• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator gets a release date: February 3rd, 2016

yyr

Tempted to get this not just because of all the recommendations here, but also because my fiancee is from Cali (she moved to be with me in NY) and if the recreation is high-quality, it might be a fun experience for both of us.

Beast780

I have $20 on my Steam account waiting, I keep checking in to see if they put it up for presale but nothing yet. Going to be my new podcast game like ETS 2 was. Here's hoping Vinny does a Quick Look for this!

I have $20 on my Steam account waiting, I keep checking in to see if they put it up for presale but nothing yet. Going to be my new podcast game like ETS 2 was. Here's hoping Vinny does a Quick Look for this!
They're not going to do presales on Steam. I've been wanting to give them my money for months.
American Truck Simulator |OT| I Have a Semi and a Heavy Load
Ok, this is my new favorite.

Will it have TrackIR5 support? I spend most of my time in flight sims and suddenly thought that my TIR5 would be awesome in a Truck Simulator...

No pre-ordering. You'll have to wait until launch.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Wow, that's a really good one too. I may have to reconsider my favorite now...

Will it have TrackIR5 support? I spend most of my time in flight sims and suddenly thought that my TIR5 would be awesome in a Truck Simulator...

Sure will. I almost can't play ETS2 without my TrackIR5 anymore, I feel so claustrophobic without it!

This game features the Bakersfield sign (from my hometown) and comes out the same week as my birthday.

It's like they want my money or something.

Mengy

Semi can mean both semi truck and partially erect penis, while heavy load can refer to either heavy cargo or an unusually high amount of ejaculate.

I know you're literally explaining it, but this made me laugh so hard.

Hah, if I use that for the OT then maybe I need to put the explanation in it too! I'm thinking I might just combine my two favorite OT choices and make a combination of them both:

(All This Freedom Gave Me A Semi) + (I Have a Semi and a Heavy Load) =

American Truck Simulator |OT| America gives me both a Semi and a Heavy Load

Aaron D.

Are you me?

2 of my favorite games. Probably spent more time on either of those 2 games than any other game.

Heh, Farming Sim is my runaway, and ETS2 would be #3 if it weren't for a couple others.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/DJDostoevsky/games/?tab=all

this is awesome

Ok, this is my new favorite.

Wow, that's a really good one too. I may have to reconsider my favorite now...

Ugh. I think it sounds tacky and juvenile, tbh.

No offense, newsguy.

GeoGonzo

Hah, if I use that for the OT then maybe I need to put the explanation in it too! I'm thinking I might just combine my two favorite OT choices and make a combination of them both:

(All This Freedom Gave Me A Semi) + (I Have a Semi and a Heavy Load) =

American Truck Simulator |OT| America gives me both a Semi and a Heavy Load

Small change, maybe:
American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi and a Heavy Load

No offense, newsguy.
It kind of is, yeah. Maybe we're trying too hard here.
Shit, I wasn't going for a pun, this was a serious post... but it stays.

Mengy

Small change, maybe:
American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi and a Heavy Load

Yeah, I think that is better too, thanks!

No offense, newsguy.

It might be a tad tacky but it's an excellent and clever pun considering the nature of the game itself, and I usually think clever OT titles are the best ones. It will certainly raise a few eyebrows and get people to check the thread out, which should help promote the game, and that is pretty much one of the biggest reasons why OT's exist anyway (to garner attention to good games).

Aaron D.

It might be a tad tacky but it's an excellent and clever pun considering the nature of the game itself, and I usually think clever OT titles are the best ones. It will certainly raise a few eyebrows and get people to check the thread out, which should help promote the game, and that is pretty much one of the biggest reasons why OT's exist anyway (to garner attention to good games).

To each their own of course.

Being primarily niche & European, the Vehicle Simulation genre has a lineage of being sophisticated and classy affairs. For example, the Train Simulator 2015 opening cinematic.

As the franchise is shifting focus from Europe to the US, childish innuendos as suggested above only propagate the stereotype that Americans are arrogant & boorish.

It simply doesn't sync up with the tone of the genre.

Watevaman

To each their own of course.

Being primarily niche & European, the Vehicle Simulation genre has a lineage of being sophisticated and classy affairs. For example, the Train Simulator 2015 opening cinematic.

As the franchise is shifting focus from Europe to the US, childish innuendos as suggested above only propagate the stereotype that Americans are arrogant & boorish.

It simply doesn't sync up with the tone of the genre.

OT titles are never serious though and they're meant to be funny.

Mengy

Those tricky truck-tetris delivery points tho.

I'm at work so I can't watch his stream, but from what videos I have seen they changed trailer parking a bit. You now get to choose three options upon delivery: auto parking, easy pull through parking, and more difficult back in parking. But yeah sometimes the parking spot is quite a bit tougher than what we are used to in ETS2. It looks like fun IMHO, as I find parking the trailer to be both challenging and fun.

Mengy

I was just watching some of Squirrel's videos he put up today of him playing ATS from the very start when I realized something: we'll be starting over new and fresh! No money, no truck of our own, we'll have to unlock everything anew. I mean I knew we would have to, new game and all, but wow it's been so long since I started playing ETS2 that I had actually forgotten what that was going to be like again, lol. I'm kind of excited for that again honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DaSquirrelsNuts/videos

Anton668

Hahaha awesome idea.

yup yup!

and at first i was like, my mod skills suck so ima have to wait and or beg for someone to make it. but a quick google and....

1453295441_the-porkchop-express-freightliner-classic-reworked-v1-6_1.jpg

THE PORKCHOP EXPRESS FREIGHTLINER CLASSIC REWORKED V1.6

As someone who has ETS2 for 3 years and played it for 600+ hours, i have zero interest for ATS. They should've released as DLC to ETS2.

- First, this game has very little content to make a new game. ETS2 had more on it's launch.
- It's absolute re-skin of ETS2 with American roads. No new important game mechanics.
- They couldn't get some of truck licenses. As they said, "gaming industry, for most truck manufacturers, is all unexplored territory". With 2.5m players they already have on Steam only, they would have more chance and truck manufacturers couldn't say "no".

I know, this is Euro Truck Simulator but thanks to the MODs, it's more than that. You can have Iceland and even North Africa with MODs. It would be even more awesome with America being officially added to the game.

U2NUMB

PC Gamer review. I hadn't read yet, but I hope that it's not atrocious as their Dirt Rally review.

http://www.pcgamer.com/american-tru...utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgfb

It's about what I expected... He enjoyed it but complained about the available content. He never does mention the price point and they have it listed as $49 on their page which is wrong obviously.

Good impressions though but it confirms what many of us assumed... It is a re skin for the most part.

Peru

ETS2 has been in constant evolution. Expanding to America it's obvious that it would be the same framework - and equally obvious that this too will constantly evolve and improve. Not sure exactly what people are looking for. And the environments look great. Adding it on to ETS2 seems like a complete non-option to me - they have to make solid money for their studio at some point. The fans should be damn happy seeing how ETS2 has been polished and polished and polished for years and years after you payed for it.

GeoGonzo

It's about what I expected... He enjoyed it but complained about the available content. He never does mention the price point and they have it listed as $49 on their page which is wrong obviously.

Good impressions though but it confirms what many of us assumed... It is a re skin for the most part.

Actually in the very same section where it lists the obviously wrong price of $49 it also says "Expect to pay £20".

I'm not sure if I wrote this comment to defend the review or make fun of it.

c0Zm1c

As someone who has ETS2 for 3 years and played it for 600+ hours, i have zero interest for ATS. They should've released as DLC to ETS2.

- First, this game has very little content to make a new game. ETS2 had more on it's launch.
- It's absolute re-skin of ETS2 with American roads. No new important game mechanics.
- They couldn't get some of truck licenses. As they said, "gaming industry, for most truck manufacturers, is all unexplored territory". With 2.5m players they already have on Steam only, they would have more chance and truck manufacturers couldn't say "no".

I know, this is Euro Truck Simulator but thanks to the MODs, it's more than that. You can have Iceland and even North Africa with MODs. It would be even more awesome with America being officially added to the game.

Like most of the truck simulators SCS has been making for around 15 years now then. The first one I played was 18 Wheels of Steel American Long Haul (released in 2007 I think) and that's pretty much functionally identical to ETS2. Perhaps more effort could be made to make each new game more distinctive than the last, but I guess there's not much SCS can do to jazz up what is still just a driving simulator, albeit a really good one. ATS is going to priced very reasonably though ($20 - I'm in the UK so I'm guessing it will be around £15 here?) so it's priced like DLC anyway.

DD

Does anybody know if they updated their game engine? The one used In ETS2 is awfully optimized.

I used to think that way, but after more than a year away from the game, recently I have installed it back and I didn't had the same feeling towards it. It felt better, running smoother, but still ugly. :p

Like most of the truck simulators SCS has been making for around 15 years now then. The first one I played was 18 Wheels of Steel American Long Haul (released in 2007 I think) and that's pretty much functionally identical to ETS2. Perhaps more effort could be made to make each new game more distinctive than the last, but I guess there's not much SCS can do to jazz up what is still just a driving simulator, albeit a really good one. ATS is going to priced very reasonably though ($20 - I'm in the UK so I'm guessing it will be around £15 here?) so it's priced like DLC anyway.

I meant, everything except roads are 1:1 same. An American map DLC and proper "official" multiplayer would make ETS2 even more awesome game.

Does anybody know if they updated their game engine? The one used In ETS2 is awfully optimized.

They are using the same game engine which is Prism3D since first Hard Truck: 18 WoS game. In ETS2, they added new day-night cycle, new foliage system, updated physics. I don't think game looks ugly. For an trucking sim, it looks so good. But problem still lies within. Especially on Scandinavia parts, huge FPS drops keep occuring. Vanilla/East part is much more stable. Don't forget the proper anti-aliasing support. MLAA is only in-game option.

c0Zm1c

I meant, everything except roads are 1:1 same. An American map DLC and proper "official" multiplayer would make ETS2 even more awesome game.

Official multiplayer is in the works. I don't know if they mean to add it to the existing games (I would hope so) and it's a long way off yet, but it's good that they are working towards that.

We are adding community features and infrastructure to support implementation of a grand trucking universe with Virtual Trucking Companies and eventually with rich multiplayer.

http://blog.scssoft.com/2015/11/many-projects-one-goal.html

Top Bottom