• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

is there a more badass card than Skysovereign in this set? You, like, drop it on the table and your opponent just knows it will fuck their shit up
I know right

The flavor of it hitting something when it etbs is so good, swooping in and firing on something

My deck uses Nahiri to search it out (and can crew!) To blast the opponent

As more high-res pics of the Inventions flow in:

It confirms three things for us:

1. The Inventions use an FTV foiling process or something very similar
  2. The copper bordering is visually textured so it reflects light like a rough surface
  3. They still haven't fixed the right-side border scuffing issue from the expeditions, lmao

Well, the scuffing is fucking awful but other than that they look amazing.

Jhriad

Probably why there wasn't an FTV annoucement in the last announcement splurge. Also, fuck that foiling process. I don't want soon to be curled as fuck cards. It's just begging for someone to accuse me of rigging my mostly non-foil Modern decks.

1. They still haven't fixed the right-side border scuffing issue from the expeditions, lmao

Given that pretty much all the early Expeditions I saw had this I'm a little surprised that it wasn't fixed for the start of Kaladesh. Them paying for Fed Ex to pick up & deliver Expeditions couldn't have been cheap. Maybe most folks were just to lazy to get them replaced.

man that superfiends deck

all PW's, oaths and summon the gatewatch.

I feel like my local meta cant afford that shit so im going to pretend that deck doesnt exist.

Violet_0

Banned
off to participate in the midnight pre-sealed tournament, wish me all the best cards so I can stomp my competition

but I'll also accept a couple masterworks

Lessons from testing my Jank-ass Bant Super friends Deck:

Most Players in Modern seem to have(a rightful) seething Hatred for Planeswalkers.

MadCap Experiment is a trap, I had an opponent who went went off only to concede when I Selesnya Charmed his Blightsteel

Bant Eldrazi still feels like a coin toss, because a Reality Smasher is still the stupidest Card printed in recent magic history.

Elspeth Can Stabilize, but you still can die thanks to Displacer and Scions.

MadCap Experiment is a trap, I had an opponent who went went off only to concede when I Selesnya Charmed his Blightsteel

There's good reason to be suspicious of Madcap Experiment in Modern, but I don't think "my opponent wasn't ready for a removal spell" is a slight against the concept of the deck.

Ashodin

3dtdLmY.jpg

This token godddamnnnnnnn

There's good reason to be suspicious of Madcap Experiment in Modern, but I don't think "my opponent wasn't ready for a removal spell" is a slight against the concept of the deck.

True, how about the fact that my opponent went off and killed himself Game 1 when I had literally done nothing. I went Breeding Pool Tapped, Oath of Nissa+Razorverge, Nissa VoZ +1, and then he cast it and dealt himself 30.

And I think there's a pretty big difference between being Ready for a Doom Blade/Terminate/Shatter/K's Command targeting your thing that shuffles itself back in Vs any removal that exiles it.

The deck is something, but the deck really needs to be Tempo/Control, not all in Combo.

I neglected to mention this before. If you're a new player interested in going to a prerelease, you really should register beforehand. So if you plan on going tomorrow, you need to call your local game store and register today! Find one close to you here. You can try to go into the store on the day of, but there likely won't be an open slot.

And LSV's Limited reviews of both black and green are up.

I've never been in a LGS in my life but want to go to the Kaladesh Prerelease. Thing is they explicitly stated they don't do registration and they're sure they can "find a place for everybody"... How does this even work? Don't they have a limited amount of prerelease kits or something?

I've never been in a LGS in my life but want to go to the Kaladesh Prerelease. Thing is they explicitly stated they don't do registration and they're sure they can "find a place for everybody"... How does this even work? Don't they have a limited amount of prerelease kits or something?

They do, but if they have a good idea of how many people will come from past experience and thus ordered more prerelease kits than that for wiggle room, then they should have enough. Go ahead and check it out.

On the topic, tips for your first prerelease not directly related to deck building:
* Bring water and snacks.
* Have something to do between matches, or if you have a bye.
* It's generally better if you bring card sleeves. Remember to leave time to sleeve up your cards, though.
* It's a good idea to bring your own lands. The store will provide them, but everyone at some point will forget to give them back. By the way, give them back to the store after the event if you borrow any from them.
* Open up all your packs, throw away the packaging, then look at your cards.
* It's perfectly fine to talk about your cards with other people when assembling your deck, especially to brag about a Masterpiece you pulled. You can also feel free to ask for advice.
* If anything seems fishy during the match, call a judge.
* This is a casual event, and it's generally OK to take back actions you didn't mean or didn't immediately realize weren't possible, but some players are less lenient than others.
* If a deck isn't working out for you, it's perfectly fine to completely change it between rounds.

Bandini

Chandra fits right into a Jeskai Modern control deck. Current version of what I've been testing:

IkvbXOx.jpg

Good stuff. Her ultimate is SWEET. She might be all-around better than Nahiri, not sure yet.

Bant Eldrazi still feels like a coin toss, because a Reality Smasher is still the stupidest Card printed in recent magic history.

For some reason I've had this itch to sleeve up Eldrazi. I never thought that I would, but I purchased a play set of Thought Knots on a whim and ever since then I've wanted to give them a run.

I could run them in Modern, Legacy and even Vintage on MTGO, which could be fun.

Yeah, I just moved and the LGS holding a pre-release near me has like the whole wall behind the counter full of prerelease packs. I asked something similar because I'm planning to go on Sunday.

All good things to keep in mind. The first prerelease I went to I went 0-2 in my first round and completely retooled my deck before round 2. Ended up going 2-2 overall.

Some stores will continue to sell prerelease packs after the events end, so that could explain how they could have enough to not worry about registrations.

One of today's Drive to Works, Lessons Learned: Khans of Tarkir, goes over stuff that I don't believe MaRo has mentioned before. It turns out that the person he got approval from to do a time travel set left soon after, and thus, the rest of the company wasn't fully on board with it. By the time people got back to him with misgivings about the time travel, design was too far in to change things easily. The designers of Fate Reforged and Dragons of Tarkir weren't as interested in the time travel, and it's for this reason that the clans and the time travel weren't integrated as well as they could have been. It's actually because of this that they changed how early they bring the rest of the company on board for a set theme. More as I listen.
EDITS:
* MaRo literally figures out that Khans of Tarkir is the start of the Sixth Age of Design while driving. It marks when they started deciding how the set as a whole should look, through exploratory design, before they do any real designing. This changes how design interacts with the creative team, developers, and others.
* He was committed to morph, through the time travel theme, before the clan theme was established. The many clan mechanics in addition to this reflects how the rest of the company wasn't on board with the time travel. By the time people were asking MaRo to pull morph to give room for the clan mechanics, too much of the set's design was based on morph.
* Dragons of Tarkir didn't do as well as Khans of Tarkir in market research.

It turns out that the person he got approval from to do a time travel set left soon after, and thus, the rest of the company wasn't fully on board with it.

This would be Brady Dommermuth, once the singular leader of Magic Creative, who departed under ~~~mysterious circumstances~~~ ::spooky fingers::

We were never given any information about the cause here (and it always comes off as odd since he's so central to so many of Maro's stories from before that time) but reports were that he didn't get along well with the rest of the team, so it's maybe not shocking that something he was in favor of was less popular after he left.

This would be Brady Dommermuth, once the singular leader of Magic Creative, who departed under ~~~mysterious circumstances~~~ ::spooky fingers::

We were never given any information about the cause here (and it always comes off as odd since he's so central to so many of Maro's stories from before that time) but reports were that he didn't get along well with the rest of the team, so it's maybe not shocking that something he was in favor of was less popular after he left.
He also had some really crappy opinions, I used to post on the WotC message boards (where he and other staff did, as well). He was super anti-Merfolk because "fish folk are lame."

I hope a Return to Tarkir is done right, some day. New clans -- shards? -- arising to overthrow the scalelords.

I'd love to see a Wedge Kamigawa return block, come to think of it. Tengu in Temur colors, moonfolk and nezumi Sultai, etc.

El Topo

He also had some really crappy opinions, I used to post on the WotC message boards (where he and other staff did, as well). He was super anti-Merfolk because "fish folk are lame."

I mean, he ain't wrong about Merfolk. It's a shame Vedalken are even lamer. Give me Cephalids.

I can't imagine Return to Tarkir would involve clans overthrowing dragons and not make them wedge. I've said before that the most likely route is that the first set will be enemy colored, with some wedge legends and the dragons being monocolored besides the dragonlords, and the second set will be full-blown wedge themed.

Also, if Brady was the one strongly opposed to merfolk, and he left during Khans of Tarkir design, then I think it's pretty likely that he was the person opposed to dwarves in Magic. After all, the very first non-return block after Tarkir brought them back.

I'm so torn on Brady. He was a major Creative team person in the Odyssey-Kamigawa era (which I regularly denigrate as the absolute nadir of Magic Creative) but he's also responsible for the Ravnica guilds and the huge improvement to how planeswalkers work.

I can't imagine Return to Tarkir would involve clans overthrowing dragons and not make them wedge.

I mean the DTK storyline is almost entirely about setting up methods for the wedge clans to come back.

Also, if Brady was the one strongly opposed to merfolk, and he left during Khans of Tarkir design, then I think it's pretty likely that he was the person opposed to dwarves in Magic.

We already knew that for certain, it just wasn't necessarily clear whether there were additional anti-dwarf folks.

Violet_0

Banned
went 2-0, 2-0, 2-1 (due to a mistake, could have went undefeated), got 4th place out of nearly a 100 people with a honestly kind of "meh" G/B aggro/mid-range deck with the hydra and Oviya, whose only claim of fame was to contribute 4 face damage in one match. My one-copy Fretwork Colony won or heavily factored into most of the games, the card is so good

do you get anything for ranking #1, anyway? I was so close, damnit

got Pia, Saheeli (which I ended up selling) and Panharmonikon in my pool, Concealed Courtyard for promo, Gonti and Fleetwheel Cruiser in my reward boosters

playing in another sealed tournament in a few hours after some sleep

Korgill

Did they fix the Liliana mythic problem in newer packs of Eldrich Moon and does anyone know if something similar exists in Kaladesh?

I went 3-0-1 at the midnight prerelease and while I opened crap for value I got an insane pod imo.
The 1 draw was against the anti thesis to my RW aggro deck GWu long game, gaining 26 life in a single game! Fuck Fumigate in limited. I used MTGO to recreate my deck
and now in curve view, for the first rounds I had the 5CMC vehicle instead of fragmentize.
The splash didn't hurt me once and was able to win me games because my opponent stumbled just for a second.

They had to make really good removal because of vehicles.

do you get anything for ranking #1, anyway? I was so close, damnit

It's completely up to each store, and store will usually display the prizes somewhere.

I went 3-0-1 at the midnight prerelease and while I opened crap for value I got an insane pod imo.
The 1 draw was against the anti thesis to my RW aggro deck GWu long game, gaining 26 life in a single game! Fuck Fumigate in limited. I used MTGO to recreate my deck

Reckless Fireweaver and Master Trinketeer seem odd with so few artifacts.

EDIT: Limited Set Review: Gold & Lands, the last part

ElyrionX

2. The copper bordering is visually textured so it reflects light like a rough surface
  3. They still haven't fixed the right-side border scuffing issue from the expeditions, lmao

I saw one last night. It isn't FTV foiling. There is a matte feel/look on the art part of the card.

Reckless Fireweaver and Master Trinketeer seem odd with so few artifacts.

Fireweaver did a lot of work especially in combination with the trinketeer, which is, mana sink aside, still a 3/2 but together I could win the longer-ish game. 4 mana ping you and make a 2/2 on a stick is fairly decent.
Still it was the bottom of the barrel of my 2 drops but I didn't have much else without going heavier into green.

Is there a site i can use to record my Magic and other TCG collection? Or is Google Docs my best bet?

I use a program called Magic Album. You can customize what's displayed, so it's not as cluttered as the screenshot. It has not only cards, but also tokens. It updates about a week after the prerelase of each set (so, the release).

I'm so torn on Brady. He was a major Creative team person in the Odyssey-Kamigawa era (which I regularly denigrate as the absolute nadir of Magic Creative) but he's also responsible for the Ravnica guilds and the huge improvement to how planeswalkers work.

Heh, you really are the complete polar opposite of me, aren't you? Still, agreed about being torn on Brady.

Supast4r

Chandra fits right into a Jeskai Modern control deck. Current version of what I've been testing:

IkvbXOx.jpg

Good stuff. Her ultimate is SWEET. She might be all-around better than Nahiri, not sure yet.
Highly doubt she is better than Nahiri in modern. Nahiri can: exile any creature that attacked, flat out wins the game no questions if she ults the turn it happens, and she rummages for you as a plus 2. Chandra's flame slash can't kill goyf/eldrazi/tasigur/angler/deaths shadow/etc. Chandra ult doesn't immediately win the game, her ramp isn't too great in jeskai either as that deck plays at instant speed.

Wichu

Got a Verdurous Gearhulk in my pool, as well as some other nice artifact creatures plus Aethersquall Ancient. Chief of the Foundry MVP. Had to drop early to catch a plane, but still got in four matches - went 3-1 overall and opened Angel of Invention in one of my prize packs. Success!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom