• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

explodet

Eldritch Moon prerelease primer
* Falkenrath Reaver (red vanilla 2/2 for 2) was the most controversial card in the set.
falkenrathreaver.jpg
nooseconstrictor.jpg

*shrugs*

MaRo's card by card stories part 1

* It looks like it's Tamiyo specifically who imprisons Emrakul in the moon.
drV40.gif

I think RW aggro is gonna be a very strong archetype in draft the 4/3 wolves for 3 when attacking and 2/3 human for 2 when attacking look very strong.

Then there's the 2/3 for 3 that gets back an aura or equipment from the yard. That makes it possible to play hope against hope and the banishing light spell.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209704507]My prediction: 0 Emerge cards in the top 8 of Pro Tour Eldritch Moon.[/QUOTE]

well they don't exactly fit the top 2 archetypes right now.
0 Gideon to sac it to emerge doesn't sound very exciting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209704507]My prediction: 0 Emerge cards in the top 8 of Pro Tour Eldritch Moon.[/QUOTE]

You'll know they done goofed when the Top 8 is 4 GW Tokens decks and 4 Bant Company decks of different varieties.

explodet

Could be worse: the last time I paid any attention to pro MtG, they had just banned Skullclamp because every damn deck had 4 of them.

Bandini

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209726830]lol LSV beating Vintage Dredge's 6 card double Bazaar hand on the draw with a 3 card hand.[/QUOTE]

He said he needed a hate card and he was right!

Firemind

Well, blue is the only color left that can't get a 2/2 creature for 1M.
They have a ghost bear for one mana.

Speaking of blue, if you're playing vintage cube, I might rate TNN higher than Black Lotus if you're already in blue. That card is SO GOOD. Especially with swords or Jitte.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Given its name, Imprison feels blue, but the actual effect is greenish. It could've been blue-green, especially since the art has, you know, both Tamiyo and Nissa.

I never thought this would happen, but EDH cube is now one of my favorite formats. There's just something about an 8-pack draft with heavy signaling that just makes the limited player in me squeal. The games themselves are casual and mind-numbingly long(often 2-3 hours) but otherwise it's basically perfect.

They have a ghost bear for one mana.

Speaking of blue, if you're playing vintage cube, I might rate TNN higher than Black Lotus if you're already in blue. That card is SO GOOD. Especially with swords or Jitte.

TNN used to be the nickname for Tooth and Nail when it was a tier 1 standard deck a long time ago. I was confused for a minute

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209735371]I never thought this would happen, but EDH cube is now one of my favorite formats. There's just something about an 8-pack draft with heavy signaling that just makes the limited player in me squeal. The games themselves are casual and mind-numbingly long(often 2-3 hours) but otherwise it's basically perfect.[/QUOTE]
I know Tiny Leaders is heavily looked down upon, but I wonder if something like that would be better suited for a cube draft?

Please let me know if you have any of these cards and we could work something out.
These are my needs/wants:
x2 Life from the Loam (Duel Deck version)
x4 Exploration (Conspiracy)
x3 Stifle (Conspiracy)
x1 Manabond
x1 Riftstone Portal
x4 Krosan Grip
x2 Tireless Tracker
x2 Boil
x1 Vindicate (Eternal Masters)
x4 Cabal Therapy (Eternal Masters)
x4 Daze (Eternal Masters)
x1 Surgical Extraction
x1 Fire Covenant

Haines

Banned
I tried to play draft tonight.

Game craahed pick one pack one instantly.

Then it froze and I had to restart it like 3 times in games.

Sound is only coming through once in a while.

I asked support and they told me to reinstall.

I don't think.i can spend any more on drafts after this. (My third one)

Never had an issue the last two. This one even gave me cards in my pool didn't pick. And every pack it kept putting sideboard into my deck pool

sgjackson

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209735371]I never thought this would happen, but EDH cube is now one of my favorite formats. There's just something about an 8-pack draft with heavy signaling that just makes the limited player in me squeal. The games themselves are casual and mind-numbingly long(often 2-3 hours) but otherwise it's basically perfect.[/QUOTE]

i'm putting serious thought into building another cube and you've piqued my interest. how does it work?

I tried to play draft tonight.

Game craahed pick one pack one instantly.

Then it froze and I had to restart it like 3 times in games.

Sound is only coming through once in a while.

I asked support and they told me to reinstall.

I don't think.i can spend any more on drafts after this. (My third one)

Never had an issue the last two. This one even gave me cards in my pool didn't pick. And every pack it kept putting sideboard into my deck pool

ask for reimbursement

If you want to prepare, Luis Scott-Vargas goes through every card and rates it for Limited in the week leading up to the prerelease. Those articles will surely be linked when they appear. Here are the ones for SOI.

Awesome, thanks!

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a Magic podcast that might talk about the set a bit/mechanics? Long drive on Friday so I figured I could pass some time with a MTG podcast as well lol

i'm putting serious thought into building another cube and you've piqued my interest. how does it work?

4 players
8 packs each
~1000 card cube(not necessarily following the standard EDH banlist)
Deck must follow commander deckbuilding rules

You draft a deck as you go, one of the challenges being that you have to decide whether to pick a powerful card, great mana fixing/acceleration or a strong commander. It's similar to Vintage Cube leaning slightly towards the Legendary Cube with high-powered spells such as Demonic Tutor and Sol Ring being balanced more or less by the fact that there's 4 players. Stuff like Jace the Mindsculptor is actually pretty medium whereas Aura Shards is a god card.

It feels closest to drafting Vintage Cube but it takes a lot more thinking since you don't just pick insane combos and expect to win in 3 turns. It's a lot less clear how important every card is because you're building a 100 card deck. I tend to take stuff like Mana Confluence over Sneak Attack, for instance. Reading signals is also more important because each pack wheels so much. Everything from Mono-Blue Azami to 5-color Scion of the Ur-Dragon tribal is possible.

Awesome, thanks!

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a Magic podcast that might talk about the set a bit/mechanics? Long drive on Friday so I figured I could pass some time with a MTG podcast as well lol

There's usually a looooong podcast going through every card for Limited. It should come out later this week.

Schryver

I bought 1 Blood Moon recently for my modern RG land destruction deck. It was from 9th edition and I was surprised to see a white border. Is the white border random in that edition or are they all white bordered? If I eventually get a playset I don't want them to be different

bigkrev

I bought 1 Blood Moon recently for my modern RG land destruction deck. It was from 9th edition and I was surprised to see a white border. Is the white border random in that edition or are they all white bordered? If I eventually get a playset I don't want them to be different

All 9th edition cards are white bordered unless they are foils in any language, or non-foil Russian

OnPoint

Tamiyo, who is no longer only blue, cast this spell, so it had to be blue, even though it is not mechanically blue but rather white and she is now part white.

Meanwhile when Nahiri summons Emrakul the Coax from the Blind Eternities is a blue spell even though Nahiri isn't blue at all.

I guess I don't get it.

Because blue gets to do everything.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Core sets before 10th edition had white borders for dumb reasons.

Santiako

Kaladesh's art book description:

"Optimism, innovation, and the spirit of creativity fill these pages, lavishly illustrated with the award-winning art of Magic: The Gathering™! Welcome to Kaladesh—a vibrant, beautiful plane where anything is possible. Join the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they explore the Inventors’ Fair, and let your imagination soar alongside thopters and airships crafted by the best artificers in the Multiverse.

Come discover the marvels of Kaladesh—its inhabitants, its inventors, and its artifacts. They all await you at the grand Inventors’ Fair!"

It seems all the Gatewatch goes to Kaladesh to look at inventions? I could really use a more light-hearted block after the grittiness and forced epicness of the last two blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom