• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

Kaladesh's art book description:

"Optimism, innovation, and the spirit of creativity fill these pages, lavishly illustrated with the award-winning art of Magic: The Gathering™! Welcome to Kaladesh—a vibrant, beautiful plane where anything is possible.

Oh, intriguing. Tell me more!

Join the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch

And suddenly I'm less interested.

Nice I'm liking Reid's perspective of limited. He is very cutthroat

He's one of my favourite players. I don't even love the sort of decks he plays (constructed), but I like him playing them (thought process in general).

I popped in to the Pro Tour when it was here in Van and saw him play a match- was fun :)

Kaladesh's art book description:

"Optimism, innovation, and the spirit of creativity fill these pages, lavishly illustrated with the award-winning art of Magic: The Gathering™! Welcome to Kaladesh—a vibrant, beautiful plane where anything is possible. Join the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they explore the Inventors’ Fair, and let your imagination soar alongside thopters and airships crafted by the best artificers in the Multiverse.

Come discover the marvels of Kaladesh—its inhabitants, its inventors, and its artifacts. They all await you at the grand Inventors’ Fair!"

It seems all the Gatewatch goes to Kaladesh to look at inventions? I could really use a more light-hearted block after the grittiness and forced epicness of the last two blocks.

That description has been available for a while.

I've seen theories that they're going to Kaladesh to help Liliana with her Chain Veil. Probably someone asking if anyone knows about a good artifact plane that isn't Phyrexia, and Chandra suggesting her home plane.

It would be nice to have a lighter block story, but we know the second set is called Aether Revolt and that there is a rebellion on Kaladesh. Still, I expect that will be a purely internal conflict (minus manipulation from enemy planeswalkers) and not something that turns everyone into monsters.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Basically, they're all going on a big group date to the fair.

I can't wait for the Uncharted Realms where Liliana, Chandra and Nissa go shopping together to buy yukatas.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Would read a story about the PWs just going around Kaladesh having fun and taking magical selfies.

Teasing Return to Kamigawa.

Tamiyo's continued prominence signals to me that they haven't forgotten about Kamigawa. I think they're going back there eventually, to expand her character if for no other reason.

By the way, I just realized that we never found out what happened to Tibalt. Why wasn't he on Innistrad?

Tamiyo's continued prominence signals to me that they haven't forgotten about Kamigawa. I think they're going back there eventually, to expand her character if for no other reason.

By the way, I just realized that we never found out what happened to Tibalt. Why wasn't he on Innistrad?

Planeswalker, he can leave whenever he wants, and there was no personal connection holding him there.

Well yeah, but did they ever explain why he left or where he went? If not, why did they decide to ignore him? Do we even know where he's from, if not from Innistrad?

He's from Innistrad. He's a mad scientist that experimented with devils, resulting in him becoming half-man half-devil. He probably just left because he noticed things were going bad--or possibly, he even left as soon as Avacyn returned. We don't know where he went.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I'm guessing we get Kamigawa in another "mashup" set, Origins style. Not ten planes, but I could see them doing a block that's like, Kamigawa and four other planes fighting

Santiako

We got a glimpse of present day Kamigawa in Commander 2015's UG deck.

4L1vuso.png

I'm guessing we get Kamigawa in another "mashup" set, Origins style. Not ten planes, but I could see them doing a block that's like, Kamigawa and four other planes fighting

Kamigawa vs. Homelands (Ulgrotha)!
Not too farfetched, storywise, since the Umezawa family is on Kamigawa and Ulgrotha somehow

Haines

Banned
As long as you don't abuse it, in the last oh 7 years I have never been denied a refund request due to game issues.

You will get back 3 packs and 2 tickets if you were drafting.

Believe me I have no reason for abusing it.

I just got every god damn error in the book. Even my sound would only work half the time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think it's a Final Fantasy reference. They're "Dragoons" and you can pay a cost to give them flight until end of turn, aka "jump."

Angry Grimace

UW Spirits is a really fun deck. No idea how good it is against the best decks, but there's a ton of fun interactions that most of the other tribal decks don't seem to have.

It seems all the Gatewatch goes to Kaladesh to look at inventions? I could really use a more light-hearted block after the grittiness and forced epicness of the last two blocks.

Rosewater did respond to someone complaining about the eldrazi that Kaladesh is a complete 180 from where we've been this year so I imagine the bright, sunny feeling will carry through.

And suddenly I'm less interested.

This is really spitting against the sea at this point, y'all. It is straightforwardly a good idea for WotC to have brand characters that show up in everything and connect their stories together.

Well yeah, but did they ever explain why he left or where he went? If not, why did they decide to ignore him? Do we even know where he's from, if not from Innistrad?

He left because he's a planeswalker and he wanted to do something somewhere else. He wasn't actually part of the Innistrad story and didn't have any specific agenda keeping him there, so he just wandered off. I'm sure they'll get into it when he shows up on whichever other plane he does, but there wasn't really any reason to expect him to definitely appear here next.

Haines

Banned
Got my reimbursement with 5 hours.

I'm impressed that wizards stands behind there online product.

Hoping to make some time again tonight for another SOI draft than off to the beach for 3 days to get some outside time before weekend of two prereleases.

How many prereleases you guys doing?

UW Spirits is a really fun deck. No idea how good it is against the best decks, but there's a ton of fun interactions that most of the other tribal decks don't seem to have.

Are you testing it in Modern or Standard? I ran into someone last night who had a curve of Wanderer into Rattlechains into Drogskol Captain. That was a curve I am envious of.

Jhriad

This is really spitting against the sea at this point, y'all. It is straightforwardly a good idea for WotC to have brand characters that show up in everything and connect their stories together.

That's fine and dandy but I'd much rather a block focus more on one member of the Gatewatch, with the rest of the crew "elsewhere," rather than the group as a whole. It comes off as forced and really restricts their story character equity because these mainstays are constantly gallivanting into every single setting. Also, I'm growing tired of seeing the same cast of characters depicted in all the art despite how early we are in this trend of Gatewatch-ification. Maybe they'll be able to work the tempo of characters coming in and out of the storyline a little better going forward, since this is still a relatively new thing and I'm sure they're feeling it out as they go, but the idea of seeing Nissa, Gideon & Jace all over the place yet again isn't something I find too enticing.

Firemind

Better villains pls

I mean we have Emrakul who basically appears and disappears in a small set. Defeated by Tamiyo by herself I believe? They're all mary sues and gary stues at this point.

That's fine and dandy but I'd much rather a block focus more on one member of the Gatewatch, with the rest of the crew "elsewhere," rather than the group as a whole.

That's fair. This actually worked very well in SOI, I thought -- it clearly connected to the overarching plotline but didn't lose focus with five different characters all at once.

That said, I think visiting the MillennialInventor's Fair is the sort of thing that actually makes sense having the full crew all be in one place.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
You say this now, but Spell Queller makes Reflector Mage look fair.
Do you have a list of what you're working with? I'm playing around with it a bit myself ( Standard ), but I haven't really gone into deck-building before ( am now trying to build this and B/R Vampires for standard. any good place to test? ). This is what I came up with so far, would love to have some feedback from anyone as I'm not real experienced in deck-building;
1x Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
Not vital to the deck, but is occasionally especially useful when you get to Bolster your Mausoleum Wanderer. Might be too cute, don't really know yet. Feel like this as a one-off is harmless.
2x Elder Deep-Fiend
Emerge from Reflector Mage. Seems like a good bigger threat for this deck.
4x Mausoleum Wanderer
Duh.
2x Nebelgast Herald
I haven't tested this but feel like this could be a decent addition. Do not know what amount would be right to run here. Maybe none? Maybe more? Multiple on the board will tap a lot.
4x Rattlechains
Duh.
4x Reflector Mage
Not a spirit, but that don't matter much.
2x Selfless Soul
I feel like two is the right number for now with the type of removal running around. Four might be too much.
4x Spell Queller
Duh.

4x Essence Flux
I thought Essence Flux might be too cute at first, but I feel like it just does so much; Upgrade Mausoleum Wanderer by flickering itself or any other spirit, re-use Reflector Mage, re-use Spell Queller in case they cast a spell that is a bigger threat than the one exiled, maybe even just to untap and buff one of your creature to block. Seems very versatile for just a single U in this deck.
1x Ojutai's Command
This seems great and versatile ( returning Selfless Spirit / Mausoleum Wanderer / Rattlechains in reaction to something, basically adding "Creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn", Force Spike, and "Target Spirit gains Hexproof until end of turn" as modes ) but I'm not sure you want the full playset or even three.
4x Unsubstantiate
Slow them down. Bounce their big threat, Spell Queller it next turn. Remove a blocker for that final bit of damage. In some rarer cases, save your own creature / re-cycle ETB effects. If you have enough mana, you can be cute with Spell Queller and bounce it back while it's ETB is still on the stack.

4x Declaration in Stone
Removal, ho!

2x Always Watching
+1/+1 and Vigilance? Why not? Don't like a full playset here. Might not even be needed.

8x Island
6x Plains
4x Port Town
4x Prairie Stream
I don't really like how they're going to focus on the Gatewatch from now on with all sets. Though it would be great if Kaladesh's story just starts off with several stories of them just going around the inventor's fair and interacting with eachother without any instant conflict or threat. >w>

kirblar

Nah, nothing actively brewing, just that the card is fucking bonkers, will be showing up in all formats, and is going to have a huge impact. It counters uncounterable spells!

Angry Grimace

I don't like Reflector Mage in a Spirits deck. I think maindecking Negate or Unsubstantiate is a better move.

red13th

I love Spell Queller but I can't cube with it, I wasn't able to find a cut in my Azorius section. I like Reflector Mage better than Spell Queller in a non-powered cube (Geist and Verdict are uncuttable) but Queller is probably better in Constructed. I love the art too, it's a great card overall. EMN has so many great cards.

Hero

A flash deck might even be viable. We have a large amount of viable flash creatures, some with evasion, at this point.

I think there is definitely a viable competitive flash deck, but those tend to be really crappy for "fun" environments.

Snapcaster/Spell Queller/Resto Angel/Avayacn = barf

Better villains pls

I mean we have Emrakul who basically appears and disappears in a small set. Defeated by Tamiyo by herself I believe? They're all mary sues and gary stues at this point.

Actual villains would be a start. The Eldrazi are basically forces of nature.
Or at least were until Jace mindread Emrakul. Who thought that was a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom