• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NPD pr: 3DS is the best selling system in July, sales nearly 80% up YOY

Is there a chance that other mobile versions of their franchises could have a positive impact on handheld sales (whether 3DS or whatever next-gen brings)? Or is this a just Pokemon phenomenon.

Making their mobile titles compatible in some way with their next handheld would be a very good idea. I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is exactly what they have in mind for the mobile Animal Crossing title. Co-Existance between mobile and handheld could actually be a thing - rather than one cannibalising sales of the other, they could actually push them.

Zee-Row

Banned
Is there a chance that other mobile versions of their franchises could have a positive impact on handheld sales (whether 3DS or whatever next-gen brings)? Or is this a just Pokemon phenomenon.

Making their mobile titles compatible in some way with their next handheld would be a very good idea. I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is exactly what they have in mind for the mobile Animal Crossing title. Co-Existance between mobile and handheld could actually be a thing - rather than one cannibalising sales of the other, they could actually push them.

Animal Crossing might , I don't think Fire Emblem will.

Oersted

You remember this I assume

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1253721&page=1

Usobuko

Banned
As best I can tell, this is the list of games that got physical releases in July

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13
7th Dragon III Code VFD
Ghostbusters
Song of the Deep
Monster Hunter Generations
Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force
Tokiden 2

No wonder.

mrmickfran

X and Y are still selling and they will definitively outsell Black and White which sold 15.6 million.

Pokémon is definitively a stronger series than years ago. Sun and Moon are gonne sells some insane numbers.

Actually, black and white sold 15 million respectively as well. I do believe (due to the Pokemon Go hype) that xy should be able to pass black and white by years end - which is a huge accomplishment considering the 3ds was no where near as successful as the DS

Actually surprised at how low B&W sold relative to the DS. Probably had to do with the fact that the DS had 2 gens, a 2nd version of each gen and a remake and each ones sales were eating the other.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Something something Nintendo should go third party something something

Actually surprised at how low B&W sold relative to the DS. Probably had to do with the fact that the DS had 2 gens, a 2nd version of each gen and a remake and each ones sales were eating the other.

DS Piracy was also running rampant by the time Black & White hit the market.

javac

Nintendo have nothing to do with Pokemon Go they said, so why their stock go up they said.
This is why.

Griss

Wow, it's exactly what Iwata and Nintendo planned. They always talked about using smartphone games to drive people back to their core systems and software.

Well done Nintendo, this is really encouraging news.

Azuran

Banned
Too bad people returning to the series are getting treated with the rushed to market 3DS entries.

But hey're coming from Pokémon Go which is now the poster boy for rushed and buggy games. It's not like they're not used to that experience by now after putting up with that mess.

XY and ORAS must feel like a fully realized HD console game compared to that.

Guys, remember when people were saying Pokémon GO and the NES Classic Mini wouldn't help drive up sales for the NX? Well, that is still right, it won't have too much of an impact. However, anything that helps increase brand awareness can't hurt and while this could be a random fluctuation, goddamnit may we refrain from the Nintedoomed talk in the future. You can't kill these motherfuckers.

Calamari41

41 > 38
This is why I laughed every time some salty poster desperately explained that Nintendo, actually, barely gets any financial benefit from Pokemon Go.

NeonZ

The lack of endgame content? Although I don't think something like that really hurts the overall impression of a game to most players. I think keeping XY's world design tied to the 2d grid was a bigger mistake as far as sales go.

Forkball

Nintendo's whole incentive for going mobile was to bring awareness to their products to a new audience. Looks like it's working so far, but I don't think people are going to rush and buy a 3DS when Fire Emblem Mobile comes out.

Mexen

zYUv5qe.gif

cyba89

But some Gaffers said people playing on mobile wouldn't pay >$100 for dedicated gaming hardware and Nintendo would not benefit from the PokéGo hype at all.

Toni

Wow, what happened to PS4 this month?

Not only were they outsold by Xbox One, but also 3DS?

I'm sure Sony's not worried with their current lead, but its pretty telling this market is still as unpredictable as ever.

Sony needs VR and Neo get big this holiday season.

Thud

But some Gaffers said people playing on mobile wouldn't pay >$100 for dedicated gaming hardware and Nintendo would not benefit from the PokéGo hype at all.

Need something for the days it's raining.

Or parents noticing how they can keep kids busy :p.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I repeat: Pokemon GO proving once again that Nintendo should
not
go third-party soon.

Nintendo has to get Niantic to release Gen 2 on Pokemon GO a week before the Sun/Moon launch. That would probably be enough to get Sun/Moon near OG Ruby/Sapphire sales.

donny2112

DS in July of its 6th calendar year sold ~3x as much as 3DS did this month. 3DS did beat out GBA in its 6th calendar year, but considering that GBA's successor was released 2 years previous, GBA was still doing really well!

If "some Gaffers" said there'd be zero impact, they were obviously wrong. It's still a light-year away from healthy comparing to past handheld platforms, though.

inner-G

Banned
Wow, what happened to PS4 this month?

Not only were they outsold by Xbox One, but also 3DS?

I'm sure Sony's not worried with their current lead, but its pretty telling this market is still as unpredictable as ever.

Sony needs VR and Neo get big this holiday season.
People are waiting for the NEO announcement I'd guess, instead of forking over MSRP now

It also most likely sold less than MH4U or around the same. I would rather look at actual numbers than placing on one of the slowest months of the year.

It's rather good, all things considered:
- MH4U was released at the same time as the New Nintendo 3DS
- MH4U was a new generation in the Monster Hunter series for western players (as MH4 wasn't localized). MHGen is a somewhat rushed best-of game with little original content (7 new boss monsters).
- MH4U came out two years after the last localized MH game (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3DS/Wii U = March 2013); MHGen released just one year after the last localized MH game.

I think this bodes well for the NX. If Nintendo can leverage mobile games to get more people interested in its games and the NX is modestly priced then we might see a Wii-like scenario.

Top Bottom