• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub VR gameplay.

spwolf

Well compared to what was on the TV screen, yes it looked bad due to lots of aliasing and far off objects having any detail in Eve (that's the only demo I had tried at BB). But again as I said, once your eyes begin to adjust and ignore those artifacts, it doesn't look bad and the experience is amazing.

if you actually look the whole video and not comment based on some other game you played, guy playing says it looks very good.

not every game is going to look the same on PSVR.

farisr

Is this because the PSVR screen quality is bad or just that the screen is right in your eyes?

I am sure PSVR2 will be much much better than this. VR is the real deal compared to 3D which sucked.
Well after just doing a simple test with my phone (which is 1080p, and has a worse quality screen than PSVR, and approximately the same ppi), pulled up a 1080p screenshot and the text and everything looked clear a few inches away from my face from the approximate distance of the psvr screen.

I think it's more likely it was an adjustment issue + the game having to make sacrifices to run on a regular ps4 rather than the capability or quality of the screen itself.

But yeah, obviously if you're comparing how something looks on the tv a few feet away, to how that same thing looks a few inches away, the image on the tv is going to fair better. I just think the reports of bluriness, screen door etc are being worsened due to the games possibly not even running at the display's native resolution.

But yeah, VR is the real deal. I hope it does well enough to warrant a PSVR2 on the PS5.

After playing The Heist demo over a week ago (and forgetting to do an adjustment to make it clearer), I want PSVR now. I would've bought it even at that blurry quality that I had (it's actually clearer than what I played) on a regular ps4, but since the Neo is coming out, I can't wait to see how the quality improves on that.

Cuburt

Well after just doing a simple test with my phone (which is 1080p, and has a worse quality screen than PSVR, and approximately the same ppi), pulled up a 1080p screenshot and the text and everything looked clear a few inches away from my face from the approximate distance of the psvr screen.
Hardly an accurate test.

Your eyes will also be staring at the screen though lenses which magnify the pixels.

Hardly an accurate test.

Your eyes will also be staring at the screen though lenses which magnify the pixels.

I noticed SDE on both the VIVE and Oculus when I tried them out. Don't see how much lower resolution screens are going to look better in that regard, or all that much different from his test.

I'm not interested in this type of VR, but if I were it would be a few years until I would bother using it. The resolution of the screens needs to be significantly higher for it not to be a complete dealbraker for me.

farisr

Hardly an accurate test.
Never claimed it was, just to give some sort of an idea as to what a 1080p image, with a similar ppi held up close to your face looks like. The lenses while magnifying aren't going to all of a sudden magnify things to a point where you're seeing less pixels. You're effectively seeing 1920x1080 pixels when viewing things through the headset.

XlcUBCW.gif

nasanu

Banned
But... But...

Gaf told me the PS4 can't do VR and this is why NEO exists..

That video is obviously just a lie.

Always thought racing gamers are perfect for VR. With this, GTS and I assume AC, great times are coming for racing game fans who happen to own a PS4.

wapplew

I'm so happy that VR might revive some downhill/dead genre. Racing, space combat, on rail shooter, mech, all will benefit from VR.

ty_hot

Will there be VR mode for Bikes as well? I won't have a VR anytime soon, just curious. And hoping for a Bikes psn sale as I still don't have it (I love DC and would buy it instantly).

krang

But... But...

Gaf told me the PS4 can't do VR and this is why NEO exists..

That video is obviously just a lie.

Always thought racing gamers are perfect for VR. With this, GTS and I assume AC, great times are coming for racing game fans who happen to own a PS4.

Who said that?

cakefoo

Never claimed it was, just to give some sort of an idea as to what a 1080p image, with a similar ppi held up close to your face looks like. The lenses while magnifying aren't going to all of a sudden magnify things to a point where you're seeing less pixels. You're effectively seeing 1920x1080 pixels when viewing things through the headset.
When you said "a few inches" I knew you didn't know what you were doing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is this going to be free for folks who already have Driveclub?

farisr

Is this going to be free for folks who already have Driveclub?
Driveclub VR? No. For people who have the season pass, there may be a discount.

As for the new tracks that are coming with Driveclub VR, those tracks will be added to Driveclub in a free update.

Synth

If you're able to clearly focus on the phone's screen then you're holding it too far away to approximate the view that would be occupied by VR.

I'm assuming you've never tried a VR headset before? Because you'd know such an experiment is silly otherwise.

Well that was a pointless exercise.

Now put some lenses in front of your eyes that massively magnify everything and put your phone screen up to your face.

*edit* I see it's already been said. Like the poster above me, I assume you've never worn a headset.

Qassim

It's great that PSVR uses RGB compared to Pentile of the other VR headsets
RGB on right, can see less pixelation higher subpixels compared to Gentile displays
$

This image is *years* old, by the way. Compare a modern RGB AMOLED to a modern Pentile AMOLED for fairness.

RGB would definitely be preferrable and allows the PSVR screen to punch above its weight in some regards (based on people's reports, haven't tried it for myself), but I don't think the difference is anywhere close to as pronounced as it once was. It isn't really perceptable on modern phone screens to me anymore, but I do understand VR screens are much closer to your face so you probably will see a difference. It's important to remember that the other headsets have higher resolution displays, the RGB PSVR display is there to bring it closer - not to necessarily make it 'better' (although it may have some favourable characteristics nontheless).

vivftp

This image is *years* old, by the way. Compare a modern RGB AMOLED to a modern Pentile AMOLED for fairness.

RGB would definitely be preferrable and allows the PSVR screen to punch above its weight in some regards (based on people's reports, haven't tried it for myself), but I don't think the difference is anywhere close to as pronounced as it once was. It isn't really perceptable on modern phone screens to me anymore, but I do understand VR screens are much closer to your face so you probably will see a difference. It's important to remember that the other headsets have higher resolution displays, the RGB PSVR display is there to bring it closer - not to necessarily make it 'better' (although it may have some favourable characteristics nontheless).

Also keep in mind it's not only the RGB pattern on PSVR, but that the gap between pixels is smaller in the middle portion of the screen, causing a reduction in SDE. I dunno if we ever got info on what portion of the screen has this done to it. I'm sure someone will tear one apart and stick it under a microscope at some point though.

Synth

A lot of people all over the internet including this site. Some people are still saying it to this day.

I don't think I've ever read a claim here that PS4 couldn't do VR. I've read people state that it may not be able to do VR well , which is a different (and subjective) point. The Neo for example should be able to handle VR whilst maintaining the same graphical levels we expect from standard PS4 software, whilst something like Driveclub VR requires significant sacrifice compared to the original game in order to run. This isn't the same case with PC VR where you can simply spec accordingly. Games like Elite Dangerous or Project Cars are the exact same games they were pre-VR.

I don't think I've ever read a claim here that PS4 couldn't do VR. I've read people state that it may not be able to do VR well , which is a different (and subjective) point. The Neo for example should be able to handle VR whilst maintaining the same graphical levels we expect from standard PS4 software, whilst something like Driveclub VR requires significant sacrifice compared to the original game in order to run. This isn't the same case with PC VR where you can simply spec accordingly. Games like Elite Dangerous or Project Cars are the exact same games they were pre-VR.

That is what I meant. People are saying PSVR will be shit on the current model.

Loudninja

citation needed

It was debunked but still.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224049&page=1

Chris_C

It's not much of a difference, but it is an important difference. Driveclub VR doesn't disprove anyone that feels the PS4 isn't powerful enough for "good" VR. Even a mobile phone can "do" VR. It's all relative.

By this logic nothing may ever be powerful enough for 'good' VR, there will always be relatively more powerful hardware.

Synth

By this logic nothing may ever be powerful enough for 'good' VR, there will always be relatively more powerful hardware.

Sure. But that logic has always been constant with tech. Like, people say the XB1 is weak, but that's in comparison to a PS4. For someone running a high-density PC with a Vive, the PS4 probably compares about as well as a WiiU does to a PS4.

People's measure of "good" VR will change over time, like with everything else.

We all want better, nicer things.

The important question for me is.... "Is PSVR + PS4 good enough to capture the imagination of mass market consumers?"

I think it's a YES.

DieH@rd

Banned
Woah, how the hell did they get this graphical fidelity at 1080p/60?!?

Well, we really don't know the true performance of regular Driveclub since it is always locked at 30. For all we know, they locked it because game is running at 40-45fps.

VR version has no dynamic time of day, probably no rain&snow, number of cars on track is reduced a bit, opponent cars are probably using a bit less polys or stronger LOD states, particle amount and quality is reduced, and there is no DOF/Blur effects... but even after all this game still looks great.

cooldawn

Sorry, I'm out of the loop here. Rushy worked for Evolution, now for Codemasters.

I can believe the majority of PSVR DriveClub had already been done within Evolution...with the last bits tidied up by some other Sony studio for release. However, how would Rushy know about Sony's plans and be able to post on Twitter about them? Still has a strong tie to PlayStation or the DriveClub project? What would Codemasters think about this?

Rushy

Sorry, I'm out of the loop here. Rushy worked for Evolution, now for Codemasters.

I can believe the majority of PSVR DriveClub had already been done within Evolution...with the last bits tidied up by some other Sony studio for release. However, how would Rushy know about Sony's plans and be able to post on Twitter about them? Still has a strong tie to PlayStation or the DriveClub project? What would Codemasters think about this?
The team continued our work on DCVR whilst at Codemasters. The focus has been on our new racing IP during the past few months, but DCVR has been ongoing up until very recently.

Our future plans are now are 100% on our new game.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
The team continued our work on DCVR whilst at Codemasters. The focus has been on our new racing IP during the past few months, but DCVR has been ongoing up until very recently.

Awesome, sounds like you've done a fantastic job. Will you be bringing your new game to VR too, now you have experience?

cooldawn

Oh wow...I didn't realise Codemasters were so affable in that regard. Well done them and well done Rushy and the team for bringing new content to DriveClub.

I'm amazed...and I have a big grin on my face. This is just brilliant.

I love that this industry can cooperate in projects like this. Even if money changed hands to make it happen, it's good news for gamers in the end. Credit to all the ex-Evo team and their management for what looks to be a fantastic debut for PlayStation VR. Day one purchase. Can't wait to play in October.

Top Bottom