• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i literally REFUSE to believe that the shuffling and draw in the SP stuff in origins isn't rigged. refuse to believe it. there's just no way that it consistently randomly gives you terrible hands and terrible draws. i was just winning a game from a bad 6 hander so the game just mana flooded me for seven turns, gave my opponent a bunch of fatties and now i've lost. and this is a relatively common experience.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i'm yodelling....in the OOTG story game where you play against kozilek and ulamog, they have an emblem in play at the beginning of the game that basically turns them into hearthstone players (instead of drawing a card they automatically put a waste into play and draw a nonland card off their library). they're referred to as 'the greatest threat in the multiverse' sdfkgljdhldjhdtfjtrj

[edit] it turns out it's quite easy to beat an opponent playing by hearthstone rules when you get a free jace beleren, nissa voice of zendikar, gideon ally of zendikar, and chandra, flamecaller on each of your turns

Bandini

I'll give Liliana a bit of credit, my wife just murdered me with her in sealed practice. Definitely very good in limited. I fought as long as I could, just to see all the zombies from the emblem, and was not disappointed.

So far my best deck has been UB Emerge. Emerge rares and uncommons are surprisingly powerful, and often can be fired off turn 4.

Lands <3 <3 <3

EDIT:
These are my current wants:

x2 Life from the Loam
x4 Exploration
x3 Gamble (Urza)
x1 Manabond
x1 Riftstone Portal
x4 Krosan Grip
x2 Maze of Ith
x1 Vindicate (Eternal Masters)

Do any of you happen to have these and want to work something out?

Firemind

why eternal masters

D1A1JVs.png

this is why i play vintage cube

Random thought, I mentioned before that Kaladesh could have cycling due to links with delirium and a recent mention in a Latest Developments article about how they're interesting in bringing cycling lands to Modern, but there's one way they could link it up with SOI past delirium. There have been cards that trigger when you cycle a card, but if there are cards that listen for you discarding a card, that can trigger for both cycling and SOI's discard outlets.

Inspired Inventor - 2R
Creature - Human Wizard
Whenever you discard a card, add R to your mana pool.
Cycling (2)
"Every discarded idea makes the final project easier to make."
2/2

Yep, I just think soi sucks in sealed. A lot.

I have hope for EMN sealed tho.

I just don't really have another way of practicing.

SOI sealed is really dull, EMN in the preprerelease looked mediocre as well

Random thought, I mentioned before that Kaladesh could have cycling due to links with delirium and a recent mention in a Latest Developments article about how they're interesting in bringing cycling lands to Modern, but there's one way they could link it up with SOI past delirium. There have been cards that trigger when you cycle a card, but if there are cards that listen for you discarding a card, that can trigger for both cycling and SOI's discard outlets.

Inspired Inventor - 2R
Creature - Human Wizard
Whenever you discard a card, add R to your mana pool.
Cycling (2)
"Every discarded idea makes the final project easier to make."
2/2

Loam Assault loop in modern would be goat.

uroborus-void asked: "The idea of returning to worlds wasn’t something we were as conscious of back in the Day." Maro, the Clans of Tarkir were erased from time Literally two blocks ago. When exctly was this back in the Day?

Of the three mentioned, Tarkir was the only one where we planned out what we would do in a return.

Hmmmm.

Ashodin

I think the timeline merge idea would be awesome - Narset finds ancient magic that allows Tarkir to "mend its broken past" and brings Tarkir's full power clans vs. full power dragons. Shit would be balls to the wall cray

The plane fighting itself timeline wise would draw Bolas to the plane because of the energies released, and Ugin shows up for Round 2 motherfucker

This time Sarkhan is there to finally help Ugin slay Bolas and end scene.

Haines

Banned
SOI sealed is really dull, EMN in the preprerelease looked mediocre as well

I thought it looked good. It feels like these cards stand a lil more on there own than SOI.

A lot of bad cards were played (partly for science I'm sure), and a lot of misplays. Let alone not knowing what there hands looked like, so I wouldn't take it to seriously.

I thing emerge will shine in sealed.

Ojutai would live through a clan realignment. The others... probably not.

I mean if we did go for these realigned wedges, what do you get?

Abzan: black center with white/green, it'd be a regimented necromantic religious order, with mechanics about sacrifice and token-generation and +1/+1 counters. Dromoka specifically hates necromancy so that's not gonna be a great fit.

Jeskai: red center with blue/white, you're probably looking at, like, nomadic monks who are performers and sages, with controllish mechanics tied into pumped evasive creatures, so yeah, Ojutai would still fit pretty well here.

Mardu: white center with black/red, you'd have something like a tightly regimented standing army with brutal training and a zealous salt-the-earth approach to conflict, maybe leaning more on the eye-for-an-eye mechanics and inexorable advantage. Kolaghan doesn't fit with this in the least.

Sultai: green center with blue/black, you'd have a cunning and vicious wilderness bandits, basically, more aggro-disruption. Silumgar with his ostentatious khan jewelry isn't really a fit.

Temur: blue center with red/green, I guess you'd have... okay honestly this one is stumping me.

Timeline merge isn't an interesting story tho. You just end up with the Fringe S4 problem all over again.

Yeah, DTK already gets close to this -- the block sets up a set of events that the "viewer" gets invested in and then makes them never have happened -- but switching to a merged world where we don't even know the exact history would be completely incomprehensible.

Kinda wish we had gotten wedge colored Elder Dragons like the old Legends-cycle but with modern design sensibilities.

I want a shard cycle of Elder Dragons like this tbh.

Yeef

One thing to keep in mind when talking about return blocks is that R&D tries to make the new blocks play well with the old. That means it's unlikely we'll see any major shake-ups in terms of mechanics; especially in heavily-delineated blocks like Khans and Ravnica.

The three major mechanics of the block were Wedge (for Khans), Dragons (for Dragons) and Morph (for the entire block); so any return will likely play in a similar space.

My guess is, when we go back to Tarkir, the history of clans starts to become more publicly known. Some of the clans reform such that humanoid creatures and dragons share responsibility for the clan (this makes sense for the white-based clans; especially Dromoka/Abzan), some of the clans have the Dragons asserting their dominance (likely Atarka and Kolaghan) and while some have an internal power struggle over who ultimately rules the clan (Silumgar/Dromoka and maybe Atarka/Temur).

It works as a way to please both the players who love dragons and the players who would prefer to see humanoid-run clans again.

The real issue is figuring out the Gatewatch angle, since they have to be involved in everything now. Maybe Ugin asks them for help with something on Tarkir.

OnPoint

*potentially cool sounding stuff, then...*

The real issue is figuring out the Gatewatch angle, since they have to be involved in everything now. Maybe Ugin asks them for help with something on Tarkir.

I would hate if Ugin showed up to beg the Gatewatch for help.

Toxi

Banned
One thing to keep in mind when talking about return blocks is that R&D tries to make the new blocks play well with the old. That means it's unlikely we'll see any major shake-ups in terms of mechanics; especially in heavily-delineated blocks like Khans and Ravnica.

The three major mechanics of the block were Wedge (for Khans), Dragons (for Dragons) and Morph (for the entire block); so any return will likely play in a similar space.

My guess is, when we go back to Tarkir, the history of clans starts to become more publicly known. Some of the clans reform such that humanoid creatures and dragons share responsibility for the clan (this makes sense for the white-based clans; especially Dromoka/Abzan), some of the clans have the Dragons asserting their dominance (likely Atarka and Kolaghan) and while some have an internal power struggle over who ultimately rules the clan (Silumgar/Dromoka and maybe Atarka/Temur).

It works as a way to please both the players who love dragons and the players who would prefer to see humanoid-run clans again.

I don't really mind the idea of the clans being ruled by dragons. The problem is that the dragon-controlled clans were changed to be less interesting.

For example, compare Abzan pre-Dromoka (An unusual morally ambiguous faction that simultaneously embraces community and self-preservation, combining Black's necromancy with White's spirituality and Green's nature) and the Abzan post-Dromoka (Selesnya-lite). It's especially galling because they had the interesting elements stomped out in-story. The Krumar? Dromoka got rid of that. The Kin-Trees? Dromoka got rid of those. The necromancy? Dromoka got rid of that. Ancestor worship? Fuck, Dromoka killed Anafenza for that. Abzan post-Dromoka is barely even recognizable as the same faction, and the worst part is that WotC called that an improvement.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't really mind the idea of the clans being ruled by dragons. The problem is that the dragon-controlled clans were changed to be less interesting.

For example, compare Abzan pre-Dromoka (An unusual morally ambiguous faction that simultaneously embraces community and self-preservation, combining Black's necromancy with White's spirituality and Green's nature) and the Abzan post-Dromoka (Selesnya-lite). It's especially galling because they had the interesting elements stomped out in-story. The Krumar? Dromoka got rid of that. The Kin-Trees? Dromoka got rid of those. The necromancy? Dromoka got rid of that. Ancestor worship? Fuck, Dromoka killed Anafenza for that. Abzan post-Dromoka is barely even recognizable as the same faction, and the worst part is that WotC called that an improvement.

Yeah thats pretty shit. Sorry one dumbfuck dragon doesnt make up for all the other flavor that gets stomped out.

Dromoka is not Selesyna Light by any stretch. Selesyna is the conjuction of GW taken to the extreme, Dromoka is base white with Green as a splash(As evidenced by Dagahatar's card).

However, Abzan is more interesting then Dromoka because of the KtKs worldbuilding Vs DTK. Dragons was basically "Look at all the change!" Without actually showing us what replaced it. Instead of having anything to replace the Ancestor worship/Krumar it's just left empty. I mean, if Dromoka literally fires lasers, what's to say that there isn't some"Forged in Fire" test. Instead of the Abzan taking in Krumar Children, have Dromoka's brood "purify" those who wish to join. If they survive the blast, congrats, you're now Dromoka's solders. If not, they always needed food. If Dromoka was entirely against Spirits/Necromancy, why weren't there any cards that had that effect.

Like, these as quick off of my head ideas for cards to show what Dromoka is:

Purifying Light WG
Instant
~ Deals 3 damage to target attacking or blocking creature. If that creature survives, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

"Dromoka's Brood believes in purity above all. Those that prove their purity are rewarded"

Vanquish the Blighted 1GW
Sorcery
Destroy target tapped creature. If that creature is a Zombie or a Spirit, instead exile it

"The light of Dromoka shall vanquish all blight and restore Tarkir to glory"-Dromokan Rallying cry

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
T1: Insolent Neonate
T2: Skin Invasion + Otherworldly Outburst
T3: Lupine Prototype

Yeah, either two skin invasions or two Outburst or one of each and one Insolent and you've got insane board state turn 2. I can't believe what's his name on the pre-prereleased called this card unplayable. People be crazy.

So i've been playing for coming up to a month now and really getting into it. I'm thinking about registering for the Eldritch Moon pre-release event in my city. Are these things generally newbie friendly? Any tips or useful information about them i should familiarize with?

Preordered the one card I really want for commander (Sigarda's aid) and I think I'm already done. This will be the first prerelease I'm skipping since I started playing magic. I have a busy weekend and I just dislike this set enough that I'm not going to make the effort to find the time.

Hopefully Kaladesh is better

So i've been playing for coming up to a month now and really getting into it. I'm thinking about registering for the Eldritch Moon pre-release event in my city. Are these things generally newbie friendly? Any tips or useful information about them i should familiarize with?
prereleases are generally super chill, even to the point of players helping their opponents. Every once in a while you will find a twat that takes it too seriously, but they are few.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Preordered the one card I really want for commander (Sigarda's aid) and I think I'm already done. This will be the first prerelease I'm skipping since I started playing magic. I have a busy weekend and I just dislike this set enough that I'm not going to make the effort to find the time.

Hopefully Kaladesh is better

Deep fried eldrazi and crab isnt doing it for you?

Santiako

They are the most newbie friendly events you can attend. The atmosphere is usually really relaxed and people are mostly there to enjoy the new cards.

I thought it looked good. It feels like these cards stand a lil more on there own than SOI.

A lot of bad cards were played (partly for science I'm sure), and a lot of misplays. Let alone not knowing what there hands looked like, so I wouldn't take it to seriously.

I thing emerge will shine in sealed.

of course it will, there are enough on die triggers to make the cost of emerge much less fhan it is and a 5/7 flash hexproof the turn it enters will usually be a blowout.

Say you only have the 1/2 3CMC on die get a 3/2 token. Your opponent has to play around you having a 3/2 and a 5/7 to not get blown out.if you're playing blue

Haines

Banned
of course it will, there are enough on die triggers to make the cost of emerge much less fhan it is and a 5/7 flash hexproof the turn it enters will usually be a blowout.

Say you only have the 1/2 3CMC on die get a 3/2 token. Your opponent has to play around you having a 3/2 and a 5/7 to not get blown out.if you're playing blue

Yeah and than have fun trying to kill a 5/7 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom