• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro. 4K TV mode vs 1080p TV mode and the benefits.

Venom Fox

Banned
As we are well aware, (with the 40 threads) the PS4 Pro has just been announced with a price of $399/£349. Releasing on November 10th.

Browsing most of the Pro threads I've came across a ton of misinformation, uncertain posts and sadly, lies. People are wondering if they need a 4K TV to take advantage of Neo or whether playing at 1080p will bring them advantages like better graphics and more stable framerates.

The answer is many games will bring graphical advantages to Pro players who own 1080p TV'S.

At the conference it was said that the Pro will detect what resolution your TV is and switch modes based off that. 4K mode and 1080p mode. These modes are like PC graphics sliders so to speak.

Many developers have or will create different modes based on your TV'S resolution. For example.

A game detects a 4K TV is plugged in, it'll play in 4K Mode with HDR enabled etc which brings an extremely clear and detailed image with natural colours, deeper blacks and brighter whites.

An example of 4K benefits. Best watched on 4K screens.

Horizon in 4k direct feed via gamersyde.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_psm_horizon_ps4_pro_screens_video-18342_en.html

(Non HDR TV'S will probably only get the 4K res benefits without the HDR benefits)

A game detects a 1080p TV is plugged in, it'll play in 1080p with better textures, models, LOD, better framerate etc.

An example of 1080p benefits.

Paragon will also get many improvements for 1080p users as seen here in this clip.

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/Sarobi/status/773603337522425857

GG has also announced PS4 Pro will get super sampling for 1080p users as well. It was on the live stream panel. Source is banned.

Looking at Rise of The Tomb Raider as another example and to simplify it further. The devs have announced 3 separate modes based on your TV'S resolution. These are: (from the other thread)

- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices.

- 1080p high framerate mode, the game running at >45 currently.

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max.

Source:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1275235

As you can see, there will be numerous benefits to 1080p users. Bear in mind though that not all devs will do this but I think most will.

Also talk of switching res setting via the console to swap between modes sounds good. It should be a viable way imo.

Mods close if unnecessary.

LOUD915

I don't have a 4K TV (i have a plasma and I'm not about to give it up)

I will buy this day 1 because I want my 1080p games to run at a higher framerate.

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
I just hope I can turn my PS4 resolution to 1080p and the game thinks I am running a 1080p TV. Would be stupid if I could only use the 4k mode because I own a 4K TV

Colbert

Banned
VenomFox:

Do you have information about the launch PS4 / PS4 Slim and how the HDR will work with HDMI 1.4? (after patch)

Foxxsoxx

Thank you for the information, I definitely want to see more developers plans before even thinking about making a purchase. Also seeing the differences in action would really help.

Nzyme32

More misinformation in your OP - Rise of The TombRaider has a high frame rate mode that is 1080p with unlocked framerate. The developer states it is at >45fps - not "targeting 60fps". The Dev never says that and I have no idea why the OP of the other thread is consistently pushing this

Venom Fox

Banned
More misinformation in your OP - Rise of The TombRaider has a high frame rate mode that is 1080p with unlocked framerate. The developer states it is at >45fps - not "targeting 60fps". The Dev never says that and I have no idea why the OP of the other thread is consistently pushing this
Updated with currently instead of what the other OP used.
Can't wait to buy it.
Already pre ordered mine.

I'm so sold on this thing, pre-ordered at multiple sites, but I just want to know if BF1 will run at a locked 60FPS. I know about Sony wanting the multiplayer FPS to be equal, but c'mon. I at least hope that they will absolutely jack up the graphics if the framerate is going to stay the same (not that it won't improve on release like Battlefront, though).

Venom Fox

Banned
But that isn't true either. It won't change; He specifically says that since it is just unlocking the framerate of the original game at 1080p

But it's not untrue either. The game is still not finished yet so there could be optimisations. Which is likely the case.

Also it is currently >45FPS that's what the devs are saying so my OP is correct.

ViciousDS

Banned
can't wait for DF to show what trade offs need to be made for that 4k mode. I'm all in for 1080p bells and whistles!!!

I'm so sold on this thing, pre-ordered at multiple sites, but I just want to know if BF1 will run at a locked 60FPS. I know about Sony wanting the multiplayer FPS to be equal, but c'mon. I at least hope that they will absolutely jack up the graphics if the framerate is going to stay the same (not that it won't improve on release like Battlefront, though).

The frame rate will almost certainly be more stable on Neo if thats what you're asking.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Watch_Dogs 2 and CoD both looked much better in effects than the standard PS4 version even in their 4K modes. I'd imagine the added effects plus super sampling is going to be the standard for 1080p users.

Soooo... if you have a 4k TV, but it doesnt have HDR, does that mean you wouldnt get any of the 4k benefits, but the 1080p ones?

Sorry if thats a dumb question!

Venom Fox

Banned
I wonder whether Sony just meant for 30fps multiplayer games? BF1 will be marketed at 60fps on the OG so if Pro is 60fps locked it's not exactly lying or an advantage.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
What if you have a 4k TV but want the 1080p version with its benefits instead?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As you can see, there will be numerous benefits to 1080p users. Bear in mind though that not all devs will do this but I think most will.

I would bet against this.

I'd imagine there'll be a setting to select your resolution preference. I'd rather have all the extra eye candy and just let my TV do the upscaling.

Can't wait for some direct-feed tomb raider images to see if it has sss during gameplay. Maybe it's running cutscene level shaders in realtime?

mySrO0.png

Spiderman looks good too

B1AtNt.png

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What if you have a 4k TV but want the 1080p version with its benefits instead?

You can switch, otherwise there would be no point to Tomb Raider having 3 modes. PS3 let you do it with certain games. FFX remaster would go 720p FXAA if you had it on 720p settings, and 1080p no AA with some FPS drops if you had the settings at 1080p

KH 1.5 remaster allowed 720p with 2xMSAA if you had it set to 720p. If you set it to 1080p, it would be 810p with no AA.

I wonder whether Sony just meant for 30fps multiplayer games? BF1 will be marketed at 60fps on the OG so if Pro is 60fps locked it's not exactly lying or an advantage.

That's what I'm thinking too! Time will tell! BF1 at a smooth, silky 60FPS (on console, dammit) would be dreamy :()

xzeldax3

You can switch, otherwise there would be no point to Tomb Raider having 3 modes. PS3 let you do it with certain games. FFX remaster would go 720p FXAA if you had it on 720p settings, and 1080p no AA with some FPS drops if you had the settings at 1080p

KH 1.5 remaster allowed 720p with 2xMSAA if you had it set to 720p. If you set it to 1080p, it would be 810p with no AA.
Does KH 2.5 do the same thing?

wtd2009

hope digital foundry and others look into/demonstrate this a lot over the next year, i'm looking for reasons to buy the pro without owning a 4k/hdr capable tv.

Venom Fox

Banned
hope digital foundry and others look into/demonstrate this a lot over the next year, i'm looking for reasons to buy the pro without owning a 4k/hdr capable tv.
Same. I expect they will to show the improvements off. Things look really promising for now!

Niks

I think sony really failed to show and speak up about the benefits of PS4 pro at 1080p. Most of their actual consumers are on 1080p sets, instead they focused on 4K.

Total fumble imo.

Venom Fox

Banned
I think sony really failed to show and speak up about the benefits of PS4 pro at 1080p. Most of their actual consumers are on 1080p sets, instead they focused on 4K.

Total fumble imo.
I thought they were pretty clear but the confusion on here and Reddit is crazy.

Sony need to double clarify asap.

low-G

Can't wait for some direct-feed tomb raider images to see if it has sss during gameplay. Maybe it's running cutscene level shaders in realtime?

mySrO0.png

Look up how the game performs on a GTX 970 or so to get a rough idea what the PS4 Neo will do in the game. (you won't get cutscene models in gameplay)

Floody

If more devs go the Rise of The Tomb Raider route, I'll quickly go from a probably pick one up in a year or 2, to definitely getting one when Horizon releases (as I'm guessing they'll be one of the first non-holiday game to get bundled with 1).

Also, Nixxes/Crystal Dynamics have just got me to double dip on RoTTR, which I had no plans to do.

bryanee

I said it in another thread but I think all devs/publishers need to release trailers showing the differences in modes they will have on the Neo and how they compare to the OG version of the game.

Top Bottom