• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Regarding Vryn, I strongly suspect that when they decide to go there the narrative will center around Jace recovering his memory. I think that's a high value story thread and thus I don't expect to see it for a while, partially because SOI has been a Jace story, but especially since Kaladesh could basically be the Chandra version, minus the amnesia. I mean, we WILL learn a lot about Chandra here, I'm sure. But I anticipate any revelations pertaining to her to be surprises (eg: being adopted) rather than regaining memories.

0106_MTGEMN_EN_HRR.png

Red Donate, but this time is cute? wtf

Wow, I didn't expect a straight-up colorshift of Donate. Donate is on the Reserved List, by the way. Admittedly, it took me a moment to remember that this works with Demonic Pact in Standard.
92.jpg

But so far, has there been anything else that you'd want to use with it after Magic Origins rotates out?

As for the art, it's pretty cute, but note the weird tail and the bandage on that guy's hand. Actually, I did think that cats were conspicuously absent this block, after Wizards previously made a big deal out of how Sanctuary Cat was far more popular than they expected during original Innistrad block.

Yeef

I wonder if this will actually do anything in limited/standard or if this is just to try donate out in Modern.

Ashodin

Wow, I didn't expect a straight-up colorshift of Donate. Donate is on the Reserved List, by the way. Admittedly, it took me a moment to remember that this works with Demonic Pact in Standard.
92.jpg

But so far, has there been anything else that you'd want to use with it after Magic Origins rotates out?

As for the art, it's pretty cute, but note the weird tail and the bandage on that guy's hand. Actually, I did think that cats were conspicuously absent this block, after Wizards previously made a big deal out of how Sanctuary Cat was far more popular than they expected during original Innistrad block.

So you can donate Demonic Pact when it has "You Lose The Game" left and it wins you the game? LOL

ALSO AWWWWWWWWWWWWW CUTE WIDDLE PUDDUMWUDDLES

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm guessing this still isn't enough to push a Vampire deck.
I mean maybe. Heir of Falkenrath is literally the best Vampire in the deck and this does a good imitation of it. With this, Ravenous Bloodseeker and Heir you have enough discard outlets to reliably treat Temper as Bolt.

What the deck actually needs is Thalia's Lietenant for Vampires, though.

Are we taking bets on what color(s) Tamiyo will be? U or U/W seem the most likely but I sort of want her to get corrupted and be the third U/B PW.

Haines

Banned
That kitty does not fit in with that 10 mana beast card reveal lol

Need to shake some rust off.is magic duels finally playable or should I just do a couple drafts online.

Well. Isn't it only like 6 colorless creatures in the set or whatever.

Sure, I also said "some".

Just compare Eldrazihoof to Worldbreaker, both colourless green mythic Eldrazi. Worldbreaker is an amazing card in that it puts the player in a spot where they have to weigh if they even want to destroy it and risk it getting recurred and blowing up another land or leaving a 5/7 on the board.
Eldrazihoof is a worse craterhoof you can cast without ramp.

DrArchon

So they fixed Craterhoof I see. Only buffs when cast and doesn't care about how many creatures you have. I mean with Ever After still being a thing I see why, but it is a little disappointing (though there are worse things to reanimate than a 7/7 with trample and haste).

Red Donate is unexpected but I love the art. I don't care if that cute kitty is some horrible mutant. Look how happy it is!

I'm just gonna point out that back when they printed Reverberate they said 'this is too close to something on the reserve list' (fork) and wouldn't be doing again. But now we have literally just red donate. It's not even planar chaos anymore.

DrArchon

I thought Wharf Infiltrator seemed nuts until I saw that his token making only triggers when you discard creature cards. Boo! I wanted to turn lands into cheap 3/2's!

Still decent though. I mean, at least you get more cards no matter what you discard.

DrArchon

If it was any card it would be insane.

Well it would have to at least make worse tokens, or cost more, but yes discard any card and pay 2 mana for a 3/2 would be busted.

I wish this guy was in black or red though, so you could combo it with all the Madness Vampires. Discard Incorrigible Youths, pay 4R, get a 4/3 with Haste and a 3/2. Seems like a sweet deal.

The Infiltrator certainly seems interesting. Simply being able to cycle cards alone is good. The last ability works with any discard and It technically works with madness as well, but that usage will likely be limited due to cost and colour. Overall it seems like a solid card that could certainly see play but only if the rest of the pieces of a deck exist, which is a bit iffy.

Lucario

Oh damn, the "whenever you discard a creature" clause is independent of the other abilities. Seems great, even if you don't build around it. The good mana dorks are 0/1 and 2/1 right now, so it's going to be a looter il-Kor with upside in a large number of matchups.

Like, what's going to block it post-rotation? Jaddi Offshoot? Nissa tokens? Seems like Humans is the only current deck that can reliably block it, but even then, Thraben Inspector is your only 'real' solution. Town Gossipmonger can't be angry yet, and Thalia's Lieutenant needs to be a 1/1 still.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
why 3/2 tho

Actual answer: so it uses the same tokens as Hanweir, the Writing Township. Flavor answer: because Eldrazi are weird and have weird stats.

en_ayNiEZ76kB.png
en_bJiYQsyNuW.png

I dunno if this set is just boring me or they're releasing spoilers in a weird way.

Reveal a PW already.

Oh damn, the "whenever you discard a creature" clause is independent of the other abilities. Seems great, even if you don't build around it. The good mana dorks are 0/1 and 2/1 right now, so it's going to be a looter il-Kor with upside in a large number of matchups.

Like, what's going to block it post-rotation? Jaddi Offshoot? Nissa tokens? Seems like Humans is the only current deck that can reliably block it, but even then, Thraben Inspector is your only 'real' solution. Town Gossipmonger can't be angry yet, and Thalia's Lieutenant needs to be a 1/1 still.

The new best creature in Standard, Curious Humonculus, can block it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom