• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Headscratchers in otherwise great games

Narroo

The lack of a dedicated jump button in 3rd person games. Mainly looking at you, Zelda.

How? It's not a platformer. And heck, most of the 3D games really don't have a good button available for it.

How about this: Megaman X5!

Great game, aside from some bad design decisions with bosses, but....

In X5 you can play two characters: X and Zero. The head-scratcher is that boss weapons and health upgrades aren't shared between the two, which makes the game much harder if you try to use both of them!

It's a Megaman game, so beating a boss gives you a nice new weapon, which can then be used to beat other bosses and help out in stages. You can also collect health upgrades as well. But these weapon and health upgrades only go to the character you got them. As a result, if you try to use both characters, you end up gimping both of them! God help you for the final boss rush if you're missing subweapons!

And actually, on top of that, Zero's upgrades are actually instrumental to how he plays in general; he gets double jumps and air dashes and what not, similar to how armors give X similar upgrades.

To top it off, you have to select a character to play the opening stage with; the character you don't select get's gimped. (Zero looses his buster and X looses his Force Armor.)

It's really the silliest thing: Why let us play as both at the same time if it ends up sabotaging us? (And making the characters less fun to play as!)

Some of the type balancing in Gen 1 Poke'mon was laughable.

1. Ghost type is suppose to have the advantage over Psychic type except that:
A. There's only a single evolution line of ghosts even in the game
B. Said poke'mon needs to be traded to reach final evolution (Yeah, so does Alakazam but he's not the only psychic)
C. The ghost poke'mon are all half-poison type, which is weak to Psychic.
D. The few Ghost-type moves in the game have pitiful base power, except for that one that just does damage equal to level, rendering typing pointless.

& Dark type didn't exist yet (hell Dark type was created because they fuck up so badly in Gen 1), so the strongest psychic poke'mon were virtually unbeatable.

Don't forget... Bug could also counter Psychics in gen 1 too...

But their only moves were Twin needle, pin missile, and leech life (all weak as hell)...

Only learn-able by trash like Beedrill (also part poison too)...

Yeah, I'm gonna pack my Beedrill tech versus Zam & Mewtwo (GameFreak plz)...

Saven

Banned
The final boss in Blackthorne. He was the only boss in the whole game and Blackthorne himself was pretty sluggish already control wise which fit the rest of the game. Then all of a sudden this boss comes around and is incredibly fast, the whole room is a danger zone and you have to readjust how you play the game (which could be by ducking, which you rarely use at all during the game) to beat a rather difficult boss. He isn't so bad once you figure him out, but it was bullshit how the game expected you to adjust to this boss right away. There are a few people I know that never beat the game because of that boss.

Dr.Social

Banned
The number of enemies in POP: Sands of Time. The combat isn't great, but having to fight a dozen or so enemies every fight made it a slog.

KraytarJ

1. Ghost type is suppose to have the advantage over Psychic type except that:
A. There's only a single evolution line of ghosts even in the game
B. Said poke'mon needs to be traded to reach final evolution (Yeah, so does Alakazam but he's not the only psychic)
C. The ghost poke'mon are all half-poison type, which is weak to Psychic.
D. The few Ghost-type moves in the game have pitiful base power, except for that one that just does damage equal to level, rendering typing pointless.

& Dark type didn't exist yet (hell Dark type was created because they fuck up so badly in Gen 1), so the strongest psychic poke'mon were virtually unbeatable.

2. Dragon moves are allegedly super effective against Dragon types. Allegedly, because there's only a single dragon move in the game & it deals an exact amount of damage no matter what, rendering the type advantage useless.

3. Poke'mon that had stats counter-intuitive to their typing. IE Fire works off of the special stat but many fire type poke'mon had higher physical attack stats instead.

4. Multiple moves that were normal type when they should've something else, like Gust & Karate Chop.
Plus because special hadn't been split yet all psychic Pokemon were able to do a ton of damage and take none from any type unfortunate enough to need special. Plus all the other stuff mentioned already like ghost immunity and useless bug type moves meaning your Jolteon better have pin missile or you're just totally boned.

Bravely Default is by far the worst offender here.

Recently Dark Souls 3's camera/lock on breaking was really frustrating. The lock on shouldnt disengage unless i disengage it. There was a boss that would break my lock on, get out of camera view, then attack me.

The warden in halo 5. C'mon 343i.
Seriously the worst thing to come from the series. Extremely uninspired, repetitive, and boring.

The one part I hated in The Last of Us was the sniper section. I was fine with sneaking up to the sniper and taking him out, but having to provide cover fire for your group felt really "gamey" and took me out of the moment. It felt last minute and slapped together. It was like I was playing an arcade game without the lite gun.

Eumi

The hours long intro to Persona 4. I love it and was super engaged the first time through, but the first replay I did made me realise that if you were looking for, you know, a video game this could be a huge turn off. Especially since it could be cut down considerably and not change the plot in any significant way.

Sora_N

No alternate controls in Star Fox is making it my disappointment of the year. I had high faith in the game.

V is definitely better, but when I say UI, I don't mean just the looks, but how it functions. GTA V's whole UI system for getting into an online game is convoluted.

Yes, I'd virtually blocked that from my mind, loading screen before a menu so that it can show part of the world in the background being one of my faves.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Don't forget the other nonsensical learnsets. Sure, Charizard might have been able to learn Fly in Yellow, but Dragonite couldn't learn that move until gen 2. Dragonite can't even learn a flying type move in gen 1, despite being half-flying type.

Doduo, meanwhile, can whirl its neck around like a helicopter and learn Fly.

The dumb as hell jump button on Dark Souls 1.
Tap and hold to run, tap again to jump.
Many of the jump related deaths were due to stupid control scheme.

I have really mixed feelings about this one. In Bloodborne I cannot count the number of times I died when my forward dodge roll accidentally became a jump. There's a ton of times in the game when you have to convert your dash into a roll and instead just jump for joy. I really wanted a button on L3.

On the flip side, pressing L3 often jostles the directional input, and the Dualshock's left stick is pretty sensitive. I've died a bunch in Dark Souls 3 from jumps careening off at an angle. There was one particular jump in the final level that took me like seven tries because I kept messing off the angle. I never had a problem with getting Jumps to come out when it was tied to the O button, so it felt alot more like the controls are killing me than my own timing or judgment.

I think part of the reason they kept switching the jump command seems to be a desperation for more buttons or something.

Top Bottom