• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misremembered actually, he just has a mental question and answer with Emrakul.

He stared ahead at Emrakul's massive form, trying to see Her the way Tamiyo did. He looked into Her enormous magenta eye. It was warm and welcoming. He wondered what he would find if he went inside. He held himself back, just on the precipice. What is your name? he asked What do you call yourself?

A deluge of words echoed from all corners of his mind:

The enteral infinity—this world is mine.

The absolute—I shall have all.

The beginning—I shall be all.

The being—all are'mrakul.

The end.

The end.

The end.

Which is still pretty silly imo.

Ashodin

Working on the next current events:

CHANDRA’s picture connects.

CHANDRA: Glad to be here, or there, or…?

THIRTEEN: You’re currently connected to our patented Planeswalker mana-di-optic-algorithmic-interface, yes.

CHANDRA: That thing.

THIRTEEN: The mana-di-optic-algorithmic-interface, yes.

CHANDRA: Are you even capable of regular words?

THIRTEEN: What!? I am capable of many words! Anyway, we’re here to talk about what just happened on Innistrad, Chandra. Apparently, I was able to help secure our Lab here because of some sort of Zombie army and/or the Gatewatch’s help? Can you comment on that?

CHANDRA: Well, I just blew them up with fire. It’s what I do.

kirblar

You can grab Mausoleum Wanderer and Selfless Spirit for under 2.50 each right now, probably not a bad idea if you want to try playing the deck.

Firemind

Misremembered actually, he just has a mental question and answer with Emrakul.

Which is still pretty silly imo.
Well... all I can say is... what a letdown.

And where the hell is Bolas? It was his plan in the first place to break the seal of Ugin by luring Jace, Chandra and a manipulated Sarkhan into the chamber. He better be trapped by Tetsuo Umezawa again in Kamigawa Electric Boogaloo during SOI's events!

OnPoint

Well... all I can say is... what a letdown.

And where the hell is Bolas? It was his plan in the first place to break the seal of Ugin by luring Jace, Chandra and a manipulated Sarkhan into the chamber. He better be trapped by Tetsuo Umezawa again in Kamigawa Electric Boogaloo during SOI's events!

Let's be fair: The three of them were all manipulated by him to some degree.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The most annoying deck I've come up with so far:

Deck: Bant Spirits
w.gif
u.gif
g.gif

//Lands
3 Canopy Vista
4 Evolving Wilds
1 Forest
6 Island
3 Plains
2 Port Town
3 Prairie Stream
3 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
4 Collected Company
4 Dromoka's Command

//Creatures
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Nebelgast Herald
4 Permeating Mass
4 Rattlechains
4 Reflector Mage
3 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller

//Sideboard
2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
2 Clip Wings
2 Bygone Bishop
3 Negate
2 Unsubstantiate
3 Ojutai's Command
1 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit

Display deck statistics

The combo with Permeating Mass is cool, but that's a lot of x/1s for 4 dromoka's commands.
Nah, nothing actively brewing, just that the card is fucking bonkers, will be showing up in all formats, and is going to have a huge impact. It counters uncounterable spells!

Getting Abrupt Decay is the real deal. Three mana is a lot to hold up, though. I'd be surprised if it was seeing cross archetype play in old formats.

Haines

Banned
Hmm.
Having fun drafting online. I'm surprised people aren't...better? I guess I just assume anyone willing to spend money would be really good already. It's prob 50/50 good vs bad.

Idk if I can do the online thing much more tho. Wow is it dull. And winning a match in 30 minutes and having to pass the time with something else...ehhh. at least at fmn can be social and watch other matches.

I think they just need an overhaul. They have a great card game but Jesus is it dull to play on a pc vs something like hearthstone, no matter the skill it requires blah blah blah

sgjackson

Hmm.
Having fun drafting online. I'm surprised people aren't...better? I guess I just assume anyone willing to spend money would be really good already. It's prob 50/50 good vs bad.

Idk if I can do the online thing much more tho. Wow is it dull. And winning a match in 30 minutes and having to pass the time with something else...ehhh. at least at fmn can be social and watch other matches.

I think they just need an overhaul. They have a great card game but Jesus is it dull to play on a pc vs something like hearthstone, no matter the skill it requires blah blah blah

i always felt like the level of competition is higher online than in person, even in swiss, but a good lgs with people who aren't type-a assholes is always going to be better than an online draft.

Haines

Banned
i always felt like the level of competition is higher online than in person, even in swiss, but a good lgs with people who aren't type-a assholes is always going to be better than an online draft.

Im pretty sure I agree with all of that.

You absolutely run the risk of dealing with a dufus at LGS time to time.

Got second. Would have beat the final guy but time ran out. I need to learn to play faster but than I make mistakes so I play slower. Lol

Crocodile

I haven't used E-bay in I think years and I don't think I can reclaim my account :(

I don't want to start back from zero feedback :(

That's fair. This actually worked very well in SOI, I thought -- it clearly connected to the overarching plotline but didn't lose focus with five different characters all at once.

That said, I think visiting the MillennialInventor's Fair is the sort of thing that actually makes sense having the full crew all be in one place.

Haha glad I'm not the only one who thought that

Can't wait to try out grixis madness / delirium. Liliana getting back GDD for ultimate value. Hymn to tourach seems dece as well and to the slaughter still might be the best way to deal with GW if you can enable it.

y2dvd

With all the spirits hype, will it get to T1? It has potential.

Ugh my lgs is filled with Miracles players. So grindy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hmm.

Yeah but you can play Vintage Cube online.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209825728]The combo with Permeating Mass is cool, but that's a lot of x/1s for 4 dromoka's commands.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree, but the competing option is Declaration in Stone and I was trying to avoid sorcery speed stuff in a deck like this. I'll give it a try I guess.

Angry Grimace

Dromoka's Command doesn't combo with Permeating Mass, though. It only triggers on combat damage.

No, we knew that, but that isn't why the card is in the deck. It's in the deck because Dromoka's Command is one of the best cards in Standard. But its a lot weaker when your dudes actually die to it. The problem is that you need some level of removal and it seems like the options are either Unsubstantiate, D-Comm or Declaration in Stone.

Unsubstantiate might actually be okay here. At some point I can usually just lock an opponent down with Nebelgast Herald and Rattlechains.

http://magic.wizards.com/node/1034661

Official Magic Story: Saint Traft and the Flight of Nightmares
  • Thalia and her Order are marching towards Thraben to defeat the Eldrazi. Thalia notes that the last time an army marched there she was on the defending end.
  • Apparently the inquistion is now called the Sinpurged, because they've got it into their heads that tentacles sprouting from every orifice is the new black.
  • Thalia tries to pick up the spear of the dead Avacyn, gets burnt on touching it, and then Ghost Pope aids her and all is fine.
  • She uses the spear to rally the order, reminding her Cathar's that they fight for what Avacyn stood for, not what she had become.
  • While coming on Thraben, they end up fighting one of "It that rides as one". They beat it, but a Cathar goes insane and dies at Thalia's mercy.
  • Upon arriving in Thraben, she finds Olivia, who they both agree to work together to kill the Eldrazi because even they're sick of them.
  • We get some back story on Saint Traft(Turns out the person on Invocation am was the child he died saving) when the Cathar as a whole begin to suffer. Thalia tells them not to give up and convinces them to let the spirits of the church into them.
  • She runs into Brunela after an encounter with the former leader of the inquistion. Things aren't going well, then Sigarda appears and ends up trying to fight her former sisters.
  • Thalia, through the power of the almighty Ghost Pope, manages to wound Brunela enough so Sigarda can burst out of her chest.
  • The two express a moment of Joy before they see Emrakul ready to screw stuff up.

I know it's never going to happen, but this just reaffirms how much I wish Thalia was a Planeswalker in the Gatewatch. She's like the Supergirl to Gideon's Superman.

Magic Story - Saint Traft Potter and the Flight of Nightmares
* Back to Thalia and friends. Odric stayed behind due to a crisis of faith. They were being chased by an inquisitor named Geeta, but she insists on dragging around guillotines, which slow her and her army down enough that she's considered a non-issue.
* The inquisitors consider a transformation into an Eldrazi a sign that your sins have been purged.
* Hanweir has already transformed into Eldrazi Ooze by this point.
* They get confirmation that Avacyn is dead, with Avacyn's spear. Thalia's gryff starts crying. Thalia is unable to touch the spear until she gets help from the spirit of Saint Traft, and she uses it to hold their banner. She gives a speech.
* They go to Thraben, where there are a lot of Eldrazi. At first they ignore them, but Thalia gets to close to an It That Rides as One and it attacks her. She and the others kill it.
* One of the newbies looks like he's about to throw up, but instead he gets Eldrazified. Thalia kills him.
* As they travel, townsfolk with pitchforks join them.
* They meet up with Olivia's army of vampires. Olivia mentions that she met Saint Traft once. Thalia knows the vampires will turn on them once the battle is over, but that's a hypothetical compared to the real threat of the Eldrazi.
* Flashback to Thalia meeting the ghost of Saint Traft.
* As they get into Thraben, everyone is affected by the madness. Saint Traft protects Thalia, but the others aren't safe. Thalia gives a speech, a bit too late since some have already Eldrazified, and holy spirits come and possess everyone. Some reject the spirits and Thalia doesn't insist.
* They get inside the city walls, where townsfolk, cathars, and even skaabs are fighting off the monsters and cultists. Thalia goes to kill Seeta, who is among the cultists, but Olivia kills her first.
* Brisela appears. As the only one with a gryff, Thalia thinks she has to fight it herself. She gets her ass kicked, but Sigarda comes to the rescue. Sigarda is grabbed and Brisela tries to fuse with her.
* Saint Traft makes Thalia go Super Saiyan, with wings of light coming out of her. She uses Avacyn's spear to kill Brisela and save Sigarda.
* Emrakul appears.

No, we knew that, but that isn't why the card is in the deck. It's in the deck because Dromoka's Command is one of the best cards in Standard. But its a lot weaker when your dudes actually die to it. The problem is that you need some level of removal and it seems like the options are either Unsubstantiate, D-Comm or Declaration in Stone.

Unsubstantiate might actually be okay here. At some point I can usually just lock an opponent down with Nebelgast Herald and Rattlechains.

Oh. Is there a different combo with Permeating Mass then? I'm confused

Angry Grimace

Oh. Is there a different combo with Permeating Mass then? I'm confused

Flash it in to block with Rattlechains or Collected Company, or use it as a cheap way to enable Nebelgast Herald or just up your spirit count for Mausoleum Wanderer. I've moved on from that particular combo recently though and sent it to the board against matchups where it mgiht be

CoCo is too much of a splashable cheat card to not try at least.

Played some Vintage Cube, drafting a Temur Bring to Light combo deck with Conclave Naturalists and Ancient Grudge in the main and Natural State and Fiery Confluence in the side.

First opponent goes turn one, Mishra's Workshop.

giphy.gif

Angry Grimace

The grindy matches will continue until further notice:

I have 1 Forest, 3 Islands and 2 Plains out. All I have out is 2 Nebelgast Herald and I'm at 3 life. Opponent is playing Bant Humans and is at 8, but has 5 guys out who will all easily swing for lethal (they have Thalia's Lieutenant counters).

I play a Mausoleum Wanderer to prevent his wolves (Duskwatch/Lambholt Pacifist) from flipping. I pass. His turn, he casts Thalia, so I cast Collected Company in response, playing Spell Queller and another Nebelgast Herald. I eat his Thalia and put 8 Nebelgast Herald triggers on the stack.

Good beats.

It's more Shaman King than anything, but I have to imagine that series was inspired by Jojo in the first place.

Intro pack decklists, the last we'll ever see. Notably, Bedlam Reveler is in the blue/red one, Cryptbreaker is in the blue/black one, and Noose Constrictor is in the red/green one. Some people are also speculating that Haunted Dead could be good, and there are two of that in the white/black intro pack. Oh, and the cards are all on Gatherer now.

And since we've been linking the previous ones, Limited Set Review: Black.

bigkrev

It's more Shaman King than anything, but I have to imagine that series was inspired by Jojo in the first place.

Intro pack decklists, the last we'll ever see. Notably, Bedlam Reveler is in the blue/red one, Cryptbreaker is in the blue/black one, and Noose Constrictor is in the red/green one. Some people are also speculating that Haunted Dead could be good, and there are two of that in the white/black intro pack. Oh, and the cards are all on Gatherer now.

And since we've been linking the previous ones, Limited Set Review: Black.

One of those intro decks has 3x Take Inventory. That's a pretty nasty fuck you to the player

Ashodin

It's a bit amusing her card abilities have NOTHING to do with the ones she displays in the story.

Auras is what she's getting really.

Also, Sigarda's Aid is LEGIT as fuck. Doing testing now with an upgraded deck. All of the new options allow me to make it way more aggressive and Humans-centric (lol).

Hanweir Garrison is straight up some bullshit with Weapons Trainer + Thalia's Lieutenant.

Anyone want to help me test on Cockatrice? I'm on.

Angry Grimace

Honestly those intro packs are fucking garbage and the Planeswalker ones will be just as bad except they'll teach you to value bad cards even more.

There's no reason why you should make a deck of 1-of shitty cards when you could make a serviceable deck even if it was all commons by not being stupid. I realize they figure newbies want a bigger mix of cards, but every time I've tried to play with people they hate having a million more cards to read.

Honestly those intro packs are fucking garbage and the Planeswalker ones will be just as bad except they'll teach you to value bad cards even more.

There's no reason why you should make a deck of 1-of shitty cards when you could make a serviceable deck even if it was all commons by not being stupid. I realize they figure newbies want a bigger mix of cards, but every time I've tried to play with people they hate having a million more cards to read.

I imagine it's to drive the sale of boosters. Even if its a common, if its a card you like you're going to want more of them, and for many beginners the next logical step is to start buying and cracking packs.

bigkrev

Compare the ones of today to this deck from Stronghold (second set to have precons), just to have an idea of how they used to make interesting precons (granted, this deck was far to complex for a newer player) http://www.wizards.com/magic/displaythemedeck.asp?set=stronghold&decknum=4&lang=en

Compare the ones of today to this deck from Stronghold (second set to have precons), just to have an idea of how they used to make interesting precons (granted, this deck was far to complex for a newer player) http://www.wizards.com/magic/displaythemedeck.asp?set=stronghold&decknum=4&lang=en

You know, this could be an interesting community exercise: build a set of intro packs for a set. I'd make an attempt myself, but I shouldn't let myself get distracted from work too much now.

Another idea is seeing how much a player could really figure out about the story just by looking at the cards with no preexisting knowledge of the story, by doing so yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom