• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

1) ....no, lots of them can, you're just wrong here. Think about the number of Planeswalkers printed and how many of them interact with your opponent's creatures on a plus - Kiora 1, Ajani Vengeant, Gideon Jura, Liliana, the Last Hope, Jace, Telepath Unbound, etc. Not to mention that even more of them interact on a minus and usually those do so in a way that gives you some kind of tempo advantage at the very least and at best kill a guy permanently.
2) It's an EDH card. Locking down one guy (who comes back with its ETB) at the cost of 2 life every turn isn't good and you're only doing this if you're losing and have absolutely no answer to your opponent's dangerous creature. It's probably the worst possible answer outside of chump blocking and lots of the time its probably worse than just using Elspeth's + to actually chump block. Using her 0 on another creature is probably worse than just blinking herself most of the time since she'll always come back with 5 counters (and thus she never dies since she never can get attacked), but in that case you're not actually doing anything with her but losing life.
3) If it It matches up well with Sorin 2 and 3 its because its third ability is Syphon Mind and her third turn will always reset her to 5 counters without dying. That's why its a better card than what we get in Standard, not because of its ability to lock down a dude for 2 life a turn.

I think it would be an interesting card in Standard, but Syphon Mind on a stick for 4 mana is probably beyond what we normally get in Standard.

A) There are almost 80 PW cards in existence. You've listed almost all of the ones that interact with opponent creatures while going up in loyalty (I could add Tamiyo 1.0 and Sorin 1.0). That is about 10-15% of all PWs. So yeah, "few" is accurate. Talking about negative loyalty abilities is pointless. Of course if this ability was a negative loyalty ability it would be evaluated differently.

B) I mean I could name a bunch of spells that are better than dealing with creatures than PW abilities. The point is that its flexible, repeatable and doesn't cost mana to use on consecutive turns. It's a more flexible ability than your average PW positive or neutral loyalty ability. In formats where you can find lots of unique interactions (old formats, Cube, etc.) flexibility can't be underestimated. "If you're doing that on enemy dudes you're in trouble", yeah you probably are. But you have that option which is what makes that good.

Toxi

Banned
en_RfLLcp8FCz.png

That seems pretty strong. Cool way of protecting herself, too.
I like this card the more I think of it. Really neat play on the typical Planeswalker design with her ability to bring herself back to full.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Watched a game where a Bogles player sideboarded in Melira against Infect.
Hilarity ensued.

I once sided in Melira against Infect with Pod (non-combo version) and lost to regular damage. It happened.

red13th

Anyone knows a good source for EDH decks, I found people who play EDH and I'm considering building a deck. Not sure what general yet, something GW probably.

Ashodin

Working on today's Legendrule, one of my favorite cards in Standard, Weapons Trainer

can we say how awesome it is that the artist made the character androgynous?

7273543d598bb56418557331f0dbafb8.jpg

Crocodile

Working on today's Legendrule, one of my favorite cards in Standard, Weapons Trainer

can we say how awesome it is that the artist made the character androgynous?

How is this androgynous? Seems like an obvious Furosa rift.

Also I have dining knives that are more threatening than whatever the fuck she's holding in her hands. You can't be a Weapons Trainer with a steak knife. What Eldrazi is she going to even hurt with that? It doesn't even look like a magic knife. At least give her a hunting knife or a machete or something.

Ashodin

I dunno Mad Max wasn't even out by the time that card came out?

Or something.

Just looks like it could be either way to me.

My girlfriend and I are trying to find a deck for her to use through September. We're trying to find a deck that has as little overlap with Bant Company as possible, in case either of us wants to use that for a free 4-0 on Fridays.

So I asked her what 5 cards she wants to play with in Standard, if she could. Her response:
Thought Knot Seer
Thunderbreak Regent
Eldrazi Skyspawner (this was more just any 3 drop that brought an extra body with it after I pried with questions)
Sphinx's Tutelage (she has been playing with this for a while now, but wants to start actually winning)
Gaea's Revenge

She has also stated that she wants to play Eldrazi decks. But she isn't always hot on Mono-U Eldrazi decks that I show her. Anyone want to take a shot at brewing up a couple competitive Eldrazi beatdown decks she can use for the next month and a half? I've been breaking my back trying to effectively brew over here, but I keep veering into my own millhouses and making the decks control-y with eldrazi as value throughput.

Santiako

My girlfriend and I are trying to find a deck for her to use through September. We're trying to find a deck that has as little overlap with Bant Company as possible, in case either of us wants to use that for a free 4-0 on Fridays.

So I asked her what 5 cards she wants to play with in Standard, if she could. Her response:
Thought Knot Seer
Thunderbreak Regent
Eldrazi Skyspawner (this was more just any 3 drop that brought an extra body with it after I pried with questions)
Sphinx's Tutelage (she has been playing with this for a while now, but wants to start actually winning)
Gaea's Revenge

She has also stated that she wants to play Eldrazi decks. But she isn't always hot on Mono-U Eldrazi decks that I show her. Anyone want to take a shot at brewing up a couple competitive Eldrazi beatdown decks she can use for the next month and a half? I've been breaking my back trying to effectively brew over here, but I keep veering into my own millhouses and making the decks control-y with eldrazi as value throughput.

Some sort of UR Flyers/Dragons deck? You can have Eldrazi Skyspawner, Dimensional Infiltrator, Thunderbreak Regent, Rattlechains, Draconic Roars, Fevered Visions, etc

Yeef

Also I have dining knives that are more threatening than whatever the fuck she's holding in her hands. You can't be a Weapons Trainer with a steak knife. What Eldrazi is she going to even hurt with that? It doesn't even look like a magic knife. At least give her a hunting knife or a machete or something.
The whole idea is that it's not the weapon; it's how you use it. That's why she's just killed something with that tiny, tiny knife. The flavor text reinforces that idea.

"When I'm done training you, anything will be a deadly weapon."

Pascal Maynard has a Bant Eldrazi video that should be unlocked by CFB soon- sounds like the deck your GF might want to try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0GenVloNz0&feature=youtu.be&list=PL04lbfeNAaS8EKk-G78VnM4gR9Gpn1YmM

Still private. Was it anything similar to the pro tour bant eldrazi?

I'll run the Bant control list by the girl, too. We'd only need to procure 2 more Tamiyos for that build, but I could just as easily see them being Jace, Unraveler of Secrets.

kirblar

Still private. Was it anything similar to the pro tour bant eldrazi?

I'll run the Bant control list by the girl, too. We'd only need to procure 2 more Tamiyos for that build, but I could just as easily see them being Jace, Unraveler of Secrets.
I'd assume it's a tuned version of it. No article up yet, looks like they screwed up the go-live time on this one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I dunno Mad Max wasn't even out by the time that card came out?

Or something.

Just looks like it could be either way to me.
Weapons Trainer is in a set that came out this year.

Latest Developments on Standard Diversity is up.
The article mainly addresses three things: Wrath of God, Counterspell, and red burn.
* Part of the reason why control decks haven't been as powerful is because of Collected Company, Avacyn, and Eldrazi cast triggers.
* Currently, several different Wrath effects see play, including Languish, Planar Outburst, and Tragic Arrogance. Languish is definitely the strongest, but it also requires spot removal for creatures that survive and is the only (playable) black Wrath. They each have different benefits and decks with different styles can take advantage of different ones. If a plain old 4-mana "destroy all creatures" was in the format, then that would almost surely see play to the exclusion of the others.
* With Counterspell, Sam thinks it's more interesting forcing the player to figure out the best balance of Essence Scatter and Negate spells and such rather than automatically going 4x Counterspell.
* They're happy with how more expensive and/or non-burn red spells have been seeing play.
* With red burn, they both expected Atarka's Command to remain strong and didn't expect Collected Company to be strong enough to overpower red decks. For that reason, they decided to pull back on red spells that could damage the player. We'll see more aggressive red cards again as early as Kaladesh.

There's also another set survey.

Still kind of face-palming at kirblar's twitter convo this morning with SaffronOlive, who ended a discussion of what constitutes a control deck by saying it MUST have counterspells. Also: wtf how has Absorb never been reprinted even once?

kirblar

Still kind of face-palming at kirblar's twitter convo this morning with SaffronOlive, who ended a discussion of what constitutes a control deck by saying it MUST have counterspells. Also: wtf how has Absorb never been reprinted even once?
This is the first time I've ever felt like I had an '09er situation in front of me in MTG.

Ashodin

For that reason, they decided to pull back on red spells that could damage the player. We'll see more aggressive red cards again as early as Kaladesh.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good shit

She and Nissa were the two I bought on the spot, they were obviously really good.

Jace I got lucky and caught at 18 as he was spiking.

that's why I went with Green at magic origins but the guy opposite me got her as the promo.
Not as bad as when the guy opposite me opened a misty rainforest expedition though.

Got Liliana as a pretty good trade. I really wanna make a Jace, Lili and Nissa mono cloured EDH deck.

Crocodile

The article mainly addresses three things: Wrath of God, Counterspell, and red burn.
* Part of the reason why control decks haven't been as powerful is because of Collected Company, Avacyn, and Eldrazi cast triggers.
* Currently, several different Wrath effects see play, including Languish, Planar Outburst, and Tragic Arrogance. Languish is definitely the strongest, but it also requires spot removal for creatures that survive and is the only (playable) black Wrath. They each have different benefits and decks with different styles can take advantage of different ones. If a plain old 4-mana "destroy all creatures" was in the format, then that would almost surely see play to the exclusion of the others.
* With Counterspell, Sam thinks it's more interesting forcing the player to figure out the best balance of Essence Scatter and Negate spells and such rather than automatically going 4x Counterspell.
* They're happy with how more expensive and/or non-burn red spells have been seeing play.
* With red burn, they both expected Atarka's Command to remain strong and didn't expect Collected Company to be strong enough to overpower red decks. For that reason, they decided to pull back on red spells that could damage the player. We'll see more aggressive red cards again as early as Kaladesh.

There's also another set survey.

• What bothers me about the wrath diversity arguement is that there were plenty of metagames with diverse decks (or heck even diverse control decks) where Wrath was legal. So its hard for me to feel like it really "solved" a problem.
  • I don't really care about Counterspell so much but the fact that Clash of Wills exists ruffles my feathers. Scry is evergreen now. Reprint Condescend you jerks >_<

kirblar

• What bothers me about the wrath diversity arguement is that there were plenty of metagames with diverse decks (or heck even diverse control decks) where Wrath was legal. So its hard for me to feel like it really "solved" a problem.
  • I don't really care about Counterspell so much but the fact that Clash of Wills exists ruffles my feathers. Scry is evergreen now. Reprint Condescend you jerks >_<
C/Ping from my reddit response on wraths-

RTR Standard is likely what turned them off of 4-mana Wraths. With Supreme Verdict and Thragtusk in the format, they had to make the aggro cards hyper-good in order to let them see play, and it led to the existence of really dumb aggro decks that could easily T4 you (or virtually T4 after an untap and Boros Charm) because of it. It was an arms race escalation issue that led them to go "what happens if we don't make the aggro decks have to be able to answer a wrath after their Turn 3? (on the draw)"

On Scry- Dissolve is probably too good. Condescend may be as well.

Angry Grimace

C/Ping from my reddit response on wraths-

RTR Standard is likely what turned them off of 4-mana Wraths. With Supreme Verdict and Thragtusk in the format, they had to make the aggro cards hyper-good in order to let them see play, and it led to the existence of really dumb aggro decks that could easily T4 you (or virtually T4 after an untap and Boros Charm) because of it. It was an arms race escalation issue that led them to go "what happens if we don't make the aggro decks have to be able to answer a wrath after their Turn 3? (on the draw)"

On Scry- Dissolve is probably too good. Condescend may be as well.

Brave Naya was my favorite Standard deck of all time.

There's nothing quite as priceless as the opponent's face when they go "oh. I lose."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom