• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic the Gathering: Arena - Ixalan Edition (For PC)

Wulfric

The following individuals please post or PM me! Someone is trying to find you.

Angry Grimace
GregLomardi (found!)
FreedomFrisbee (found!)
sharpnelmagnet
ThLunarian (found!)
Farside

Anyhow, back to the main topic...
~~~

INTRO
Welcome to the Multiverse! Multiple worlds exist side by side in different dimensions, known as planes, and they are as different as night and day. All of them, however, have a form of magical energy known as mana. Most residents of these planes are unaware of other worlds, but there are some special beings with the ability to safely travel between them, known as Planeswalkers.

Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. The game quickly became a hit, and it is currently bigger than it has ever been. You and your opponent play the role of dueling Planeswalkers, using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other Planeswalkers you can call in to help out. Whoever can get every opponent down to 0 life wins.

Last set, the dragon planeswalker Nicol Bolas performed a Chaos Dunk on the Egyptian plane of Amonkhet and Slam Jammed our heroes, the Gatewatch, forcing them to scatter throughout the Multiverse. Now, Jace finds himself a castaway on the plane of Ixalan, where pirates led by the gorgon planeswalker Vraska are about to come into conflict with Mesoamerican natives riding dinosaurs.

mHmKWRC.jpg
pCW6ciK.jpg
GFT0ChZ.jpg

Beta Signups Are Here:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena

Q. What platforms will MTG Arena be available on?

A. We're starting with PC only, but we've built MTG Arena on a flexible engine to expand to other platforms when it's ready.

Q. What languages will MTG Arena be available in?

A. During the Closed Beta, the game will be in English only. We will expand to other languages in the future.

Q. How can I get into the Closed Beta?

A. Sign up for the Closed Beta at PlayMTGArena.com. We plan to start inviting players in to get a first look at the game later this year.

Q. What are the recommended system requirements to run MTG Arena?

A. OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit)
Processor: Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 1024MB VRAM
Resolution: 1280 x 720 minimum display resolution
DirectX: Version 10/11/12
Network: Broadband internet connection
Sound Card: DirectX-compatible sound card

Q. Where do I give feedback about MTG Arena?

A. Speak your mind and share your thoughts through the MTG Arena Facebook and Twitter channels. Closed Beta participants will be able to talk directly with our developers through the beta forums.

Q. How much will the game cost?

A. MTG Arena will be available to download with no fee and is a free-to-play game. Players looking to enhance their game experience will have the opportunity to do so through play rewards and in-game purchases, but purchases are not required to access the full depth of authentic Magic gameplay.

Q. Do I need to know how to play Magic to enjoy MTG Arena?

A. You should have at least a basic understanding of Magic's rules to take part in the Closed Beta. A learn-to-play experience will be added later for players with less Magic knowledge.

About the Game

Q. What studio is making MTG Arena?

A. We created a new Magic Digital Studio that brings together a team of world-class talent from top gaming studios and Wizards' leading TCG designers. These are all experienced game designers and big Magic fans working to make MTG Arena for you.

Q. What does Closed Beta "priority access" mean?

A. When you sign up for the Closed Beta you'll be eligible to be put in a queue for invitation waves. Players with priority access get to the front of that queue, meaning they will be eligible to play the Closed Beta earlier.

Q. How do I get Closed Beta priority access?

A.

Magic Duels Players: You will get priority access if you have linked your Magic Duels CSID number to your Wizards Account and sign up for Closed Beta. You should use the same email address to sign up for Closed Beta as the one associated with your Wizards Account. If you want to use a different email address, make sure to include your DCI number when you sign up.
Magic Online Players: You will get priority access if you participate in the Ixalan play events on Magic Online during the week of September 25 and sign up for the Closed Beta. You should use the same email address to sign up for Closed Beta as the one associated with your Magic Online account.
Tabletop Magic Players: You will get priority access if you go to a store and participate in the Ixalan Prerelease and sign up for the Closed Beta. You should use the same email address to sign up for Closed Beta as the one associated with your Wizards Account. If you want to use a different email address, make sure to include your DCI number when you sign up.

Q. When will I get into the Closed Beta?

A. We will invite players in waves based on the development stage we're at. We'll share more information on the Closed Beta later this year.

Q. What types of Magic: The Gathering cards and formats will people be able to play on MTG Arena?

A. During the Closed Beta, we'll start with Constructed play, where you can build decks using all 279 cards from the upcoming Magic set Ixalan. We plan to add Draft and Ranked Constructed later. Our goal for launch is to include all Standard-legal Magic cards. We have a long roadmap of features planned for MTG Arena and will share each one when we're ready for your feedback.

Q. Will there be account wipes during the Closed Beta?
A. Because we will be testing a number of features during our beta process, we do plan to reset your beta progress at times in the Closed Beta. We'll inform players in advance when a progress reset is scheduled.

Q. When will MTG Arena launch?

A. It will launch when it's ready. Right now, we're focusing on getting the game ready for your feedback in the Closed Beta.

Boogiepop

Got the Beta priority, so interested to see how this goes.

Would really, really appreciate a link to a MTG GAF discord or whatever if it exists, or to wherever it looks like it may relocate. Was just getting into the game in general and the thread seemed like a great community, so hate to lose it.

Santiako

Would really, really appreciate a link to a MTG GAF discord or whatever if it exists, or to wherever it looks like it may relocate. Was just getting into the game in general and the thread seemed like a great community, so hate to lose it.

We gotcha, don't worry.

Justin

check your pm

Beta stream on wednesday yay!

Yeef

I'll have to watch that later (since it's an hour long), but what was their reasoning?
Basically they tried both 90 degree and 45 degree tilts and both worked really poorly with the digital cards. It made the board state harder to read.

Basically they tried both 90 degree and 45 degree tilts and both worked really poorly with the digital cards. It made the board state harder to read.

Ah, I see. I'll reserve judgement until I see it more in action.

I am pretty hopeful for this otherwise, the negativity surrounding MODO always kept me from wanting to invest too much into it, but I would love to be able play online. Can't really play seriously on Cockatrice and X-mage since people will drop as soon as I play a turn 1 mountain.

I wouldn't mind a discord invite also, if someone would be so kind.

Justin

Ah, I see. I'll reserve judgement until I see it more in action.

I am pretty hopeful for this otherwise, the negativity surrounding MODO always kept me from wanting to invest too much into it, but I would love to be able play online. Can't really play seriously on Cockatrice and X-mage since people will drop as soon as I play a turn 1 mountain.

I wouldn't mind a discord invite also, if someone would be so kind.

check your pms

Laser123454321

Neo Member
I would also like to get an invite to that discord

Yeah I got the priority email as well. I hope it ends up pulling the audience they want to see.

So is this F2P with access to a lot of cards? I spent way too much money on that OG MTG PC game where I had to buy packs and use trade bots.

How fast are people getting into the beta from sign up? I’ve been thinking about physical MTG a lot lately, but I just moved and don’t know anyone where I live so this will be perfect for me I think.

Also can I get the Discord info too? I know things are weird and it may be locked down, but I wanted to show my interest.

Smidget

Thanks OP. Signed up for the beta! Hopefully I get in. My brother plays MTGO now but it’s a little too rich for my blood in it is current state so I’ve just been dabbling in Cockatrice :x

Tea Time

Neo Member
Any chance I could get in on this Discord thing?

I haven’t posted much but the MTG threads were a great help and solid source of info for me since I first got interested in MTG a couple of years ago.

I haven’t received any priority email as yet for Arena, even though I fulfilled some of the criteria, but I’m definitely hoping to get in on it. I play MTGO but pretty much just standard so Arena sounds like it might be a reasonable, cheaper alternative.

Ri'Orius

So is this F2P with access to a lot of cards? I spent way too much money on that OG MTG PC game where I had to buy packs and use trade bots.

They haven't gone into detail on the precise business model, but people are expecting it to be going for a Hearthstone-y style (which is super generous by cardboard TCG standards, but gets criticism by F2P standards).

Top Bottom