• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's doable.

I wonder if they're going to print something like Demonic Pact in Kaladesh. Seems like a waste to print a card like Harmless Offering with no payoff in standard.

160.jpg

Crocodile

The pun from that name/art combo is something I definitely appreciate but suspect they would change with a reprint, haha

Yeah, I also had the "this is awesome but would never fly today" thought.

I mean I can't with a straight face say this would be a HUGE loss if this never came back or changed but it's kind of a bummer that an innocuous joke is now maybe off-limits? Not that there isn't a long history things things we (as a society) used to say/do that are clearly offensive nowadays and rightfully shouldn't be repeated but I feel someone has to be hyper-sensitive if this is the sort of joke that ruffles their feathers? Ah well.

I like the flavor of it because it encourages your opponents to fight amongst themselves the first few turns while leaving you alone. But it's definitely not a rare I'd be excited to open.

Pretty much. The mythic one also seems way too build around considering you'll need a lot of draw in your deck to play it and you also seemingly still need a 40 card deck meaning you want to draft something to be able to remove cards from your pool.

Basically pray to open it in pack 1.

Also there's a typo on the Monarch token lol.

does the omission of a word count as a typo?

bigkrev

With Sovergins Realm, what happens if you don't draft 40 cards that can be put in your library (there are cards that exile from your draft pool now, conspiracies, ect)

Looking back, I probably should have created an "opening post" for Conspiracy 2. Whatever, I'll do it now.

en_CEMpz1LSO4.png

Announcement
Release Date: August 26, 2016
Number of Cards: 221
MSRP: $3.99 per booster pack

The throne no longer sits empty, but deception, danger, and even death await around every corner.

Add deeper layers of intrigue to your next Magic draft and begin plotting as soon as you open your first booster pack! The Conspiracy: Take the Crown set builds on the revolutionary abilities introduced in the original Magic: The Gathering—Conspiracy set, with new cards that affect the draft itself and new conspiracies that twist the rules against your foes. Trade votes and spread your attacks to manipulate the game in your favor. Seize the crown to give yourself a greater edge—if you can keep it.

How will you plot your way to the throne?

This set is designed for eight-player drafts followed by free-for-all games of three to five players each.

Story

CARD THEMES
Official card list (alternate, includes leaks)
Official mechanics list

Draft matters
en_ZMrNJCfZ79.png
en_xySfkT1CJD.png
en_ztt10ZOSSD.png
en_T42fhFlwwh.png

Like Conspiracy before it, the battle begins before you even have any matches, during the draft. There are various cards that care about how you draft, including cards that have you note actions you take, which affects what effects they have during an actual match. But most notable are the conspiracy cards, a card type that first appeared in Conspiracy. They aren't considered part of your deck, but if you draft them, you may start the game with them in the command zone (where they can't be interacted with), and they will provide various effects. One new thing is colored conspiracies. The actual color of the conspiracy doesn't matter, but it signifies to the drafter that it's best not to draft them if you aren't in the specified color. Hidden agenda returns, which allows you to start the with game with the conspiracy face down and secretly write down a name. When you turn it face up, some effect involving that name happens. New for this set is double agenda, which has you secretly note two names and has an effect involving both when you turn the conspiracy face up.

The monarch
en_wjbFsGQ4NT.png
en_JsEALzuwmT.png
en_OFPgMTjwcu.png

The monarch is a new concept for Magic: a designation that a player may have during the game. The game starts with no monarch, but there are three ways to become one:
* Use a card like the above that says you become the monarch.
* Deal combat damage to the monarch, whereupon you become the monarch.
* The current monarch leaves the game. If this happened during your turn, you become the monarch. If this happened during that player's turn, the next player becomes the monarch.

So why become the monarch? At the beginning of your end step, you draw a card! And there are some cards that are stronger if you're the monarch. But be careful, because this paints a target on you.

Voting
en_Sv0VaXOVlP.png
en_v405Csx7n4.png
en_JBDcoeGqnh.png

Many cards will ask players to take a vote using council's dilemma, choosing between two options. This time, every vote matters, as the cards will care about the number of votes for each option, as opposed to the majority. Still, it's worth talking to the other players to get things to work out the way you want. Or if you don't want to bother, there are always other ways...

*throws a folded chair*
en_2MS6B2YZ3R.png
en_hwhEx78V34.png
en_12hlZKQIvA.png

All this political unrest is leading to civil unrest. Melee gives the creature a boost for each player you attack at once, making sure everyone gets some. Note that the boost applies even if you attack one player, and doesn't apply if you attack planeswalkers. Goad can force a turtling player to get in on the action by making a creature attack any player, as long as it's not you. And finally, monstrosity returns as a late-game mana sink. When you pay a creature's monstrosity cost, if it's not monstrous, it gains the designated number of +1/+1 counters and becomes monstrous, which can trigger an ability or give it a new permanent ability. You can only activate this ability once.

HIGHLIGHTS
Monday - August 15
Mothership spoilers (above)
Inquisition of Kozilek (above)
Archdemon of Paliano (above)
Arcane Savant (above)
Assemble the Rank and Vile, Custodi Peacekeeper
Thorn of the Black Rose
Ballot Broker
Burning Wish
Protector of the Throne

Tuesday - August 16
Custodi Lich, Hallowed Burial
Mothership spoilers - Adriana, etc.
Recruiter of the Guard
Phyrexian Arena
Desertion
Expropriate, Exotic Orchard

Wednesday - August 17
Spy Kit
Keeper of Keys
Mothership - Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
Mothership - Leovold, Emissary of Trest
Serum Visions, Sanctum Prelate
Burgeoning
Magic Story - Bloody Instructions
Wild Pair, Entourage of Trest
Duskmantle Seer, Weight Advantage

Thursday - August 18
Dragonlair Spider, Illusory Informant, Spire Phantasm
Mothership - Grenzo, Havoc Raiser
Mothership - Skyline Despot
Berserk
Volatile Chimera, Garbage Fire
Subterranean Tremors
Show and Tell
Regal Behemoth
Birds of Paradise

Friday - August 19
Hymn of the Wilds
Mothership - Selvala, Heart of the Wilds; Stunt Double
Caller of the Untamed
Incendiary Dissent
Splitting Slime
Games Laboratory exhibition draft reveals - Regicide, Ghostly Prison, Gratuitous Violence, etc.

Saturday - August 20
Warez Gaming exhibition draft reveals - Pariah, Platinum Angel, etc.
Selvala's Stampede

Sunday - August 21
SCG New Jersey Player Invitational

Monday - August 22
Full spoiler

Later events covered back in the first highlights post in this thread.

Wow, Sovereign's Realm is shockingly bad. No one is ever going to use that card. Ever. What were they thinking?

Edit: I was interpreting it wrong. Not so bad after all.

Wow, Sovereign's Realm is shockingly bad. No one is ever going to use that card. Ever. What were they thinking?

It's a bit oddly worded, but it allows you to play any card as a basic land (assuming you have a bunch outside the game with you), and basic lands can produce any color of mana. You never have to worry about drawing lands, and you never have to worry about being color screwed, all for the low cost of starting with two less cards. You will probably have to include draft chaff in your deck to get up to 40, but you can just "play them as lands". It seems good to me.

It's a bit oddly worded, but it allows you to play any card as a basic land (assuming you have a bunch outside the game with you), and basic lands can produce any color of mana. You never have to worry about drawing lands, and you never have to worry about being color screwed, all for the low cost of starting with two less cards. You will probably have to include draft chaff in your deck to get up to 40, but you can just "play them as lands". It seems good to me.

Yep, I thought I was missing something. I didn't take into account that you're getting your investment of a card back by playing a land from outside the game. I like it now.

Edited this into my previous post, but the above post appeared before that, so this might be better as its own post.

Some interesting things from Making Magic and the Feature article:
* Shawn Main was asked to start work on Conspiracy 2 only a few weeks after the first came out.
* The monarch was extremely similar to a mechanic earmarked for Ham block (after Kaladesh and Barrel), one that was allocated for that block from earliest planning. Ultimately, they concluded that monarch was too good a fit for Conspiracy 2 and Ham was in early planning anyway, so they decided to come up with something else for the latter. Everyone start speculating now.
* Goad was an attempt to give red a good multiplayer mechanic. It fits in mechanically and philosophy, while allowing red to direct damage away from itself.
* In the original Conspiracy, Marchesa was the only legend in design. It was entirely the creative team that fleshed out the world and requested other legends to be included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom