• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I like the idea that next time we visit, whole cultures could start up about worshiping the "rock that radiates light and shadow" + the whole trend of allowing Geists of Cathars to possess you to protect you from the dark.

Like, Thalia and others get a stand from Jojo. shit is awesome.

That sounds too awesome to actually happen.

Ashodin

That sounds too awesome to actually happen.

It's happening now breh

The Lunarch Inquisition said:
"Welcome to the Order of Saint Traft," Thalia said, gesturing to the chapel around her as if it were a grand palace.

"Saint Traft?" Grete said. "You lay claim to a noble pedigree by invoking his name. Demon Slayer, Beloved of Angels, Martyr of the Needle's Eye—you could hardly have chosen a more worthy patron."

"I did not choose him," Thalia said with a smile. "He chose me."

A luminous mist coalesced in the air behind Thalia, turning her hair to liquid gold, and her face seemed to shine with a light of its own. A moment later there were two faces; they pulled farther apart, and a man stood beside her, radiant but insubstantial, a holy geist. Saint Traft himself.

Like her hair goes super saiyan and everything

So something was pointed out to me while listening to loadingreadyrun's tap tap concede podcast: EMN's set symbol is:

emrakulthepromisedend.jpg
+
cemeteryrecruitment.jpg
Liliana's hat thing

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";208933363]So Jace goes back to Zendikar and doesn't tell Ugin about Emrakul or Sorin?[/QUOTE]

Why would he even vaguely consider helping Ugin when Ugin told him to go fuck himself the last time he saw him

Santiako

I think Tamiyo fueled Bant humans is going to be insanely good. She doesn't gel too well with CoCo, so it will probably be after origins rotates that she'll shine.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Boy, WOTC sure has been fucking up Standard a lot recently. It got really bad right around when BFZ came in, coincidentally, around the time they started tinkering around with bullshit like "no lightning strike in standard!" and "no more mana dorks!" You're either playing GW Tokens or Bant Company or you're probably just losing.

y2dvd

My buddy and I did SOI sealed and got to the final round last night. We both had a pretty absurd pool. He had Nahiri, Always Watching, and Deck in Stone. I had this sweet GW Cluestone deck with Graf Mole, Briarbridge Patrol, Tireless Tracker, Bygone Bishop, and Ulvenwald Mysteries. I was producing way more cluestones than I could have ever cracked lol.

61/205 cards so far with probably somewhere around 1/2 the mythics spoiled so far. I dont know what the numbers are for the set but you can do the math if you want to look it up somewhere.

Did you count double sided? 205 is with them counted separately iirc. There hasn't even been a card spoiled yet that makes you want to go and built an entire deck around with it as commander, even the werewolf legend is disappointing,

Crocodile

Cards I'd like to see reprinted in EDM: Vampire Hounds and Skyshroud Vampire (this one would have to be functional since Skyshroud is a place on Dominaria).

Boy, WOTC sure has been fucking up Standard a lot recently. It got really bad right around when BFZ came in, coincidentally, around the time they started tinkering around with bullshit like "no lightning strike in standard!" and "no more mana dorks!" You're either playing GW Tokens or Bant Company or you're probably just losing.

i mean definitely what would make bant coco be a worse deck is if it had access to elvish mystic

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";208968436]He made reasonable picks, but watching LSV draft a black deck and pass entomb, animate dead and Inkwell Leviathan hurt my soul.[/QUOTE]

That's all in hindsight. I think he made the appropriate picks at the time. Funny thing is if he rare drafted, it probably would've lead him to the reanimator deck naturally lol.

42f6fdc0d024c7a971f8625da709778e.png

This further confirms my twin claims that a) there's no sense in which Emrakul "ruined" or "wasted" the return to Innistrad, literally the entire reason they returned was to do Innistrad-as-cosmic-horror-world, and b) it would have been so, so, so much better if they'd done SOI first and followed it with BFZ.

Angry Grimace

i mean definitely what would make bant coco be a worse deck is if it had access to elvish mystic

I mean, if it played it, it might worse.

42f6fdc0d024c7a971f8625da709778e.png

This further confirms my twin claims that a) there's no sense in which Emrakul "ruined" or "wasted" the return to Innistrad, literally the entire reason they returned was to do Innistrad-as-cosmic-horror-world, and b) it would have been so, so, so much better if they'd done SOI first and followed it with BFZ.

It doesn't confirm anything >< Its perfectly possible for them to ruin and/or waste the return to Innistrad even if the reason that supposedly ruined it was the reason they went there.

Angry Grimace

It's pretty hard to get the delirium deck together so I was a little apprehensive taking the Soul Swallower, but seems pretty decent so far. And no, I didn't mean to put Equestrian Skill in the deck, but its too late to change it. But yeah, I did once put it on the Autumnal Gloom which is sweet. Also, Skinner + Gloom is pretty sweet too.

Ifs3MPp.png

It doesn't confirm anything >< Its perfectly possible for them to ruin and/or waste the return to Innistrad even if the reason that supposedly ruined it was the reason they went there.

Well I mean there's a lot of goofy "man why didn't they have a different ending here" and the whole point of the entire thing is the ending they had. A lot of people still seem to think that they took a pre-existing return-to-Innistrad plan and bolted Emrakul onto it because she got kicked out of BFZ block, which isn't accurate at all. There's no aspect of SOI that isn't specifically informed by this plan, so it's not like they had this great concept for the first set and then screwed it up; the initial concept was exactly what they did.

(All that's separate from "well I just think the set and/or block is bad," which is justifiable on its own merits.)

Angry Grimace

Set and block seems fine to me. Limited play is pretty locked down, the only real issue I have is some questionable decisions by Development that go back to ~Khans of Tarkir. It feels like they've been missing a lot of stuff in constructed play that really detracts from the game.

Ashodin

A big deal being made about Lion's Eye Diamonds being bought up specifically by one guy who is trying to make bank on it.

Apparently Legacy players think the format will just die off if there's no availability of the cards.

Which you know, being a format entirely about extremely expensive, non-reprint (lol reserve list) cards, is entirely valid.

And exactly how the format would die, IMO.

(I don't particularly care about Legacy - a format that is entirely based around degenerate combos and OP cards)

I don't think this, but if anything was gonna convince me the RoboRosewater people make some of these up themselves this would do it:

CmYXtMmUMAQURR2.jpg

i mean it's literally a white knight with protection from black

Set and block seems fine to me. Limited play is pretty locked down, the only real issue I have is some questionable decisions by Development that go back to ~Khans of Tarkir. It feels like they've been missing a lot of stuff in constructed play that really detracts from the game.

See, my feeling has been that most of their overall philosophical decisions have actually been pretty good, it's usually specific types of errors that unbalance environments and lead to problems.

Like, no 4 mana unconditional wraths seems like a big win to me; it opened up more creature deck options and avoided the kind of "turn 4 wrath i win, otherwise i lose" coinflip matchups we've had in some past standards. Similarly, no Lightning Strike means no toughness threshold which means there isn't this huge dropoff in playability of 3 vs. 4 toughness creatures. And certainly given how good green is right now I don't think it having even better acceleration would be good. This stuff is smart and I think beneficial to environments overall.

The problem areas tend to be much more on the individual card/cycle level I think. The tangolands were a complete misfire because they clearly didn't seriously test how they enabled four color decks. CoCo is a single overpowered card that unfortunately amplifies the relevance of any overpowered creature with 3 CMC and those things collectively add up to a problematic format presence.

What else are you thinking of that's kind of a failure of vision? I could definitely be misreading the environment. In part for me it's really just that the last three years has actually had better standard formats than a lot of previous periods -- we briefly had a pretty good window in THS/KTK standard, some really cool stuff enabled by Origins, and even the previous Theros season wasn't the absolute worst. I think of the median Standard as being, like, Caw-Blade, or Odyssey-era UG Madness vs MBC, so.

I remember when Legacy GP/SCGO attendance was steadily climbing and people were poohpoohing the idea that it was a "dying" format like Vintage (at the time) because "obviously it's so popular, how could card availability possibly be a problem?!?!"

Cut to 2016 where Vintage is actually a more vital format given that at least people enjoy watching it on stream....

I See, my feeling has been that most of their overall philosophical decisions have actually been pretty good, it's usually specific types of errors that unbalance environments and lead to problems.

Like, no 4 mana unconditional wraths seems like a big win to me; it opened up more creature deck options and avoided the kind of "turn 4 wrath i win, otherwise i lose" coinflip matchups we've had in some past standards. Similarly, no Lightning Strike means no toughness threshold which means there isn't this huge dropoff in playability of 3 vs. 4 toughness creatures. And certainly given how good green is right now I don't think it having even better acceleration would be good. This stuff is smart and I think beneficial to environments overall.

But both of that is still true right now. The toughness threshold just moved from 3 4 to 2 3 and languish and humans are a thing.

Angry Grimace

A big deal being made about Lion's Eye Diamonds being bought up specifically by one guy who is trying to make bank on it.

Apparently Legacy players think the format will just die off if there's no availability of the cards.

Which you know, being a format entirely about extremely expensive, non-reprint (lol reserve list) cards, is entirely valid.

(I don't particularly care about Legacy - a format that is entirely based around degenerate combos and OP cards)

I mean, Legacy and Vintage will continue on as online since that's the only way they reasonably exist to begin with.

But both of that is still true right now. The toughness threshold just moved from 3 4 to 2 3 and languish and humans are a thing.

2 -> 3 is never a problem to the same degree 3 -> 4 is because a 2-toughness creature is already a weenie and so dying to removal isn't a big deal. 4 -> 5 is the worst, you just get huge swathes of unplayable cards that way.

Angry Grimace

Gideon was one of the face characters in Gatecrash but I don't remember him doing anything at all there.

Ashodin

I liked planes as the story rather than planeswalkers.

Granted, it's hard to market just a plane beyond the initial reveal.

However, I was talking with my wife last night, and they have some real issues with the current whitebread cast.

• Gideon: Middle-eastern/Greek?
  • Chandra: White
  • Liliana: White
  • Jace: White
  • Nissa: Elf / Sometimes depicted with black features (Nissa, Worldwaker)
  • Ajani: Cat dude
  • Tibalt: Demon / Unclear what race they based him off of
  • Elspeth: White
  • Venser: White
  • Karn: Iron Man
  • Bolas: Dragon
  • Ugin: Dragon
  • Ashiok: Gender-neutral shadow thing?
  • Dack Fayden: Italian
  • Saheeli Rai: Indian
  • Kiora: Lol Merfolk with legs / Sometimes Asian depiction
  • Tamiyo: Asian (Japanese)
  • Narset: Asian (Chinese)
  • Sarkhan: Mongolian
  • Tezzeret: White
  • Teferi: Black
  • Jaya: White
  • Glissa: Elf
  • Slobad: Goblin
  • Daretti: Goblin
  • Nahiri: White (Kor)
  • Ob Nixilis: Demon (White)
  • Garruk: White
  • Freyalise: Elf
  • Urza: White
  • Jeska: White

They're working on it and I'm sure there's more (these are all off the top of my head), but damn if there isn't enough representation.

I want more strange planeswalkers. Like in the DC Universe, there's a whole planet that's a green lantern:

Something weird like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom