• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NPD pr: 3DS is the best selling system in July, sales nearly 80% up YOY

Ryng_tolu

Banned
From Nintendo:

The Nintendo 3DS family of systems sold nearly 80 percent more units this July compared to the same time period a year ago, and finished as the overall best-selling video game system in July.

On the software side, Capcom’s Monster Hunter Generations emerged as the best-selling game for any system.

July sales of the Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire games for Nintendo 3DS were over 80 percent higher than July 2015. The games launched in November 2014.

July sales of the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y games for Nintendo 3DS were almost 200 percent higher than a year ago. The games launched in October 2013 and finished No. 16 and No. 22 on July’s best-sellers list, respectively.

Games playable on Nintendo systems claimed five of the top 11 spots on the July best-sellers list. These include Monster Hunter Generations from Capcom at No. 1, Minecraft: Wii U Edition from Microsoft at No. 6, Pokémon Omega Ruby at No. 8, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire at No. 10 and Kirby: Planet Robobot at No. 11.
The Nintendo 2DS system has crossed the 2 million lifetime sales mark in the U.S.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/while-xbox-one-topped-ps4-3ds-was-actually-julys-b/1100-6442799/

Catshade

July sales of the Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire games for Nintendo 3DS were over 80 percent higher than July 2015. The games launched in November 2014.

July sales of the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y games for Nintendo 3DS were almost 200 percent higher than a year ago. The games launched in October 2013 and finished No. 16 and No. 22 on July’s best-sellers list, respectively.

Dat PokeGO effect, damn!

AdanVC

Geez and now with the boom of Pokemon, they will sell even more when we get close to the holiday with Sun/Moon. NX delayed confirmeddddddd

No but that is nice to read. Nice to see Nintendo having a good month in sales for once!

Alrus

Well that puts some of the fear that Pokemon GO would hurt regular Pokemon games' business to rest. At least in the immediate future.

NullKaze

It's actually quite nice that returners to the series have XY to try, seeing as those two games have a lot of Gen 1 pokemon, which would be like welcoming the returners home.

Kathian

Banned
Handheld VS Newer Consoles in 2016

Handheld wins;
A) These are poor sales all round
B) Nintendo has a monopoly over one of the largest sectors of the game markets. No mobile game is 30/40 quid.

Good signs for NX and highlights the frankly pathetic software offering of the other two.

fernoca

As posted in the other thread:

Too bad NPD is no longer like the old days...

01. Monster Hunter Generations
02. ???
03. ???
04. ???
05. ???
06. Minecraft: Wii U Edition
07. ???
08. Pokémon Omega Ruby
09. ???
10. Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
11. Kirby: Planet Robobot
12. ???
13. ???
14. ???
15. ???
16. Pokémon X
17. ???
18. ???
19. ???
20. ???
21. ???
22. Pokémon Y

February 2015 with new 3DS release, 395,000 unit sold that month.

Ah, that makes sense. Funny thing is Monster Hunter came out that month too... Hmm.

Like others have said, it's great that Pokemon Go is inviting interest in the dedicated games too. Bringing in more fans for the longterm can only be a good thing.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
This is exactly what Iwata and Nintendo wanted, use the new brand exposure to boost the power of their dedicated hardware.

FE Mobile should have a good effect on Awakening and IF sales, and especially the NX Fire Emblem.

bigkrev

I was thinking the real headline here is that fucking Monster Hunter was the top selling sku of the month, and then I looked at the new retail releases of July, and see that somehow, Monster Hunter was the least niche game to get a physical release that month

donny2112

Pokemon Omega Ruby, X, and Y have all been making moves on the 3DS All-Time download charts, too. Pretty substantial considering no sales for any of those three have been going on.

J@hranimo

Banned
This is honestly pretty impressive. I had no idea Pokemon Go-ers would get the Pokemon games so soon. I thought the effect would hit when the 7th gen titles release!

donny2112

Why such a huge gap between X and Y?

It's just rankings, and outside the Top 5 in slow months, they can be pretty close together. #16 and #22 might be 40K and 37K respectively or something. We just don't know with only having rankings to go by.

I can never remember PR from Sony or Microsoft that separates handhelds from home consoles to get the "upper hand".

Microsoft PR has never included handhelds in their numbers. Their PR this month is consistent, then.

Retrobox

This IS really nice to see, but I will lower my expectations in regards to how much mobile games can truly boost sales of Nintendo's dedicated gaming devices. Pokemon Go is probably best case scenario already. Even a Mario mobile game wouldn't have the same impact.
But yeah, that's exactly how mobile games can be used as a strategy to win over some people.

Asd202

I was thinking the real headline here is that fucking Monster Hunter was the top selling sku of the month, and then I looked at the new retail releases of July, and see that somehow, Monster Hunter was the least niche game to get a physical release that month

Code:
[Feb, 2015] 3DS Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom) < 195,000 (290,000 including digital sales)
[Jul, 2016] 3DS Monster Hunter Generations (Capcom) > 165,000

It also most likely sold less than MH4U or around the same. I would rather look at actual numbers than placing on one of the slowest months of the year.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Wonder how much Sun & Moon will actually sell

X & Y is the lowest selling at 15 million copies.

X and Y are still selling and they will definitively outsell Black and White which sold 15.6 million.

Pokémon is definitively a stronger series than years ago. Sun and Moon are gonne sells some insane numbers.

Monster Hunter niche? Dude...

Rowlet

Banned
Wonder how much Sun & Moon will actually sell

X & Y is the lowest selling at 15 million copies.
Actually, black and white sold 15 million respectively as well. I do believe (due to the Pokemon Go hype) that xy should be able to pass black and white by years end - which is a huge accomplishment considering the 3ds was no where near as successful as the DS

bigkrev

As best I can tell, this is the list of games that got physical releases in July

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13
7th Dragon III Code VFD
Ghostbusters
Song of the Deep
Monster Hunter Generations
Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force
Tokiden 2

AmyS

Awesome.

With 3DS sales taking off again, and DQ VII and VIII on the way, I hope the 3DS version of DQ XI eventually gets localized, after its Japanese release next year. So hopefully 2018 for NA and EU. There's No reason 3DS can't have life in 2018.

Crazyorloco

This is amazing really. I thought nintendo would fade until the nx releases...nice to see the 3ds keeping them in the charts.

And monster hunter on top, what an npd.

Top Bottom