• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

Um, Tree of Redemption only affected *your* life total. This affects your opponents. It's a completely different card in terms of impact, it's not just colour shifted.

Woops, my bad. Shows how good I am in remembering cards from ages ago, not quite to say.

Someone in r/edh pointed out a nice combo

104.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You get a white spirit Goyf and a black 0/1 I think

That would only be correct if Tarmogoyf's P/T was 0/1 by default and a seprate ability gave it +1/+1 for each type of card in all graveyards. It's */*+1, which is a number equal to the types of cards in all graveyards at all times. If you have a Goyf in your yard and there's a Bolt, a Thoughtseize and a fetchland in the graveyard, the Goyf in the yard is a 4/5.

t should give you a zombie with whatever the P/T of Tarmogoyf is at the time you cast it.

Yeah, the zombie will have whatever P/T the Goyf had at the time of exile since it's ability functions in all zones, so it will be set to Goyf's last known information.

Not sure about the spirit. My guess is that it's copied ability overrides the 1/1, so it'll act like a normal Goyf.

Lucario

Was already brewing before I noticed the words "sacrifice soul separator". Almost thought they printed an instant speed Whip of Erebos with upside, heh.

8 mana + sac makes me think it won't see any real Constructed play. There might be some EDH deck that would love the effect, but when is that not the case for cards like this? Seems strong in Sealed if just to get two more bodies on the table mid to late game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I missed the Sacrifice part. Never mind, lol.

I'm pretty sure if it repeatedly let you get Ulamogs and Atarkas it would be busted.

I'm betting you that you could totally steal a game or two in a Tier 3 jank deck using this and Ulamog.

8 mana + sac makes me think it won't see any real Constructed play. There might be some EDH deck that would love the effect, but when is that not the case for cards like this? Seems strong in Sealed if just to get two more bodies on the table mid to late game.

It's like EDH.card. Its one of those cards like Assault Formation that someone will make a deck for to win a game here and there at FNM because what it actually does is Johnny enough for people to make the deck.

Well, Soul Separator doesn't require black mana (in fact it doesn't require any colored mana), it grabs from the graveyard instead of the battlefield and doesn't have strings attached like Animate Dead does. Unless I'm missing something it's much easier nowadays to put something into the graveyard instead of cheating it from your hand.

I won't disagree that 8 mana is a high price to pay but the result seems fairly strong. You don't have to pay for that 8 mana all at once though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Well, Soul Separator doesn't require black mana (in fact it doesn't require any colored mana), it grabs from the graveyard instead of the battlefield and doesn't have strings attached like Animate Dead does. Unless I'm missing something it's much easier nowadays to put something into the graveyard instead of cheating it from your hand.

I won't disagree that 8 mana is a high price to pay but the result seems fairly strong. You don't have to pay for that 8 mana all at once though.

Right, I want to see if this makes sense as some kind of G/B ramp reanimator thing

okay THIS is now my new favorite

This rules. I have no idea what happens if you use it on a Tarmogoyf.

You get a goyf-sized flying spirit and a zombie the size of a goyf at the time you crack it, I think? It's a characteristic-setting ability so the spirit should get it, but CSAs are active in other zones so the "power and toughness" of the goyf at the time you do this is whatever it would be in play.

f0rk

Sorry if late but I just released having the back of flip cards have a CMC must have been at least partially driven by emerge.

Angry Grimace

okay THIS is now my new favorite

You get a goyf-sized flying spirit and a zombie the size of a goyf at the time you crack it, I think? It's a characteristic-setting ability so the spirit should get it, but CSAs are active in other zones so the "power and toughness" of the goyf at the time you do this is whatever it would be in play.

The power/toughness setting of the artifact applies in 7B, after the CDA that sets P/T in 7A. It will be a 1/1 Spirit and a Zombie that's the size of whatever Goyf was at the time you used the ability. The zombie will gain the additional P/T from Soul Separator if there wasn't an artifact in the graveyard at the time you used the ability.

DrArchon

Fuck yeah. We could always use another octopus.

End of turn, flash this thing in, tap their field, oh that's gonna feel good.

Angry Grimace

I herd u liek tentacles so i put tentacles on your tentacles so u can smash while u smash

Ashodin

We totally Yu-Gi-Oh now.

Meld = Fusion creatures in YGO
Emerge = Special Summon (4+ Star creatures)

What else? Trap cards back!? :D

Santiako

Reddit spoilers:

Smoldering Werewolf

{2}{R}{R}

Creature - Werewolf Horror (Uncommon)

When Smoldering Werewolf enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each of up to two target creatures.

{4}{R}{R}: Transform Smoldering Werewolf.

3/2

Erupting Dreadwolf

Creature - Eldrazi Werewolf (Uncommon)

Whenever Erupting Dreadwolf attacks, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

6/4

----

Vildin-Pack Outcast

{4}{R}

Creature - Werewolf Horror (Common)

Trample

{R}: Vildin-Pack Outcast gets +1/-1 until end of turn.

{5}{R}{R}: Transform Vildin-Pack Outcast.

4/4

Dronepack Kindred

Creature - Eldrazi Werewolf (Common)

Trample

{1}: Dronepack Kindred gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

5/7

------

Kessig Prowler

{G}

Creature - Werewolf Horror (Uncommon)

{4}{G}: Transform Kessig Prowler.

2/1

Sinuous Predator

Creature - Eldrazi Werewolf (Uncommon)

Sinous Predator can't be blocked by more than one creature.

4/4

There's pictures too, but I'm on mobile.

Wizards printing 2/1s for 1 like it's nothing nowadays lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The power/toughness setting of the artifact applies in 7B, after the CDA that sets P/T in 7A. It will be a 1/1 Spirit and a Zombie that's the size of whatever Goyf was at the time you used the ability. The zombie will gain the additional P/T from Soul Separator if there wasn't an artifact in the graveyard at the time you used the ability.
Why doesn't the spirit have its P/T setting ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom