• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Gisela has the exact same problem that keeps auras from being competitive 90% of the time, you just set yourself up to get 2-1d

You can basically treat the merge cards like auras, with the benefit that neither is dead in your hand without the other

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah. I'm not surprised.

Hopefully I open a few bombs in other colors so I don't have to fight over g w b

Guess that leaves red blue which I do like.

Time will tell. I believe there might be a few brand new players which I'm totally cool with. Just saying it could really mess the signals and power level of the decks up.

This is not a set in which you can force an archetype and be successful; if you draft, say Olivia, Mobilized for War in pack one, don't force red/black unless you notice people are passing you Heir of Falkenrath/Ravenous Bloodseeker/Fiery Tempers.

Gisela has the exact same problem that keeps auras from being competitive 90% of the time, you just set yourself up to get 2-1d

Huh? There isn't any way to really deal with Brisela, if that's what you mean. You just lose to it unless you have an Emrakul to block.

Ashodin

Let's please not talk about that trainwreck.

(Also the first time Urza saw Phyrexia was in Planeswalker, where he tried to conquer it with a giant metal dragon and then Yawgmoth swatted him away)
He slapped that shit into mercadia

jewbanks asked: While I agree blue white and green all fit Tamiyo the character, though strongly centered in blue. What is white about her new card? I see the green in her ultimate.

The card is designed such that the first ability is an overlap between Blue and Green. The second ability is an overlap between Blue and White. And the third ability is MonoBlue.

The second ability drifted a little, but tapping creatures is a Blue/White overlap (with them not untapping more Blue).

*drops mic, makes wrestling "suck-it" gesture*

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Brisela is really, really difficult to deal with due to the CMC3 or less turnoff.

I mean, you can kill it with a) sac effects, b) Planar Outburst, c) blocking with Emrakul.

That's basically it, really. I mean, Quarantine Field can do it too, but nobody plays that.

Still dumb though. They just sealed her fate being constructed playable.

I think his point is that she wasn't intended to be constructed playable. It seems like they just wanted her to have a card that had theoretically pushed abilities, but a limited ability to see play.

Still dumb though. They just sealed her fate being constructed playable.

Like I posted before, they didn't want her to be constructed playable. It appears that development only wants to consider a certain number of planeswalker cards, and Tamiyo was allowed a card only on the condition that they wouldn't have to keep it in consideration when developing the rest of Standard.

EDIT: Also, like mentioned before, multicolor can be used to boost effects that could otherwise be done with just one color but at a higher cost. This isn't new, there's no reason to be upset about it.

Angry Grimace

how is tamiyo not constructed playable in a format that includes oath of nissa tho

Because you can't cast it unless you happen to have Oath of Nissa out or you're actually playing Bant.

The other problem is that she's just not that good anyways. You wouldn't play Tamiyo over Gideon in tokens (mana aside) and Bant Company doesn't want to tap out on its own turn to play a Planeswalker. If you're running a Company deck you basically can run 8 spells that aren't Company hits. 4 of those spells have to be Collected Company. Usually the other 4 are Dromoka's Command.

Yeef

What? U/B is like the worst combination in SOI.
I've won many drafts with UB Madness and Grixis Madness. It's incredibly strong, but unlike something like GW humans, it's a lot more dependent on getting the right uncommons. U/B Zombies, in my experience, is fairly weak unless you get the right rares.

Angry Grimace

What's a good Planeswalker for a spirit deck?

Standard? I don't think anything seems great for one in standard. Like, you could PLAY Jace or Gideon, but spirits seems like a deck that wants to keep mana open.

Maledict

I have to be honest, I don't understand the point of a non-constructed playable mythic planeswalker. I'm particularly confused by the fact they had to squeeze her in - she's been so central to this storyline, I can't see who apart from Liliana has greater priority in the set.

I mean, I get bad cards need to exist, and I get bad fares need to exist. But a planeswalker where they know full well she isn't constructed playable is just meh? I guess it's for kitchen table magic and flavor.

Neoweee

(plotwise) Disappointing that Brisela gets killed off so early. I really liked the idea of her being a reformation/successor to Ulamog.

I have to be honest, I don't understand the point of a non-constructed playable mythic planeswalker. I'm particularly confused by the fact they had to squeeze her in - she's been so central to this storyline, I can't see who apart from Liliana has greater priority in the set.

I mean, I get bad cards need to exist, and I get bad fares need to exist. But a planeswalker where they know full well she isn't constructed playable is just meh? I guess it's for kitchen table magic and flavor.
Not in this set but Jace

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(plotwise) Disappointing that Brisela gets killed off so early. I really liked the idea of her being a reformation/successor to Ulamog.

Waste of a potential story thread later down the line.

I'm sad that Tamiyo probably isnt good. Kamigawa stay losing =(

Angry Grimace

If you look at the list of Mythic Planeswalkers, very few of them were big constructed all stars.

* Jace, Nahiri, Sorin, and Liliana were considered important story characters from the start, I assume.
* Including a red/green werewolf planeswalker was considered high priority, so Arlinn was included.
* Tamiyo was probably meant to play a very minor role in the story, but it got expanded as they wrote it out. They had probably already developed Kaladesh+ planeswalkers taking the above five into consideration, so if they wanted Tamiyo to get a card, it couldn't be something that would drastically affect the Kaladesh planeswalkers.

As a result, Tamiyo was developed to be interesting but not particularly strong, a card that might be used a lot in Friday Night Magic but not in tournaments. So, this card is meant for casual play.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I feel Tamiyo is the real blue planeswalker. Jace seems more like a blue/red personality given how impulsive and headstrong he is.

I feel Tamiyo is the real blue planeswalker. Jace seems more like a blue/red personality given how impulsive and headstrong he is.
If it weren't for Jace being locked in MonoBlue, he'd probably be UW/UR, maybe Jeskai even. How the living embodiment of Law and Order to a plane isn't UW is wierd to me.

Since we're unlikely to get more spoilers today, I suppose I'll ask for feedback about the OP. I'd prefer feedback from people who aren't thread regulars, but I understand they'd be unlikely to see this and respond. In particular I'd like to know everyone's response to:
* Joke header image
* Comedy gifs at the start
* Jokes in the story and mechanics sections
* Getting started section
* Lengthy story section
* Character section
* Thread highlights
* The order of sections
* Generally how helpful it is

I have to be honest, I don't understand the point of a non-constructed playable mythic planeswalker.

I think everyone is misreading the statements on this. They didn't say the goal was to make her unplayable or non-constructed-viable, they said it was to make her narrow. A mono-blue PW goes in a ton of different possible deck configurations, a Bant one goes in very few. Making cards that are only good if a certain type of deck is good is what development does when they don't feel confident that something is balanced for a ton of scenarios but still think it's worth printing at a reasonable set of numbers -- if they just want to nuke the card into unplayability they just jack the mana cost way way up.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
According to the Innistrad artbook, Brisela is killed by Sigarda.

Ah. Makes sense in the 'setting her up to be the next guardian' kind of way, though I'm admittedly curious on how she'd be 'powerful' enough to do so, from both a narrative and 'game' perspective.

Ah. Makes sense in the 'setting her up to be the next guardian' kind of way, though I'm admittedly curious on how she'd be 'powerful' enough to do so, from both a narrative and 'game' perspective.

Brisela tries to meld with her, and she destroys her from the inside. They might make a story card for this, but I think it's unlikely.

So most of the plot beats are playing out as I'd expect, but what really confuses me is that neither the black/white angel sister, nor the fifth family of vampires, appears to have come up at all. Plot setup for when they get to Innistrad 3, I guess?

(I'm realizing that the obvious direction to take this plane next time is a WoD-influenced fantasy urban horror, which both of these would fit perfectly into.)

So most of the plot beats are playing out as I'd expect, but what really confuses me is that neither the black/white angel sister, nor the fifth family of vampires, appears to have come up at all. Plot setup for when they get to Innistrad 3, I guess?

(I'm realizing that the obvious direction to take this plane next time is a WoD-influenced fantasy urban horror, which both of these would fit perfectly into.)
Now that both Avacyn and Olivia Voldaren are dead, I expect the next Innistrad will involve power vacuums both among the light and dark sides. If it doesn't involve some other threat attacking.

Also, for some reason, I imagine that Nicol Bolas will cart off the entire moon instead of releasing Emrakul.

Examples?
I imagine he's referring to things like Jace going against Ugin's request not to kill the Eldrazi, but I don't believe that counts as being impulsive. It was more that Jace didn't think Ugin actually understood the situation, or rather Jace realized that Ugin didn't actually care what happened to the Zendikari.

Ashodin

Now that both Avacyn and Olivia Voldaren are dead, I expect the next Innistrad will involve power vacuums both among the light and dark sides. If it doesn't involve some other threat attacking.

Also, for some reason, I imagine that Nicol Bolas will cart off the entire moon instead of releasing Emrakul.

I like the idea that next time we visit, whole cultures could start up about worshiping the "rock that radiates light and shadow" + the whole trend of allowing Geists of Cathars to possess you to protect you from the dark.

Like, Thalia and others get a stand from Jojo. shit is awesome.

Oh I'd love this. Maybe Innistrad a century of development later?

With not just the consistent planeswalker cast, but also the fact that they now bring back legendary creatures on plane returns, there aren't going to be big timeskips like that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom