• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, can I just ask another beginner's question? I'm a little lost and I did google this, but I can't figure out which boxes, sets, expansions and whatnot are legal to combine. In other words, I don't know what booster packs I can buy to add to my Origins Deck Builder Kit.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Guys, can I just ask another beginner's question? I'm a little lost and I did google this, but I can't figure out which boxes, sets, expansions and whatnot are legal to combine. In other words, I don't know what booster packs I can buy to add to my Origins Deck Builder Kit.

That depends entirely on how you want to play!

if its just sitting around with friends playing casually, mix in whatever you want

If you want to build a deck to take down to your local game store, the format is likely Standard. That currently includes
Dragons of Tarkir
Magic Origins
Battle for Zendikar and Oath of the Gatewatch
Shadows over Innistrad and Eldritch Moon

However both Dragons and Origins are going to "rotate out" in just about a month, meaning you shouldn't invest too much in cards for those sets

The other major format is Modern, which includes almost all cards from the last decade or so and is very complicated and quite expensive to get into on a competitive level

Last night on MTGO I faced a Modern Nahiri deck, basically the exact same deck that I made up in the previous thread we had.

Besides Nahiri + Liliana of the Veil, it had all of the formats best removal, plus hand disruption. Honestly it was a real pain in the ass. My sideboarded in Batterskull proved too much though, however with such an insanely grindy match (so many lands I didn't even care about fetching any more) it went to time and I lost.

One addition that he was running which I did not have in my version, was the new monoblack creature that's a 3/1, costs 1B, and lets you draw a card and lose a life at each players upkeep if they have no cards in hand. It really worked well for him.

Last night on MTGO I faced a Modern Nahiri deck, basically the exact same deck that I made up in the previous thread we had.

Besides Nahiri + Liliana of the Veil, it had all of the formats best removal, plus hand disruption. Honestly it was a real pain in the ass. My sideboarded in Batterskull proved too much though, however with such an insanely grindy match (so many lands I didn't even care about fetching any more) it went to time and I lost.

One addition that he was running which I did not have in my version, was the new monoblack creature that's a 3/1, costs 1B, and lets you draw a card and lose a life at each players upkeep if they have no cards in hand. It really worked well for him.
Didn't he or she have access to Kolaghan's command? Asylum Visitor saw play in the Champinship as well. Lili enables that card fairly well.

Fou-Lu

MTG has several different competitive formats. If you are just playing casually with friends combine whatever you want. Otherwise, here's a good look at what is in each format.

Standard is typically the biggest format, and modern is probably next, but I know a lot of people who only do booster drafts and play casually as well.

Thanks, Fou and Technomancer. I guess since I'm only playing with a friend right now I can mix whatever I want.

I went to my local shop yesterday and the guy gave me thirty red cards from Magic 2014 for free since i bought a bunch of dice and card sleeves. Some of those seem cool, so I'm just gonna mix them into one of my Origins decks.

That depends on what you want to do. For simple casual play with friends everything that you agree on is fair game. The most common format played at stores and tournaments is Standard. It's a rotating format so the legal cards will change every 6 months. Right now everything that was printed in the expansions Dragons of Tarkir, Origins, Battle for Zendikar, Oath of the Gatewatch, Shadows over Innistrad and Eldritch Moon is legal. In a month or so Dragons and Origins will rotate out and Kaladesh and the set after (that will be released in 2-4 month, not sure) will become legal. Then there is Modern, where every card printed in the expansion "8th Edition" and later is legal as long as it's not on the banlist. You can see all printings of a card by searching for it e.g. on http://gatherer.wizards.com.

To add to the confusion there are multiple supplemental products (like duel decks or Eternal Masters Boosters) that don't include any new cards but consist of reprints of already existing cards. That means that even if a card is "new" it doesn't necessarily mean it's legal in Standard or even Modern (Eternal Masters, which came out this year, for example had a lot of really old cards that never saw print in one of the main expansions that are legal in Modern and therefore are not legal there). A timeline of all sets can be found at Wikipedia. The important pats here are the "Core Sets" and the "Expansions".

But as mentioned previously, as long as you're just playing with friends you can combine everything with everything.

Didn't he or she have access to Kolaghan's command? Asylum Visitor saw play in the Champinship as well. Lili enables that card fairly well.

Yup, he did. I saw it played, but not against my BS. I don't remember what game it was played in though. Perhaps he took it out or he just never drew it in later games.
He'd kill/exile my germ creature with something, then I'd return BS to my hand.

Remember you can return BS to your hand at instant speed.

EDIT: But I wonder if you chose the two abilities as to kill artifact, they return it to their hand, then as the second choice you have them discard a card. Not sure if that can stack in that manner.

Daedardus

Yup, he did. I saw it played, but not against my BS. I don't remember what game it was played in though. Perhaps he took it out or he just never drew it in later games.
He'd kill/exile my germ creature with something, then I'd return BS to my hand.

Remember you can return BS to your hand at instant speed.

EDIT: But I wonder if you chose the two abilities as to kill artifact, they return it to their hand, then as the second choice you have them discard a card. Not sure if that can stack in that manner.

Upon casting you choose both modes plus targets, then someone can active the return ability that goes on top of the stack, resolves before the Command and then the Command gets countered if it doesn't have a legal target anymore. You resolve the card in order the abilities are printed on it, and you always resolve a card in full before anyone can respond to it.

Upon casting you choose both modes plus targets, then someone can active the return ability that goes on top of the stack, resolves before the Command and then the Command gets countered if it doesn't have a legal target anymore. You resolve the card in order the abilities are printed on it, and you always resolve a card in full before anyone can respond to it.

That's right. :p

In the order they are printed. There's no way around it on Modo but I need to remember that for paper Magic.

Kerrinck

If its the situation he's suggesting, it won't get countered since one of the targets is still legal.

f0rk

The discard part targets, so the command wouldn't be countered and he would have to discard the Batterskull (if his hand was previously empty)

Let's inspect the card here

oh6nl566ebsc57s8rjo5pjb8hsr26cps-l2.jpg

So Kommand gets played and the modes are chosen, in response, return BS to hand to save it, but uh-oh, it will get discarded when the Kommand resolves.

EDIT: But it never happened in the games I played anyway. I just returned it to hand so I could recast it and get my germ token back because BS needs a pilot (so to speak). He took care of my other threats: Raging Ravine, Grim Flayer and Tarmogoyf, by destruction, exiling, or hand removal.

Daedardus

If its the situation he's suggesting, it won't get countered since one of the targets is still legal.

I'm not saying it will get countered in that situation, but I was just explaining how a modal cards work. In this case, yes, the discard will still trigger.

Kaladesh with the Pros panel starting soon, where pro players give their hot takes on cards and mechanics revealed so far.

EDIT: I hadn't considered the fact that they dodge sorcery-speed creature removal.

EDIT: More positive about Fleetwheel Cruiser (vehicle that enters as a creature until end of turn) than I expected.

Preview card:

Aerial Responder - 1WW
Uncommon
Creature - Dwarf Soldier
Flying, vigilance, lifelink
2/3

Basically, white Vampire Nighthawk.

EDIT:

Ceremonious Rejection - U
Uncommon
Instant
Counter target colorless spell.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You are a 2/3 and you are a 2/3! Everyone is a 2/3!

I wish they printed a spirit version of that.

aerialresponder.jpg
ceremoniousrejection.jpg

Also, earlier spoiler.

ovalchasedaredevil.jpg

Ovalchase Daredevil - 3B
Creature - Human Pilot
Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield under your control, you may return Ovalchase Daredevil from your graveyard to your hand.
4/2

Supast4r

aerialresponder.jpg
ceremoniousrejection.jpg

Also, earlier spoiler.

ovalchasedaredevil.jpg

Ovalchase Daredevil - 3B
Creature - Human Pilot
Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield under your control, you may return Ovalchase Daredevil from your graveyard to your hand.
4/2

Rejection is going to MAKE WAVES in vintage. The next vintage super league will look very different because this card exist.

I just went 2-0 against Death's Shadow Aggro (I'm playing Jund). That was my first time playing that match up. Was fun but had me nervous.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Rejection is going to make me rage so hard in Limited

It doesn't matter if its actually not a great card to pick up in the draft

Having my Counsul Skyship or whatever taken out for 1 mana is always going to sting

Annul is already a 1-mana counter for artifacts (and enchantments), so the only other thing this hits is Eldrazi.
Image.ashx

Kaladesh is not as heavy on "artifacts matter" as Mirrodin
Why metalcraft isn't in
Energy is not parasitic, effectively same as charge counters on own
dragonianking asked: Is this the artifact matters set I have been waiting for since Mirrodin

It has some “artifacts matters” in it but nowhere close to the levels of Mirrodin.

==

pleasant-and-plump asked: In your eventual article, do you explain why Metalcraft didn't fit? Or would that work better for a podcast?

I talk more about why we included what we did use than why we didn’t use things. The two biggest strikes against Metalcraft was 1) we are trying to differentiate Kaladesh from Mirrodin and 2) it didn’t help the variance of play issue we wanted to help you “feel like an inventor”.

==

krinstranger asked: Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited for Kaladesh, but I just have to say it: Energy is the most parasitic mechanic since Arcane.

That’s simply not true. Energy cards in a vacuum are just artifacts/creatures with charge counters that allow a limited number of uses (a la something like Serrated Arrows).

Yes, there’s extra synergy if you play multiple, but they don’t require it. One Splice onto Arcane spell, in contrast, literally won’t work.

El Topo

Annul is already a 1-mana counter for artifacts (and enchantments), so the only other thing this hits is Eldrazi.

True, but depending on where Eldrazi end up in Modern (with Eldrazi Bant) or in Legacy it could see play as a sideboard card. Not sure if there is an enchantment deck in Modern other than one deck that plays creature enchantments whose name I can't remember right now, so Eldrazi+Artifact *could* be good enough to see sideboard play. Then again, probably better to just play focussed sideboard cards.

Ashodin

True, but depending on where Eldrazi end up in Modern (with Eldrazi Bant) or in Legacy it could see play as a sideboard card. Not sure if there is an enchantment deck in Modern other than one deck that plays creature enchantments whose name I can't remember right now, so Eldrazi+Artifact *could* be good enough to see sideboard play. Then again, probably better to just play focussed sideboard cards.
Karn? Eugene?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The best part about vintage colorless eldrazi is seeing warping wail played in vintage.

BBD won 3-0

Wow

Such a skill intensive deck

The way I understand it, CoCo decks have a high base level, but at the pro level, there really is a lot of room to show your skill with deck building, side boarding, and properly timing your actions.

EDIT: Gotta love the mic not working during the interview.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
636085173181232013.jpg

Given that it's a common, I can't imagine it'll get much crazier than this. It already seems good for Limited. Whatever's being covered up is probably either giving energy, an energy kicker effect (like "You may pay E. If you do, that creature gets +5/+5 instead"), or a doozy of flavor text.

the censored area is actually a ruse, it just says 'but' above 'you will have to wait until monday'

I wonder if the half hidden larger than life card will debut the 'can't leave the battlefield unless it dies' clause that was talked about in innistrad.

I wonder if the half hidden larger than life card will debut the 'can't leave the battlefield unless it dies' clause that was talked about in innistrad.

I don't think they'll make that evergreen, and I don't think there'll be enough non-destruction removal for it to matter much in Kaladesh, especially if they want to change things from the last two blocks.

But that does remind me, if it is a new evergreen keyword being hidden, it might be the regeneration replacement they were looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom