• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SmileBASIC |OT| Creating and sharing retro games in 3D, on the go!

I'm working on a 3DS RPG type thing in SmileBASIC. All the art and programming myself, and hopefully music if I make it that far.

If you can do the cross eye thing to see things in 3D, you can try it with this:

3TjGKHL.jpg

Pixel art with 3D off (still a Miiverse jpg though):

KE5PCmd.jpg

all the grass is blowing in the wind, normally it's straight. The little individual dark pixels scattered around are particle leaves that blow off the trees, and the clouds scroll up and to the right. The water also moves back and forth a little. Also not pictured is a Dragon Quest style swamp with bubbles that slowly rise out of it in 3D.

You basically have access to 5 3D layers, not including stuff that pops forward out of the 3DS which I'm not doing because it gets messed up at the edges of the screen. Water is on the lowest layer, then the ground and low things like trunks of trees, then a middle layer for trees and such, and then the uppermost layer for the tops of trees and tops of the mountains, finally with clouds one layer above that on level with the screen.

I didn't know SmileBASIC had been removed from the eShop temporarily due to a homebrew exploit a couple of weeks ago.

Carry on.

It surprises me that there is no SmileBasic recommendation thread, there are a lot of gems for it already.. but if you don't know where to look, it is impossible to find them.

Saoshyant

This just released in Europe, 9.50 EUR.

Wow. I saw the thread bump and hoped it would be something like that. And then it hit me that nobody will care at this point. It's been so long, like, who's going through all the bother involved to make little games on their 3DS near the end of 2017? Why did they screw up by making such a long hold up in the first place?

Wow. I saw the thread bump and hoped it would be something like that. And then it hit me that nobody will care at this point. It's been so long, like, who's going through all the bother involved to make little games on their 3DS near the end of 2017? Why did they screw up by making such a long hold up in the first place?

Guilty as charged.
Though it was mainly due to one of the communities holding a fun little contest...

Did this ever release on Wii U then?
Saw someone mention it earlier in this thread.

Only in Japan. I'm not confident in a Western release at this point, though given what just happened to the 3DS version, you never know?

Guilty as charged.
Though it was mainly due to one of the communities holding a fun little contest...

Only in Japan. I'm not confident in a Western release at this point, though given what just happened to the 3DS version, you never know?

They replied to me months ago that they not doing a Western release of the Wii U version.

I was super bummed.

They replied to me months ago that they not doing a Western release of the Wii U version.

I was super bummed.
Makes sense. I hope they have something in the pipeline for Switch, or that the alternative (Fuze Basic) is decent. The PC version of Fuze seems a bit... undercooked, but the developer claims to be rewriting it for the Switch version, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

@MUWANdo

Banned

NOE's protocol regarding UGC took a lot of time to meet, from what I understand. It's not like they just now got around to releasing it, they've been working on it for a long time.

Top Bottom