• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that an announcement/rumor/leak I missed?

No. People here were earlier talking about a potential Cube-specific product, so it's possible he misunderstood.

Also, Subterranean Tremors story in a single post.
kandykidzero asked: How was stunt double not your preview card? It is a flashy clone card!

I wanted to tell the story of how Subterranean Tremors got made.

To save a question (I told the story on Twitter yesterday), here’s the story. Dan Helland is the R&D coordinator. He’s the Dan I talk about that sets up all the playtests and makes the stickered cards.

For the first Conspiracy, Dan made a card called Shockwave which did everything that Subterranean Tremors does except the last effect destroyed all of the lands rather than made a token.

It was considered to griefer-y and got cut fro the set. Ken Nagle, the biggest griefer in R&D liked it, so he brought it back in the new Conspiracy. The land destruction got changed to a “Godzilla” entering the battlefield.

Dan didn’t know his card was in the set until he saw it on a card he was stickering for a playtest. Dan was very happy Shockwave was finally in a set.

And that is the story of Subterranean Tremors.

Crocodile

I want to see more commons and uncommons for my peasant cube. So far I'm looking at Garbage Fire and that's it.

The common Monarch cards seem cubeable to me. It will require testing but Monarch seems like a strong mechanic even in 1v1 play.

I wonder how many of these cards will show up in the official Cube product.
Wondering that, will keep me from grabbing them as singles for now.

Why wait for a product that might never exist? In the year+ till something like that hypothetically comes out, you would have gotten a year of play with these cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
MaRo pretending its not real when we all know its eventually happening.

siamkor asked: This should only be possible in a supplemental product: can I request an alternate reality Tarkir Dragonlord cycle where the dragons are enemy colors instead of ally? (Like the legendary dragon cycles in Invasion and Planar Chaos.)

I think a cycle of enemy Dragons is possible. An alternate version gets much trickier from a flavor standpoint. Maybe. : )

Weren't they originally intended to be opponent colours but changed because friendly worked better for limited. Or was it the other way around with the center colours of the clans?

incendiarydissent.jpg

that seems super strong, just pick something with evasion or first strike and go to town.

Is that an announcement/rumor/leak I missed?

No, but we were talking about it not long ago. And it's something that a few of us has speculated on for a couple of years now, I believe.

I'd love it if WotC released their legacy or whatever cube gold - bordered for 100 quid or so. I'd buy it and treat it as a board game.

Exactly. I'd be all over it like that.

No. People here were earlier talking about a potential Cube-specific product, so it's possible he misunderstood.

I didn't misunderstand, but I apologize if my wording caused confusion.

Why wait for a product that might never exist? In the year+ till something like that hypothetically comes out, you would have gotten a year of play with these cards.

Because it's honestly a low priority for me. I'm really a constructed player, but a cube has always been something I've wanted and I've been storing up cards for years to eventually make one. If and when they make an official product, I'll be right in line to get it though. The thought of it coming, even years from now, keeps me lazy on doing it myself.

Weren't they originally intended to be opponent colours but changed because friendly worked better for limited. Or was it the other way around with the center colours of the clans?

The dragon broods were originally enemy colored, but they found that this made Limited too similar to Khans of Tarkir, which didn't reflect "alternate reality" all that well.

Bandini

Selvala is insane! Even if you have no other creatures, she still taps for a net of one of any color. Definitely fitting into my Meren deck.

Edit: How did I not see Expropriate sooner? Super sick for Narset. Man, haven't been this hyped for a set in a long time.

Firemind

MaRo pretending its not real when we all know its eventually happening.
whatever can we just go back to alara?

also i drafted two vampire nighthawks and went 3-0 in triple zendikar flashback draft. this thing is so silly it's a cube staple even when black is a terrible colour for small creatures. and someone passed two to me. in the second pack but still. also drafted arid mesa and scalding tarn.

god i love zendikar.

also i drafted two vampire nighthawks and went 3-0 in triple zendikar flashback draft. this thing is so silly it's a cube staple even when black is a terrible colour for small creatures. and someone passed two to me. in the second pack but still. also drafted arid mesa and scalding tarn.

god i love zendikar.
Wow, that's awesome. VNH is such a great creature.

bigkrev

Releases this year:

Booster products:

Oath of the Gatewatch
Shadows over Innestrad
Eldritch Moon
Kaladesh
Eternal Masters
Conspiracy 2

Deck products:

Duel Decks: Blessed vs Cursed
Duel Decks: Nissa vs Ob Nixilis
Commander 2016
Planeswalker Decks

Special:

From the Vault

This seems like way too much product for 1 year.

kirblar

The PW decks specifically seem like a bad move here. Duel Decks are set promotion, they're effectively part of the big booster releases.

bigkrev

The PW decks specifically seem like a bad move here.

BTW, which deck will they fuck up on and have the Planeswalker actually be constructed playable? It would be easy to say the Jace one, so I'm going out on a limb and saying the Koth one they do for the New Phyrexia set will be the hit.

bigkrev

Since Planeswalker Decks are meant to replace Intro Packs, why aren't Intro Packs being included in the list of deck products?

Planeswalker decks are going to have new cards, including new Planeswalker cards, that will "have a big impact on the game and make new players excited" and "will be expensive to cast and have splashy effects on the game". Any product with new planeswalkers is a significant product, unlike intro decks which just have cards from the most recent sets

And don't forget Planechase Anthology due out November of this year.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/planechase-anthology-information

This is something the average player will never have the oppertunity to buy because it's so limited and expensive MSRP-wise, so I didn't count it

Planeswalker decks are going to have new cards, including new Planeswalker cards, that will "have a big impact on the game and make new players excited" and "will be expensive to cast and have splashy effects on the game". Any product with new planeswalkers is a significant product, unlike intro decks which just have cards from the most recent sets
The products also aren't intended for established players. While we joke that they'll probably screw up and make a Standard-significant planeswalker, they are also explicitly going to have a high mana cost, which makes them messing up in that way unlikely.

The products also aren't intended for established players. While we joke that they'll probably screw up and make a Standard-significant planeswalker, they are also explicitly going to have a high mana cost, which makes them messing up in that way unlikely.

They could still create an Elspeth style control finisher.

For the record, this isn't a leak, this is from one of the exhibition drafts run by select stores, where they're supposed to put the new cards online.

MTG Salvation has pictures in a non-Facebook context.

Spectral Grasp, Borderland Explorer, Deadly Designs, Palace Jailer, are really interesting designs. Messenger Jays is cute.

EDIT: There are a bunch on the Facebook page that aren't in the thread. Menagerie Liberator has a rampaging giraffe in the background!

EDIT: Mechanic not listed on the mechanics article: basic landcycling.

EDIT: One store is streaming their exhibition draft.
serbarristan asked: Hi Mark, tomorrow I'll be presenting the Livestream for Warez Gaming's Conspiracy: Take the Crown Preview Draft on Twitch, so would it be possible to for you to reblog the post about it on my blog? It starts at 2pm GMT, and the Twitch stream is Warezmycontroller. Everyone has been working super hard to really knock it out of the park, so it'd be absolutely awesome if you could lend us a hand getting the word out there for one last push :D

Will do. Check it out.

bigkrev

As someone who hates multiplayer, I really wish they would do a set like conspiracy that breaks NWO but is still very flavorful and interesting that was made for 1v1.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
OK no puns intended, but that design is awesome. Letting any player pay is so fitting of this set.

I love that you can convince players to help you pay for it by telling them you'll destroy one thing, and then at the last minute choose to screw them and destroy different targets. Scheming and plotting indeed

Releases this year:

Booster products:

Oath of the Gatewatch
Shadows over Innestrad
Eldritch Moon
Kaladesh
Eternal Masters
Conspiracy 2

Deck products:

Duel Decks: Blessed vs Cursed
Duel Decks: Nissa vs Ob Nixilis
Commander 2016
Planeswalker Decks

Special:

From the Vault

This seems like way too much product for 1 year.

It's really not hugely different from previous years. There have been four standard-legal booster products every year for over a decade. There's been FTVs every year for the last eight. Duel Decks have been biannual for seven, and there's been a supplemental summer product (either multiplayer or reprint oriented) every year for just as long. The real big change here is that this year instead of doing either/or with the suppemental set, they did both: a fancy reprint set and a casual-oriented multiplayer set, which is certainly an increase, but not any kind of crazy huge one. (And the planeswalker decks aren't a real product by any means.)

Honestly, I think the biggest issue is perception/timing for their marketing plans. FTV and * Masters are ultra-limited print runs that most players never buy any of; people who are focused on competitive Standard play pretty much ignore the multiplayer sets; Duel Decks get spoiled in a single day and don't take up much mindspace for people thinking about them -- these products are pretty well segmented across their market. But because new sets need to get hyped and spoiled, they got themselves into a situation this year where everything's coming out one right after the other after the other. If they want to keep a schedule like this in future years, they probably need to adjust the calendar a bit so there's a little more space around the supplemental sets than there is now.

Well, way back in Legends there was Lady Caleri-
Oh come on! How in the Nine Spheres of Phyrexia is someone with those ears a Human and not an Elf???

hermit7

Set looks sweet and I am pretty eager to draft it.

Quick question, when buying singles do you guys typically buy from higher volume sellers over new ones? The prices on some of the newer sellers is typically lower, but I feel better buying from someone who has 10k sales over someone with 50.

I usually go for tcgplayer direct over any though but for some cards that is not as feasible. I am just wondering because I am finishing my death and taxes list in the next month or so and need the ports and the vials. I would rather spend an extra 5 dollars/ card and go with the highest rated sellers for such expensive pieces. (SCG may be the best option in terms of reliability and peace of mind)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom