• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

Wis

Neo Member
Aargh...
I'm missing one last electronic part on Triumvirate Drive for the 100%. It has eluded me till now.
Do you have any memories of difficult findings in this place?
Although I'm pretty confident it will surely be one of those in plain view showing that I'm actually blind. ^^

Matt Frost

Wo, what's the general consensus on Catalyst?
Worth 40 euro?

I bought it for 40€ and think it has been a great purchase. 60fps, fluid and fun to play, graphics are good too with lots of smoke effects and reflections, the combat is better than the first one, open world to explore, a many more things. So far, much much better than the first one gameplay wise.

I bought it for 40€ and think it has been a great purchase. 60fps, fluid and fun to play, graphics are good too with lots of smoke effects and reflections, the combat is better than the first one, open world to explore, a many more things. So far, much much better than the first one gameplay wise.

Maybe it's just because I only played a couple of hours, but main-story quests, for now, can't compare to the first game; level design, atmosphere, etc.

Hopefully it gets better, because I really like it.

Aeqvitas

Just finished the story.

Thought the game was great, I had also beaten the original. The open world has some cool ideas, could have been executed better. All the main missions are great.

A lot of the side content is just side content, but it gives you an excuse to do more if you are inclined.

Overall I would say 7.5-8/10. Solid game, fun for anyone interested.

Matt Frost

Maybe it's just because I only played a couple of hours, but main-story quests, for now, can't compare to the first game; level design, atmosphere, etc.

Hopefully it gets better, because I really like it.

The base game is the star of the show. Running around doing parkour while collecting things does it for me, I love iñthw game because of that alone and the story is good enough for me, the extra stuff is good to go too. Worth my money for sure

Wis

Neo Member
Yay! 100% achieved.
Obviously the last electronic part was an utterly easy one (which I could not find for days). >___<

Just picked this game up and oh man it should not be open world. The city is beautiful but I don't know where anything is cos theres no real landmarks to follow so I just follow the runners vision to the next objective. I really, really wish it had been detailed, separate levels with multiple routes to be found yourself. I also wish there was just no combat and that punch and kick were used for some more movement options, but thats just personal preference more than anything. The general gameplay is wonderful but in my opinion it just doesn't suit the open world framework. Just a huge missed opportunity for me. I'm going to keep playing in the hope I come round to it though.

Wis

Neo Member
I'm going to keep playing in the hope I come round to it though.
Eventually It clicked for me, somehow.
A couple more of hard to reach (seemingly impossible) places with easter egg would have been nice. As it is, anytime I get to an hard to reach place it's cleary a place the programmers did not think it would have been reachable, and that means a lot of missed potential.
It's fun to get there and leave a Beat L.E., though. ^__^

horkrux

Just picked this game up and oh man it should not be open world. The city is beautiful but I don't know where anything is cos theres no real landmarks to follow so I just follow the runners vision to the next objective. I really, really wish it had been detailed, separate levels with multiple routes to be found yourself. I also wish there was just no combat and that punch and kick were used for some more movement options, but thats just personal preference more than anything. The general gameplay is wonderful but in my opinion it just doesn't suit the open world framework. Just a huge missed opportunity for me. I'm going to keep playing in the hope I come round to it though.

I can only recommend to set Runner's Vision to 'Classic'. I think this helps to get to know the layout of the city a little bit better, while still having at least some kind of guidance. The main missions do have separate levels, so the city is not all there is.

A couple more of hard to reach (seemingly impossible) places with easter egg would have been nice. As it is, anytime I get to an hard to reach place it's cleary a place the programmers did not think it would have been reachable, and that means a lot of missed potential.

There are, though. I have only played for like 4h, but I suddenly stumbled across the ME logo on a wall and - sure enough - after climbing the unfinished elevator shaft or whatever it was supposed to be, there was a collectible at the top. Or do you mean that you wish there'd been more of those?

KageMaru

Wondering if there is something up with my rig. My framerates are between high 60s-low 90s with it sometimes peaking over the hundreds when I'm looking at a panel or up in the sky. I have a it 6700K stock clock, GTX 1070, and 16GB of memory. Running the game as max setting at 1080p. Is this normal? The benches I'm seeing online lead me to think it should be at least 10 frames faster.

Wis

Neo Member
Or do you mean that you wish there'd been more of those?
Yep. All bags are pretty well hidden and challenging to reach, but there are a lot of difficult to reach places which are just empty. Anyway I'm happy with what they've done with bags and some electronic parts. Documents and recordings are just shamelessly scattered around though.

FINALLY got around to starting this up today on PC, its fucking great wtf guys im sad now. Looks amazing too.

Yep, its fucking great. All of the crying in this thread put me off it initially, but its nitpicking. The story sucks and the VA sucks. Thats ok, it sucked in ME1, and i still loved the game. ME:C rocks.

Matt Frost

Yep, its fucking great. All of the crying in this thread put me off it initially, but its nitpicking. The story sucks and the VA sucks. Thats ok, it sucked in ME1, and i still loved the game. ME:C rocks.

Completely agree, was the fence because of the nitpicking but glad that I picked it up... people cry too much over nothing these days, way too much...

~Kinggi~

Banned

even though the story isnt good the city atmosphere and music is great, helps a lot. Wish Faith's character wasnt such a standard videogame cliche.

how obvious was it to everyone else that it was Faith's sister? Also, that she came around at the end and the possible sequel will be both of them taking down the system?

Esque7

Nope. And that track you linked is the best track in the game.

Just finished listening to the soundtrack and thought I missed it lol. That's a shame though, wonder why he decided to not put it on the OST as I also think it's the best song. Finished the game recently too, really liked it despite some serious flaws. Need to go back and do all the runs and side content still.

Just finished the main story. Did anyone else find it to be a bit short? Not that thats a bad thing though. I was halfway through the last level and started thinking 'oh crap I think this game is over now'. Overall I have mixed emotions.

- Still think the game shouldn't have been open world. Or if it was make it more of a smaller, detailed playground. Something like Arkham City?
- OST is fantastic.
- Game looks beautiful. Such a distinctive art style.
- Gameplay is just brilliant. Have no problems with controls or anything. Wish the swinging was a bit more fleshed out maybe. Just makes me want a 1st person Spider Man game!
- Story was a non-entity. Very predictable, very cliched and full of one note characters. Plastic... Ugh.
- If by some miracle another game is made, hopefully they learn from this one's mistakes. This game could have been so much more.

Edit: Also the missions in which you are forced to do combat can get out of here. Unless there was a way to escape and I'm just dumb.

Blizzard

Banned
Just finished the main story. Did anyone else find it to be a bit short? Not that thats a bad thing though. I was halfway through the last level and started thinking 'oh crap I think this game is over now'. Overall I have mixed emotions.

- Still think the game shouldn't have been open world. Or if it was make it more of a smaller, detailed playground. Something like Arkham City?
- OST is fantastic.
- Game looks beautiful. Such a distinctive art style.
- Gameplay is just brilliant. Have no problems with controls or anything. Wish the swinging was a bit more fleshed out maybe. Just makes me want a 1st person Spider Man game!
- Story was a non-entity. Very predictable, very cliched and full of one note characters. Plastic... Ugh.
- If by some miracle another game is made, hopefully they learn from this one's mistakes. This game could have been so much more.

Edit: Also the missions in which you are forced to do combat can get out of here. Unless there was a way to escape and I'm just dumb.
I quite liked Plastic and thought she was more nuanced than some people gave her credit. Like the first game, elements tend to be love or hate, though.

I also quite liked the open world. I loved the lack of elevator loading.

I agree about forced combat sections. Thankfully there aren't too many.

Just got this game and while I'm liking it for the most part, the drones and helicopter chases are so painful that it almost kills the entire game. Did people find these fun? It's like EA thought it would be a good idea to add an element from Need for Speed and 'outrun the police.' It's so terrible in a setting like this though when there are specific pathways and you can get lost so easily. It's not like on the roads where it's a grid and easy to maneuver around. So stupid.

Blizzard

Banned
Just got this game and while I'm liking it for the most part, the drones and helicopter chases are so painful that it almost kills the entire game. Did people find these fun? It's like EA thought it would be a good idea to add an element from Need for Speed and 'outrun the police.' It's so terrible in a setting like this though when there are specific pathways and you can get lost so easily. It's not like on the roads where it's a grid and easy to maneuver around. So stupid.
The proper solution is to check the map and sprint for the nearest safehouse.

The less annoying solution is to dive facefirst off the nearest roof. Once you respawn, the chase is gone. :p

Codiox

Finished this game with 100% dashes. I'm speechless. I really liked the first one, but this one fucking nails it. I loved every second of it. The ocean pier was the best part of the game. The art design is so awesome. Could watch all the buildings and interior for hours. Also the last level was fucking hype. I'm really impressed with it. I also really liked the story. Nothing remarkable awesome but it fitted really good. I think it's my GOTY. Man I'm blown away :D

Warriorr

Neo Member
Benzinga contacted Michael Pachter, Wedbush expert on gaming stocks, to receive a more specific analysis on some of Electronic Art's key initiatives such as "Mirror's Edge."

When asked about Electronic Art’s relatively criticized "Mirror's Edge" game, Pachter said "the results were fine.” Although Electronic Arts didn’t provide any exact figures on the game, revenue numbers suggest it sold between 1.7-2.0 million units, according to the analyst.

http://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/16/08/8294977/michael-pachter-on-electronic-arts-earnings-mirrors-edge

If he is correct, this is in line with EA's statement about Catalyst "meeting expectations".

Could someone create a new thread about this pls? I want people to understand that Catalyst isn't a bad flop sequel but just a fine new addition in the ME serie- not perfect but doing the job. (I still can't create my own threads for obscure reasons...).

TripOpt55

I'm back to chipping away at the platinum for this. Finished up three-starring the dashes. Just have some collectibles and a few other oddball trophies to collect. This is a very flawed game, but at its best it still delivers a feeling like no other series out there for me. Nailing a Dash run is just the best.

I've seen people complain that the story to this game was atrocious, but honestly its not bad. It's not good either, it's just there.

My biggest complaint with this game though is the forced combat. Other than that it is an alright game.

I just finished this the other day and really, really enjoyed the game. Not worried about cheevos or trophies so I just played the story missions and collected the collectables when I saw them, but didn't go out of my way to grab them. I may have played 5 or 6 side missions/diversions but since I dislike/suck at racing, I skipped them for the rest of the game and the lack of XP didn't stop me from almost upgrading everything.

So yeah, if you're a bit daunted by this turning into a bloated Ubi-style open world game, you can just play this as a linear adventure if you want.

Spoit

Honestly, I never really got the complaints about the open world. If it was about it being drudgework to run to each mission start point (even though almost all of them were right next to a fast travel point), I could maybe understand. But most of them seemed to be about there being collectables? I mean, it's not like anyone is holding a gun to your head to get them all?

Zojirushi

Soo I just finished the main story.

It's a very good game but I have to admit that I'm definitely left with the feeling that there should have / could have been more to it after all this time.

The cliffhanger "now the real fight starts!" kinda ending sucks pretty bad unless they are confident in being able to make a sequel. I'd hate for this to be one of those games that will be forever left in nirvana at least story wise

Other than that this could maybe be the Assassin's Creed 1 to a new Mirror's Edge franchise. Game seemed to have sold alright and EA mentioned something about a diverse portfolio being of value by itself even if that means that not every single game sells gangbusters.

Well let's hope for the best I guess.

Warriorr

Neo Member
As a big fan of the franchise, I did enjoy Catalyst but I was disappointed with a lot of things. For example, the graphics and the design of Glass let me down. This is what Mirror's Edge 2 should have been:

18j19f1blssu4jpg.jpg

Keep the soul of the first game instead of trying to create a sci-fi city DICE. Mirror's Edge needs to be as minimalist as possible.

Prothero

Neo Member
http://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/16/08/8294977/michael-pachter-on-electronic-arts-earnings-mirrors-edge

If he is correct, this is in line with EA's statement about Catalyst "meeting expectations".

Could someone create a new thread about this pls? I want people to understand that Catalyst isn't a bad flop sequel but just a fine new addition in the ME serie- not perfect but doing the job. (I still can't create my own threads for obscure reasons...).

If Mirror's Edge becomes reliable for around 2 million units, I don't see why we can't have more games. I'd say that this would at least be enough reason for us to have Catalyst 2.

Wrote this when I beat the game a few weeks ago:

I gave it a 6/10. There's moments where it feels like this is the sequel Dice wanted to make for the fantastic original, there's others where it feels like this is the bare minimum they needed to do. I was skipping through the story cutscenes faster than Roger Ebert on crack because it was so filled of Mirror's Edge jargon. Seriously, I don't think I've heard more uncreative methods of combining the words "grid," "hack," and "node" together into a single script than this one, and that's on top of the plot basically being the poorest rendition of "the government has control of everything!"

Outside of that, the meat and potaters of the original still shine through here, but not nearly as much. The overworld at first requires a lot of easier platforming, and the game really feels like it needs a shot of adrenaline. Later on, the overworld takes advantage of some newer abilities, and there's the odd story mission that feels reminiscent of the fun set pieces of its predecessor. The story also turns surprisingly human later on, which is a nice change from holding down my X button anytime those beautiful but compressed cutscenes popped up.

The mission design is buttkiss, there's too much garbage here due to the open world. I won't dive into it too much, it just mostly sucks. Ugh.

Would like to point out, the mission Benefactor was awesome. Reminded me of the first game which I love a lot.

Top Bottom