• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Rich!

Slightly off topic but... Are any retro gaffers into Rocket League? Obviously, it's a modern game on modern hardware, but to me, it's got such a retro feel to it.

It feels like a modern take on Ice Hockey on NES: it has very simple rules with physics based gameplay that allows for a lot of creativity and depth. It's almost Pong-like to an extent but with far more mobility and in 3D space.

I think it may be my favorite game ever made at this point. Its sort of the ultimate in "easy to pick up but tough to master" gameplay where people can take a few simple controls to execute some insanely creative and sophistcated plays.

It's just so simple to grasp because it's so close to sports we all played growing up..., yet seeing what advanced players could do is nothing short of dazzling (and horrifying) as far as the sheer level of precision involved.

Yep, been basically playing it for years now considering its predecessor on the PS3

It's amazing but I miss the more complex arenas of the first one.

KC-Slater

Slightly off topic but... Are any retro gaffers into Rocket League? Obviously, it's a modern game on modern hardware, but to me, it's got such a retro feel to it.

It feels like a modern take on Ice Hockey on NES: it has very simple rules with physics based gameplay that allows for a lot of creativity and depth. It's almost Pong-like to an extent but with far more mobility and in 3D space.

I think it may be my favorite game ever made at this point. Its sort of the ultimate in "easy to pick up but tough to master" gameplay where people can take a few simple controls to execute some insanely creative and sophistcated plays.

It's just so simple to grasp because it's so close to sports we all played growing up..., yet seeing what advanced players could do is nothing short of dazzling (and horrifying) as far as the sheer level of precision involved.

It's the game that more often than not, I completely blow it while in a clutch situation lol. There's nothing like the panic that one feels when they have the opportunity for greatness, only to launch their car straight past the ball, powerless course correct mid-flight.

I love that game, though. It's perfect.

Peltz

It's the game that more often than not, I completely blow it while in a clutch situation lol. There's nothing like the panic that one feels when they have the opportunity for greatness, only to launch their car straight past the ball, powerless course correct mid-flight.

I love that game, though. It's perfect.
I definitely play better when I keep calm and stay thoughtful about how I'm positioning my car.

Yep, been basically playing it for years now considering its predecessor on the PS3

It's amazing but I miss the more complex arenas of the first one.

Is the first one still worth picking up? I didn't even know about it until well after modern day Rocket League came out on PS4.

Yes I love it! I play it on the X1 all the time. So if you have a bone, add me and we can double team.
giggity
Edit: I didn't know there was a first one either.

Rich!

Awwww yessssssss I worked out how to play my US and EU games on my JP saturn without installing a region free bios or buying a region free cart. I rip the game to my PC, use a region changer program I found on romhacking.net to change the ISO to region J, then burn it back to a CDR (I installed a mod chip)

It's a bit of a silly workaround but it works. Just gave it a go with my copy of Earthworm Jim 2 and it worked great

Theme Park next

televator

Well... looks like I jumped the gun on recommending KotOR on PC. Even after the whole day I spent gettin this game to run on my machine, I've now run into a game breaking problem.

After winning the first swoop race and rescuing a certain character in the game, a cutscenes plays... and then... nothing. The game just quits responding. I've tried putting the game back into windowed mode, but now I just can't seem to force the game back into windowed mode. I tried changing resolution then, but that just causes the game to crash at start up.

Yeah... fuck it. Play the Xbox version. Save yourself the hassle.

Timu

Well... looks like I jumped the gun on recommending KotOR on PC. Even after the whole day I spent gettin this game to run on my machine, I've now run into a game breaking problem.

After winning the first swoop race and rescuing a certain character in the game, a cutscenes plays... and then... nothing. The game just quits responding. I've tried putting the game back into windowed mode, but now I just can't seem to force the game back into windowed mode. I tried changing resolution then, but that just causes the game to crash at start up.

Reinstall the game man! It might work since it'll have default settings.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I actually felt kinda bummed after your initial impressions since I already owned the PC-versions but had just bought the Xbox-versions of the two games for convenience. So guess this makes me feel slightly better about that purchase at least.
Still sucks to hear of course.

televator

You're using mods? I hope that doesn't have an affect because some mods can break games. Vanilla should work fine.

Mods are what really put this game above the Xbox version. The widescreen fix itself is a mod. Without mods here's what you have: a game on more equal footing withe low res Xbox version. Yet it misses many effects that the Xbox can still run. Soft shadows and full screen filtering effects are absent because they were some ancient proprietary video card tech.

Timu

Mods are what really put this game above the Xbox version. The widescreen fix itself is a mod. Without mods here's what you have: a game on more equal footing withe low res Xbox version. Yet it misses many effects that the Xbox can still run. Soft shadows and full screen filtering effects are absent because they were some ancient proprietary video card tech.
Mods may or may not be the cause but they definitely break games, I mean you can break Skyrim with them. Though the widescreen fix is definitely useful.

televator

Mods may or may not be the cause but they definitely break games, I mean you can break Skyrim with them. Though the widescreen fix is definitely useful.

The mods in this game are very simplistically implemented. There's an override folder that the game already has in its directory. You just dump files in there. I removed the folder... no change. I'm fairly certain that the jankyness of this game's full/windowed screen is the cause, but like I said, the game is stuck in full screen for some reason.

I never had issues with kotor, though I didn't play for more than a few hours. Seems like your issues are atypical.

Actually, unresposiveness after certain screen changes are a common issue when I looked online. It has many causes and many possible fixes... but no guarantees that any one person will find a fix.

D.Lo

Anyone for Contra?

Always wanted this thing!
4qDQyL8.jpg

lmnazyS.jpg
Pretty decent for an LCD, and plays various bits of Contra music.

Actually, unresposiveness after certain screen changes are a common issue when I looked online. It has many causes and many possible fixes... but no guarantees that any one person will find a fix.
Sounds like it might be a hardware specific issue, then, unfortunately. Those are always a dick to work out.

televator

Sounds like it might be a hardware specific issue, then, unfortunately. Those are always a dick to work out.

I think what extra hoses me is that I really do need to play in full screen because I don't want to fuck up my plasma. Even borderless full screen, which is what I was using was a bitch to get working... which is so strange why I can't disable full screen at all now...

Cross-posting this from the snes collecting thread

So, I got a SupaBoy today, and I don't know if this is normal, but the backlight is brighter at the top middle of the screen, kind of washing out that spot, especially if the background is black. This was straight out of the box, so I plugged it in to get a full charge and I'm hoping that will fix it, but if not I am a little disappointed if this is normal. If it's not normal I guess I can try to exchange it for another.

D.Lo

I've never seen that one, but I had a TMNT LCD game that was in the exact same green mold.
Yep, Konami made a whole series of them, most (all?) the same shape. Bayou Billy, Top Gun, Gradius etc.

http://handheldmuseum.com/Konami/index.html

Cross-posting this from the snes collecting thread

So, I got a SupaBoy today, and I don't know if this is normal, but the backlight is brighter at the top middle of the screen, kind of washing out that spot, especially if the background is black. This was straight out of the box, so I plugged it in to get a full charge and I'm hoping that will fix it, but if not I am a little disappointed if this is normal. If it's not normal I guess I can try to exchange it for another.
Most of those clone consoles/handhelds have crappy build quality, so sounds about expected.

Khaz

I just bought some expensive vintage hardware, the kind that can be replaced by a $10 chinese product without any tradeoff, for a lot but not that much. I don't know how I feel. It looks so cool though.

Bunch of teases in here lol

For real! Spill it (preferably with pics)!!

It's a Sony TC-D5M.

When I first found out about it, I thought it looked super cool. And then I looked at the prices online and decided I'd be better without it, and settled for a $15 USB cassette player from China. After the postal service lost the first I ordered on eBay, then the second the seller sent me, I decided to order it from Amazon, thinking that although it would be slightly more expensive, at least it would be from a local. Eh, wrong. After the shipment got lost for a third time, and having waited 6 months overall, I decided to break my wallet for this beauty. I found it locally for auction, and got it for 100€ with a mic (that I will sell) in an excellent condition, when prices are usually more like 300 BIN. So it was an expensive bargain.

I tried it with an old tape from Blur (woo-hoo!). The sound coming from the speaker is crap, but I expected it. It's just monitoring. The sound from headphones out is better but still not very good, even with an expensive headset. At this point I was trying to rationalise it, thinking it was an old tape etc. It couldn't be my latest expensive impulse purchase, it just couldn't be. Then I plugged its line out to my amp. And damn, I could finally hear it in all its glory! It may not be crystal clear, interference-free like a CD, but it was still a very good, clear sound; really a joy to listen to. It's also much more satisfying to use than a walkman: instead of holding the thing in your hand, it's secure on the table and you control it with a single finger.

In relation to RetroGAF, I will be using it to load software stored on cassette tapes for old computers, like the Amstrad CPC and the SEGA SC-3000. I project to get a ZX Spectrum and maybe a C64 in the future, both needing a tape player to work.

ephemeral

I'm trying to find some protection for my sealed vita games but searching ebay for protective vita case doesn't yield good results. What are those things called and could you please direct me to the best place to get them? Thanks.

Edit: Problem solved, I did find this site after a lot of searching: http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/

D.Lo

It's a Sony TC-D5M.
In relation to RetroGAF, I will be using it to load software stored on cassette tapes for old computers, like the Amstrad CPC and the SEGA SC-3000. I project to get a ZX Spectrum and maybe a C64 in the future, both needing a tape player to work.

NERD!

(though I want the Nintendo branded one for similar reasons...)

Rich!

Well, I'm pissed off. not sure how I stand with this one.

I bidded £6 max on a Mega Drive 2 console, PAL, with two controllers, PSU and video cable. £4 postage. I thought, damn, if I can get this for my bid, I can 60hz mod it and have a decent console for a tenner! Won the action for £5.50. Awesome. But now I look at it and it states collection only and in the description "STRICTLY CASH ON COLLECTION".

bullshit! that wasn't the case when I placed the bid!

Lettuce

Well, I'm pissed off. not sure how I stand with this one.

I bidded £6 max on a Mega Drive 2 console, PAL, with two controllers, PSU and video cable. £4 postage. I thought, damn, if I can get this for my bid, I can 60hz mod it and have a decent console for a tenner! Won the action for £5.50. Awesome. But now I look at it and it states collection only and in the description "STRICTLY CASH ON COLLECTION".

bullshit! that wasn't the case when I placed the bid!

Im 99% sure that once a bid has been placed on an auction the sell cant go in and change, description, delivery or payment options, so this must have been the case already and maybe you didnt notice.

Unless he/she has added an amendment to the description after the fact, then you have a case

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nintendo is publishing Shovel Knight in Japan and they made a 1990s website for it.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/aksj/sp/index.html

What on earth is 1990s about this website? I see 0% of the 90s in this website.

It's a typically modern-ish website with pixel art from the game as background elements... unless I'm missing something.

And what would a 90s website have to do with an NES-style game anyway? The web started in 1993 and the last NES game was published in 1994. There was almost certainly no corporate website for an NES game. If you are being accurate to the era.... there'd be no website at all. This is something you'd do for a PS1-style game, at the earliest.

Teknoman

It's a typically modern-ish website with pixel art from the game as background elements... unless I'm missing something.

And what would a 90s website have to do with an NES-style game anyway? The web started in 1993 and the last NES game was published in 1994. There was almost certainly no corporate website for an NES game. If you are being accurate to the era.... there'd be no website at all. This is something you'd do for a PS1-style game, at the earliest.

It was an old website that looked like a geocities'ish page awhile back. Now its normal.

Uh yeah you are:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/shvc/
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/

Edit: oh and they changed it from looking like one of these. Lame.

You're late. Maybe the have the old site on internet archive.

Rich!

Posted this in the mega drive thread, but posting it here too as I need to share this GOOD NEWS

just bought this for £50 (free postage) to celebrate getting a new job today after a successful interview (totally out of the blue, didn't even apply for it but was contacted by a recruitment firm who found my CV and it just so happened to be a company in my town I wanted to work with for years now).

Thought £50 was a good deal - asian MD1 with RGB cable, controller, PSU and game.

a2Mmg2tl.jpg

rvxfUZAl.jpg

z3vmfkFl.jpg

VdCp99jl.jpg

hooray

I'll be adding a 60hz/region switch to it of course. I'm just happy that now I've finally rebuilt my console collection. I had to sell up everything in 2014 after the breakup with my ex, loss of my house, but now things are better than ever

KC-Slater

Posted this in the mega drive thread, but posting it here too as I need to share this GOOD NEWS

just bought this for £50 (free postage) to celebrate getting a new job today after a successful interview (totally out of the blue, didn't even apply for it but was contacted by a recruitment firm who found my CV and it just so happened to be a company in my town I wanted to work with for years now).

z3vmfkFl.jpg

VdCp99jl.jpg

hooray

I'll be adding a 60hz/region switch to it of course. I'm just happy that now I've finally rebuilt my console collection. I had to sell up everything in 2014 after the breakup with my ex, loss of my house, but now things are better than ever

One of the best looking consoles of all time. Congrats on the interview! Job hunting is the worst.

Morfeo

Thought £50 was a good deal - asian MD1 with RGB cable, controller, PSU and game.

a2Mmg2tl.jpg

rvxfUZAl.jpg

z3vmfkFl.jpg

VdCp99jl.jpg

hooray

And this asian model is region-free too right? Looks awesome for sure!

Rich!

And this asian model is region-free too right? Looks awesome for sure!

Thanks! And yeah it is - I used to have one years back but it was in far worse condition than this looks to be.

It can play all region carts with no issue, but I can't remember if it forces them all into 50hz or not. Like I said though, I'll be adding a region switch anyway so it's not an issue either way.

Morfeo

Thanks! And yeah it is - I used to have one years back but it was in far worse condition than this looks to be.

It can play all region carts with no issue, but I can't remember if it forces them all into 50hz or not. Like I said though, I'll be adding a region switch anyway so it's not an issue either way.

Be sure to tell us what it does before you add the switch, would be interesting to know. Congrats on a great pickup!

Mega

Banned

A 90s website would have a lot to do with it.

That wasn't an attempt at trying to replicate a 90s corporate website. The Shovel Knight page was an attempt to mimic the many amateur-made video game websites from the mid-late 90s, typically made on Geocities and Angelfire. If you were online at the time, you came across these all the time via web portals and searches on Yahoo, Lycos, Altavista, etc. Many were specific to a game like Super Mario World or series like Mega Man and they pretty much looked exactly like that Shovel Knight page. There were also "professional" sites that were a couple of steps above these like Secrets of the Sega Sages, N64.com, Video Game FAQs, TSR's NES Archive and others I'm forgetting.

D.Lo

A 90s website would have a lot to do with it.

That wasn't an attempt at trying to replicate a 90s corporate website. The Shovel Knight page was an attempt to mimic the many amateur-made video game websites from the mid-late 90s, typically made on Geocities and Angelfire. If you were online at the time, you came across these all the time via web portals and searches on Yahoo, Lycos, Altavista, etc. Many were specific to a game like Super Mario World or series like Mega Man and they pretty much looked exactly like that Shovel Knight page. There were also "professional" sites that were a couple of steps above these like Secrets of the Sega Sages, N64.com, Video Game FAQs, TSR's NES Archive and others I'm forgetting.
Yep. Some are still active too, if they were rehosted, like the legendary Tsr's NES Archive

http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/

I made a similar joke when my band released our last album, I made a 90s website for it. The URL has expired but it's hosted on dropbox so can still be seen here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8976245/Double Standard Website/index.html

Y'all been on that games of the gen thread right? Have me really diggin in the cranium for all the shit I've played and a reminder of things I need to play and go back and play.

Bauer91

I've been wondering, what does the PAL SNES 60Hz mod do? Does it make PAL games run fullscreen and in 60Hz making the experience similar to what you'd get with an NTSC console and NTSC game or is it not that simple/good?

Top Bottom