• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What about something like

1U

Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2.

Scry 1

Would that be too good?
This is all the good parts of Dissolve and Mana Leak put together lol

I don't think there's a printable card any more that has "Counter target spell" on it for 1U unless its straight-up 2CMC Force Spike (e.g. unrevealed Silumgar's Scorn). Almost everything we've seen at 2 CMC is a conditional counter not just in whether you can pay something to avoid it but what types of spells it will counter.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How about

UU
Counter Target Spell unless it's controller pays 3

But printed into a standard without great mana

That's just functionally Counterspell and its Mana Leak 5-8 in Modern. The average CMC of a Standard deck is considerably higher than Modern, so you're far less likely to be able to pay it even later in the game.

Yeef

Something like this might be workable

1U
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1. If that player does, draw a card.

It's kind of a worse miscalculation, but I think it could potentially lead to some interesting play patterns.

They should have used Investigate for this.

The most direct comparisons are Runeboggle and Mana Leak.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

The former is considered weak while the latter is considered too strong for Standard. I'm thinking the (2) spell tax puts it too close in power to Mana Leak. Perhaps if the tax got changed to (1) and the cost was changed to UU, they would have printed that.

El Topo

I had those in mind. UU seems a bit too restrictive in my opinion, given that you would pay 2UU to draw a card and tax a spell by 2 (or 1). I think it would have been fine to push the design space there a bit.
I also thought of Rune Snag, which is a fine counterspell (and better in some cases), whereas this one provides some card draw.

Angry Grimace

Rune Snag already exists in Modern and no one plays it as "Mana Leak 5-8"

It's true that Mana Leak isn't that good even in Modern, but adding Scry 1 onto it makes it probably better than Mana Leak.

El Topo

Dismiss has been deemed to good as well and taxing, even just 2, means just that early game.

The problem with Dismiss is that it is also playable in late game and that you cannot play around it, whereas a spell that taxes at 2 is already avoidable for many spells as soon as you reach four mana.
I think they could have gotten away with the card, but who knows? I'm sure they did plenty of testing.

The problem with Dismiss is that it is also playable in late game and that you cannot play around it, whereas a spell that taxes at 2 is already avoidable for many spells as soon as you reach four mana.
I think they could have gotten away with the card, but who knows? I'm sure they did plenty of testing.

Maybe if it was

UU
If that spell gets countered this way Investigate.

Otherwise at the worst you'll just be able to replace it in the late game.

I'm assuming you are talking about the bushwhacker zoo variant that also uses one drops like Experiment One, Vexing Devil, Goblin Guide etc? It's not awful in the least.

was referring to the combo, it's good when you get out a couple of them in a turn plus the bushwacker but it doesn't happen particularly consistently. Awful was the wrong word, the combo is cute.

kirblar

The problem with "tax" counterspells is that they punish big spell decks, which they don't want to do.

El Topo

The problem with "tax" counterspells is that they punish big spell decks, which they don't want to do.

Sure, but it's significantly weaker in other cases. Again, it was just a random thought for a good enough counterspell. I don't think this card would have ruined Standard, but it could have been a helpful tool for something resembling more traditional control decks. You need *some* flexibility for counterspells to be playable.

Angry Grimace

Even Remand is considered way over the line in Standard and its the least feelbad counterspell this side of Unsubstantiate.

I don't think they're going to print a 2 mana spell that counters any spell any time soon unless it looks a lot like Silumgar's Scorn.

Akim

Banned
I'm trying to decide whether to go to FNM tonight or try Gameday tomorrow. I haven't played standard in like 5 years and I put together the U/R spells deck. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Angry Grimace

Just reprint Cryptic Command and call it a day. Make Standard great again.

It would basically just be a U/W version of Faeries with a bunch of cards that do adequate impressions of Fae cards in Standard right now.

Daedardus

Better go ahead and reprint Vendilion Clique too.

Or if they don't want to ruin Standard they could just unban SFM, JTMS and Jitte in Modern. They can unban BBE, Eye of Ugin and Deathrite Shaman too to make it more fair. Part of me just wants to see how broken Modern Caw-Blade would be with all the extra control additions.

Crocodile

Plz stop polluting the thread with designs of cards that are strictly worse than Counterspell or Mana Leak in every way.If you must get your card design on, at least try to make them interesting in some fashion. Unsubstantiate is worse than Remand but its not just strictly worse which makes it an interesting design.

El Topo

Even Remand is considered way over the line in Standard and its the least feelbad counterspell this side of Unsubstantiate.

I don't think they're going to print a 2 mana spell that counters any spell any time soon unless it looks a lot like Silumgar's Scorn.

The problem with Remand is that it is a very efficient tempo card with immediate cantrip, no? Remand would probably be fine in the current Standard though.

#reprintremand
#makebluegreatagain

Fuck Blue. Give me Red!

• What bothers me about the wrath diversity arguement is that there were plenty of metagames with diverse decks (or heck even diverse control decks) where Wrath was legal. So its hard for me to feel like it really "solved" a problem.

• The issue here, I think, is that if a 4-mana wrath environment is diverse it's gonna be primarily between control decks, disruption decks, and then ultra-consistent high-speed aggro as the only kind of creature deck that can really compete against them. They want creature decks to run multiple colors and CMCs up to at least 4, and that isn't gonna happen in 4-mana wrath land.

1U

Scry 1

lol that would be the all-time best 1U counterspell

This is also why we've gotten more counters that hit bands of CMC like Disdainful Stroke and Horribly Awry, I'd think.

I think this has more to do with what kind of decks Remand enables than anything else.

Angry Grimace

They should just not print any more counter spells. Easy solution.

Haines

Banned
Grumpy and venting, apologies

I drafted a sickkkkk w/u EMN deck. Bombs and synergy man. amazing
So hyped.

Fucking pc decides to do a mandatory update.

Now my deck is fucked. I have to concede each game to sideboard a real deck out of the 80 lands etc it put in mine.

So I lose against the first guy even tho I could have beaten him BC concede and I have no time on my clock.

Second round I get a bye.

I kind of want to drop and start again but. Just going to play hearthstone for an hour and than concede and try to win the next two games so I can at least get a couple packs out of this disaster.

Destroyed my Friday night. My fault for not noticing some stupid update was going to happen.

Man I am pumped for Kaladesh. I feel like this is gonna be a set where red gets some really interesting stuff, unlike most recent sets. A lot of things from Origins hinted at artifact crafting and things like that. Red is one of my favorite colors but it always seems to get safe designs and it's range of abilities seems so limited nowadays.

red13th

What I really want from Kaladesh besides a broken artifact creature is a UR artifact card, legend or sorcery or whatever, that's super pushed. UR/Grixis artifacts is a super fun cube archetype but none of the good Izzet cards are dedicated to it. Dack Fayden and Izzet Charm are good because they loot Myr Battlespheres/Sundering Titans to Welder but I want a Daretti-level support card, but a good one cause I'd have to cut Fire/Ice and I love that card.
Not building too high expectations though since I'm sure WotC will play it safe this time around after the Mirrodin blocks. :/

Ashodin

Hoooooo Karn EDH tore some people new ones tonight

Ended a game with being able to untap with Nev's disk

Also won with a game-winning taking of another man's turn with Emmy.

SICK BREH

What I really want from Kaladesh besides a broken artifact creature is a UR artifact card, legend or sorcery or whatever, that's super pushed. UR/Grixis artifacts is a super fun cube archetype but none of the good Izzet cards are dedicated to it. Dack Fayden and Izzet Charm are good because they loot Myr Battlespheres/Sundering Titans to Welder but I want a Daretti-level support card, but a good one cause I'd have to cut Fire/Ice and I love that card.
Not building too high expectations though since I'm sure WotC will play it safe this time around after the Mirrodin blocks. :/

Mishra though

Mishra isn't very good in cube, since most cubes are singleton. He's also 3-color.

I'm hoping for a glut of UR artifact-matters cards between Kaladesh and Aether Revolt. The pickings right now are super slim, especially in the multicolor department.
Need Nether Void, Blood Funnel or Possibility Storm in the cube then and that creature destroy thing that can be destroyed by skipping a turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom