• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Number one has a good 9 seconds on the top two percent? How?!

Blizzard

Banned
Number one has a good 9 seconds on the top two percent? How?!
I'm assuming many of the #1-#3 spots are hackers, especially since they tend to have all-caps names and crazy low times, sometimes < 1 second. I tried reporting that particular player who has a bunch of apparently impossible #1 times, but their times are still up. You can report using the mirrorsedge.com site.

I wish you could see ghosts partly for this reason, because you could easily see some hackers and at least point it out to try to convince DICE to remove the times.

PaulloDEC

Just finished Catalyst earlier today. I generally consider the original Mirror's Edge to be one of my favourite games of all time, and I've replayed it a bunch of times since 2008. Generally speaking I had a good time with Catalyst, but there's also plenty of areas where I felt the game was a step down from the original.

1) This didn't need to be an open-world game.
This one is kind of a bummer, because the idea of an open-world ME game sounds amazing on paper. Making your way to your destinations across the open rooftops ought to be great fun, right? Well, occasionally. Unfortunately most of the time stepping away from the familiar red breadcrumbs will result in you becoming hopelessly lost away from the critical path, and it'll frequently become clear that not following the intended path will put you miles away from that single narrow bridge that represents the only way to reach your destination.

Add to that the fact that much of your time will be spent heading back and forth along the same paths between two or three particular points and it'll become clear that there's just not much point in all of this. People who love sniffing out collectibles might enjoy themselves, but...

2) Collectibles are making me stop in a game about running.
I like collecting stuff in games as much as anyone, but this is a game about running. I want to be blazing along the rooftops like a stylish blur, but having to sit through a six second animation every time I spot a chip or whatever (and I spotted an absolute shitload of them) just messes with my flow.

On the plus side of this, the data leaks did this right. Putting the collectibles in places where I'm going to be running anyway challenges me to take different paths each time I race by, which is something I enjoy doing anyway.

3) The most pointless upgrade system of all time.
I mean, I don't even need to elaborate on this do I? We all agree already, yeah?

4) WHY ARE YOU STILL PUTTING ME IN MANDATORY COMBAT SCENARIOS.
Seriously.

5) Faith just isn't very likeable.
I'm one of those deviants who really liked the cool, collected Faith of the original game, so the version of the character here, who flits between verge-of-tears teenage angst and girl-power "touch me and I'll break your arm!" fierceness didn't really do it for me. I just found her kind of annoying, frankly.

That's enough complaining for now. The good stuff:

1) Movement is a joy.
I'm not sure exactly what's changed in this one, but moving around as Faith feels fantastic. Everything is super fluid and works in the logical ways you'd expect them to.

2) It looks pretty dang nice.
The original was a crazily sexy game, and so is this. It's less of an exciting new thing this time, but still. Pretty.

3) It has some great areas in the main story campaign.
This is where the game shines brightest for me. Take me away from the dull open world and drop me into these deliberately-crafted areas and I'm a happy camper.

4) The grid-nodes are pretty sweet too.
These are the only bits of side content I really loved. Great little challenge areas that I was always happy to have a crack at.

5) Sometimes the combat is great.
Controversial, I know. The bits I'm talking about are the ones that only last for a second; it's when you're using your left-click attacks on chumps who stand in your path while you're moving at high speed. It feels great to blaze through with a kick or a punch, and I wish the game afforded me more opportunities to do so.

So there we go. It sounds like I'm more negative towards this game than I am positive, but I really did enjoy myself during my ten-ish hours. I'm also just a picky fan of the original.

Speaking of, I think it's time for another replay.

I agree with pretty much everything in the above post with one exception. I don't actually believe the movement mechanics in this game are a step up from the previous one.

Discounting the annoying unlock system, which forces you to unlock the basics like rolling and tucking, the movement feels oddly weightless in Catalyst compared to the first game. One improvement in Catalyst is the more forgiving 'pipe-grabbing' mechanics. In the first game, you could miss a pipe by a mere inch and fall to your death but, in Catalyst, you really have to be trying to miss to fail to grab on. On the other hand, I've also found that vaulting off boxes and ledges is super finicky in Catalyst compared to the first game and I've run into countless instances where Faith has ended up stuck inside the geometry. The latter is super annoying and I can't remember it ever happening in ME1.

*Splinter

Re: Giant fans

Don't stop, just keep tapping circle as you approach the fan. There's a bit of a delay so it'll LOOK like it failed, but the fan will explode just before you get to it and you'll be able to run through even though it's still spinning.

Got my Red Division 1 on dashes last night. Only optimised about half my times, but got most of them into the top 1%, and even had a 3rd place on High Roller Avenue :D

Working on collectibles for the platinum next. Was trying without a guide but I can't even find the secret bags in some areas :/

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure whether to curse you or thank you. I was stuck at 19.94 on Under Construction last night. Watching your run gave me some ideas on how to improve and now...

My first and only Top 2% so far. I want more now! I didn't even think of the wall run right off the bat so thanks for that. Pretty much the same otherwise except I went through the doorway instead of around it like you did.

I've been working on getting top 5% on all the Dashes and I'm pretty sure you helped knock me out of it on Under Construction. So I had to grind it again and...

2016-06-1812-46-53.mpw9u0s.jpg

Yeah. :p My best with my old route was 19.66, so thanks to both of you for the motivation and giving me some ideas. :>

EDIT: Yooo, got my first top 10! :D

PC, i5 3570k / 970, not running on a SSD. Still getting insane stuttering in the cutscenes, audio winding up 5+ seconds behind the video. Kind of pissed this hasn't been fixed yet. (The game itself, on mostly Hyper settings, runs damn near flawlessly.)

*Splinter

Well this sucks, replaying Benefactor when it happens to be night... I guess it's forced to day time when you first play it, because there are zero light sources in this level. The early parts weren't too bad, but past a certain point I've just been stumbling around in the dark. I'm trying to find collectibles but it's hard enough just to find the way to progress at the moment.

Awakened

PC, i5 3570k / 970, not running on a SSD. Still getting insane stuttering in the cutscenes, audio winding up 5+ seconds behind the video. Kind of pissed this hasn't been fixed yet. (The game itself, on mostly Hyper settings, runs damn near flawlessly.)
Do you have Vsync off? This only happens for me in prerendered cutscenes when it's off. It's very annoying since the game runs much smoother for me with it off, so I have to try to predict when a prerendered cutscene is coming up and turn it on beforehand. I'm running in borderless window mode on a non-gsync 120hz monitor.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finished this today. Didn't read in detail on any reviews, so if this is a common opinion, so be it.

I found this game very meh. Agree with a previous poster that it didn't need to be open world. It hurt the experience, and I adore open world games. The original knew what it wanted to do, and stuck to the formula. This game felt like it didn't know what it wanted to be.

For one, it took itself way too seriously. The original was a fun nonsensical game, and this game tried to get all serious and emotional with the story and whatnot. That isn't what Mirror's Edge is about for me.

Even though it is open world, since this is a free running game, you always want to take the fastest route or path of least resistance to keep the gameplay running smoothly, so I find myself taking the same damn routes everywhere anyway, making open world not even feel like an open world. Totally pointless.

Lame sidequests and collectibles that made Assassin's Creed ones feel like a joy. No desire whatsoever to do any of them.

Too many parts where you slow down, and too much backtracking. You can't unlock all fast travel points until the game lets you, which defeats the purpose, because by then you will have backtracked a billion times, using the same damn routes... ughhhh.

Forced combat - shouldn't have been in it IMO. I think you should have been able to skip combat through the entire game if you desired, but some parts flat out forced you to advance. Didn't like that at all.

Some annoyances in the level, building designs which made running/climbing a chore, but these weren't in abundance, so the least of my complaints.

I beat the game and I immediately shelved it. Just very disappointed.

Here are my runs for Under Construction and Feature Creep. The Under Construction video features a tiny speed up near the beginning that I haven't seen in other videos and the Feature Creep video has a fun glitch at the end where I get massive air from a jump off a wall run. I've seen other people get that glitch, so it might be reproducible, at least at that spot.
And here I thought I had a near perfected run. Thanks a TON for this.

Lakitu

st5fu
Holy fuck, the K-Sec spawns on the rooftop and the K-Sec cameras are easily the worst thing about this game. It would be great if there wasn't a camera every 5 feet.

Lijik

Even though it is open world, since this is a free running game, you always want to take the fastest route or path of least resistance to keep the gameplay running smoothly, so I find myself taking the same damn routes everywhere anyway, making open world not even feel like an open world. Totally pointless.

I think my biggest annoyance is a lot of the time, the path of least resistance is the only path. I gave up trying to subvert my runner vision when it became clear in the second or third area everything is weirdly bottlenecked so i'd need to follow it anyways

I assume that this is the only (or at least, easiest) way the time trials out in the city could work but in that case I'd have preferred they opened up fast travel a lot earlier since you wind up running the same paths a lot even if you're just mainlining the game for a bit.

Spoit

I think my biggest annoyance is a lot of the time, the path of least resistance is the only path. I gave up trying to subvert my runner vision when it became clear in the second or third area everything is weirdly bottlenecked so i'd need to follow it anyways

I assume that this is the only (or at least, easiest) way the time trials out in the city could work but in that case I'd have preferred they opened up fast travel a lot earlier since you wind up running the same paths a lot even if you're just mainlining the game for a bit.

Seriously, try turning off runner vision altogether.

Ennosuke

I am close now tp finishing the main story. Those missions are equally good as in the original. Although it would have been great if we had like 20 missions.

But I like the open world,because I get slowly a feeling for this city as a whole. Most of the time it has been fun for me running from mission to mission, because I love to collect those gridnotes or doing a random time challenge. When I had enough I went to the mission.

I don't know if I am the only person on this planet, but some parts of this city look so amazing and in combination with the music, I am literally in love with this game. The area with all the sakura trees, is one of the best things I have seen in video games. And day night cycle is awesome as well.

I read earlier here that the new faith is not as likable as the original one. And indeed she seems way too much like a teen in puberty. Might sound a little bit harsh, sort of stands out.

So after a bit of a wary start with it, I'm really loving this game now. The main levels are incredible, and though I still would have preferred they go wide linear, as opposed to fully open world, a lot of the open world stuff is enjoyable. Just sucks to traverse the same regions repeatedly, especially early on when you don't have a lot of safehouses.

Very much enjoying the characters as well - Faith is so much better in this game, mostly in the voice acting department. It doesn't help that I'm just not a huge fan of jules de jongh's voice character in general.

Also, DEAR UBISOFT - this is how you do open world tower captures (ie. gridnodes): some actual fucking challenge and level design required.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I've been working on getting top 5% on all the Dashes and I'm pretty sure you helped knock me out of it on Under Construction. So I had to grind it again and...

Yeah. :p My best with my old route was 19.66, so thanks to both of you for the motivation and giving me some ideas. :>

WHAT?! NOOOOOOO! Wait...

Ah, nevermind. :D

OK DONE. I had two at 10%, finally cracked those routes.... but then I had two different ones at 5%, so might as well get those up to 3+ with the rest right =X. Phew. Time to retire, chasing some of these better times is too crazy.

Wis

Neo Member
Yay, I just hit Red1 myself (Wis76).
I've still a couple of 10% though, I guess those 3s, 2s and 1% have an higher division value.

The library got it in today, and has it on hold for me, so I'll pick it up and play through it soon. What I played of the trial was pretty meh, but I want to play through it once for completion's sake. I beat the first one, which was alright but very repetitive and boring at times.

This isn't a series I'd ever give more than $5 or $10 to, so I'm glad they ordered it.

neohwa

Just like the first game, I kept asking myself why this game isn't in 3rd person. 1st person platforming is really wrong. The wall run would have looked so cool like in prince of persia if in 3rd person.

*Splinter

Just like the first game, I kept asking myself why this game isn't in 3rd person. 1st person platforming is really wrong. The wall run would have looked so cool like in prince of persia if in 3rd person.
Well it would be just another Prince of Persia clone in 3rd person. Its kind of unqiue for a 1st person game, and more interesting for it.

Finished it yesterday. It's not a bad game, but it feels like a really unfocused one. The controls were hit or miss in a lot of sections, the forced combat parts were really awful, and the comment about it not needing to be open world was spot on. I ended up taking mostly the same paths to every place , and the upgrade system was pretty useless outside of disrupt. Side quests were mostly uninteresting and repetitive. Finally, the story was pretty weak, and I didn't care for anyone in the game except Plastic.

That being said, I pretty much liked the main missions, the graphics (the view at the top of the final level was awesome), and the soundtrack.

7/10 for me.

Kyrios

Finished it yesterday. It's not a bad game, but it feels like a really unfocused one. The controls were hit or miss in a lot of sections, the forced combat parts were really awful, and the comment about it not needing to be open world was spot on. I ended up taking mostly the same paths to every place , and the upgrade system was pretty useless outside of disrupt. Side quests were mostly uninteresting and repetitive. Finally, the story was pretty weak, and I didn't care for anyone in the game except Plastic.

That being said, I pretty much liked the main missions, the graphics (the view at the top of the final level was awesome), and the soundtrack.

7/10 for me.

Just beat the game a few minutes ago and this is literally my take on the game, every single point.

Sadly walked away really disappointed after loving the original.

Paganmoon

Ok, finished main story now, and I have to say, my first impression held throughout the story. They needed to tone down the DRAMA, and over reactive dialog a lot for it to be better. It really was B-tier and predictable writing. Something that really detracted from the game, made it worse than what it really could be.

And considering this OT's speed, and that (very anecdotally of course) not a single person on my friends list seems to be playing this, I wouldn't hold hopes up for a sequel or another reboot. Really strange that the devs/writers thought they had a chance by leaving the ending so open.

Edit: To clarify a bit, there were parts of the story, and dialog, both in main and side missions that were good, and pulled you in, but every now and then, you had this overly dramatic dialog (with very little buildup or even emotion in it), or over reactions, or even under reactions at times, and it really brought the whole thing down.

*Splinter

Okay, for instance when it is top 5% I'm in the top 5 % of all players?
Yeah that's right. And if you get into the top 20 it tells you your position instead of a percentage (so #5 instead of 1%)

I want it to be day time so I can take a screenshot. I've been jumping to my death for an hour and it's still night time :/

I hate pointless day/night cycles so, so much.

A-V-B

Yeah that's right. And if you get into the top 20 it tells you your position instead of a percentage (so #5 instead of 1%)

I want it to be day time so I can take a screenshot. I've been jumping to my death for an hour and it's still night time :/

I hate pointless day/night cycles so, so much.

Oh man, is night time killing you like crazy too? What area are you in?

kami_sama

Does anyone know of a way to disable the driver checking at the start?
It seems that the latest Nvidia drivers are fucked up and don't want to update :(

*Splinter

Oh man, is night time killing you like crazy too? What area are you in?
The Anansi tower. I've climbed as high as I can get (there's a YouTube video that gave me the rough idea) and now I just want a screenshot of the city.

I intentionally started the climb at dawn, and got here just after the end of the day -.-

Earlier I also replayed the mission 'Benefactor' (same area) when it happened to be night, and it was miserable. Never start a daytime mission during the night, there are huge areas with no lights at all.

Edit: Yeah brightness is set to max. It's fine in most areas, just certain missions and parts of the construction area aren't lit properly.

A-V-B

The Anansi tower. I've climbed as high as I can get (there's a YouTube video that gave me the rough idea) and now I just want a screenshot of the city.

I intentionally started the climb at dawn, and got here just after the end of the day -.-

Earlier I also replayed the mission 'Benefactor' (same area) when it happened to be night, and it was miserable. Never start a daytime mission during the night, there are huge areas with no lights at all.

Are you playing without Runner's Vision?

*Splinter

What the fuck? That looks horrifically glitched. The city at night is not supposed to look like that.
Really?

PS4. I do have fov set to max which definitely makes the middle look worse (that Anansi sign is large and clear at the edge of my screen, small and unreadable if I look right at it.)

I'm also quite a long way up and out of bounds, not sure how much difference that makes

ClVYtpsWQAAGNGI.jpg

That glass platform my cursor is on is about the highest you get in free roam without going out of bounds.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
AGTrigger_ put together an all-platform leaderboard:

https://mecleaderboard.firebaseapp.com/

WHAT?! NOOOOOOO! Wait...

Ah, nevermind. :D

:X

There were so few 3s..... I couldn't let it pass >_>;;;

I need to uninstall this game now before I go completely insane. Scenic Route will haunt my dreams for a while.

Dang, nice work! It does get pretty maddening chasing those differences of milliseconds though. :p

Out of curiosity, what route do you use on Caleb's Run? That's the Dash I have the most trouble improving in... through the room on the right and then wall run up the side? Over the umbrellas?

Lakitu

st5fu
Holy fuck, that last mission was beyond epic.

But that ending, good lord. Talk about terrible.
And considering sales aren't going to be that great, it's very doubtful we'll get a sequel. They should have just finished the story then and there.

Overall, I loved it. Done every side mission... the rest of the time for me will just be messing around in the world looking for bags, doing time trials/dashes and deliveries.

It's lived up to the original in my eyes, it's a fantastic follow-up. Amazing art direction, good level design, beautiful soundtrack and a fun open-world to explore.

My main negative point besides the ending is the combat: felt shoehorned into a lot of missions and it was not engaging at all. I really hated using combat in the game.

Brilliant game though, it's everything I wanted. Even with the bad stuff. Still can't get that last mission out of my mind, so memorable. I actually wish more missions were similar to that.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
:X

BEAT ME BY .2 AGAIN[IMG]

Dang, nice work! It does get pretty maddening chasing those differences of milliseconds though. :P[/QUOTE]

Gah! Have pity on my poor hands! They were cramping up working through Donkey in an Oven. And looking at the leaderboard I just now realized that you're one spot ahead of me on that one.

I notice you're only .03 out of the top 1%. Surely you can get that!

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FkHlXDN.jpg

The double wall climb is the bane of my existence on that one. Either I hit Q too early and don't make it high enough to get a clean jump or I grab the top of the billboard.

Top Bottom