• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition releasing March 11th on XB1/W10

Three

I think the use of "Definitive" is a little confusing.

I think it would be less confusing if it was presented as a patch (for the stuff the would typically fall under the banner of a patch), and paid DLC for the stuff that would typically fall under the banner of paid DLC).

For better or worse, the term "Definitive" tends to refer to a game being rereleased on more powerful hardware with the kind of enhancements that go along with that. I don't know why they have decided to buck this trend.

It is but in some ways it's more accurate than naming it "GOTY edition" like we had before for games that won GOTY in some obscure blog somewhere.

Feels like the game released yesterday. o_o

yeah a whole year passed in a flash.

ArjanN

It was first mentioned as coming to Steam when the DE was announced but the later press release, the one that confirmed ReCore as coming to the PC, dropped any mention of Steam for Ori despite another game (Cobalt) still getting mentioned as coming to Steam. I would have figured it would come to Steam just because of how important the upgrade path sounded for Moon Studios, hope it still does.

I'm guessing they'll stealthily announce a Steam version later. They probably just avoided mentioning a Steam release in the press release because this is part of their W10 push.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

It should be coming to Steam, the app was last updated 15 hours ago and I'm sure it didn't have a picture on Friday

https://steamdb.info/app/387290/subs/

Ah, thanks, did a quick search but didn't find it right away.

Now hopefully they do the same for more of their stuff, but I'm guessing this is probably an exception.

hlhbk

I feel the opposite, I want to support the Windows Store more than Steam seeming as its installed on all Windows 10 PC's. Making the store more appealing with all these exclusive titles is a great move by Microsoft and hopefully they'll listen to feedback and improve the application.

Why would you support yet another terrible non user friendly application? Steam is the accepted standard in the PC space. We don't need a million different clients out there. No Steam no purchase.

Why would you support yet another terrible non user friendly application? Steam is the accepted standard in the PC space. We don't need a million different clients out there. No Steam no purchase.

I would rather the Windows Store replace Steam as the accepted standard, its far more streamlined but it certainly has issues that need to be ironed out.

The "no Steam no purchase logic" is irrational too, there's no need to be so loyal to a market place that you miss out on games.

MUnited83

For you.
I would rather the Windows Store replace Steam as the accepted standard, its far more streamlined but it certainly has issues that need to be ironed out.

Fuck no.

Terrible interface
Limitations up the ass of what you can do to your game
No cross-platform, Win 10 only( no Mac/Linux/older Windows)
And as you can see with GFWL, your purchases are far from safe

fuck that. This shit should never, ever, be the standard.

hlhbk

Why would you want to replace a product that has been around 12 years and is a far better app than Windows store? I would much rather have 1 central store I can purchase pc games from all publishers from than this segmented shit. Steam by far is the best option out there and since it has been around so long has the most games available. Oh and why would you want to support an app that completely removes the best features for the PC: Modding and customization of games?

Oh yeah I supported GFWL at the time, and now I can't download my copy of Gears Of War. Fuck Microsoft.

LewieP

I'm not meaning to suggest the name is wrong/misleading/inaccurate use of language. Merely that it is clearly confusing to at least some people because it is going against general trends in naming.

Fuck no.

Terrible interface

All of which can be fixed with the exception of cross-platform, it seems the dedicated Windows 10 support is finally starting and I hope we gradually see improvements.

Corpekata

Banned

The "no Steam no purchase logic" is irrational too, there's no need to be so loyal to a market place that you miss out on games.

You have no room to speak on being irrational. Your entire stance is based on not wanting to spend 30 seconds downloading something, and you're trading off a dozen features for that.

flkraven

Fuck no.

Terrible interface

Were you around when Steam first started selling games and people said the exact same thing you bolded? Terrible interface, resource hog, why have a client run while a game is running?, limited options.

Microsoft has far bigger trust hurdles to overcome but I think it's worth it for a competitor to steam. I agree that they need to fix their technical limitations though.

watership

All of which can be fixed with the exception of cross-platform, it seems the dedicated Windows 10 support is finally starting and I hope we gradually see improvements.

Not worth arguing. The train is already left the station and while everyone wants more freedom, all they want is "is it on steam?".

You have no room to speak on being irrational. Your entire stance is based on not wanting to spend 30 seconds downloading something, and you're trading off a dozen features for that.

All I'm saying is it makes more sense to get a computer and click on the integrated store than download a seperate client, there's no reason for Steam to remain the go to marketplace with this around. I'm well aware the Windows Store is flawed and I hope Microsoft make adjustments to improve the experience. Being so loyal to Steam that you won't buy anything from the Windows Store is madness. (I don't think you stated this but others have)

epmode

Were you around when Steam first started selling games and people said the exact same thing you bolded? Terrible interface, resource hog, why have a client run while a game is running?, limited options.

Microsoft has had a digital store for about a decade now.

I have serious doubts about MS ever easing up on their app sandboxing in the Windows 10 store. The entire point of the ~new storefront is to bring the walled garden of mobile gaming to PCs.

It's amazing how one of the most important companies to PC gaming is so intent on ruining it.

hlhbk

All I'm saying is it makes more sense to get a computer and click on the integrated store than download a seperate client, there's no reason for Steam to remain the go to marketplace with this around. I'm well aware the Windows Store is flawed and I hope Microsoft make adjustments to improve the experience. Being so loyal to Steam that you won't buy anything from the Windows Store is madness. (I don't think you stated this but others have)

I also stated several other facts. Lets review:

1. Steam has been around 12 years and is a far better app than Windows store.

2. I would much rather have 1 central store I can purchase pc games from all publishers from than this segmented shit.

3. Steam by far is the best option out there and since it has been around so long has the most games available.

4. Why would you want to support an app that completely removes the best features for the PC: Modding and customization of games?

5. I supported GFWL at the time, and now I can't download my copy of Gears Of War. Fuck Microsoft.

Nugg

This was like 12 years ago. At the time, there was also nothing else like it. This is 2016 now, this shit is unacceptable.

You're right, it could be fixed, and in the time Microsoft gets that fixed, Steam/Origin/GoG/Whatever will be spending their time going above and beyond getting the most basic of functionality working with their systems.

hlhbk

There were multiple reasons for these issues with Steam.

1. It was the first of its kind and Valve had the guts to do it. They fixed these issues long ago.

2. Computers were far less powerful than they are now.

Why don't need yet another client to segment the market more. Competition may be healthy, but as of now off the top of my head we now have 6 (Steam, Windows store, Origin, GOG Galaxy (optional), Battle.net, and Uplay) different game clients, and 3 of those (Steam, Windows store, and Origin) have releases only available on their store. If companies see they can get away with this practice it will only get worse.

Hardcore gamers will be able to keep track of where to buy games on PC, but the casual gamer which these companies are targeting won't have a clue. Segmenting the market will only hurt it in the long run.

MUnited83

For you.

Microsoft has far bigger trust hurdles to overcome but I think it's worth it for a competitor to steam. I agree that they need to fix their technical limitations though.

It's irrelevant when Steam first started. It's 2016 and they should be up to standards. MS also had a fucking decade to fix and improve GFWL. Guess what, they didn't. It only got progressively worse every year.
They don't even let you download your legally purchased games in GFWL since November. They are a multi billion dollar company and they havent fixed this yet. They deserve no trust.

And no, a closed platform that doesn't allow for cross platform betweeen different OS's and actively prevents crossplay with anything that isn't a Xbox device is very very bad, and shouldn't ever be the standard

lt519

Wonder if it has been optimized at all, I had to run it in windowed mode, would be able to play this in all its glory.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Anyone play the original on a dGPU Surface Book? I've been eyeing this version for a while, wanna make sure it'll run well. A cursory googling seems to imply it'll be okay, but has anyone here tried it?

Guys, calm down, OF COURSE we are also releasing the Definitive Edition on STEAM as well :)

It'll be available on March 11th for Xbox One, Windows 10 and STEAM. And if you already bought the original version of Ori and the Blind Forest on any platform, you'll be able to buy this version for a small upgrade fee.

To clear up why there's a DE exactly a year after the original release, it's simple: We god tons of mails about making DLC. So we thought that might be a cool option, but Ori being a Metroidvania, it didn't feel right to just add more levels in a separate menu item. No, instead we thought it'd be great to enhance the world, add more abilities and story and add the new DLC content directly within the world you've already played through. Because of that, you can play through the game in new ways, since you'll gain new abilities and extras that you can then make use of in the rest of the game - We felt that that was a much better way of doing DLC than just making a separate pack with more stuff that wasn't connected to the original game in any way :)

I'm excited we're getting so close and that you guys can check out what we did - We just also put almost an hour of making of content into the game, so for people who're excited to learn more about our prototyping process, ideas we had, etc., there's just a lot of stuff in there :)

Also, since we constantly get asked about a retail release and merchandise (plushies, shirts, statues, etc.), we'll have news about that soon as well. Nothing's set in stone just yet, but we're trying to make it all work. We're super humbled by how you guys responded to Ori, so I hope with this release and the stuff we have planned we'll make you all happy! :)

Coxy100

Banned
Guys, calm down, OF COURSE we are also releasing the Definitive Edition on STEAM as well :)

It'll be available on March 11th for Xbox One, Windows 10 and STEAM. And if you already bought the original version of Ori and the Blind Forest on any platform, you'll be able to buy this version for a small upgrade fee.

To clear up why there's a DE exactly a year after the original release, it's simple: We god tons of mails about making DLC. So we thought that might be a cool option, but Ori being a Metroidvania, it didn't feel right to just add more levels in a separate menu item. No, instead we thought it'd be great to enhance the world, add more abilities and story and add the new DLC content directly within the world you've already played through. Because of that, you can play through the game in new ways, since you'll gain new abilities and extras that you can then make use of in the rest of the game - We felt that that was a much better way of doing DLC than just making a separate pack with more stuff that wasn't connected to the original game in any way :)

I'm excited we're getting so close and that you guys can check out what we did - We just also put almost an hour of making of content into the game, so for people who're excited to learn more about our prototyping process, ideas we had, etc., there's just a lot of stuff in there :)
Good news! My favourite game last year - can't wait to get back in.

Wish you guys were releasing a physical copy though ;)

Can I ask how the upgrade will work - in terms of cheaper price for existing owners?

When will you be announcing the upgrade fee?

KevinG

Love it when developers come and communicate directly with the gaming community.

I haven't played Ori yet, but will probably grab this next week.

Nugg

Also, since we constantly get asked about a retail release and merchandise (plushies, shirts, statues, etc.), we'll have news about that soon as well. Nothing's set in stone just yet, but we're trying to make it all work. We're super humbled by how you guys responded to Ori, so I hope with this release and the stuff we have planned we'll make you all happy! :)

Thanks for the clarification, good to hear. Also, congrats on the game!

Until the appstore is working properly I'll skip "WINDOWS 10" games for a while!

That being said, will get it for Steam for sure!

ChryZ

I'm currently playing the original version. Would I need to start over to take advantage of the DE or is the upgrade somewhat seamless?

I'll be waiting.

Nbz

Wonderful! Thanks for confirming the Steam upgrade, very excited for next Friday!

Excited to play this for sure.

I'm guessing that the 360 version is dead at this point yeah? It's almost be counterintuitive to release it there this late in the cycle.

RoKKeR

All sounds good, Thomas. Thank you for this game!

Tenebrous

Glad it's coming to Steam, but does the Steam version also require Windows 10?

Top Bottom