• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

The use of 'either' rather than 'each' on the plus ability makes me think you only draw one card regardless of whether one or both does combat damage. Curious what her Gatherer page will say. The way everyone is interpreting it makes that plus bonkers with certain keywords.

El Topo

The use of 'either' rather than 'each' on the plus ability makes me think you only draw one card regardless of whether one or both does combat damage. Curious what her Gatherer page will say. The way everyone is interpreting it makes that plus bonkers with certain keywords.

You don't draw two cards if they deal damage simultaneously. At least that is how I would see things, now that you mentioned it, because I admit I totally did not notice that initially.

Multicolor can also be used to boost effects that are shared by the colors. I don't know why you guys get so angry every time this happens. Anyway, Tamiyo looks pretty neat. I like how versatile her first ability is. You can use it while attacking, blocking, or to discourage from attacking.

Collective Brutality is definitely a card that, if it sees play, will be very skill-testing. Also, I'm surprised that this team up cycle isn't very tight as a cycle, since it has a different card type and escalate cost than the white one.

It's hard to evaluate Distended Mindbender. You could potentially play it turn 4, but is it good there? I don't know.

I like how the new Prey Upon depicts a werewolf being preyed upon by a mutated werewolf, when the original had a werewolf attacking a hunter.

Peace of Mind has interesting art, with that woman sitting on an Eldrazi rocking chair.

EDIT: I don't think the wording of "whenever either of those creatures deals combat damage, draw a card" means the effect only allows you to draw one card that turn.

The use of 'either' rather than 'each' on the plus ability makes me think you only draw one card regardless of whether one or both does combat damage.

The word either has only ever been used on three cards outside reminder text, so it's definitely a new template. I think the purpose is actually to distinguish that each creature is treated separately, i.e. that it expands out to "whenever a deals combat damage, draw a card; whenever b deals combat damage, draw a card." The mechanic would be absolutely bizarre the other way.

Multicolor can also be used to boost effects that are shared by the colors.

Yup, like I said, she'd be 3UU as a blue card.

Collective Brutality is definitely a card that, if it sees play, will be very skill-testing. Also, I'm surprised that this team up cycle isn't very tight as a cycle, since it has a different card type and escalate cost than the white one.

Stoddard actually mentioned that they originally wanted this to be really tightly defined and symmetrical and then they figured it was better to just do whatever good cards they could in the three colors where it appears.

That's a good catch, and something I missed. Will quell hype until there's clarification. I think Double Strike will still net you two cards though.

Stoddard actually mentioned that they originally wanted this to be really tightly defined and symmetrical and then they figured it was better to just do whatever good cards they could in the three colors where it appears.

His quote regarding that:
The original version of the mechanic was going to be only in white and black, and showcased the two sides teaming up. So the white cards all had "black" additional costs (like paying life), and the black cards had "white" additional costs (like tapping your own creatures). It was an interesting idea, but it made it almost impossible to make enough cards. We were also interested in moving escalate into red, and there were no really good ways to do that with the current paradigm. While many of the creative elements of the cards remained, the cards themselves moved to generally finding the additional costs they wanted, rather than branching out too far.

He was referring to how white escalate cards had "black" costs while black escalate cards had "white" costs, not them all having the same costs.

Also, it's a shame if escalate really is just in those three colors, especially with the flavor cycle they're hinting at.

EDIT:
So who's the equivalent of Ivan Ooze? Just want to know who I'll main when Magic: The Gathering: The Movie: The Game shows up :p
210.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yes, sorry, that was what I meant. Ability one can go in mono-blue or mono-green. Ability two can go in mono-blue or mono-white. She's Bant because this exact card costs 5 mana if it's mono-blue.

Eh, white has gotten it (at much, much lower volume than blue) for a long time. Ajani Vengeant basically gets this out of white, for example.

Shoulda reprinted Ajani Vengeant :( I keep hoping.

Adaren

Tamiyo's minus abilities have an ironic amount of synergy with Nahiri (if it weren't for the color limitations of course).

I love her +1, and the threat of her -7 is huge. I like her, though it remains to be seen whether she's worth running the colors for.

That's a good catch, and something I missed. Will quell hype until there's clarification. I think Double Strike will still net you two cards though.

You'd also get two cards if one of your creatures had First Strike and the other didn't, right?

Though, honestly, I can imagine it being that you're supposed to get two cards if both creatures deal damage, anyway. This is already conditional card draw when most recent planeswalkers have had unconditional draw or even draw with benefits. If it resolves to, "You can maybe draw a card, but not always, and in fringe cases draw two" that's pretty disappointing compared to... basically every other recent planeswalker with card draw.

New Tamiyo is fantastic. The chief reason she won't see play is the color restrictions in casting her. I'll definitely replace one ojutai's command and one dromoka's command with her in Bant company for a bit to test. Her plus and minus are the best fit for that deck in any planeswalker we've seen. The deck just has nothing broken to do with her -7, which is unfortunate.

Jhriad

Yeah, I do think that Double Strike will net you an additional card and, as has been mentioned if one creature has First Strike and one doesn't you would get the additional card as well. Really curious as to how it'll shake out.

Is it wrong that I find the fact the if you combine the emblems from both Tamiyos then you build your own infinite combo with (almost) any instant or sorcery or sac outlet to be pretty amusing? I wonder if that was intended from the start or if they only thought up doing it later

Edit: Also, even if Tamiyo's +1 only causes one draw each time combat damage is evaluated then it will absolutely trigger once for the First Strike damage step and again for the normal one. This is long running functionality of how First Strike interacts with combat damage triggers.

Her ult is definitely the weakest part of the card. It doesn't win you the game and the kind of decks that want Tamiyo won't gain that much from the effect. They had to tack on "Draw 3 cards" just to have it not be worse than her +1 when you're ahead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why is Derevi a real card anyways

what kind of overengineered commander horseshit is that

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It can't be that you only draw one card if they both deal damage. That would be incredibly counterintuitive, every player would get it wrong

Oh sure, the ultimate isn't why you play her if you do. I'm just noting how her two ults interact in an interesting way. Obviously not something you build a serious deck around, but a fairly cute result regardless.

OnPoint

Tamiyo's ult is almost pure flavor. She desires to know everything, so that's what she works for. Every plus gets her one step closer to omniscience, which happens to be the name of a powerful card.

Because it was their first forray into commander, so much OP shit in it.

Derevi is from the second batch.

Oh sure, the ultimate isn't why you play her if you do. I'm just noting how her two ults interact in an interesting way. Obviously not something you build a serious deck around, but a fairly cute result regardless.

Yeah, even the previous Tamiyo's ultimate was really more about Johnny shenanigans with Omniscience that anything really practical. I don't really mind a planeswalker having an ultimate that's really only there for casual play as long as they're solid on their first two abilities, though it is nice to have the odd Nahiri drop now and then where the ultimate is actually playable.

Crocodile

Tamiyo seems underpowered for a 3 color card? I expect a bigger, more obvious splash for a 3 color card. She might, contextually, have more success than the latest version of Sarkhan though.

Joe Molotov

UNPOPULAR CONSPIRACY THEORY: EMN Lili is a color-shift white Liliana of the Veil (cuz she's a good guy, now). They're saving this for a huge megaton spoiler on the last day.

The +1 creates a triggered ability on up to two creatures until your next turn. Whenever they deal combat damage, each time they do, you get that trigger. So first strike, you get your card before regular damage; double strike, you get a card on each hit. It's solid and a great aggressive and defensive ability.

Interesting reason for Tamiyo being Bant
biospark88 asked: The new Tamiyo could easily be mono-blue. All of her abilities are in blue's pie. Is she Bant just to balance her?

She’s Bant so we can print her. In order to get a sixth planeswalker in the block, we had to make something more narrow to not cause developmental problems.

So the option was to print her at three colors or not print her. Once you look at what three colors she is, Bant (Blue/White/Green) was obvious. She’s not Black or Red. She’s orderly and a scientist that studies natural phenomenon (mostly moons and their effects).

Her card was designed to be something centered in Blue but that touched upon overlaps with White and Green.

This points at a couple of things:
* Tamiyo is not expected to be a significant player in Standard.
* Tamiyo's printing was not for development reasons, but because they really wanted her to have a card.

For what it's worth, Tamiyo's preview article treats her +1 as drawing you two cards if both creatures deal damage, but these preview articles have gotten things wrong in the past.

It definitely works this way, there shouldn't be any real question, it's just a weird new template that maybe isn't successful.

Why is Derevi a real card anyways

Because 2013 is the worst of the four batches of Commander decks and involves them trying to push hyper-effective Commanders in a way that people pretty soundly rejected.

Angry Grimace

UNPOPULAR CONSPIRACY THEORY: EMN Lili is a color-shift white Liliana of the Veil (cuz she's a good guy, now). They're saving this for a huge megaton spoiler on the last day.

I guarantee you Liliana is black.

If you're unlucky she'll cost 3BB just so they can point and laugh at Ob Nixilis.

* Tamiyo's printing was not for development reasons, but because they really wanted her to have a card.
All of that could have been avoided if she was the protag of the story.

Hatchet unburied

Because 2013 is the worst of the four batches of Commander decks and involves them trying to push hyper-effective Commanders in a way that people pretty soundly rejected.

it stand to argue whether derevi or animar is worse.

Crocodile

So that explains why she reads kind of meh. Meh.

A 1/3 isn't good either, dude. The only reason you would play them is if you were really hard up to make your Diregraf Colossus big.

I don't disagree though I think you can argue a 1/3 is better for the sort of deck that wants to play a card like this than a 2/1.

Angry Grimace

They could probably get away with printing Liliana of the Veil in standard right now. It wouldn't even make a difference in how ridiculous white and green is unless there's some kind of really ridiculously good Madness tech we haven't been shown yet.

I hope we get a legendary artifact for her iron-bound scroll hinted at in the Magic Story where they're attacked by Avacyn. Something like this:

Iron-Bound Scroll I - (5)
Legendary Artifact
(5), Tap, sacrifice Iron-Bound Scroll I: Destroy all permanents.
"With a heavy heart, Urza realized that to save his home, he would have to sacrifice Serra's..."
- Urza's Saga

On a side note, I'm still not convinced that Urza needed to destroy Serra's Realm, but Urza does a lot of unnecessary things.

Also chrod of calling is such a dumb card in edh, friend of mine has a relatively low power edh deck but the deck basically only does the same thing whenever he gets it.

Cord for EWitness, Cord for the flicker soulbound guy, Cord for Mystic snake, lock the game out. Being Boros I need more interaction than he has mana and or counters. Barely managed to squeeze out a win yesterday by flashing in avacyn and equipping her up for lethal commander damage.

Angry Grimace

I still think she'd be a great Madness enabler.

I mean, Defiant Necromancer has the same clause, but Madness has been engineered to specifically not be very good. The most interesting Planeswalkers are usually 3 or 4 mana, though. 5 mana walkers have been consistently boring and 6 mana ones are just finishers so it barely matters what they actually do.

OnPoint

I mean, Defiant Necromancer has the same clause, but Madness has been engineered to specifically not be very good. The most interesting Planeswalkers are usually 3 or 4 mana, though. 5 mana walkers have been consistently boring and 6 mana ones are just finishers so it barely matters what they actually do.

I mean specifically Lil of the Veil. If they print a new one she'll almost certainly have discard as an ability (likely her plus). It's just that Lili coming down on turn 3 would be good for Madness decks, in my opinion.

Angry Grimace

I mean specifically Lil of the Veil. If they print a new one she'll almost certainly have discard as an ability (likely her plus). It's just that Lili coming down on turn 3 would be good for Madness decks, in my opinion.

Liliana would see play, but I think this is one of the least broken points in Standard for a card like that. Like 60+% of the meta are go-wide decks and BS like Tireless Tracker means they just gas up constantly even when you actually have Languish ready or use the plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom