• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Archangel Avacyn is the epitome of garbage cards.

Being powerful doesn't mean it isn't designed like absolute shit. Archangel Avacyn is probably one of the least fun cards ever devised.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mono White Humans is a deck where you wonder how the fuck it wins playing a bunch of Savannah Lions but then you just keep winning.

Mono White Humans is a deck where you wonder how the fuck it wins playing a bunch of Savannah Lions but then you just keep winning.

It wins because not everyone plays Languish. It wins so often almost entirely because the card Always Watching was printed.
Or Thalia's Lieutenant. Take your pick

Angry Grimace

There's no standard in which Archangel Avacyn isn't a bullshit card.

Wall of ANGELS

I wish there was one.

130.jpg

?

Speaking of walls, how come Illusionary Wall is a 7/4? Also how embarassing is it (in the word of Magic) to get killed by Wall of Air?

This is one of those weird victims of the pre-art-direction era. I believe the idea was supposed to be that it's this crazy, bizarre monstrosity covered in stabby bits and whatnot, but the illustration is a see-through brick wall that you could walk under or fly around in two seconds.

why is it when I follow mtg content people on twitter they start talking about sports?

because sports own

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Honestly, kind of saddened about all of the Innistrad reversion.

Having Emrakul take over literally everything just to revert the plane back to its horror roots strikes me as a bit too much 'salt the earth' style just because Wizards knows Eldrazi and the 'horror' aspect are both really big from past sales.

Eldrazi horror isn't the same kind of 'traditional' horror of Innistrad's world, and it feels to me like they're trying to over-force it with Nahiri going full revenge. Additionally, they're just re-aping the 'angel/goddess' angle of Zendikar's storyline, and are now going to bring in the Gatewatch to (at least somewhat) neatly tie things up, save for maybe Nahiri escape and/or remorse.

Admittedly, I liked all of the power puff trio (and Avacyn), so to just see Bruna and Gisela morph into a combo-mini-emrakul without getting any additional insight is a bit disheartening. But IMO, there were ways to revert the plane away from the storybook ending without polluting it to such an extent.

As pointed out early on in Shadows over Innistrad speculation, Lovecraftian horror isn't actually far removed from gothic horror.

As for story resolution, I feel like the best way to do it is:
* Sorin dies to power up Sigarda.
* Everyone works together to help seal Emrakul in the moon.
* In the process, Emrakul is ripped apart and only half of it is sealed in the moon while the rest gets away.
* Mutations are undone by Sigarda.

This way, Innistrad is back a state such that for the next return block, someone who liked the original Innistrad block but missed this block won't feel lost, even with changes to the flavor; and Emrakul is still a threat, but not an immediate one.

Xis

Admittedly, I liked all of the power puff trio (and Avacyn), so to just see Bruna and Gisela morph into a combo-mini-emrakul without getting any additional insight is a bit disheartening.

I'm pretty surprised they went this route. They've always said that Avacyn Restored sold very well, and I imagine the angels were a big part of that. Killing off Avacyn, and (effectively) Bruna and Gisela was unexpected.

Son1x

UVifEZ8.jpg

Supposedly the new Thalia.
2W
First Strike
Creatures and nonbasic lands your opponents play enter the battlefield tapped.
3/2

Dies to a lot of removal, but I'm definitely gonna try her out in D&T.

OnPoint

Maro says Kaladesh might be the best set he's ever led. Man, they are really hyping up this fall set.
I saw that and tried to put it out of my mind. It challenging Innistrad as the best he's ever done is a tall order, but he's basically setting expectations pretty high.

Santiako

There's also a cool clone variant:

Whenever this attacks you may exile another target non-token creature. If you do, this becomes a copy of that creature until the end of the turn. Return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.

y2dvd

UVifEZ8.jpg

2W
First Strike
3/2

Seems great to me. 3/2 first strike kills several creatures. Etb tapped is a nightmare for slower decks. And hey look, another target for CoCo.

alternade

Whenever this attacks you may exile another target non-token creature. If you do, this becomes a copy of that creature until the end of the turn. Return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
Hmmmmmm attacks and etb triggers on one card. This is very interesting, partly beacause you can target your own stuff

Firemind

Can I just say one thing

ENOUGH WITH THE CLONES

How many more of these stupid blue cloning creatures can they design before they realize it's not that interesting of a mechanic.

Angry Grimace

Can I just say one thing

ENOUGH WITH THE CLONES

How many more of these stupid blue cloning creatures can they design before they realize it's not that interesting of a mechanic.
EDH

Yeef

Turn 2 Thalia 1.0 into Turn 3 Thalia 2.0 seems especially punishing in older formats (assuming both resolve). Your spells cost 1 more, your fetches come in tapped, then the lands you fetch come in tapped. It's like being in a vat of molasses.

Neo Thalia is just fantastic. I need her for Hatebears so much. Going Turn 2 Arbiter+Ghost Quarter Activation into Turn 3 Thalia seems way too hilarious to not do.

2W
First Strike
3/2

The interaction with fetchlands makes this pretty good in non-rotating formats.

I really like this card, particularly with the flavor.

Apparently it actually reads "Creatures and non-basic lands your opponents control come into play tapped.", which is much better.

Nissa and Gideon suddenly can't protect themselves nearly as well, Chandra becomes unplayable and drawing Evolving Wilds will make you want to concede on the spot.

Apparently it actually reads "Creatures and non-basic lands your opponents control come into play tapped.", which is much better.

Nissa and Gideon suddenly can't protect themselves nearly as well, Chandra becomes unplayable and drawing Evolving Wilds will make you want to concede on the spot.

Unless she's already on the field when Thalia comes out Chandra will do her usual thing of coming out and minusing to wipe the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom