• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriox

9k0wp011xolx.png

Splashable Banisher Priest is pretty cool.

It's an easier to cast Fiend Hunter with the updating wording.

I miss the old way they used to print these cards. I understand why they don't do it that way any more, but I miss being able to Cloudshift my Fiend Hunter. :(

It's an easier to cast Fiend Hunter with the updating wording.

I miss the old way they used to print these cards. I understand why they don't do it that way any more, but I miss being able to Cloudshift my Fiend Hunter. :(
It's even worse in multiplaye where the old templating didn't give you your stuff back if the player that exiled it lost.

ultron87

en_HpJJsK3R6H.png

Check that slot off. Does seem really good since the life gain is super useful for the deck that wants a wrath. Also a humorously benign name for killing everything.

Glix

That is a very good wrath, it pretty much kills any chance for GW Tokens to be a deck.

Also:

en_6fCiKgmFY0b.png

Seems quite good.

Would be so much better with no activation cost or energy activation cost, but then probably the +1+1 would be until end of turn. Still, a very solid card. Just sucks you can't protect it from removal if you play it turn 3.

edit - OH SHIT HES A TWO DROP? Solid.

The responses to BBDs frustrated tweet about Worlds are predictably infuriating:

https://twitter.com/BraunDuinIt/status/776146528671035393

Shahar Shenhar: You sound like a fool for being upset.
David Williams: I don't get what the problem is?
Tom Martell: What's your problem, bro? It isn't personal.
PVDDR: You were in the wrong the whole time.
Tom Martell (again): Good thing Worlds doesn't require you to be smart hur hur hur.
Ben Stark: Your idiocy is mind-boggling.

And then this is why he will always be the people's champion:
LSV: I'm legit sorry if upset you, bro.

The responses to BBDs frustrated tweet about Worlds are predictably infuriating:

Tom Martell (again): Good thing Worlds doesn't require you to be smart hur hur hur.

I often wonder what alternate universe of Magic pros LSV comes from

duxstar

en_HpJJsK3R6H.png

Check that slot off. Does seem really good since the life gain is super useful for the deck that wants a wrath. Also a humorously benign name for killing everything.

Wraths like this make me more excited for gw tokens as opposed to less, you just have to accept what i do, selfless spirit and verdurous gearhulk are the new gw token overlords.

Oath of nissa/1 drop green legend
Selfless spirit
Thalia
Gisela
Gideon
Verdurous gearhulk
White angel

Bane

So I've been dipping my toe into Magic lately and have seen where each set has an actual story. How do you tell a story through a ccg?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So I've been dipping my toe into Magic lately and have seen where each set has an actual story. How do you tell a story through a ccg?
Weekly stories on Magic.com and a smattering of story beats cards.

You have cards depict storyline events and otherwise depict the environment, have story summaries included with some physical products, have it play out in the Magic Duels video game, and have online articles depicting the stories.

For example, here are some cards from Eldritch Moon depicting the main story:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

While the story events are at higher rarities, typically, the important characters appear often in the art and flavor text of common cards.

And there are other cards that tell other stories within the world. That set in particular was able to do it through double-faced cards.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Son1x

Wow that wrath seems great. I'm definitely trying out Esper or UW this rotation. Played esper in current one but I felt it lacked useful ifegain cards. With the new enchantment and this wrath, it might just turn things around.

People might not think this format has the card draw to support a Sphinx's Rev-style control deck, but Epiphany at the Drownyard got a LOT better with that new Elixir of Immortality variant. And the wrath has the lifegain to create inevitability. You can't loop your deck forever, but you can long enough if you actually play one or two wincons.

These people are such fucking dopes. "We're not saying anything about you personally bro! We're just saying letting someone in for performance in GPs is a garbage choice for garbage players who shouldn't be allowed to play." FOH.

Some of these guys (Shahar, Dave Williams) are at least trying to be helpful, but I don't think they're really considering the context.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216991534]People might not think this format has the card draw to support a Sphinx's Rev-style control deck, but Epiphany at the Drownyard got a LOT better with that new Elixir of Immortality variant. And the wrath has the lifegain to create inevitability. You can't loop your deck forever, but you can long enough if you actually play one or two wincons.[/QUOTE]

Why not just add green and play seasons past?

What's the full story here? Why was Duin upset to begin with?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Ben Stark was mad his friend didn't make Worlds because he felt that BBD took his spot (since he was next in line on Pro Points and BBD qualified through being the "GP Master" which has nothing to do with Pro Points). PV thought he'd jump into point out what he saw as a fallacy, while simultaneously disclaiming having any interest in the outcome of the argument, e.g. stirring up a semantic shit argument because he's a shitlord.

MegaPanda

They're arguing that the GP/Constructed/Draft Master winners shouldn't get an invite to worlds and it should be based entirely on Pro Points. Apparently it leaves more "deserving" people out. This is right after the 3 GP/Constructed/Draft Master invitees got top 4 at worlds.

The most ridiculous part is that apparently there's no issue with spots going to people that just happened to get lucky enough to win one tournament (PT winners) even though those spots are really no less open to variance and luck than the Master slots were. "Oh, you just picked the right deck and got the right draw! If you'd have faced deck X or Y you'd have been crushed!"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The pros whine about such stupid shit. Real magic players whine about color imbalance and the game being overpriced.

Established pros dont have to worry about stuff like that. They get to focus on the important issues like who deserves to go play in a card game tournament.

Angry Grimace

They're arguing that the GP/Constructed/Draft Master winners shouldn't get an invite to worlds and it should be based entirely on Pro Points. Apparently it leaves more "deserving" people out. This is right after the 3 GP/Constructed/Draft Master invitees got top 4 at worlds.

The problem is that the "deserving " argument is subjective nonsense unless you use it to argue the field is worse because of the non-Pro Point slots. In which case BBD winning the tournament is very relevant. PVDDR is an idiot and Ben Stark just wants his friend in the tournament.

Supast4r

only because of the masterpieces. From the new cards there's
  • a ton of energy that won't make up enough for a dedicated deck yet
  • a legendary that both lacks the sufficient tribe and vehicle support
  • another UG value legendary
  • an artifact that raised immediate cries for bans, which I don't think will be so bad but still might warp the format a bit
  • an artifact legendary that should have been UR
  • a bad angel
  • 2 lacklustre PWs
  • 2 potentially great PWs
  • boring Gearhulk cycle
  • awesome 2nd massacre wurm
  • another doubling value card, really MaRo activated, triggered, tokens, counters, PW ability and a dozen mana wasn't enough?
  • 2 legendaries that straight up feel like worse versions of existing cards
  • a colourless inferno titan, really excited for that one actually
I'd give it between a 7 and an 8 out of 10 depending on how some of the cards parse out.

Still much better than recent sets.

What artifact that will draw bans?

Daedardus

The problem is that the "deserving " argument is subjective nonsense unless you use it to argue the field is worse because of the non-Pro Point slots. In which case BBD winning the tournament is very relevant. PVDDR is an idiot and Ben Stark just wants his friend in the tournament.

Yeah I mean, he won the tournament, that means he was qualified enough to enter it too. I'm not up to speed with this 'drama', but it seems like it's about a total non-issue. It does make many of the pro players look like entitled douches.

On top of the Ben Stark nonsense, it's worth noting that next year is the first time they're not giving the reigning champion an automatic slot so BBD has to requalify again.

The most ridiculous part is that apparently there's no issue with spots going to people that just happened to get lucky enough to win one tournament (PT winners) even though those spots are really no less open to variance and luck than the Master slots were.

If anything the PT spike slots are higher variance. The Master slots all involve strong performance over a whole season so you need to have some consistency to earn them. Conversely, while getting to a Top 8 of a PT is relatively low variance (you have to perform strong in a bunch of rounds to get there), actually winning once you're in the Top 8 is extremely high variance (since you're in a narrow band with seven other extremely strong players.) It's very possible for the GP Master or whatever to earn the slot by a big margin, while functionally every PT winner lucked out (as LSV says) to actually get there.

Yeah I mean, he won the tournament, that means he was qualified enough to enter it too. I'm not up to speed with this 'drama', but it seems like it's about a total non-issue. It does make many of the pro players look like entitled douches.

At least looking at this from outside, BBD seems totally in the right and a lot of people are being elitist douches here.

duxstar

Seeing this response for how the pro's are acting to BBD, is the exact reason I don't want to ever go to a real tournament. How do you ever see PVD in real life and not just want to punch him in the face ?

Look at the bunch of them that think they are entitled to their positions when half of them aren't good enough to be there on their own and just luck sacked into knowing the other magic people that carried them to the top.

Want to know what it takes to be good at magic, Go find other good magic players that have no life like you, spend 12 - 18 hours a day playing magic for 2 weeks before a pro tour, because really who needs a job ? Find the 2 - 3 good deck builders out of 15 guys that know what the hell they are doing and just play their deck, then hope to get lucky in the tournament.

The fact that 90% of them don't even build their own decks, and just play what's given to them is just sad; they claim things like 'well I'm good at standard"; meanwhile there are 10 other guys from their team that all are playing the same deck that won't top 8 an event, but guess what "they are better at standard" then their teammates which is why they win.

If you want to make it an even playing field why don't they have it so that every pro tour all the players get FREE magic cards to build whatever decks they want, so that way the guy that's traveled from 8 hours away for his first pro tour doesn't have to buy $300 in cards just to compete. Because you know its so easy for me to win a PTQ and then have to go out and spend $300 on a playset of Chandra's AND travel 8 hours to a Pro tour, AND hold a full time job.

kirblar

A lot of the PT grinders want GPs minimized as much as possible because they don't want to have to travel to them.

(and yeah, because they can't rely on things like a deckbuilding team)

Angry Grimace

Paulo's argument is that results don't justify the past decision to include the slot, but the problem is that Ben Stark's supposition is demonstrably incorrect: Hayne did not qualify under the published rules and therefore he is clearly not more deserving of the slot. The only way Stark's argument is anything but nonsensical is if its about field quality. Paulo just right now denied that it was about field quality to me on Twitter, and I certainly don't see him piling on Ben Stark for arguing his friend should have made the tourney despite not actually qualifying under the rules.

Want to know what it takes to be good at magic, Go find other good magic players that have no life like you, spend 12 - 18 hours a day playing magic for 2 weeks before a pro tour, because really who needs a job ?

Based on who's successful these days it's more like "get a job at a high paying, objectively evil tech or finance company where you can take weeks off for shits and giggles," really.

What artifact that will draw bans?
Aetherflux Reservoir got some early cries for bans. 50 seems a bit low considering you start at 40 in EDH and gaining life can be quite easy.
I also don't think storm needs more toys in EDH but I doubt it will have that big an impact.
A lot of these pro's sound like entitled pieces of shit.
Have you read Mike Sigrist Eric Froehlich article couple months ago?

Hero

Aetherflux Reservoir got some early cries for bans. 50 seems a bit low considering you start at 40 in EDH and gaining life can be quite easy.
I also don't think storm needs more toys in EDH but I doubt it will have that big an impact.

Have you read Mike Sigrist article couple months ago?

I forget if I did or not. Got a link?

If anything the PT spike slots are higher variance. The Master slots all involve strong performance over a whole season so you need to have some consistency to earn them. Conversely, while getting to a Top 8 of a PT is relatively low variance (you have to perform strong in a bunch of rounds to get there), actually winning once you're in the Top 8 is extremely high variance (since you're in a narrow band with seven other extremely strong players.) It's very possible for the GP Master or whatever to earn the slot by a big margin, while functionally every PT winner lucked out (as LSV says) to actually get there.

Right. Which is why LSV at least seems to get it. You need good decks/draft packs, skill, and luck to win at Magic tournaments and the larger the sample size the less important the luck factor becomes and the more important skill in playing, deck building, reading the meta, drafting, etc. becomes.

And let's be serious here, it's not like the Master's slots let in players that don't know what the tap symbol is in place of circa 2000 Jon and Kai.

I'm not sure which card you're talking about but I don't see how Elixir would make UW Control good without actually having Sphinx's Rev and Supreme Verdict. Epiphany is an inherently bad card: you always get the worst pile.
When you're casting Epiphany for 7 it doesn't matter what pile you get. Also it cycles at x=1 on turn 2 which is a mode that Rev didn't have. Between Epiphany and the new Wrath you have both the card draw and the lifegain.

This is the Elixir variant I was talking about:

perpetualtimepiece.jpg

If your win con is something like Bruna and Gisela than you can make use of both sides of the Timepiece and Epiphany which alleviates a lot of the downsides.

I was looking for a decent MTG youtube channel and I came across

DesolatorMagic

This is a TERRIBLE channel. It sounds like Athur Gies had an unholy child with a conspiracy theorist and that child was really into MTG. He's not completely unintelligent, but I just can't get on his side with just about any of his problems, and he's always acting like he asks the 'important questions'.

Does anyone have a decent channel that discuss the state of the game, strategy, card reviews etc.

Son1x

Epiphany seems like a shitty card tbh. Do you really want to cycle it for the worse card out of the 2? Or almost never get the card you really need.
I'd rather play that fake fact of fiction where one pile is hidden.

Edit: It might work with the elixir thing but I wouldn't try it myself, although I wouldn't mind seeing what people could brew up.

CFB's youtube page has a lot of draft and constructed videos by good players like LSV and Ben Stark and they have MagicTV posted every week which is all state of the game and card review stuff.

My favorite MTG channel is Alpha Investments because the guy builds furniture out of sealed booster boxes and wears clothes made out of canceled credit cards.

Epiphany seems like a shitty card tbh. Do you really want to cycle it for the worse card out of the 2? Or almost never get the card you really need.
I'd rather play that fake fact of fiction where one pile is hidden.

Epiphany is much much better. People that think the card is bad haven't played with it. It's useful in the early game, both sides are valuable in the mid game and at the end of the game you're drawing so many cards it doesn't matter which side you get. If you picked the pile instead of making them it'd be better than Fact or Fiction and that card is already busted. It's best to play it in a deck that uses the graveyard, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom