be a central plot point of the debates I'd have laughed in their face.

// it sure wasn't "have WMDs in 2003"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom