• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming burnout...help me explore

cchum

So short and sweet thread...I have gotten burnt out from the common action/adventure game.
Replayed wolfenstein and it was a slog to replay even though I love it. Played uncharted. Don't want to play through games like evil within or the order again.

Please recommend some out of the box type games or possibly online coop type games. Thanks GAF

Usually if I play a classic retro game I've never tried before it jolts me out of the new game doldrums. Most recently it was Mega Man Zero for me. Such a breath of fresh air after a slog of new AAA games that didn't click for me. Good luck, whatever you choose!

Corpekata

Banned
Undertale if you haven't played it yet. Great game, and relatively short, though with alternate routes should you end up liking it. And has a killer soundtrack.

Whenever I'm in a rut I tend to go for shorter stuff and that helps get me back on track.

CHC

I would try a strategy game or a racing game. Sometimes it feels nice to have something where you aren't directly controlling a human from a ground level perseptive. If you have a PC something like a Total War game or Homeworld can be a great change of pace.

Also I would recommend exercising, if you don't already. Physical exhaustion can be great - flopping on the couch after a long run just makes you grateful to play ANYTHING sometimes.

Zombine

Banned
2989475-trailer_oxenfree_part1aboutthestory_20160111.jpg

Game trailer: https://youtu.be/NAhrOoNR4ng

Really. Awesome. Game.

Virdix

Usually when this happens to me I just take a week or two off of games and im fine. Last time i ended up buying Civ 5 and putting over a hundred hours into that and it was really refreshing.

Think it's time you took a trip to niche town like I've done this gen.

First stop RPGBay

Atelier Sophie
Gravity rush
DisgaeaV
Digimon cyber sleuth
Just to name a few

Take a moment to visit the indie exhibit

Shovel Knight
Rocket league
So many others

You need more Japanese games in your life.

Bloodborne, Dark Souls III (if you played DkS I), Gravity Rush Remastered, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and Danganronpa.

Dynomutt

Whenever I get burned out my Vita is my savior! Currently playing Odin Sphere and Ridge Racer PSP. Maybe try something different more light-hearted or take a little break.

Wozman23

Find something indie that interests you. I love bouncing back and forth between AAA blockbusters and indies. The arcade-iness and minimalism is a stark contrast to most AAA, and a breath of fresh air.

Examples: 140, Sound Shapes, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Soft Body, Velocity 2X.

Ratchet & Clank is a great alternative to today's market. As is Tearaway and LittleBigPlanet.

Probably not what you're looking for, but I really enjoyed Doom for its old-school sensibilities. Best FPS I played in a while (but similar to Wolfenstein).

AAK

I think you might be in the mood for some Jonathan Blow games. I found Braid to be his masterpiece, but Witness is pretty fulfilling (before I gave up) too.

MikeyB

Terraria. Play a few hours solid and solo, visit public servers, get really into the game, then buy a copy for your friends.

You will eventually hear the daytime topside music everywhere.

Speely

Banned
Renowned Explorers: International Society is a game that helped me break my jaded game funk. Cheap Steam game that will run on a cheap PC and is charming, bright, and fun... perfect for shaking it up a bit and was a great potion for what ailed me when I was losing interest in games due to AAA fatigue. It's basically a SRPG FTL with fun characters.

Read a book or explore other hobbies. Lots of other things to do

Huh. I was just about to suggest this because if I ever get burned out I go and read a book or marathon a TV series or something. But if OP doesn't want to those and wants to keep it gaming related, then I'd suggest trying a game that's outside of your comfort zone. I personally like going back to old (yet beloved) PC games that are full of jank and try to learn their clunky controls.

cchum

Terraria. Play a few hours solid and solo, visit public servers, get really into the game, then buy a copy for your friends.

You will eventually hear the daytime topside music everywhere.

Interesting...will watch streams later thanks!

I think you might be in the mood for some Jonathan Blow games. I found Braid to be his masterpiece, but Witness is pretty fulfilling (before I gave up) too.

Loved Braid had on my PS3 I sold. Thanks!

Kas

Another good game is The Binding of Isaac:Rebirth for either the PC or PS4. It's a great game that's reall, really dark and gross, but it's a game with super deep mechanics and hundreds of items.

It's a really hard rogue-like, so if you like thosw, you'll love this one

Moofers

I will second the recommendations for Life Is Strange as well as Gravity Rush. I'd also like to throw Valkyria Chronicles in there. It's an amazing game that has just enough depth to keep it complex without being intimidating. Plus the soundtrack is fantastic and the cast is quite memorable! It engages your brain in a way other games can't.

Also, if you have an Xbox One, Halo 5's Warzone Firefight mode launches this week and it's crazy good co-op fun! The game is free to all Xbox Live subscribers until July 5th so you can try it at no risk.

cchum

I will second the recommendations for Life Is Strange as well as Gravity Rush. I'd also like to throw Valkyria Chronicles in there. It's an amazing game that has just enough depth to keep it complex without being intimidating. Plus the soundtrack is fantastic and the cast is quite memorable! It engages your brain in a way other games can't.

Also, if you have an Xbox One, Halo 5's Warzone Firefight mode launches this week and it's crazy good co-op fun! The game is free to all Xbox Live subscribers until July 5th so you can try it at no risk.

Actually played life is strange. Enjoyed it, but didn't want to buy for limited replay . Thanks for the suggestions. Wait...can I play halo 5 for free right now?

GodofWine

PC games like Kerbal Space Program get me out of my gaming rutts, if you have a PC even with integrated graphics, there are a lot of cool games on that side, browse steam.

Console games like Rocket League, minecraft, tropico 5, trine 2, dont starve etc, all are nice change of paces

Moofers

Actually played life is strange. Enjoyed it, but didn't want to buy for limited replay . Thanks for the suggestions. Wait...can I play halo 5 for free right now?
I think it may not go free until this week when Firefight launches but I'm not home to check and I could be wrong. It's a great game and I came around to realizing that after being initially turned off. The beta for Firefight mode was awesome. It was all the best parts of Halo presented like a raid from Destiny. I actually bought the game right after trying the beta, just for this mode. Turned out the rest of it was pretty awesome as well. I have to admit I don't play the VS stuff though. That's just not my bag anymore, I can't keep up with the hardcore dedicated players.

Noogy

Whenever I feel burnout I realize I'm craving a complete linear and short experience. I usually end up playing 8-32 bit games to cleanse my palate.

jblank83

Replayed wolfenstein and it was a slog to replay even though I love it. Played uncharted. Don't want to play through games like evil within or the order again.

These are all "AAA". Sounds like you need to explore indie and mid-level gaming.

So short and sweet thread...I have gotten burnt out from the common action/adventure game.

Please recommend some out of the box type games or possibly online coop type games. Thanks GAF

It's not out of the box, but it's delightful:

Assault Android Cactus. It's just so much fun. I'm not good enough to beat the boss, so I wish there was a difficulty option.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'll suggest Alienation (PS4) which is an overhead twin stick shooter with some RPG elements in it. Great visuals, music and sound. Solid story. And will be adding a couch co-op mode soon (unless they've done so already as im not sure).

A second suggestion is Child of Light (PS4/Xbox One/PC) which is a 2D plat-former turn based RPG. Excellent game all around with a solid story and characters. Pretty sure that there's also a playable demo if I remember correctly.

Jumplion

Yeah, been in a similar rut. Haven't indulged in a game in forever, should probably just splurge on DOOM or mooch off my friend's PS4 and get through Bloodborne.

Also I second Burnout: Paradise. I've sunk in so many hours to it, you can just zone out with it and just drive around wherever. Makes me want to grab it on PC and just go hog.

Indelible

Try somethin completely different than you are used to, maybe a shorter 2D platformer. There are literally thousands of fun games for dirt cheap on Steam right now.

delume

Take a 3DS and download some glorious madness, the more abstract the better. Call your doctor if pain persists.

Ps4, xbone, iPhone , cheap pc (lol)

Maybe try grabbing a cheap Nintendo console. 2ds is like $80 right now. A lot of awesome, unique games between DS and 3ds library that are different experiences than the consoles. Also, check out the iOS gaf thread each month for some good iPhone suggestions.

rainz

Would second the Rocket League suggestions as well. Was feeling slightly the same and it was like a breath of fresh air having never played it before. Instant fun.

Jeb

Persona 4 is what got me out of my gaming burnout back in 2010, who knows, it could do the same for you.

Charming JRPG that is like Pokemon but half time management dating sim.

Dark Souls 1 did something similar later on.
Retro like difficulty encourages experimentation and discovery in a way that is rarely seen these days.

Phoenix Wright:Ace Attorney was a series I binged on after finishing Persona and was the one, two punch that cleared me out of the burnout for a long while.
It's kinda like a VN in which the first section of the game is like a point and click adventure in which you look for evidence and then the second part is like a puzzle when you confront a witness in court, hear his testimony and try to figure out a contradiction in his story in order to prove his innocence.
Very unique and fun gameplay with great characters and story.

takoyaki

Have you ever owned a DS? If not, think about getting one. There's a large number of quality games that offer something different:

-Layton 1-4
-Ace Attorney 1-4
-Hotel Dusk
-Trace Memory
-Rhythm Paradise
-Elite Beat Agents
-Scribblenauts
-The World Ends With You

and if you've never tried JRPGs, Dragon Quest 5 and Chrono Trigger have great DS versions.

Try Dark Souls, if you already haven't.

Don't be turned off by the difficulty, just give it a shot. Something about these games is unique, they really grab a hold of you like no other game

Top Bottom