• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

Lima

Honestly, I never really got the point about complaining about collectables. No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to get each one

Well I didn't really complain about them.

It's just that they clearly had no idea how to fill the open world with meaningful content so they filled it with those boring diversion and delivery missions and a ton of collectibles. Textbook Ubisoft stuff.

SomTervo

Well I didn't really complain about them.

It's just that they clearly had no idea how to fill the open world with meaningful content so they filled it with those boring diversion and delivery missions and a ton of collectibles. Textbook Ubisoft stuff.

The diversion and delivery missions are about perfecting runs and improving your skills, though?

That's, like, the entire gameplay loop? Deliveries especially have leaderboards, don't they?

I like this game but here's a pretty sweet glitch I ran into yesterday:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiMaXA4KCRn7hK1wLuYqK8wnU5KkCA

Makes you wonder how cool some visual filters would be as unlockables

Lima

The diversion and delivery missions are about perfecting runs and improving your skills, though?

That's, like, the entire gameplay loop?

They hardly require "perfect" runs to complete them. You can just follow runners vision and make it every time.

The meat of this game is speed running the campaign missions (which isn't even an option right now really) and the time trials which are really good. I would have just preferred to select these from a menu like in the first one. The open world just doesn't add anything to this game.

Blizzard

Banned

That's, like, the entire gameplay loop? Deliveries especially have leaderboards, don't they?
I don't think deliveries have leaderboards. In particular, diversions and deliveries are awful compared to time trials (which DO have leaderboards) because diversions and deliveries lack the "hold R to quick-restart" feature. So, every single time you screw up, death or not, you have to kill yourself or hope the restart from checkpoint works, while waiting on the long 8-14 second reload, and THEN listen to all the voice lines again, and have your controls locked for a second or so while the canned animation plays.

I personally think the open world is cool to navigate though, and is neat because after practicing time trials etc. I start learning faster routes.

d00d3n

Wow, what happened with the (presumably, still playing it) last level of this game? The extreme height environment is moderately fun to look at, but everything gameplay wise so far has been some trial and error BS. The elevator shafts with falling debris has to be one of the most ill-conceived puzzle ideas in a AAA game ever. Just plain awful, and made worse by the "on solid ground" checkpointing that the game uses. What a shame after such an incredible journey to get to this point imo.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Wow, what happened with the (presumably, still playing it) last level of this game? The extreme height environment is moderately fun to look at, but everything gameplay wise so far has been some trial and error BS. The elevator shafts with falling debris has to be one of the most ill-conceived puzzle ideas in a AAA game ever. Just plain awful, and made worse by the "on solid ground" checkpointing that the game uses. What a shame after such an incredible journey to get to this point imo.

I didn't think it was any difficult personally. The pipes to climb are very easy to spot in the environment and the debris can be seen clearly before they fall on you in you look up. You have a good 10 seconds to move or stay still. It wasn't a particularly eventful segment, but it was in no way trial and error. I died twice, and I consider myself fairly poor at the game.

d00d3n

I didn't think it was any difficult personally. The pipes to climb are very easy to spot in the environment and the debris can be seen clearly before they fall on you in you look up. You have a good 10 seconds to move or stay still. It wasn't a particularly eventful segment, but it was in no way trial and error. I died twice, and I consider myself fairly poor at the game.

They were very difficult to spot on my 21:9 high fov setup. Basically impossible to see where they are going to fall until they are very close. I have died maybe 8 times in the two elevator shafts (thus far). The very beginning of the level (glass roof) and the transport section to get to the level (train) felt like trial and error as well.

So I finally got it for 40 bucks on Amazon. Played around 4/5 hours. Did only story stuff so far.

First, the good stuff. Running feels good. If you liked the feel of the first game, then you'll like the game feel here. There's a real sense of fluidity if you know what you're doing. Combat is better, you can do some pretty advanced fun moves if you know how to dance around the enemies. Sure they're dumb as a bag of rocks, but it's not the enemies in the first game had captivating AI. I know some people aren't a fan of how vertical some of the missions are, but I enjoyed them. I really like Faith's design. It's sexy without being sexual.

Now, with all that said, where is the AAA shine on this game? I bought it for the PS4, and I've having audio and visual glitches all over the places. Textures not loading in, or freaking out. The sound in cutscenes not syncing up properly. Some audio lines just not happening, and I'm staring at a character just emoting. It's an open world game sort of, so I kind of expect some issues, but not on this level. Sometimes the sound just cuts out for around 2-3 seconds. It's enough to take me out of the game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't remember picking it up but maybe my memory just sucks. Pretty sure you just have it suddenly once the mission starts.

There is a very small area to trigger it too, not trying to condescend or anything, just might be that!

Thanks for the help, both of you--I appreciate it. I just read the EA forums and a DICE developer said it's a glitch that is fixed in the next patch but if it is glitched now, "the damage is done" and I have to restart :(

Blizzard

Banned
You're the second person I've seen complain about that. I must have had a super lucky run, because I got that either on my first or second try maybe? I didn't even notice any puzzle elements, just moved from pipe to pipe as each one ran out. I suspect it was timed so that if you continue at that speed, it feels dramatic but nothing hits you.

You're the second person I've seen complain about that. I must have had a super lucky run, because I got that either on my first or second try maybe? I didn't even notice any puzzle elements, just moved from pipe to pipe as each one ran out. I suspect it was timed so that if you continue at that speed, it feels dramatic but nothing hits you.
I got lucky with the debris too. I can see how it would be frustrating though, it caught me once and then from that point on I just moved pipes as quickly as I could. :p

I didn't struggle with the elevator shaft pipes, but I do think it's pretty boring design for the final level of the game. I mean, you start climbing the pipes, you get killed out of nowhere, then you realise you should be looking up and waiting for an opportunity to move to the next one; that's fine. The problem is you're in the final level of this rad free-running game, and not only do you spend half of it climbing pipes (which is pretty much the least interesting thing you can do in the game), but you have to slow down even further to make sure the path is safe before you can move on.

(Plus, you have to wonder why an elevator shaft would have a bunch of pipes that just so happen to be laid out in the exact right intervals for climbing. Usually the level design is a bit more creative than that :p)

I actually think the earlier part of that level is worse, though. You're running around on glass floors that all look identical, there's no flow and no clear path ahead, and most of the time you end up having to stand in just the right spot for the Magrope prompt to come up. It feels like the designers just assumed you'd have Full Runner Vision on and didn't bother to make the level work without it.

Blizzard

Banned
I can see both of those flaws, but then I got to the final sections where you're so high up and there are interesting level visuals and I forgave everything. :p

Wis

Neo Member
Unfortunately I think the last portion of the game was rushed out. The visuals are amazing, but the game design is really a throw back from all you've been through in the game.
It seems they did not have the time to actually make a proper interesting level to play.
The elevator shaft is the lowest part of the game IMHO, and when I saw it was used multiple times I could not believe to my eyes.
The rest is just magroping and breaking glass. How weak gameplay wise. :(

d00d3n

The difficulty of that section may be partially related to fov compared with display size and display resolution I guess. I still think it was a very repetitive and boring idea to use repeatedly in the last level of the game, though.

Unfortunately I think the last portion of the game was rushed out. The visuals are amazing, but the game design is really a throw back from all you've been through in the game.
It seems they did not have the time to actually make a proper interesting level to play.
The elevator shaft is the lowest part of the game IMHO, and when I saw it was used multiple times I could not believe to my eyes.
The rest is just magroping and breaking glass. How weak gameplay wise. :(

Yeah, it seemed rushed. After completing the horrible elevator shafts you get into an area that reminds you of the giant atrium from Mirror's Edge 1. It was devastating to realize that this seemingly interesting area was just a succession of magrope jumps (with a couple of instant death breakable glass floors thrown in ... "to make things interesting" I guess?).

jem0208

The last mission was definitely the worst imo.

It had some cool moments like swinging up on the blades but the elevator section was terrible and climbing up the broken glass was boring as well. Basically devolved into hunting for the grapple point.

Ennosuke

It had some cool moments like swinging up on the blades but the elevator section was terrible and climbing up the broken glass was boring as well. Basically devolved into hunting for the grapple point.

Well not the most difficult one, but I liked the atmosphere. The Shard was still very cool, like in the original game, bur the running could have been better.

I've been reading most of this thread but may have missed a bit. Just collected all the gridleaks but the gold trophy didn't drop!

All areas show complete collection. Anything I could've missed?

Shaanyboi

Banned

Pretty much. Awesome views but the actual climbing was so uninvolved.

god, how I hate it when the the red "start" line at dashes isn't where the actual start trigger for the dash is. Especially if your shortest route involves going diagonally through it.

I guess there are fifteen missions and fifteen side missions? At least, that's what I read on another site.

If true, I'm getting close to the end. I just finished the 10th mission IIRC; the one where
you have to clear routes so that they can go after a high value target

I've done 7 side missions thus far.

Someone placed a hold on the game at the library, so I've gotta' finish it before the 29th. Should be easy, even though I've got other things on my plate.

New patch for PC was released today:
https://forums.mirrorsedge.com/discussion/2546/game-update-notes-june-27th#latest

PC:
- Fixed various issues that could cause crashes
- Decreased stuttering during the cut scenes for low end dual core hyper threading CPUs
- Fixed cases where using the disruptor to disable fans could not be done from certain angles
- Fixed some issues related to applying video settings
- Fixed an issue where the timer for various types of missions would be incorrectly displayed
- Mission screen now shows the personal best time rather than the latest
- Fragile deliveries, Covert deliveries and Diversions are now listed on the missions screen and can be replayed

etta

my hard graphic balls
How does this run on 2GB of VRAM? I feel like buying this now and the 1070 isn't in stock right now.

cme

Neo Member
So curious to see how much it's sold so far. I imagine it did terribly which is infuriating but it was a horribly handled release.

Ye Gods this open world map is huge. I thought it was sprawling and complex already and that was before sprinting, sliding, swinging and wall-run-reverse-flip-grabbing my way into Eden Village, Ocean Pier and Regatta Bay. These areas not only further open up like ridiculously fun hypercubes of meditative mediaglyphic traversal space, but are also some of the most beautiful vistas and pristine interiors, and where the music settles into a wonderful electronic groove while you truck along.

Am still loving the hell out of this game as its only gotten better the further I've gone into it. As many an open world (but not all), the more you learn the circuitous ins and outs of each zone, its cul-de-sacs and shortcuts and chokepoint connections between city blocks, the more fun those inevitable chase sequences become, and the more you shift focus from primary navigation of the where-the-fuck-am-I-again? variety into nailing the best speed run as move from place A to place B.

Its far from perfect, but the premise still shows tremendous potential, a good amount of which is explored here.

Blizzard

Banned
How does this run on 2GB of VRAM? I feel like buying this now and the 1070 isn't in stock right now.
It's run quite well (70 fps?) on my GTX 770 2GB with medium settings, ultra or higher textures, 1680x1050. Not all textures get loaded but it still usually looks decent.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's run quite well (70 fps?) on my GTX 770 2GB with medium settings, ultra or higher textures, 1680x1050. Not all textures get loaded but it still usually looks decent.

Hmmm, thanks, it's downloading now. I really liked the trial on Xbox One, I was initially going to wait until it was added to the vault for EA Access but I was genuinely impressed by it.
My GTX 680 runs pretty hot with 60fps games and during summer, I might just lock it to 30fps and max it out in the end.

Blizzard

Banned
Hmmm, thanks, it's downloading now. I really liked the trial on Xbox One, I was initially going to wait until it was added to the vault for EA Access but I was genuinely impressed by it.
My GTX 680 runs pretty hot with 60fps games and during summer, I might just lock it to 30fps and max it out in the end.
For some games I'd say 30 fps maxed is fine, but for Mirror's Edge and Catalyst I highly recommend getting close to 60 if you can. The feel is so important for smoothly navigating, especially if you're doing anything timing-sensitive like races.

corin7

Neo Member
I finally got around to dumping a couple hours into this over the weekend, and damn I don't get the hate. Easily enjoying it as much as the first if not more so. I have feeling much like the first game in a couple years people are going to look back on this game as an under appreciated gem. Could fall apart further in tho I suppose.

etta

my hard graphic balls
For some games I'd say 30 fps maxed is fine, but for Mirror's Edge and Catalyst I highly recommend getting close to 60 if you can. The feel is so important for smoothly navigating, especially if you're doing anything timing-sensitive like races.
Yea I'll prioritize 60fps if I can, but my room literally turns into an oven when I play Rainbow Six Siege at 60fps AND 75% fanspeed, GPU temps at 73-75C.
I'm planning to get a 1070 soon anyway, so that will run much cooler.

Spoit

Hmm did they do something to the AA or LoD with this patch? I'm probably just seeing things, but it feels like it's a lot cleaner, or the textures are actually loading properly or something

Wis

Neo Member
I'd like to share two more Trials I've created, please tell me what you think of them. ;)

Loft Mayhem http://develop.pamplona.dice.se/timetrial/286352804/d78f7e50-3a57-11e6-94f0-af551c397106

Zipliner to the End http://develop.pamplona.dice.se/timetrial/286352804/99ba8750-3cbe-11e6-9bca-c7c2354dfc0a

I've also dropped some triangles here and there. I've had a hard time finding again some of them myself. XD

Oh, man, I've dropped to red2. I've to stop searching for collectibles and start running again. ^__^

etta

my hard graphic balls
Daaaaaaaaaamn, the city is so beautiful. Man I wish I could live until we'd have architecture like this lol. Looks amazeballs ;_;
Oh and I'm running it pretty well at 60fps. Mostly medium, lighting on high, the 1080p still looks a bit blurry but a significant improvement over the Xbox version when it comes to just admiring the design of the city.

I tried reporting some with the website leaderboard thing, but I don't know if EA is even checking. There's basically no community interaction.
That sucks :/
Daaaaaaaaaamn, the city is so beautiful. Man I wish I could live until we'd have architecture like this lol. Looks amazeballs ;_;
Oh and I'm running it pretty well at 60fps. Mostly medium, lighting on high, the 1080p still looks a bit blurry but a significant improvement over the Xbox version when it comes to just admiring the design of the city.
Nice! Just running around atm clearing up some side stuff while listening to Grimes. So much fun.

Wis

Neo Member
I think Dice is checking the leaderboards actively. Two days ago I was pushed back to Red2, but the day after I was again in Red1 with me doing nothing to increase my position. I don't see how that could be possible without them purging some cheater from the top.

Wis

Neo Member
It seems I can't get better results than top 15% on Caleb's Run. Do you have any advices/routes/whatever? Thanks.

Top Bottom