• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

I thought they wanted to get away from 4-mana sweepers. This seems to prove the contrary.

Languish is the last bastion of sweepers at 4 mana. Once it's gone we'll be stuck with shit like Planar Outburst or even worse, Descend Upon the Sinful, they might even be like "mehhhhhh sweepers are for commander, just keep them at 6 mana"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So how exactly does the "Emrakul fucks up the creatures of the plane" thing work exactly? Like it emits radioactive energy that mutates organisms on a cellular level?
Their presence causes the types of corruption that they are associated with:

Ulamog affects mana and energy by draining it.
Kozilek affects reality around itself by distorting it.
Emrakul affects life and living matter by corrupting it.

That's why they all have different types of "corruption" - Ulamog turns things to dust, Kozilek warps them into bismuth like structures, Emrakul's corrupts living things into fleshy tentacles, but has no-effect on non-living matter.

This is why Liliana is being set up as the hero of the arc: her zombies aren't alive and can't be corrupted.

duxstar

Best card was spoiled in the set, no need to see any more spoilers

Kessig Prowler

Can't be topped, Green 2/1 for 1 I'm in, now theres a card to really get excited about =)

I'm halfway serious.

red13th

I'm definitely cubing that Werewolf. 3 cube worthy cards already (Thalia, Hanweir Garrison, and the 2/1 Werewolf for G), I'm happy with the set already.

Ozigizo

Languish is the last bastion of sweepers at 4 mana. Once it's gone we'll be stuck with shit like Planar Outburst or even worse, Descend Upon the Sinful, they might even be like "mehhhhhh sweepers are for commander, just keep them at 6 mana"

I don't mind them at 5. I understand the current need, though, considering Collected Company is still in. But making 4-5 cc creatures obey the same thinking is ridiculous.

Matriox

I wouldn't write it off yet, we've seen a lot more commons and uncommons vs. the rares that get people excited than normal.

The number of and type of cards revealed is a bit unusual though. The cards that tend to get people excited tend to be constructed playable stuff, and they're slow-rolling all that. The only obviously constructed playable card so far is the most boring mythic in the universe in Gisela (assuming you play it un-melded).

Oh don't get me wrong we still have a long way to go. I'm not out yet, just a bit disappointed thus far that's all. Emrakul just wasn't what I was looking for and so far every Mythic has been sort of disappointing except the tree, which I want for edh but that's about it. I'm still hopeful though,just burnt out on eldrazi for sure. Someone else mentioned they should have done these eldrazi sets backwards which seems like it would have been super sweet, I would have been on board for that imo.

Zocano

At least on Innistrad, Vampirism is a curse taken on by drinking the blood of an angel. They're not undead.

So is Sorin a "real" vampire? Is it cause Angel's probably a part of his blood since he made them and so it just gets passed down. What happens if you just drink Sorin's blood. We must find out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sorin is a real vampire. He was made a vampire by his grandfather Edgar (we have no idea where Edgar is, actually), who was told how to do this by a demon named Shilgengar, and Sorin became a Planeswalker due to the strain of being made a vampire. Becoming an Oldwalker did not, apparently remove the curse either.

Sorin is a real vampire. He was made a vampire by his grandfather Edgar (we have no idea where Edgar is, actually), who was told how to do this by a demon named Shilgengar, and Sorin became a Planeswalker due to the strain of being made a vampire. Becoming an Oldwalker did not, apparently remove the curse either.

Weren't oldwalkers without actual form? Isn't it more like getting demoted to a Nuwalker returned him to his original cursed form.

Angry Grimace

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/savor-flavor/planes-planechase-2009-12-30

Reading this old articles on the Planes they made up makes me want sets on a lot of them.

I think Muraganda is still top of the list (Prehistoric World!). I always wanted to do real Phyrexia, but I don't know if you could even design an entire set on a place that is almost literally just Hell.

I liked that they invented an entire plane just to explain why Segovian Leviathan was a 3/3 (its a plane that is basically just Lilliput from Gulliver's Travels and everything there is tiny)

Yeef

This art feels really retro. Can totally imagine it in a super old set.
It's a throwback to Hill GiantRusset Wolves, oddly enough. Forgettable card, but the art is fairly similar and has the same artist. It also makes sense, since the rest of the intro pack rares are throwbacks (mechanically) to cards form the original Innistrad.

102.jpg

It really is the only big sweeper in the format outside of five mana wraths.

And once that's gone, we'll be stuck with them.
I thought they wanted to get away from 4-mana sweepers. This seems to prove the contrary.
What they said was that sweeper lower than 5 will be conditional, but sweepers 5 and higher will be unconditional with upside. Languish fits that mold.

So is Sorin a "real" vampire? Is it cause Angel's probably a part of his blood since he made them and so it just gets passed down. What happens if you just drink Sorin's blood. We must find out.
To be clear, Sorin only created Avacyn, not the other angels.

The power/toughness setting of the artifact applies in 7B, after the CDA that sets P/T in 7A. It will be a 1/1 Spirit and a Zombie that's the size of whatever Goyf was at the time you used the ability. The zombie will gain the additional P/T from Soul Separator if there wasn't an artifact in the graveyard at the time you used the ability.

Aren't the base characteristics of a token applied first, before layered effects? I'm going off this: http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Interaction_of_continuous_effects

I have a suspicion it was hard to design for. You have to check a LOT of boxes to make a mechanic like that work.

The need to put some card advantage or mitigation on the fronts does limit it somewhat.

The Silver Moon will imprison Emrakul, I'm sure.

I'm gonna be legit annoyed if this isn't true, it seems so heavily set up.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/savor-flavor/planes-planechase-2009-12-30

Reading this old articles on the Planes they made up makes me want sets on a lot of them.

I think Muraganda and Kaldheim are intended to be settings for blocks and we'll almost certainly see them (or renamed versions of them) soonish, and I suspect we'll get Shandalar eventually. Ir and Valla also seem at least possible.

Angry Grimace

They had a line in Nahiri's story where she mentioned the Silver Moon was made of the same material as the Helvault but it hasn't been relevant in any other way. It seems like a very obvious Chekov's Gun.

"The moon. He had called down a beam of moonlight, heavy as a boulder but with no substance whatsoever, to bind her. And finally, surrounded by its light, breathing in the scent of it, she understood what was so strange about Innistrad's moon. It was made of silver. Like the Helvault." HINT HINT HINT

There's also the fact that the set is named Eldritch Moon and the moon is so far completely irrelevant to anything in the story.

Yeef

Aren't the base characteristics of a token applied first, before layered effects? I'm going off this: http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Interaction_of_continuous_effects
In this case, the base characteristics are a direct copy of the creature, then the token-creating ability sets its power and toughness to 1. it's similar to Quicksilver Gargantuan.

There's also the fact that the set is named Eldritch Moon and the moon is so far completely irrelevant to anything in the story.
In Tamiyo's Journal she called the force acting on Innistrad an "Eldritch Moon." It turned out to be Emrakul.

Adaren

Don't take this the wrong way, but Bloodhall Priest has the face of an Asian man, doesn't she?

c4rd4r7_qnO3ZHHec2.jpg

What are the chances that this is intentional / tapping into some lesser known vampire mythos?

Angry Grimace

I'm going to go with the obvious and say its just an unusual looking Asian-featured lady - the story made it clear it was a lady.

Crocodile

I just assumed that said vampire lady was wearing the face of a human she drained as a mask. It doesn't look like the face is properly connected to the rest of the head and the eyes look empty. Like a mask.

Hero

I think Muraganda is still top of the list (Prehistoric World!). I always wanted to do real Phyrexia, but I don't know if you could even design an entire set on a place that is almost literally just Hell.

I liked that they invented an entire plane just to explain why Segovian Leviathan was a 3/3 (its a plane that is basically just Lilliput from Gulliver's Travels and everything there is tiny)

Re: Muraganda, sometime last year MaRo was trying to talk about dragons or something on one of his podcasts and accidentally said dinosaurs instead. Not to mention with the popularity of Jurassic World, I wouldn't be surprised to see dinosaurs show up in the next year or two.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Vryn, from what we've seen, would be a half decent setting for a fantasy novel but not a particularly good setting for a Magic set, I feel.

Well, they still have time

Vryn, from what we've seen, would be a half decent setting for a fantasy novel but not a particularly good setting for a Magic set, I feel.

Right now Vryn is a bowl of Cheerios because it's hard to do creative development on ten worlds at a time so they just photocopied the one thing they'd already established about it onto every card set there. When we do a block (and we will, every other planeswalker gets one for their homeworld) presumably they'll do slightly more work to make it interesting.

Phyrexians on it are the best choice.

I'm into it.

Angry Grimace

Right now Vryn is a bowl of Cheerios because it's hard to do creative development on ten worlds at a time so they just photocopied the one thing they'd already established about it onto every card set there. When we do a block (and we will, every other planeswalker gets one for their homeworld) presumably they'll do slightly more work to make it interesting.

I'm into it.

Except Liliana, she has like 30 sets on her homeworld!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I thought 4 mana was for conditional sweepers, which Languish would be a part of.

Angry Grimace

LSV named his daughter "Naya" and then tried to argue it doesn't count as naming your kid after a Magic card because that's not a card name.

Angry Grimace

I mean, yeah it would have been worse if he tried to name her Esper or Jund.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I've been looking at the art for Scars block cards and while I appreciate what they are trying to do with Eldrazi, the Phyrexian art from that block is filled with really unsettling art thats on another level horrorwise.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Some Lets Players I follow most famous for playing every Sonic game named their daughter first name Amelia middle name Rose and swear that they weren't intentionally naming her Amy Rose

Also I just bust out laughing at "Esper Scott Vargas"

Yeef

We do have a bit of info on Vryn just from Jace's origin story. Assuming things haven't changed much, two sides of a confliect were warring over control of the mage rings, but Alhammaret was basically manipulating them (and Jace) to make sure the war never ends.

I think the more likely reason we won't go to Vryn right after Kaladesh is because Jace was just the protagonist of Shadows Over Innistrad. It'd be a bit too soon to have he be "the face" again just a year later. I'm guessing Kaldheim or Shandalar comes after Kaladesh. Shandalar's gimmick is that it's a "wandering plane;" it actually drifts though the multiverse. I could see them having whatever Aether shenanigans go on in Aether revolt some how affecting Shandalar and having that be the connecting thread.

Maro on planeswalkers:

orannisthesquirrelking asked: Can you tell us how many planeswalker cards are in EM? Are there any, considering that there were four in SOI?

There is not zero.

That sure sounds like a dodge around admitting the Tamiyo card to me...

I think the more likely reason we won't go to Vryn right after Kaladesh is because Jace was just the protagonist of Shadows Over Innistrad.

Yeah, I agree.

In terms of Rosewater's "short list" of plane ideas, excepting ones we've already seen, I think the most likely options to see show up are: Egyptian World, Prehistoric World (that would be Muraganda), High Fantasy World, Viking World (this would be Kaldheim), and maybe Fairy Tale world or Pirate World. None of the other pre-existing worlds we've talked about really fit any of those archetypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom