• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Geier Reach Sanitarium seems pretty cool for EDH.

en_ayNiEZ76kB.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean Eldritch Evolution is really good, so its not really fair to dismiss it just because some dude spoiled it early. You can in fact go from Voice of Resurgence to Siege Rhino with it or whatever BS Birthing Pod-esque shenanigans you can think of (the actual answer is Eldritch Evolution ----> Eternal Witness ----> Eldritch Evolution -----> Kiki-Jiki or whatever)

Geier Reach Sanitarium seems pretty cool for EDH.

en_ayNiEZ76kB.png

Combos with Notion Thief

Hero

I mean Eldritch Evolution is really good, so its not really fair to dismiss it just because some dude spoiled it early. You can in fact go from Voice of Resurgence to Siege Rhino with it or whatever BS Birthing Pod-esque shenanigans you can think of (the actual answer is Eldritch Evolution ----> Eternal Witness ----> Eldritch Evolution -----> Kiki-Jiki or whatever)

EE exiles itself.

OnPoint

I mean Eldritch Evolution is really good, so its not really fair to dismiss it just because some dude spoiled it early. You can in fact go from Voice of Resurgence to Siege Rhino with it or whatever BS Birthing Pod-esque shenanigans you can think of.

I didn't mean to dismiss it. It's certainly a very cool and powerful card. I think it will certainly see play. Either the higher number of perform action on cast instead of 'when x enters the battlefield' will limit its usefulness in standard, or we've found the card that will push CoCo to the moon and back.

DrArchon

Eldritch Evolution looks really good, like any card that reminds me of Birthing Pod should.

Geier Reach Sanitarium looks boring to me. I'm sure it'll be fun in EDH and other casual formats, but I dunno. I mean, we get legendary lands so infrequently now, and this is what we get?

Actual answer: so it uses the same tokens as Hanweir, the Writing Township. Flavor answer: because Eldrazi are weird and have weird stats.

en_ayNiEZ76kB.png
en_bJiYQsyNuW.png

I dunno if this set is just boring me or they're releasing spoilers in a weird way.

Yeah, it's really hard to say. For me at least I think a big problem is that things just don't really seem to be tying together beyond the "Hey, Emrakul is making things weird!" sense. I'm not getting a great sense of what the set is doing mechanically or with flavour (besides Emrakul but that's sorta whatever at this point) or with the story. Also not many of the cards have been super exciting or interesting yet.

Hero

Oh shit it does, well that sucks.

Yeah, it'd be pretty bonkers if it didn't.

Turn one birds into turn two EE, sac the birds to get Witness, Finks, or Voice and then it can get out of control from there.

Wonder if it would've been okay if they said exile the creature instead of sacrifice it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't like cards like Natural Order and Eldritch Evolution in EDH, personally. I just don't like having cheaty-tutor stuff lol

OnPoint

I don't like cards like Natural Order and Eldritch Evolution in EDH, personally. I just don't like having cheaty-tutor stuff lol

If it were up to me, tutors and unfair mana rocks like Sol Ring and Mana Crypt would be banned in EDH. Part of the fun of Commander, to me, is the variance.

Angry Grimace

I mean, Eldritch Evolution does sort of explain why Bruna costs 5WW instead of like 4WW.

ironmang

People losing their shit over bootleg Natural Order on reddit. Trading 2 cards for a slightly bigger creature just doesn't seem very good in standard and in modern those decks already have Company and Chord and you can't really afford to run too many creature tutors.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
87y89a4uoc.png

Eternal Scourge / 3
Creature - Eldrazi Horror / Rare
You may cast Eternal Scourge from exile.
When Eternal Scourge becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, exile it.
3 / 3

Hello Food Chain ~

DrArchon

So we get another Misthollow Griffin effect. I was wondering if that would ever come back. I'm surprised it's not mythic like Misthollow was, just because that effect is so infrequent and weird.

G.ZZZ

The best part about Misthollow Griffin is that he's castable after you pitch him to force, imprint to mox, or use to misdirect a spell. Griffin is also already in the color of Manipulate Fate, which is a recall in Food Chain Griffin.dec

This is moderately interesting but i can't think of anything out of my mind right now that positively interact with him, aside from some complicated jank like ashnod altar + eye of ugin + rest in peace as some jank version of food chain.

I'm just gonna point out that back when they printed Reverberate they said 'this is too close to something on the reserve list' (fork) and wouldn't be doing again. But now we have literally just red donate. It's not even planar chaos anymore.

This isn't really significant. They don't do this very often because there aren't that many Reserved List cards where a color-shifted version is appropriate, interesting, and safe to print. (Pendrell Mists in white, maybe? Heat Stroke in black? I'm looking through the list and not seeing a ton of options.) It's safe even by the "spirit of the law" standard for the Reserved List, though, color really is a significant enough change not to be "reprinting."

Santiako

4r0GpFd.png

What a cool looking card that ties directly into Kaladesh (I'm guessing construct tribal is going to be a thing).

Could it be playable in Affinity?

CmMHChEWMAAWfKU.jpg

Seems sweet!

Hah, it's Festerhide Boar (FAKE EDIT: Or Nettle Swine) combined with Craterhoof Behemoth

You can always rely on Reddit to dredge up old, relevant Maro posts:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/76448447574/couldwould-you-reprint-donate

Also:

Oh, skulk is back too. Time to update the OP. Also, interesting that the last ability counts even if you discard a madness card and cast it.

87y89a4uoc.png

Eternal Scourge / 3
When Eternal Scourge becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, exile it.
3 / 3

Hello Food Chain ~

Guessing MaRo isn't a fan of this one. Also, I'm actually surprised to see a non-emerge non-Emrakul colorless Eldrazi.

As for the Sanitarium, I feel like having a consistent madness enabler like that is a good way to push madness decks, even if it probably isn't what a vampire deck wants.

EDIT: Lupine Prototype is hilarious.

This isn't really significant. They don't do this very often because there aren't that many Reserved List cards where a color-shifted version is appropriate, interesting, and safe to print. (Pendrell Mists in white, maybe? Heat Stroke in black? I'm looking through the list and not seeing a ton of options.) It's safe even by the "spirit of the law" standard for the Reserved List, though, color really is a significant enough change not to be "reprinting."

Also Donate says "Player" and this says "Opponent." So it's not even the same case.

people on blogatog asking to eliminate expansion symbols smdh

4r0GpFd.png

What a cool looking card that ties directly into Kaladesh (I'm guessing construct tribal is going to be a thing).

Oh my god this is hilarious.

Oh, skulk is back too. Time to update the OP.

Yeah, I assumed we wouldn't see any because Tabak didn't mention it in the mechanics article.

Also Donate says "Player" and this says "Opponent." So it's not even the same case.

In fairness, if it was blue this would probably fall in the Reverberate Zone, but yes, it's not even an exact colorshift reprint.

87y89a4uoc.png

Eternal Scourge / 3
3 / 3

Hello Food Chain ~

I'm not really sure what to say about this. It's a dull card without specific cards to synergize or combo with the ability such as Food Chain. I mean, it's cheaper than Misthollow Griffin so I guess there's that? Also, I suppose it's a pain to deal with using spot removal?

87y89a4uoc.png

Eternal Scourge / 3
3 / 3

Hello Food Chain ~

Interesting card. Could be played in RDW, since flipping it off Abbott means you can still cast it later on. It also only blinks out when it's an opponent's spell, so you can still Titan's Strength it. Worth a test at least.

Toxi

Banned
4r0GpFd.png

Could it be playable in Affinity?
Innistrad is one of my favorite settings because, while it's themed around horror, it also has loads of hilarious weird shit and gallows humor.

VBxU5lv.png

Straight up murder yo

I was thinking it was about time for this card to be reprinted. After they made a big deal during its first printing about how this will be the go-to destruction card for reprints, they proceeded to never print it outside of one core set.

Neat.
Moving it from common to uncommon as well? Sure, why not.

Doom Blade was uncommon last time it was printed, so this isn't a surprise.

Angry Grimace

I was thinking it was about time for this card to be reprinted. After they made a big deal during its first printing about how this will be the go-to destruction card for reprints, they proceeded to never print it outside of one core set.

Doom Blade was uncommon last time it was printed, so this isn't a surprise.

That's because they printed strictly better Murder when it rotated lol

What's even the flavor on the wolf? You can't control it unless you're literally insane?

They brought Hellbent back and then didn't call it Hellbent. For whatever reason. There's a bunch of cards that care about being Hellbent.

I like the M13 murder better.

101.jpg

Santiako

Whispers of Emrakul 1B (uncommon)
Target opponent discards a card at random.
Delirium-If there are four or more card types among cards in your graveyard that opponent discards two cards at random instead.
"Your thoughts are no longer your own."

WHY WOULD YOU BRING BACK HYMN (half)

Tutors in commander are an interesting thing. On the one hand they can be super annoying (Both in what they do and the shuffling) and ruin the experience but on the other they also can let some fun decks (rather than the "I put together the two pieces to my infinite combo") work and actually can expand the number of decks you can play. I think it's really more something to be decided on with house rules or just general agreement of the kind of decks people want to play.

Whispers of Emrakul 1B (uncommon)
Target opponent discards a card at random.
Delirium-If there are four or more card types among cards in your graveyard that opponent discards two cards at random instead.
"Your thoughts are no longer your own."

WHY WOULD YOU BRING BACK HYMN (half)

Since it isn't on Mythic Spoiler or MTG Salvation, can you provide a source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom