• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed Extended Gameplay Breakdown with Obsidian | Official Xbox Podcast

Vasto

On this bonus episode of the Official Xbox Podcast we dive into even more Avowed gameplay while chatting with Game Director Carrie Patel and Gameplay Director Gabe Paramo. Enjoy!

00:00 Introductions
01:25 What makes Avowed an Obsidian game?
03:19 Mission location
05:19 Combat and weapon loadouts
10:14 Crowd control and elemental damage
12:49 Branching dialogs and companions
16:16 What is Shatterskarp
19:07 What it's like developing the game
22:39 What the Avowed title means
23:43 Final thoughts & goodbye

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I'm shocked that they are using an attractive, feminine-looking woman in the press material. Seems like a big deal.

m2bR0gR.jpg

New Xbox Wire post too: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/01/22/avowed-developer-direct-side-quest-deep-dive/

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll give it a shot since it's on GP, but not feeling it the more I see it.

Guns should have no place in a setting with swords, goblin enemies and magic users.

Based off the trailer years ago, I was expecting a darker and grittier game. But it's actually bright and bloomy action/RPG for the family with NPCs who talk like guys in college.

Mister Wolf

Digital Foundry mentioned in their latest Direct that the footage shown had both Nanite and Lumen, along with UE5 virtual shadow maps.

Looks like this is going to be Obsidian's most technically ambitious game to date, easily.

Hopefully they give us the option to use Hardware Lumen on PC.

Mortisfacio

Yet the The Outer Worlds was garbage.

That's ultimately why I'm not day 1 on Avowed. I loved Outer Worlds the first 10 or so hours, then I just felt the obligation to finish to get more achievements but wasn't enjoying my time spent. Largely because the core gameplay wasn't fun and combat felt dated.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Digital Foundry mentioned in their latest Direct that the footage shown had both Nanite and Lumen, along with UE5 virtual shadow maps.

Looks like this is going to be Obsidian's most technically ambitious game to date, easily.
It just seems so inconsistent. The environments look awesome, but the character models look like garbage. The art on the character models doesn't seem to match the realism in the environments as well.

Varteras

Gold Member
I want to like Avowed. I think it's definitely a more colorful setting than the washed-out palettes we get in Bethesda games. It catches the eye better. But the combat. The actual gameplay. It's just lackluster. They should make whatever games they want to make. But, after seeing this, I really want them to stop following Bethesda down the hill. They deserve better for themselves than being "Other Bethesda". They're a better studio.

Should they remove the hit-stop from melee attacks?

Reduce it. Not remove it. Adds weight to the attacks.

I'm shocked that they are using an attractive feminine-looking woman in the press material. Seems like a big deal.

m2bR0gR.jpg

New Xbox Wire post too: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/01/22/avowed-developer-direct-side-quest-deep-dive/
You are correct sir. Imagine the outrage over at Resetera and other certain gaming sites. How dare Obsidian objectify women by putting an attractive lady in its game?!? Nice to see some form of sanity still around that doesnt believe in going all in on manly looking women in their games. There just may still be hope for this world lol.

Bkdk

It's almost like the devs from piranha bytes that is rumored to be shut down have joined obsidian. I'll play it for sure since it's from obsidian and since it's in gamepass, just would lower my expectations.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
You are correct sir. Imagine the outrage over at Resetera and other certain gaming sites. How dare Obsidian objectify women by putting an attractive lady in its game?!? Nice to see some form of sanity still around that doesnt believe in going all in on manly looking women in their games. There just may still be hope for this world lol.
For real, though. She's wearing makeup. And she has large lips. You can even see that she has boobs. I imagine this is quite triggering for some people out there.

Mister Wolf

Cyberpunk maybe ?

Thats a good one. Arguably the best. CDProjekt Red are in a league of their own. Unfortunately I prefer Sword and Sorcery over Science Fiction. Especially Science Fiction that doesn't involve humanity regularly interacting with intelligent alien civilizations.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
No, I doubt any of the games they showed get delayed. These are all games in development for a while.

Honestly, I thought Avowed might have been an early '24 game after last year's showcase trailer.

---

The amazing key-art formatted for phones.

I can definitely see a delay for this one. If it needs it, it'll get a delay. 2024 is already pretty full for Xbox anyway.

For real, though. She's wearing makeup. And she has large lips. You can even see that she has boobs. I imagine this is quite triggering for some people out there.
Yes I would imagine there are many upset loons over at Resetera in particular shrieking at the sight of a feminine woman. They would rather she be trans or more masculine so they could feel more safe in their bubbles they occupy or safe spaces haha. As I said, it’s nice to see a dev not cave to these woketards and actually create a feminine looking female character for their new game. The only way to combat the insanity is to fight it head on like this. Bravo to Obsidian and hope more western devs are brave enough to follow suite.

Meanwhile over at Resetera……..
qQWRoM4.gif
Go9R59C.gif

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I know it was Alpha footage but I'm not sure how polished the combat is going to be on release. The enemy animations when hit are either non-existent or poor. The only other thing i'm still not confident with Obsidian about is their story telling.

I will still play the game though.

Top Bottom