• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

Gisa and Geralf are cute. Neither are as interesting as their solo cards, but it'll make for a decent zombie tribal general. I don't think there's really been a good UB option before now.

DrArchon

Gisa and Geralf looks pretty neat. Finally another way to get Prized Amalgam out of the yard in standard. 4/4 isn't too bad of a body either.

Not sure what to think of Bloodhall Priest. Will probably end up a bulk rare, but at least the ability works when it attacks as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gisa and Geralf looks pretty neat. Finally another way to get Prized Amalgam out of the yard in standard. 4/4 isn't too bad of a body either.

Not sure what to think of Bloodhall Priest. Will probably end up a bulk rare, but at least the ability works when it attacks as well.

It's a bulk rare and madness doesn't appear to be not sucking in constructed as bad as it did in SOI.

I think Madness is one of those mechanics that's really hard to balance. It's either overly powerful or junky because of the nature of discarding stuff. I don't feel like they provided enough incentives to actually run madness in a deck.

DrArchon

It's a bulk rare and madness doesn't appear to be not sucking in constructed as bad as it did in SOI.

I think Madness is one of those mechanics that's really hard to balance. It's either overly powerful or junky because of the nature of discarding stuff. I don't feel like they provided enough incentives to actually run madness in a deck.

Yeah, when Madness first popped up it was nuts for a while. I remember Wild Mongrel being the absolute shit back then. Stuff like that and Basking Rootwalla were incredible and I don't blame WotC for taking a more conservative approach to Madness.

Bloodhall Priest should be a limited monster though once you hit the inevitable top-deck phase. Plus I'd be willing to put it in certain EDH decks, like maybe a hardcore Malphegor Hellbent deck.

G.ZZZ

They either had to make madness cost cheapers or have bettter madness enablers. As it is it feel way underpowered, and also, they still haven't given a good madness enabler for red which should be the primary madness color now. It's not like Wild Mongrel would even be playable now jeez. You can print something like that or a colorshifted Compulsion for red.

Adaren

It would be hilarious if Emrakul gets defeated by 7 2/2 flying zombies.

I expect a major plot point to be how Liliana develops flying zombies.

Or maybe zombies with reach? She could stack them on top of each other. Her -8 could be "You gain an emblem with 'Zombies you control have "Sacrifice another creature: this creature gains Reach until end of turn"'".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Liliana finally actually has the Chain Veil with her in a piece of art lol

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i literally just discovered that in my head i've been conflating emrakul's 'protection from coloured spells' with progenitus's 'protection from everything' for the last six months.

Angry Grimace

Sorin is blaming Liliana for Emrakul instead of himself for pissing Nahiri off and then instead of either killing her or letting her leave, locking her in a dark room for a thousand years.

Angry Grimace

Magic Story

* Liliana is trying to use a lightning storm and a Witchbane Orb to allow her to use the Chain Veil without the side effects. It doesn't work and its extremely painful to call on the power of the Veil. She thinks the only person who could really help her figure out how to use it is "Cloak Boy," but the last time she saw him he was fucking crazy.

* Liliana is attacked by Emrakul-Werewolves. She dispatches them, but Olivia Voldaren's geistmage gets busted up (he's a zombie so he's still, er, alive).

* Liliana goes to Voldaren Manor and the Priest lady at the door won't let her in (the spoiled card). Liliana is annoyed, but asks to talk to Olivia.

* Olivia has every vampire in the entire brood at the manor and is having a "party" to celebrate Avacyn's destruction. She keeps talking about how she wished she knew who destroyed the Helvault so she could thank them, hint hint.

* She is lead to the back room where she meets Sorin, and Olivia reveals she's in cahoots with Sorin and her manner was all a game. She accuses Liliana of breaking the Helvault (actually, it was Thalia) and releasing Nahiri.

* Sorin blames Liliana for the plane's destruction (instead of either Nahiri, or himself, which are both equally as accurate). He tries to act hard but Liliana isn't scared of him because she could just use the Chain Veil if she had to.

* Sorin demands she help him and Olivia's Vampire Army march to defeat Nahiri. They're ignoring Emrakul and the Eldrazi in favor of getting revenge on Nahiri. Liliana basically says "fuck that" and decides to head for Thraben to save "Cloak Boy."

Angry Grimace

ingeniousskaab.jpg

Ingenious Skaab - Zombie Horror
Prowess
U: Ingenious Skaab gets +1/-1 until end of turn

haunteddead.jpg

Haunted Dead - Zombie
When Haunted Dead enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying into play.
1B, discard two cards: Return Haunted Dead from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.

Magic Story - Innistrad's Last Hope
* Liliana conducts an experiment on the Chain Veil with Dierk, a geistmage who came strongly recommended by Olivia Voldaren, and his assistant, Gared. It doesn't work.
* As Dierk leaves, he gets mauled by Eldrazified werewolves. Liliana kills them and reanimates Dierk, but he can't do anything but stumble and gurgle. Liliana, Dierk, and Gared head to the Voldareen mansion to return Dierk and the equipment they were using.
* On the way, Liliana sees a lot of wacky stuff.
* At the mansion, she is let in by Olivia after a guard stops her.
* It turns out Sorin is waiting for her inside, and he does everything he can to shift the blame for Nahiri's actions from him to Liliana for opening the Helvault.
* Sorin has convinced Olivia that killing Nahiri will stop all this weird stuff. He has completely given up on Innistrad and won't bother to deal with Emrakul.
* Sorin and Olivia head out with an army. Liliana is worried about Jace, but she's tsundere about it. She finds herself walking around, raising zombies, and notes that the zombies don't seem to be effected by Emrakul's madness. She decides that she'll have to be Innistrad's last hope.

EDIT: Concerning who opened the Helvault, while it was Thalia who performed the act, it was Liliana who forced her to do it under duress. White can destroy artifacts, but black can't.

Angry Grimace

Haunted Dead is a funny card.

It's the body of the dead person as a zombie, and the spirit is the ghost of the person who used to be in the body.

DrArchon

God, Haunted Dead sounds like a nightmare to get past in limited. Just get constant blockers while you get to dig for an answer turn after turn. Great flavor too.

jph139

Story was cute. The crossection of monoblack, black-white, and black-red characters makes for entertaining dialogue. Beyer writes Lili well, even if her voice gets a bit too cheesy and forced sometimes (like "Cloak Boy").

Also love her new art - already my phone wallpaper.

Angry Grimace

There's no way that story wasn't intended to be a spoiler for Liliana's card. They must have changed their minds and gave it to someone else.

There's no way that story wasn't intended to be a spoiler for Liliana's card. They must have changed their minds and gave it to someone else.

One of the big complaints about spoiler week is that the second week is rarely as interesting as the first. Holding off a marquee card for later could be part of addressing that. We'll see if her card isn't actually revealed this week.

ElyrionX

Magic Story - Innistrad's Last Hope
* Liliana conducts an experiment on the Chain Veil with Dierk, a geistmage who came strongly recommended by Olivia Voldaren, and his assistant, Gared. It doesn't work.
* As Dierk leaves, he gets mauled by Eldrazified werewolves. Liliana kills them and reanimates Dierk, but he can't do anything but stumble and gurgle. Liliana, Dierk, and Gared head to the Voldareen mansion to return Dierk and the equipment they were using.
* On the way, Liliana sees a lot of wacky stuff.
* At the mansion, she is let in by Olivia after a guard stops her.
* It turns out Sorin is waiting for her inside, and he does everything he can to shift the blame for Nahiri's actions from him to Liliana for opening the Helvault.
* Sorin has convinced Olivia that killing Nahiri will stop all this weird stuff. He has completely given up on Innistrad and won't bother to deal with Emrakul.
* Sorin and Olivia head out with an army. Liliana is worried about Jace, but she's tsundere about it. She finds herself walking around, raising zombies, and notes that the zombies don't seem to be effected by Emrakul's madness. She decides that she'll have to be Innistrad's last hope.

EDIT: Concerning who opened the Helvault, while it was Thalia who performed the act, it was Liliana who forced her to do it under duress. White can destroy artifacts, but black can't.

So Liliana is a Power Ranger too?

Angry Grimace

One of the big complaints about spoiler week is that the second week is rarely as interesting as the first. Holding off a marquee card for later could be part of addressing that. We'll see if her card isn't actually revealed this week.

Its weird though; it feels like the reveals are really slow this time.

Basically what I am saying is give me all the cards right now WOTC or else there will be trouble

Toxi

Banned
Is Gisa and Geralf the first case we've ever seen of two characters who each have their own separate legend card getting one that represents both of them together?
Karona, False God (Phage+Akroma)

Iname as One (Iname, Life's Aspect + Iname, Death's Aspect)

:p

Maledict

Jesus Christ did they really need to write Lilianna as such a moaning, desperate to be loved character? I didn't think that was her personality at all, but they did a really good job of reducing her to obsessing over Jace and a need to be hugged.

hermit7

On the contrary I figured it would be on Monday during that third video they were discussing. They even talked about how it was going to be about liliana.

Jesus Christ did they really need to write Lilianna as such a moaning, desperate to be loved character? I didn't think that was her personality at all, but they did a really good job of reducing her to obsessing over Jace and a need to be hugged.

but that's why you need Jace on Innistrad for the tension the relationship between these two brings.

this is sarcasm, just in case

Santiako

But she's the black PW. Black is evil. That's what we've been taught.

You've been taught wrong. Black is patient, black is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Black does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom