• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

So Saheeli is sort of confirmed to be Izzet?

CrB4rcuXgAAY3QS.jpg

From Evan Erwin's twitter.

Daedardus

Today should be the State of Design article where Rosewater shits on BFZ block.

He'll claim the biggest thing holding it back is that there weren't enough Eldrazi.

So Saheeli is sort of confirmed to be Izzet?

From Evan Erwin's twitter.

Oh man this would be great, I'm hoping it can do fresh things for my Nahiri Jeskai deck. It looks like this set will increase the power level of red and blue again, so I believe that there will be at least some good additions.

Yeef

He'll claim the biggest thing holding it back is that there weren't enough Eldrazi.
I think he'll probably lament that they didn't focus on the "Adventure World" aspect at all. He might also point out that a lot of the stuff that green normally does (ramp, big dudes) was showing up in colorless which made green a little worse than normal. That might be more a of a development issue though.

bigkrev

A lot of the issues with the block go away if Oath and Battle had been flipped. Colorless mana is a more interesting concept than Processing, stuff like Thought-knot and Smasher would have made Eldrazi still feel threatening in the face of loosing annihilate, and you wouldn't have the problem in limited of a color being completely unplayable

OnPoint

So about a year a half ago or so, my best friend was going to sell me his collection. I was going to get a pretty amazing set of cards for a great price. Then his house started on fire, right in the room the cards were in. Obviously the great tragedy there is not the cards -- he lost pretty much everything he owned leisure-wise, between his movies and games collection being straight melted. Luckily his family and pets were safe as well. Oddly, during the post fire walkthrough, he was able to set a good portion of what seemed to be the valuable stuff away, though the boxes were all very much in the fire. So the whole year-plus went by without us knowing that those boxes existed, but we didn't know if what was in them was good.

We didn't have access to it until Saturday when we were moving him back into his now-refinished, remodled and amazing house (insurance money is REAL). He pulled them out of the box from the insurance company, handed them to me, said thanks for the help and that they were mine since he pretty much already got paid by the insurance money for them. Luckily, mostly everything in the boxes was intact, and I ended up with a Force of Will, a handful of Ancient Tombs, a Scalding Tarn, a couple Craterhoofs, Griselbrands, Ensnaring Bridge... the list goes on. I am lucky to have him as my best friend.

A very small number of the cards got kinda messed up. Two of which were the dual foil copies of Abrupt Decay. They are slightly warped, but not bubbled or damaged otherwise. It's almost like an extreme version of what happens to foils naturally. Do you guys know anything about how you would straighten a foil without further ruining it?

bigkrev

State of Design up. That BFZ section is SAD

What we did right:
Hey you guys still like full art lands
Hey you guys liked ultra rare cards
we did something to the boarder

Wrong:
"Fundamentally wrong about what people liked about Zendikar"
"Fundamental core design issues that I take full responsibility for"
"We fucked up the Eldrazi"

By contrast, the issues with Innestrad were Removing Investigate and doing Eldrazi again too soon

I am glad he noted that they understand they are doing too many mechanics and are not going to get rid of big set mechanics in the small sets anymore- he points Escalate out as something that should have been investigate again

Firemind

Oh man this would be great, I'm hoping it can do fresh things for my Nahiri Jeskai deck. It looks like this set will increase the power level of red and blue again, so I believe that there will be at least some good additions.
It's nice to have dreams.

Kaladesh would have been the perfect spot to give Vedalken back their 5th and 6th appendage. Imagine that art with 2 arms doing something unrelated right there, tinkering or something.

jph139

I like a lot of what Mark's saying there. I feel like Zendikar is really shitty enough that they shouldn't bother returning again but, hey, clearly market research disagrees.

Glad the Meld was crazy popular as well.

New Planeswalker from Kaladesh:

Dovin Baan

Apparently there are Vedalken in Kaladesh, and he's the one to ask for the Gatewatch's help.

Also, he curbed a Gremlin infestation (are we getting gremlins in Kaldesh?!)

This guy is 100% going to turn out evil once, twist, it's revealed the rebels are good guys and he's an asshole.

I love how two of the highlights for BFZ were "Hey, you guys still like gimmicks, so that's great". Also, I love how MaRo's like "We're messing with Exile, it's So Taboo!", Ignoring that in FRF Torrent Elemental was a thing.

Also, it's literally no surprise that Process/Ingest failed, turns out having a mechanic that barely functions in Draft is a terrible idea.

bigkrev

I love how two of the highlights for BFZ were "Hey, you guys still like gimmicks, so that's great". Also, I love how MaRo's like "We're messing with Exile, it's So Taboo!", Ignoring that in FRF Torrent Elemental was a thing.

Also, it's literally no surprise that Process/Ingest failed, turns out having a mechanic that barely functions in Draft is a terrible idea.

Can you imagine the disaster the set would have been without the gimmicks? The sales numbers for November-December would have been scary

Ugh. I forgot how shitty BFZ really was until reading through that today. That was the worst set since Born of the Gods, but the effect was magnified to be even worse than that because it was supposed to establish a "new" setting and couldn't lean on anything else.

Honestly, there's nothing redeemable about BFZ in my mind.

That State of Design column is super depressing for folks like me who loved BFZ and couldn't care less about SOI. Especially the rubbing of salt into your wounds by remindng you that the two settings that represent the nadir of Magic for you are the exact same ones the unwashed masses can't get enough of.

That's my lesson, I suppose: Always count on the majority to fuck things up for those like me in the minority.

bigkrev

That State of Design column is super depressing for folks like me who loved BFZ and couldn't care less about SOI. Especially the rubbing of salt into your wounds by remindng you that the two settings that represent the nadir of Magic for you are the exact same ones the unwashed masses can't get enough of.

That's my lesson, I suppose: Always count on the majority to fuck things up for those like me in the minority.

Serious question- what did you like about BFZ? Why did you hate Innestrad?

Santiako

New story "Homesick"

tl;dr - The Gatewatch has made Jace's house in Ravnica their home base, Baan comes to ask for their help, they refuse, Chandra and Lili planeswalk away to Kaladesh, Nissa and Baan follow.

About half of the story is showing you how cute they all are, it's weird.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
New story "Homesick"

tl;dr - The Gatewatch has made Jace's house in Ravnica their home base, Baan comes to ask for their help, they refuse, Chandra and Lili planeswalk away to Kaladesh, Nissa and Baan follow.

Magic realized it had to get some of that anime money

Serious question- what did you like about BFZ? Why did you hate Innestrad?
I disliked SOI limited it was too curve out dependent to me.
Honestly, there's nothing redeemable about BFZ in my mind.
Oath of the Gatewatch.
New story "Homesick"

it is literally the Jacetice league.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You have to be kidding me with this Magic Story. The Gatewatch all move into one house and have anime slice of life interactions.

Also, the shirtless Gideon meme is true: "She waved pale fingers in the air and rolled her eyes, theatrically. "Surely you've thought the same? It feels like I have to ask him to put a shirt on every other day.""

red13th

I didn't read it, do they really move in to Jace's house? lolololol

EDIT: "Gideon thundered down the stairs, taking them two at a time as he yanked a shirt down over his various bulges, ripples, and throbbing bits. "Oh, good. You remembered today," she said."

omg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

EDIT: "Gideon thundered down the stairs, taking them two at a time as he yanked a shirt down over his various bulges, ripples, and throbbing bits. "Oh, good. You remembered today," she said."

omg

And all of the characters are total anime tropes.

Liliana is a nee-san, Chandra is a genki girl, Nissa is a shrinking violet and Gideon is the boisterous big guy sidekick.

Crocodile

Kaladesh would have been the perfect spot to give Vedalken back their 5th and 6th appendage. Imagine that art with 2 arms doing something unrelated right there, tinkering or something.

The Vedalken on Mirrodin only have multiple limbs because they are crack-addicted mutants. Why would you want to repeat that? :p I guess they could go mechanical and graft prosthesis onto them but the justification would likely be weird or creepy.

Yep. My Saheeli theory is wrong. Dang it.

What was your "theory"?

omg

What. The actual. Fuck.

Santiako

It was interesting that they planted a conflict in Ravnica, though. Vraska has been going around killing (making into stone) Azorius peeps. That could indicate a return to return to Ravnica soonish.

I love how they've basically already set up pieces of Return to Return to Ravnica.

Also, I'm genuinely convinced Gideon has some sort of pheremone power, considering how nearly everyone seems to enjoy the view.

Bets for the Walkers in the set? I'm guessing Saheeli, Baan, and Chandra, but then who's in Aether Revolt?

Can you imagine the disaster the set would have been without the gimmicks? The sales numbers for November-December would have been scary

I mean, the set was opened for 3 reasons really- Gideon, Full Arts, and Expeditions. Gideon would have hit Jace VP levels if the set wasn't opened as much.

The Vedalken on Mirrodin only have multiple limbs because they are crack-addicted mutants. Why would you want to repeat that? :p I guess they could go mechanical and graft prosthesis onto them but the justification would likely be weird or creepy.

They retconned worse things. There's just little that makes Vedalken stand out right now.

OnPoint

What was your "theory"?

Why the quotes lol

Last page I just blunty said what if Saheeli was a villain. Just kind of an out-of-left-field called shot, knew it would probably not be true (she's too sweet looking). Obviously this will not be the case, this dude is clearly the secret villain. It's telegraphed beyond belief and WotC is not yet known for narrative subtlety.

Santiako

Saheeli is probably the leader of the Revolt (with maybe Chandra's mom who secretly obviously alive) and Baan I'm going to guess is an agent of Bolas (he really needs to come back).

bigkrev

You guys are doing a good job making me want to read a Magic Story article for the first time. Considering the popularity of stuff like Force of Will and Weiss Schwartz, it appears that gamers actually LIKE trashy LN stuff!

OnPoint

I love how they've basically already set up pieces of Return to Return to Ravnica.

Also, I'm genuinely convinced Gideon has some sort of pheremone power, considering how nearly everyone seems to enjoy the view.

Bets for the Walkers in the set? I'm guessing Saheeli, Baan, and Chandra, but then who's in Aether Revolt?
Bolas or Tezz if they're behind things, and one member of the Gatewatch. It's been the longest since Gideon has gotten a card. So maybe him.

kirblar

BFZ was trash. OGW was what BFZ should have been.

No majority is fucking up anything here- R&D did that all on their own.

Saheeli is probably the leader of the Revolt (with maybe Chandra's mom who secretly obviously alive) and Baan I'm going to guess is an agent of Bolas (he really needs to come back).

Considering the Rebels would need an advantage to even stand a chance, Saheeli and her "New artifice" is likely involved in the Revolt.

Baan definitely doesn't feel like he'd be working for Bolas unless it's a Skyward Eyes Prophet deal, he definitely seems UW to the core.

OnPoint

Baan definitely doesn't feel like he'd be working for Bolas unless it's a Skyward Eyes Prophet deal, he definitely seems UW to the core.

Why couldn't UW work for Bolas? The color identity of his subordinates doesn't necessarily have to line up with Bolas himself. Maybe working for Bolas allows him to keep order in the society he lives and loves and it's a means to an end.

I'm actually expecting the hard heel-turn when two or more members of the Gatewatch are talking to him about what's going on and slowly realize, outloud in conversation that he's behind it. He's looking out the window, then he slowly turns with the maniacal laughter, and knocks them both out with a spell.

jph139

Saheeli is UR, Chandra is R, and Baan is probably either UW or UB. So we're set on Blue and Red for sure, 100% need Green, and will need Black and/or White.

So that being said, I doubt well see Bolas or Tezzeret, since that'd be an overload on Izzet colors. I could see a new Gideon or Nissa, I guess. Otherwise I have no idea. Garruk? Ob Nixilis? Karn?

Daedardus

New story "Homesick"

I tried reading this. Please, kill me now.

Santiako

Saheeli is UR, Chandra is R, and Baan is probably either UW or UB. So we're set on Blue and Red for sure, 100% need Green, and will need Black and/or White.

So that being said, I doubt well see Bolas or Tezzeret, since that'd be an overload on Izzet colors. I could see a new Gideon or Nissa, I guess. Otherwise I have no idea. Garruk? Ob Nixilis? Karn?

Chandra is on the planeswalker precon, so she might not be in the actual set.

jph139

If she's RU, he's not UW. My money is on either mono-W, or something weird like WG

I dunno, Vedalken were designed as iconically Blue, so it'd be weird for him not to be. Like a non-Green Elf walker or a non-Red Goblin. But they have Merfolk now so, I dunno, maybe they'll step back and push them into other colors.

Chandra is on the planeswalker precon, so she might not be in the actual set.

I'm pretty sure they confirmed the precon walkers will all also have cards in the main set... as redundant as that may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom