• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The -2 feels like a complete colour pie fail.

Where does the card draw come from? You're not paying life, there isn't a draw siphon in black I know of. The closest card to it is Waste Not but that only triggers on nonland noncreature cards being discarded.

ultron87

Where does the card draw come from? You're not paying life, there isn't a draw siphon in black I know of. The closest card to it is Waste Not but that only triggers on nonland noncreature cards being discarded.

Current Sorin "draws" cards without taking anything from the controller also, so I guess it is fine for White Black to do now.

Crocodile

en_RfLLcp8FCz.png

That seems pretty strong. Cool way of protecting herself, too.

Reads the card the first time:
"Oh you can stop an opponent's creature from attacking or blocking indefinitely. The ability basically works on offense AND defense. You lose life but its better than a Baneslayer hitting you :p"

Reads the card a second time: "Oh you can reset itself so that you can gain loyalty"

Reads the card a third time: "Oh you can flicker your own dudes to abuse ETB effects"

Flexible 0 that can use to defend itself, -1 helps you kill quickly, -2 is good card advantage. Card seems strong to me.

I love it.

I had previously played around with the thought of a PW that didn't have any [+] abilities but never thought about the PW flickering itself to "reset" and effectively regain its counters.

Image.ashx

This is the first Planeswalker that if it showed up at Uncommon in Kaladesh, no one would blink. It's purely a multiplayer only card, which is kind of disappointing, because CN1 had Dack Fayden which was a smart way to print a new Planeswalker powerful enough for Legacy/Vintage without first having to put it into Standard/Modern

I feel like this should have been in a Commander deck instead of here, because I was excited to see another strongly pushed walker

Evaluate cards better bro. Being 4cmc instead of 3cmc probably keeps it out of older formats but the abilities are strong.

Image.ashx

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Black can draw cards and give the downside to its opponent if you pay enough mana for the effect. Repeatable Syphon Mind is the good part of the card. The ideal way to play the card is -2, -2, blink Kaya to get her back to 5 and then start over. The card is just bad if you're planning to use her 0 on anything else.

The biggest problem with the card is that its a huge flavor fail. The only thing she can actually kill is tokens; she can't actually kill Brago, King Eternal with any of her abilities.

OnPoint

The biggest problem with the card is that its a huge flavor fail. The only thing she can actually kill is tokens; she can't actually kill Brago, King Eternal with any of her abilities.

This is a solid point. It's even worse because she's base-black (2/3 abilities are black -- despite gaining life, that applies to the middle ability to me), so not having creature kill of some kind is mindboggling.

Unless she isn't the one that kills Brago.

Crocodile

Black can draw cards and give the downside to its opponent if you pay enough mana for the effect. Repeatable Syphon Mind is the good part of the card. The ideal way to play the card is -2, -2, blink Kaya to get her back to 5 and then start over. The card is just bad if you're planning to use her 0 on anything else.

No? What part of taking out blockers, stopping large attackers or once in a while blinking your own dudes is bad? It 100% affects the board and can be used on offense and defense. The life payment is annoying but the ability is flexible as shit. Just in case anyone is misreading the card, the effect lasts until YOUR next upkeep. So if you use it on an opponent's creature, the creature is still gone on their turn (so it can't attack you back). It works like Liliana, the Last Hope and Jace, Vyn Prodigy's abilities.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No? What part of taking out blockers, stopping large attackers or once in a while blinking your own dudes is bad? It 100% affects the board and can be used on offense and defense. The life payment is annoying but the ability is flexible as shit. Just in case anyone is misreading the card, the effect lasts until YOUR next upkeep. So if you use it on an opponent's creature, the creature is still gone on their turn (so it can't attack you back). It works like Liliana, the Last Hope and Jace, Vyn Prodigy's abilities.

It costs 2 life, isn't permanent and doesn't add loyalty to Kaya unless you take a turn off to reset Kaya's counters and will cause ETB triggers to reset every time; it's not even bounce so the tempo advantage is minimal. The fact that its functional in a pinch where you really want to avoid a dude for a turn cycle doesn't make it good because you have to consider Kaya's mana cost and color restrictions; using Kaya's 0 on another creature is the worst part of the card.

The part of the card that is powerful is Syphon Mind on a stick.

I'm sure the story card that depicts her killing Brago will be flavored as a spell she can cast.

Magic Story - Tyrants
* Brago is having a dinner meeting with other ghosts. At the king's request, cogworks have been removed from the streets and the Academy has been closed down. Brago's guard, Adriana, feels guilt about this.
* After leaving for just a minute, Adriana comes back to see that the coup has already taken place, with all the banners being replaced by ones with black rose symbols. She rushes to the throne room and sees Kaya with her knife in Brago's throat.
* Adriana attacks, but her sword phases through Kaya. Brago "dies". They continue fighting for a bit, with Kaya taunting Adriana. Kaya leaves by dropping through the floor. Adriana decides to take Brago's sword.
* Marchesa is crowned queen the very next day. No one seems surprised by this turn of events and even seem already accustomed to her.
* Adriana confronts Marchesa. Marchesa confirms that she can't kill her or else the guard would turn against her. Adriana spits at her and leaves.
* Adriana goes up to some random people and gives a speech about standing up to Marchesa.
* Three months later, there's a lot of unrest in the city.
* Adriana goes to meet Selvala the elf explorer. She wants her to help make the United States of Paliano.

New art:
c4rd4r7_atasxkdkj4.jpg

c4rd4r7_sJjpCbTjwe.jpg

c4rd4r7_pFs49VlID4.jpg

Angry Grimace

Paliano as a plane is fun. Too bad they don't want to make it into a Standard set.

Lucario

Trying to make a traditional aggro deck for FNM while I wait for rotation, and I realize I'm late to the party on this, but what's up with the mana costs for the strong Vampires?

All of the aggressive 1-drops cost R, and all of the good support cards have double black in the cost. Why would you ever hamstring a tribe like that? Were they too powerful late in testing or something?

On the bright side, opposing vampire tribes having amazing synergy but being unable to play together is incredible flavor, but somehow I doubt that's what they were going for.

red13th

Love that Jesper Ejsing art, I'm glad they keep giving him art in supplemental sets.
Kaya seems good but not huge, pluz Orzhov is a stacked guild already.

Angry Grimace

It would have been pretty funny if the text said "Target creature phases out."

Angry Grimace

Don't forget that next week and the week after that are 3x Zendikar and Zendikar/Zendikar/Worldwake drafts on MODO which means you get to free roll a shitty format to dig for fetchlands.

Angry Grimace

So sell your fetches now because there's going to be a little price drop?

Last time they did a 3x ZEN they didn't really drop long term - they dropped ahead of the draft format like they are now - right now prices of the ZEN fetches is at a low (at least for a while).

Angry Grimace

That's good to know. I'm about to buy into Modern Jund/Abzan so I will be buying the appropriate fetch lands (for both decks) within the next week most likely.

Last time the fetchlands dropped ahead of the draft (this is happening right now - the price of a set of Zendikar went from ~215 to ~165 in the last month) and then went back up afterwards. With the set at 215 drafting it is a free roll. It's not a full-on free roll at these prices, but its probably still +EV.

Basically you just raredraft any fetchland, Mindbreak Trap or Bloodghast.

Crocodile

It costs 2 life, isn't permanent and doesn't add loyalty to Kaya unless you take a turn off to reset Kaya's counters and will cause ETB triggers to reset every time; it's not even bounce so the tempo advantage is minimal. The fact that its functional in a pinch where you really want to avoid a dude for a turn cycle doesn't make it good because you have to consider Kaya's mana cost and color restrictions; using Kaya's 0 on another creature is the worst part of the card.

The part of the card that is powerful is Syphon Mind on a stick.
  • Very few PWs can interact with your opponent creatures without losing loyalty. The fact that she can get rid of an attacker while not losing loyalty is important
  • 2 life isn't irrelevant but if you're on the offensive you can kill your opponent that much quicker and if you're on the defensive then losing 2 life is better than losing 3+ life from a larger creature
  • The abilities are well in line with a 2 color, 4 mana PW. I think it matches up well with either 4 mana BW Sorin
I mean testing will bear out results and agree to disagree I guess but I think you're way of base if you think the 0 ability is bad.

I just read on the official Magic Duels FB page that they have indefinitely suspended the PS4 version. :(
There is no active development on a PS4 version and there are no plans to release it in the future.

Angry Grimace

• Very few PWs can interact with your opponent creatures without losing loyalty. The fact that she can get rid of an attacker while not losing loyalty is important
  • 2 life isn't irrelevant but if you're on the offensive you can kill your opponent that much quicker and if you're on the defensive then losing 2 life is better than losing 3+ life from a larger creature
  • The abilities are well in line with a 2 color, 4 mana PW. I think it matches up well with either 4 mana BW Sorin
I mean testing will bear out results and agree to disagree I guess but I think you're way of base if you think the 0 ability is bad.

1) ....no, lots of them can, you're just wrong here. Think about the number of Planeswalkers printed and how many of them interact with your opponent's creatures on a plus - Kiora 1, Ajani Vengeant, Gideon Jura, Liliana, the Last Hope, Jace, Telepath Unbound, etc. Not to mention that even more of them interact on a minus and usually those do so in a way that gives you some kind of tempo advantage at the very least and at best kill a guy permanently.
2) It's an EDH card. Locking down one guy (who comes back with its ETB) at the cost of 2 life every turn isn't good and you're only doing this if you're losing and have absolutely no answer to your opponent's dangerous creature. It's probably the worst possible answer outside of chump blocking and lots of the time its probably worse than just using Elspeth's + to actually chump block. Using her 0 on another creature is probably worse than just blinking herself most of the time since she'll always come back with 5 counters (and thus she never dies since she never can get attacked), but in that case you're not actually doing anything with her but losing life.
3) If it It matches up well with Sorin 2 and 3 its because its third ability is Syphon Mind and her third turn will always reset her to 5 counters without dying. That's why its a better card than what we get in Standard, not because of its ability to lock down a dude for 2 life a turn.

I think it would be an interesting card in Standard, but Syphon Mind on a stick for 4 mana is probably beyond what we normally get in Standard.

ultron87

I feel like Duels has actually become a pretty good product with the Eldritch Moon release on the systems it is available for. There's some weird stuff and bugs, sure, but it's a pretty functional way to play 1v1 best of 1 Magic games with a subset of the cards in Standard that also has a pretty fair F2P model.

Bandini

Fellow Daretti Stax players?

Mr-Burns-evil-grin-530x298.jpg

No Smokestack for me, but I do enjoy some Daretti. Just got some new cards over the last couple weeks, trying out a few different things. Conduit of Ruin is pretty neat as it can tutor for 7 or 8 different bombs. Unwinding Clock is just fantastic, yesterday I had it out with Mana Vault which was pretty nuts. Haven't got to play new Kozilek yet but it seems pretty good. Hopefully I get some games in this weekend.

In a perfect world, MTGO would be cross-platform, but it seems they still want to have three separate pieces of software?

MtG-Brand-Blueprint-Slide-3-500x281.jpg

That slide is highlighting the gap between products and how Digital Next will cover all demographics. Maybe they want to keep all three running but I don't know why you'd spend a ton of money to develop an all-encompassing platform only to maintain the old ones anyway.

That slide is highlighting the gap between products and how Digital Next will cover all demographics. Maybe they want to keep all three running but I don't know why you'd spend a ton of money to develop an all-encompassing platform only to maintain the old ones anyway.

Okay that would be great.

What I would personally like to see, is the ability to play actual MTGO on PC, but also play on tablet on the go, or on PS4 for the comfy couch experience.
I already watch Twitch streams on PS4 so seeing MTGO on the big screen is pretty nice.

hermit7

Been working on building out death and taxes over the past month or so. Still need a few pieces (namely the ports) but then I should be good to go to take it out.

Here in AZ we have a legacy circuit and a few shops that fire weekly. I am excited to take it out and play it.

Been working on building out death and taxes over the past month or so. Still need a few pieces (namely the ports) but then I should be good to go to take it out.

Here in AZ we have a legacy circuit and a few shops that fire weekly. I am excited to take it out and play it.

I've been watching a lot of LGS streams on Twitch, and Death and Taxes seems like a deck that shows up frequently in the Legacy games I have seen. It actually looks pretty neat.

Oh man Kaya is pretty rad. Besides icalledit.gif on Orzhov, I think the interaction of the abilities is very neat and pretty unique.

Paliano as a plane is fun. Too bad they don't want to make it into a Standard set.

There's a lot of planes that they've put to some side use (Paliano, Shandalar, the other Origins planes, etc.) that I think they'll eventually use as a block setting down the road. Paliano definitely could support it.

In a perfect world, MTGO would be cross-platform, but it seems they still want to have three separate pieces of software?

I definitely read this as "look how Magic Digital Next will cover all these different demographics we have in a single app so we don't have to maintain these two different stupid things at the same time."

I definitely read this as "look how Magic Digital Next will cover all these different demographics we have in a single app so we don't have to maintain these two different stupid things at the same time."

I also read it that way now too. It's not the best graphic and I didn't look close enough at first, like I didn't notice that the arrow was also going downwards.

OnPoint

Played a budget Tron list on MTGO at my friend's tonight for testing purposes.

1. Firespout seems really useful for my sideboard
2. Kozilek 2.0 is actually SUPER good in the deck

I've cut one Ulamog of the two in the main, and cut the Crumble and a Warping Wail in the side for the 'spouts. I'm gonna try this build tomorrow night at a Modern event and see how it feels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom