• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator gets a release date: February 3rd, 2016

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
As someone who has ETS2 for 3 years and played it for 600+ hours, i have zero interest for ATS. They should've released as DLC to ETS2.

I understand their decision to separate ATS from ETS2, having both combined would be a huge amount of assets put into one game. Plus, it being an entirely new country and continent, a new game allows everyone to start back from the beginning, if they had just made it DLC to ETS2 then we'd all be driving in America with millions of dollars and huge truck companies from the get go, which would take away the "starting out" component completely.

I think they are very much working towards a global world wide online trucking game in time though. The whole World of Trucks thing is the start of that but it's just a stepping stone to what they really want, which is what you describe: one global game where you can truck anywhere you want to and with other people driving in the same world with you. That requires a brand new engine though, and would certainly be a brand new game. BUT, I think it's why they are now going to develop both ETS2 and ATS side by side, keeping both up to date, because in a few years when they are ready to go with World Truck Simulator they will have all of the licenses and assets already in place and ready to go, which makes WTS much easier to make.

Watched Squirrel live stream interview with Pavel (CEO of SCS Software). He talked quite a bit about how their company has grown after the success of ETS2 and what they are planning to do down the line. Apparently after Arizona, they are making New Mexico and Texas, and he also talked about that they were going north with Oregon and Washington. He didn't really specify in which order these would come though, and they weren't sure about how they would bundle DLCs (or handle people buying DLCs not connected to each other).

He also confirmed that the France DLC would be coming to ETS2 next, and that it is both adding to the map and also redoing the existing areas of France. They are also doing DX11 support for both games.

Basically he talked about a ton of stuff and was really open about what they are actively working on and what is just on their list of stuff that they want to have. It seems like the move to integrate both games with the World of Trucks website is a pretty big deal for them going forward.

Mengy

Watched Squirrel live stream interview with Pavel (CEO of SCS Software). He talked quite a bit about how their company has grown after the success of ETS2 and what they are planning to do down the line. Apparently after Arizona, they are making New Mexico and Texas, and he also talked about that they were going north with Oregon and Washington. He didn't really specify in which order these would come though, and they weren't sure about how they would bundle DLCs (or handle people buying DLCs not connected to each other).

He also confirmed that the France DLC would be coming to ETS2 next, and that it is both adding to the map and also redoing the existing areas of France. They are also doing DX11 support for both games.

Basically he talked about a ton of stuff and was really open about what they are actively working on and what is just on their list of stuff that they want to have. It seems like the move to integrate both games with the World of Trucks website is a pretty big deal for them going forward.

Yeah, they've said before they want to go north along the coast, through Canada, and into Alaska for snow environments. This game will have a huge world map in a year or two.

Patching the game engine up to DX11 though, I'd not heard that before. Hopefully that will enable better AA in game, as it's the only real weakness I care about with the current engine. I mean it's not terrible, but it could certainly be better. I tweak it up with Nvidia Inspector but it would be nice not to have to!

I've got the OT pretty much ready to go. I'm not 100% happy with it but I'll be able to improve it once I can play the game and get some better screenshots to work with. For the thread title I've decided to take my six favorite suggestions and roll a six sided die to pick one, there have been some really good suggestions and reasoning for various picks and it's hard to just choose one, so I'll let the dragon dice decide, LOL.

Apparently after Arizona, they are making New Mexico and Texas.

That's surprising. I thought it'd be going west-to-east state-by-state, so Oregon, Washington, then Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, then New Mexico.

He also confirmed that the France DLC would be coming to ETS2 next, and that it is both adding to the map and also redoing the existing areas of France.

Cool that France is being reshaped. Would've been nicer to maybe have Southern Italy in there too.

DD

That's surprising. I thought it'd be going west-to-east state-by-state, so Oregon, Washington, then Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, then New Mexico.

Cool that France is being reshaped. Would've been nicer to maybe have Southern Italy in there too.

And Portugal and Spain. :3

UberTag

Seems like the primary rationale for not trudging up north before New Mexico & Texas is that those two states largely mirror the temperate and mild conditions that can already be found in California, Nevada (and soon Arizona). No need to worry about the environmental challenges (i.e. snow) that going the other direction would bring.

Seems like the primary rationale for not trudging up north before New Mexico & Texas is that those two states largely mirror the temperate and mild conditions that can already be found in California, Nevada (and soon Arizona). No need to worry about the environmental challenges (i.e. snow) that going the other direction would bring.

That didn't seem to be a major issue for the Scandinavian DLC, as they just set the game in summertime.

Anton668

dont know if this has been discussed, but the problems they are having with licencing trucks and saying they want some sales/numbers from the game to bring with them when working out deals... so, um, whats wrong with the numbers and deals they already have from ETS2? why cant they go "here, look what we've done in the past, here are our numbers."

just kinda bummed there will be only 2 trucks to start out with :(

Truck Licensing Situation Update

Until recently, we were planning to include at least four trucks at launch, and our screenshots shown over time reflected this optimism. Unfortunately, finalizing the licensing talks and getting all the vehicles past the approval clearance is taking longer than anticipated, and you may have noticed some of those trucks no longer showing in the most recent batches of pictures from the game.

The result is that out of the gate, the game will ship with just two trucks.

After the game is released and gets into media spotlight, we will have a very important tool in our licensing talks arsenal - a successful game (fingers crossed) aimed at the relevant market.

When the game is out on the market already at last, when we can prove its impact on trucking fans at large, we hope for more of the truck manufacturers to pay attention, to realize that it's beneficial for them to participate, and perhaps even push us to hurry so that they are not left behind the pack. We have been through this experience with the launch of Euro Truck Simulator 2, when vocal support of our fans managed to bring the game to the attention to European truck manufacturers missing in the initial version of the game.

So.. I guess we need to flood Pete, KW, Freightliner and so on with emails and such till we get noticed?

dont know if this has been discussed, but the problems they are having with licencing trucks and saying they want some sales/numbers from the game to bring with them when working out deals... so, um, whats wrong with the numbers and deals they already have from ETS2? why cant they go "here, look what we've done in the past, here are our numbers."

just kinda bummed there will be only 2 trucks to start out with :(

I cant believe they are having issues with that, I mean, its free advertising for brands/products that have close to 0 representation in videogames.

LordAmused

I cant believe they are having issues with that, I mean, its free advertising for brands/products that have close to 0 representation in videogames.

American Truck Brands are very conservative. Pretty much like the whole American Automotive industry, I guess. Your point is valid, it's basically free advertisement, I don't know anybody who would refuse.

Aaron D.

American Truck Brands are very conservative. Pretty much like the whole American Automotive industry, I guess. Your point is valid, it's basically free advertisement, I don't know anybody who would refuse.

Yup, Giants Software (Farming Simulator) still can't get a deal with one of the most iconic farming companies on the planet, US-based John Deere.

That's in spite of having over 40 licenced vehicle & equipment manufactures in their latest game.

Talk about leaving money, or in this case, free advertising & mind-share on the table.

American Truck Brands are very conservative. Pretty much like the whole American Automotive industry, I guess.

Their CEO talked a bit about that yesterday on the stream. He said that there were multiple issues. One of the biggest was to get a hold of the right people in marketing. People in certain positions just wouldn't return their calls or just never get back to them. Often they would find that marketing people would get excited about the whole thing, but even then the process would halt when the lawyers slowed down the process because they prioritized other stuff than this licensing deal that they didn't understand the point of.

Edit: Another thing was that the manufacturers set certain demands about which trucks they wanted to showcase, which is why the Kenworth T 680 and Peterbilt 579 are release vehicles while the Kenworth W900 and Peterbilt 389 comes later. Paccard wanted their newest trucks to be front and center.

Nixed

Neo Member
Definitely buying and playing the crap out of this to support it, but yeah... the small $20 price point is looking about right for what we're getting at launch.

Hopefully everything gets quickly sorted out and the game can really be fleshed out!

Mengy

Definitely buying and playing the crap out of this to support it, but yeah... the small $20 price point is looking about right for what we're getting at launch.

Hopefully everything gets quickly sorted out and the game can really be fleshed out!

I hope they don't wait too long for the licenses though. I mean if they can't get them then just create fake truck brand names like they did in ETS2 at release and then go crazy designing new trucks for the game. I'd personally rather have ten trucks available under fake brand names than two licensed trucks available. The real world names mean a lot less to me than having trucks to drive around. Bring on the Pillenbuilts, Marks, and Freightlaner trucks!!!!

DD

I hope they don't wait too long for the licenses though. I mean if they can't get them then just create fake truck brand names like they did in ETS2 at release and then go crazy designing new trucks for the game. I'd personally rather have ten trucks available under fake brand names than two licensed trucks available. The real world names mean a lot less to me than having trucks to drive around. Bring on the Pillenbuilts, Marks, and Freightlaner trucks!!!!

Same, specially because American truck brands mean nothing outside North America, I believe. Not that I think that the world spins around my belly button, but I've never heard of Paccar or Mack or other stuff like that, and I live in a place where American culture is huge in our TVs and radio stations. Only Ford is known here (and probably not so strong in US) with models that I've never seen on American movies or TV shows.

Mercedes, Scania and Volvo and Renault, on the other hand, are very known everywhere (maybe not in North America, tho, since they have their own stuff?), I believe.

EDIT: but of course I'm thinking as a non American. This kind of stuff is important to them, tho. Everybody wants to set foot on the biggest market of the world. So I understand their decision.

MouldyK

A recap of Squirrel's Chat with the CEO:

- Direct X11 Coming sometime.
- Coach Sim on hold.
- Seasons/Snow in Pipeline.
- Licenses in Pipeline.
- Not figured out how they will do things like when people own States that aren't connected.
- Expansion for ATS by end of year...not sure of what direction though.
- Dynamic things like changing roadworks in the Pipeline.

- Owning a Trailer and Multiplayer will come in the future from World of Trucks.

- They Believe while America might be smaller chunked DLC, there could be 5 Scandinavia-Size DLCs for ETS2 if they wanted to...which they never confirmed...

- ...France is getting an Expansion and an Overhaul in existing areas to bring it to Scandanavian-Quality.

- Consoles are on the road map, but not timeline whatsoever at this point.
- Ability to get out of the truck is a wishlist item. Would probably be limited to pre-drive checks and truck stops and such.
- MMO is coming. Would have some player persistence involved.

- Dirty trucks were considered (and rendered) but no timeline/priority.

- New Mexico and Texas after Airizon 'set in stone'. Oregon and Washington as well in parallel if they can expand their team. Pevels hope was to have two map teams, one ETS one ATS working in parallel. Each team would be big enough to be working on two DLC's at once.

Mengy

Same, specially because American truck brands mean nothing outside North America, I believe. Not that I think that the world spins around my belly button, but I've never heard of Paccar or Mack or other stuff like that,

I'm super familiar with Mack trucks of the late 90's heritage. I engineered in a company for years where we made millions of dollars worth of Mack truck parts per year. To this day I can still look at 15 year old Mack trucks and point out and recite part numbers, LOL! Their plant is not far from where I live, I got to visit it a lot. We used to use golf carts to get around the plant it was so big, they probably still do.

Watevaman

According to someone in this thread, this caused issues when they went back to get the licenses in ETS2.

Vamlock

Can someone give a rundown of what the differences between the trucks in these types of games (or just this one)? I mean, I understand there will be model differences, but how far does it go beyond that stuff? Is there differences with how they drive? Is there like refueling or anything that would differ from truck to truck?

Can someone give a rundown of what the differences between the trucks in these types of games (or just this one)? I mean, I understand there will be model differences, but how far does it go beyond that stuff? Is there differences with how they drive? Is there like refueling or anything that would differ from truck to truck?

Gas tank capacity and turning radius is different depending on what chassis that are available for that particular truck and what you choose to use. The engines and gear boxes are different, and the interplay between the two can change how you drive in a pretty fundamental way if you do manual. Engine sound is different. Options for mirror placement and the view you have from the cabin is usually different.

That being said, the driving physics of each truck is probably not detailed enough that you wouldn't adapt to a different one immediately. They do have different stats and stuff, but the mechanics of driving them aren't simulated in a way that a really detailed car sim would be.

Vamlock

Gas tank capacity and turning radius is different depending on what chassis that are available for that particular truck and what you choose to use. The engines and gear boxes are different, and the interplay between the two can change how you drive in a pretty fundamental way if you do manual. Engine sound is different. Options for mirror placement and the view you have from the cabin is usually different.

That being said, the driving physics of each truck is probably not detailed enough that you wouldn't adapt to a different one immediately. They do have different stats and stuff, but the mechanics of driving them aren't simulated in a way that a really detailed car sim would be.

Thanks!

IT'S RELEASING TODAY
http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/02/american-truck-simulator-releasing-today.html
So here is the plan: We will start the release process this evening already (CET time zone), and while we are not sure if we'll need an hour or three to press all the buttons that must be pressed, we expect that the game will unlock a few hours before midnight already. Both the keys sold in digital channels as well as keys in retail boxes will start working at the same time. Looking at the clock now, you should be able to play the game in less than 12 hours!

DD

I'm super familiar with Mack trucks of the late 90's heritage. I engineered in a company for years where we made millions of dollars worth of Mack truck parts per year. To this day I can still look at 15 year old Mack trucks and point out and recite part numbers, LOL! Their plant is not far from where I live, I got to visit it a lot. We used to use golf carts to get around the plant it was so big, they probably still do.

Yeah, but you're American. I said that I wouldn't mind generic brands in the game because it seems to me that the American truck brands aren't famous outside North America itself (I might be wrong, but this is what it looks like to me). We see American trucks on movies and on the TV, and people always find them nice, say that they are beautiful (the massive size and all that chrome), but nobody actually knows these brands. Ford aside, here most of trucks are from European brands, and everybody knows Mercedes, Volvo, Scania, etc. But of course, for people from the US and Canada and maybe Mexico, having the real brands in the game would surely be important, and being the US the biggest market for video games in the world, it's understandable why SCS decided to release the game with just two trucks from a single brand instead of using fake names. =B

American Truck Simulator Game Features

Around 1:34, they show some of the Arizona Map.

You can see more of the map at 1:38, including all cities, and what appears to be the roadwork for New Mexico:
fU6Me2I.png

Also looking at the section featuring paint jobs, it looks like each truck has its own exclusive set of paint jobs.

DD

Oof, they converted the price in dollars to reais directly (1 dollar = 4 reais). It's... not that expensive like some other games that did the same (because it costs only 20 dollars), but there's not much content to justify the purchase, honestly. If I was willing to spend my money with more truck sim stuff, I'd spent it on the Scandinavian DLC. I'll wait for more content and/or a price drop. ;P

Edit: Wrong thread.

American Truck Simulator Update 1.3 going into Open Beta

New beta update for ATS (download it from beta tab in Steam).

Highlights:
- Arizona DLC Finally!
- Take World of Trucks Contracts directly from the game, now with ATS support.
- Physically simulated truck and trailer coupling.

There are also a lot of simulation improvements with different gear boxes and more customization items for trucks.

You can find the beta in the public_beta branch on Steam. (Steam client → LIBRARY → right click on American Truck Simulator → Properties → Betas tab → public_beta - 1.3 public beta). No password is required. A word of caution: make sure to back-up your profile and save game data before experimenting with beta builds!

U2NUMB

So looks like we got 4 new achievements..

Copper state
Discover every city in Arizona 0/15

Powell's trail
Visit Colorado river sights 0/6

Sky harbor
Deliver cargo to the Phoenix Airport

Start your engine!
Get on the start of the Truck Racing circuit

Top Bottom