• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

Wis

Neo Member
With a 970 (MSI) I'm getting a solid 60 fps on Hyper for most of the scenes at 1080p (just two or three spots with water and a lot of reflecting surfaces seem to tax the gpu a bit).
I was skeptical about the new graphic style at first (maybe because I just admire so much the first one), but it grew on me immensely during the game...
I freaking love it now.

Melon Husk

I'm getting a feel from this thread that history is repeating which means I'll enjoy it immensely but EA won't be pleased with the sales.

With a 970 (MSI) I'm getting a solid 60 fps on Hyper for most of the scenes at 1080p (just two or three spots with water and a lot of reflecting surfaces seem to tax the gpu a bit).
I was skeptical about the new graphic style at first (maybe because I just admire so much the first one), but it grew on me immensely during the game...
I freaking love it now.

I'm really not sure how on earth you're getting 60 fps on Hyper on a 970. Have you actually checked the framerate?

I'm getting a feel from this thread that history is repeating which means I'll enjoy it immensely but EA won't be pleased with the sales.

Spot on ... the history of ME... reviews are just garbage - design and ambiance of the game are just so creative and it's a shame it is slammed left and right for no reason.

Just got the platinum trophy after finishing up all the collectibles.

Very enjoyable game, ran very well on PS4, snappy controls. Story was forgettable but that's not what I play the game for. Too much teenage angst for my liking but it wasn't offensive in its storytelling, cutscenes were relatively short, kept to a minimum and didn't hinder the gameplay loop (and luckily you can skip them during mission replays)

I sincerely hope EA keeps "smaller" games like this in their portfolio. The game is polished but it caters to a certain smaller audience I guess, so hopefully it will sell well enough.

I'm really not sure how on earth you're getting 60 fps on Hyper on a 970. Have you actually checked the framerate.
If you have the VRAM limit setting on then you can select hyper on a 970 but it doesn't do anything above ultra. So it's possible to get 60fps because the game is just running on ultra.

Anyway, jealous as fuck of your 1070, hope you have a good time with it! :)

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a big fan of the first Mirror's Edge (well, that's a bit of an understatement: I think it's one of the games I'd bring with me on a deserted island), and I'm genuinely in love with this sequel.
I would not have bet a dime on it, just from the trailers, but the beta sold me the game and here I am, full of love for this new awesome work from Dice.

I'm on the last mission and already 3 starred all dashes, so I tried to make a custom Time Trial in one of the many underused environments (one I fell in love with on first sight).
Please feel free to play them and tell me what you think.

Thank you very much. ^__^

Here's my profile:

http://www.mirrorsedge.com/map/profile/286352804

You can bookmark the Time Trials from there and then 'unbookmark' those later after you've played it (or keep them, if you like them).

If you have any advice on some good Time Trials you've played please share them (hope this is not too much of an off topic issue, otherwise I'll just edit the message).

Dude, nice work on these - that area is one of my favorites as well and I really enjoyed both of your Time Trials. The Descent is cool because it requires some fine tuning on your wallrun angles and Archways is a lot of fun because chaining vertical wallruns is my jam. Only downside is that messing up on The Descent usually equals death and the loading time was kinda long on it (probably because it's so close to the transition into the Anchor District?).

I bookmarked you, looking forward to any more TTs you make. ^^ Also, would you be ok with me uploading videos of me playing your UGC?

jem0208

Just finished the story. Honestly I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as many claim. It had some cheesy writing and some of the characters weren't great (Plastic was just terribe) but overall I thought it was fairly enjoyable. There were a couple of twists I didn't see coming and it kept my interest throughout.

Definitely a few lose ends left hanging though.
Also does it completely disregard the original's storyline?

commissar

I sincerely hope EA keeps "smaller" games like this in their portfolio. The game is polished but it caters to a certain smaller audience I guess, so hopefully it will sell well enough.
This kind of game feels like one with a core audience likely to buy lots of DLC which expands and changes the existing open world
COUGH COUGH, EA :D

cme

Neo Member
It came in #2 in sales in the UK under Overwatch. I'm hoping sales will have more longevity like the first game, but it seems like it could end up being frontloaded and overshadowed a lot (E3/competition). Which means it may be doomed to the same sales pattern as the first game, a good amount of sales but over a long extended period of time (and at a much lower price).

Wis

Neo Member
Dude, nice work on these ...
I bookmarked you, looking forward to any more TTs you make. ^^ Also, would you be ok with me uploading videos of me playing your UGC?
Hey Man, thanks!
I had a lot of fun trying to beat your time on Descent. ;)
Feel free to make all the videos you like, and tell me when you do!
I'll add you to my favorites asap.

Oozer3993

I will revel in my achievement for the handful of hours it will last until I get passed by better runners. Red 1! Top 5% or better in every dash.

7JV1U8x.png

thumb

Banned
BTW, anyone seen the huge neon "SLOTH" sign on the building in Crystal Valley? Favorite City of Glass corporate brand by far.

I always wear SLOTH brand clothing when I free run.

Blizzard

Banned
I fear the main difference is that ME1 had legs due to Steam sales, but ME2 isn't on Steam at all. It was basically the only game that would get me to install Origin, so EA won there...but I wasn't happy about it.

Spoit

I still can't figure out how to actually turn off the AA, but turning off DoF, using the console command PostProcess.ForceDofEnable helped the blurriness a bit

Xevren

I will revel in my achievement for the handful of hours it will last until I get passed by better runners. Red 1! Top 5% or better in every dash.

Daaaamn, good stuff! I finally finished up the game and starting to do dash runs and improve mine. Still have a ways to go.

Don't think I'm going to bother with the platinum, too many collectibles and just don't think I can do that.

Garland7G

Just finished it. I liked the story...
I really loved the gameplay and the new Faith. And personally I'm just happy to have played another Mirror's Edge game. Thanks Dice for making it!

d00d3n

How do i "hack the nearby gridNode" to unlock fast travel to a safehouse? I have progressed a fair bit into the game
just got the magrope and opened up a huge affluent area
, but still don't have a single available fast travel point. I can't even fast travel to the runner HQ. I just had to reload a checkpoint to progress with the game, because I had jumped to an impossible spot (some cube sticking out of a wall out of reach of anything else).

Xevren

How do i "hack the nearby gridNode" to unlock fast travel to a safehouse? I have progressed a fair bit into the game
just got the magrope and opened up a huge affluent area
, but still don't have a single available fast travel point. I can't even fast travel to the runner HQ. I just had to reload a checkpoint to progress with the game, because I had jumped to an impossible spot (some cube sticking out of a wall out of reach of anything else).

Keep advancing the story, you have to do 1 for a main mission then they'll be available around. If one isn't around in a specific area just keep advancing the story and it will pop up.

d00d3n

Keep advancing the story, you have to do 1 for a main mission then they'll be available around. If one isn't around in a specific area just keep advancing the story and it will pop up.

Thanks, I will progress with the main story I guess.

Latest PC patch seems to like... Reconnect my PC to my TV every time there's a loading screen. Like I get the HDMI input pop up at the top left as if I've just selected HDMI 2 or just plugged something in.

Only happens when using Exclusive Fullscreen and happens literally every time there's a loading screen after death. Hmm.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I hit Red 1 too! :D Probably not for long but I'm just happy to see that slick badge.

Finished up getting 3 stars on all Dashes yesterday and then spent tonight improving my times... Rezoning Dash is by far the hardest race for me to rank up on (and my worst at only top 20% :| ) - it's so competitive since it's more about optimization than any alternate routes as far as I can tell. My favorite Dashes are actually the longer ones like The Scenic Route and Quite A View, but they're all a lot of fun in their own ways. Between the built-in races and UGC, I'm probably going to continue sinking an incredible amount of time into this game...

But maybe I should finish the story now. :p

Hey Man, thanks!
I had a lot of fun trying to beat your time on Descent. ;)
Feel free to make all the videos you like, and tell me when you do!
I'll add you to my favorites asap.
Nice! Now I gotta grind out Descent again, hehe.

I have footage of both my record runs, just gotta find the time to export 'em. Will let you know when the videos are up. I figured out a way to get the quick climb on the initial wallrun to the beam in Archways and just do 1 roll on the stairwell, I think if you incorporated those you could get a monstrous time.

commissar

Latest PC patch seems to like... Reconnect my PC to my TV every time there's a loading screen. Like I get the HDMI input pop up at the top left as if I've just selected HDMI 2 or just plugged something in.

Only happens when using Exclusive Fullscreen and happens literally every time there's a loading screen after death. Hmm.
Same. It messes with dragging the FOV and Gamma sliders too as it resets the mouse to centre screen. Not awesome :/

scitek

This latest update completely fucked the game up for me on PC. I have a 4KTV, so it sets it to 4K/30Hz and won't let me change it to 1080p 120Hz anymore. What a fucking disaster. I'm thinking of just playing at 30fps and finishing the game at 1800p or something.

Blizzard

Banned
Patch notes on the forum say they improved hardware detection so that might be why. I definitely recommend posting with your system specs and reporting the bug while they're still reading feedback. :(

Ennosuke

has this game not done well, incredibly quiet OT for a new game that had a lot of hype

It will end like the original game. Everybody will love it in 2 years, because on PC it looks amazing, the city is a huge playground, gameplay is unique and the OST is awesome. But right now most people are not judging the game right.

*Splinter

Some weird omissions in this game. As far as I can tell you only race against echo's in user created time trials, not in Dash or story missions.

Story missions have no leaderboards, in fact the time displayed is your most recent time rather than your best :s

That's really hurting the replayability for me. Hope we get some abstract time-trial based DLC like in ME1

*Splinter

Some weird omissions in this game. As far as I can tell you only race against echo's in user created time trials, not in Dash or story missions.

Story missions have no leaderboards, in fact the time displayed is your most recent time rather than your best :s

That's really hurting the replayability for me. Hope we get some abstract time-trial based DLC like in ME1

On top of this, there's no time penalty for dying. I just spent a good hour exploring the first level for shortcuts etc, but my time at the end only says 22 minutes (overwriting my previous time of 9 minutes). I guess every time it puts you back to checkpoint it puts the timer back as well.

The open world shit is nice, but it only lasts me a few days. This should have been the part that makes me keep coming back for more.

I'm incredibly slow at playing this game, lol. But I just made my first "Top 3%" in a Dash (it was "Under Construction"). I think these Dashes are my favorite part of the game. It's just great going "OK, this isn't going to get much better, why am I still only Top 10%? Hmmm, what if I go left instead of right around these staircases". These small optimizations are so great, I enjoy them even more than finding big alternative routs.

Lakitu

st5fu
Started playing today for a few hours and I'm in love. Everything I loved about the first game is here: nice atmosphere and art direction, incredible soundtrack, fun/addictive platforming and momentum, level design... it's splendid. DICE did a great job.

Admittedly I'm not enjoying the combat that much (didn't in the first game either) and I thought the game graphically would have looked better than what we got. But they are just some minor grievances.

Thanks DICE for giving me the sequel I've been wanting for so long. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

I tried one of the package deliveries (Tree of Life) and I seem to be stuck on it. I have to cross a bridge to get to another section of the city where the other person is located but there's no way to get up due to some weird fencing.

Blizzard

Banned
I tried one of the package deliveries (Tree of Life) and I seem to be stuck on it. I have to cross a bridge to get to another section of the city where the other person is located but there's no way to get up due to some weird fencing.
General advice for new players is, if you get stuck on a delivery, WAIT. For some you may need special gear or powers; otherwise you will bang your head against a wall.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone remember if diversions showed you the second group on your map after you finish the first group, prepatch? I'm playing one post-patch, and I could see the first target. Once I got there, the second showed up on my HUD but not the map.

Oozer3993

I am now Top 3% or better in every Dash. And Top 2% or better in 17 of the 22. But I think I have hit my limit. Grinding from 4% to 3% was tough. And I am plenty happy with being top 3%

thumb

Banned
Well, shit. I got three stars on all the dashes and the trophy didn't pop. Any suggestions?

Edit - Duh, there's an underground dash.

jdstorm

Banned
Just finished the campaign. (I'm guessing it took me roughly 7-8 hours) and it probably would have been quicker. I have lots of good things to say about it, but I think I will save that for a RTTP/LTTP retrospective post. Which will likely be a 5000+ word love letter.
RTTP: Mirrors Edge/Catalyst : Thank You for creating ME

Combat was pretty good all things considering, only the final boss fight was tedius as I virtually never bothered to upgrade the combat skill tree.
Running was fun, but being able to swap the jump/slide buttons would be nice.

This is the 1st full priced game I have bought in 12 months, and I'd love to be able to buy DLC that builds and expands this world. Even if it is overpriced

Blizzard

Banned
I probably shouldn't give away all our Super Secret Speedrunning (tm) tips, but here are some mechanical things Machina and I figured out:

• Boost is useful, but don't do it RIGHT at edges, or RIGHT before you need to wallrun.
  • Coil is useful, but mostly when going over high obstacles...otherwise you screw yourself over.
  • Drop pads are SOMETIMES useful, if the drop is very long.
  • You can skill-drop-pad by pressing skillroll before landing, then boost off the pad.
  • Boost just before a running longjump or running springboard MIGHT make you go further. We're not sure.
  • Jump at the last second for a speedboost off edges if you don't coil. This is actually a big deal.

This collectible hunt is really frustrating me. This is exactly why people don't like open worlds and Ubisoft design; I'm just sitting here following Youtube guides for hours to mop up these Trophies.

There's some kind of glitch, or just bullshit design, going on with the way the game saves which collectibles you've picked up in a mission. I just went through the hole of Prisoner X, collected everything, then finished it and saw that nothing had stuck and I have no idea why. I can only think it's because I died a few times, and if that's the case then fuuuuuuck that.

Blizzard

Banned
This collectible hunt is really frustrating me. This is exactly why people don't like open worlds and Ubisoft design; I'm just sitting here following Youtube guides for hours to mop up these Trophies.

There's some kind of glitch, or just bullshit design, going on with the way the game saves which collectibles you've picked up in a mission. I just went through the hole of Prisoner X, collected everything, then finished it and saw that nothing had stuck and I have no idea why. I can only think it's because I died a few times, and if that's the case then fuuuuuuck that.
I think there's a bug where if you die in a mission, your mission collectibles reset if you got them after a checkpoint. You might be able to go back and get them again.

Top Bottom