• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

etta

my hard graphic balls
They had no ps4 too.
Yea, so over $1200 to experience VR at it's weakest, first-gen technology, on base PS4, no killer app yet...etc.
I don't know what Sony is thinking launching at that price, maybe they too know not to expect a lot of sales, have low projections.

Yea, so over $1200 to experience VR at it's weakest, first-gen technology, on base PS4, no killer app yet...etc.
I don't know what Sony is thinking launching at that price, maybe they too know not to expect a lot of sales, have low projections.

I can't imagine Sony has high sales expectations. I think they have the idea that VR will be a long-term play, and are willing to pay the piper upfront to get their foot in the door and establish an early presence in the sector. Also, it's increasingly clear that the VR hardware and the R&D that went into it is just that expensive; the only headset that's managed to come in significantly below $500 CAD is the OSVR devkit, and even that is $449. Also, no one knows what OSVR is; I worry it'll die on the vine. So they would have incentive to push out as many units as possible to get the OSVR name out there, and that's still the lowest price they were willing to set.

Kyolux

Rigs, Driveclub VR, Farpoint, Resident Evil 7, the final Arkham game, Here They Lie, Robinson and Until Dawn have all received very positive feedback so far for the PS VR.

And there's so many more games there at launch.

If you don't believe me, check out this list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044658

Also, I'm very interested in seeing the ROTR and FFXV VR things. Apparently the demo we saw for XV at E3 wasn't the real deal we're getting and just something they put together at the last minute.

SickBoy

Man, I'm a cancelling machine right now. Just pulled the plug on Color Splash. (Backlog issues: haven't started Paper Jam, as well as annoyance over Amazon's mis-applied discount... and my unwillingness to pay $60). PSVR is up next (along with RIGS).

I can't imagine Sony has high sales expectations. I think they have the idea that VR will be a long-term play, and are willing to pay the piper upfront to get their foot in the door and establish an early presence in the sector. Also, it's increasingly clear that the VR hardware and the R&D that went into it is just that expensive; the only headset that's managed to come in significantly below $500 CAD is the OSVR devkit, and even that is $449.

Even though it seems like it's probably the worst implementation of VR, I've started to believe that mobile phone-based implementations like Gear VR might be where the technology really takes off... so long as the software is relatively easy to port between the biggest standards (for example, can I take a Gear VR game and easily put it on Google's impending VR tech?)

The cost of entry is just so much lower with a mobile phone. Everyone's got a mobile phone. Even if someone's phone isn't enough, "buying VR" with a mobile phone is maybe a $650 phone and a $150 headset -- still cheaper than any of the alternatives at $800. Plus it's a device you're going to use every day.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Rigs, Driveclub VR, Farpoint, Resident Evil 7, the final Arkham game, Here They Lie, Robinson and Until Dawn have all received very positive feedback so far for the PS VR.

And there's so many more games there at launch.

If you don't believe me, check out this list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044658

Also, I'm very interested in seeing the ROTR and FFXV VR things. Apparently the demo we saw for XV at E3 wasn't the real deal we're getting and just something they put together at the last minute.
No I'm not saying it doesn't have any games, it will launch with plenty of good experiences I am sure, but I don't think any of those will be the system-selling type. Will they be good if you already have the system, sure, will they be so good that word of mouth will get other people to buy PSVRs specifically for those games? Probably not. I could be wrong, time will tell.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For me the added price of buying the move controllers/camera pushed me over the edge in canceling it.

I figure either they'll make another one and it'll be cheaper, or it'll bomb and if I really want to try it, there will be plenty of people looking to offload it.

I doubt they're making much profit on the headset itself. The Rift and Vive are pricey too. I would think it's just the cost of developing a new technology that is not (yet?) mass market.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I doubt they're making much profit on the headset itself. The Rift and Vive are pricey too. I would think it's just the cost of developing a new technology that is not (yet?) mass market.
Yea, true. I worded it wrong, what I am trying to allude to is that VR right now with those costs doesn't really seem like a good match for consoles, where 90% of the people get them because they are in that affordable $300-$500 range, when ammortized over the life expectancy of 5-6+ years for a console. 90% of that customer base will see PSVR as a peripheral, and when they see the price of $500+ JUST for an add-on, it's an entirely different reaction to that of a gaming enthusiast.

BadWolf

Yea, true. I worded it wrong, what I am trying to allude to is that VR right now with those costs doesn't really seem like a good match for consoles, where 90% of the people get them because they are in that affordable $300-$500 range, when ammortized over the life expectancy of 5-6+ years for a console. 90% of that customer base will see PSVR as a peripheral, and when they see the price of $500+ JUST for an add-on, it's an entirely different reaction to that of a gaming enthusiast.

The price is high but the tech itself is not overpriced.

It's also primarily aimed at the 40 million current PS4 owners, first and foremost.

Shoeless

VR is still in its first generation, there's a lot of room for improvement. I don't begrudge anyone that wants to sit this one out an wait for the tech to become lighter, more powerful and cheaper.

I've been a huge science fiction fan since I was a kid and inhaled William Gibson and cyberspace, so for me, this is a big thing and I want to get in on it as early as possible, but I also know it's expensive, clunky and it WILL get better in future iterations. VR headsets need to get lighter, they need sharper displays, and if they're going to be room scale, they need to be wireless. All these things will probably happen in time, but I personally can't wait that long if the tech is already here. But that's just me making an early-adopter/enthusiast choice.

Adamastor

So quick heads up. I thought PS+ was going up last week... However, the cards at Best Buy say $49.99 on them, so I went ahead and got one for that price. So I'm assuming if they're still out in the wild they sell for $49.99. Though you'd like to know.

Need to buy a PC.

Is it a good time to buy?

Should i wait? This is my first build.

I think you kind of missed the boat, best time would have probably been Back to School sales. With Kaby Lake now starting to release might be worthwhile if you are willing to pick up a last-gen Skylake as those start to drop in price to clear stock. I picked up a Skylake in the summer and they were getting some decent discounts, probably see similar to better sales for the holiday lead up. For graphics 1080s/70s/60s are seeing their slight price decline so if you see a deal with a game you want probably OK to go for it, I dont anticipate insane deals on those for the holiday lead up. Conversely if you're doing a more budget PC build AMD cards will probably see some decent discounts late Oct and past. Memory prices have swung upwards though so that is where you will get hit the worst price wise, I'm glad I snagged 16gigs of DDR4 this summer on a good deal but I neglected to pick up the SSDs I wanted so those will probably have to wait until things calm down.

Personally I am still building a PC, piece by piece. I picked up a few cheaper components this summer but still need a case and video card. A friend of mine is going to loan me his old 680 since he just got a new 1080 until I finally decide if I want to drop the extra $$$ on a 1080 vs 1070 (I won't be gaming past 1080p for another year or two anyway, but will probably jump on a VR headset next year if I see software output improve). Only game I really need to play is BF1 this year and hopefully will get XCOM 2 and Civ 6 for Xmas at which point I will probably be good until Fall of next year considering I still have school and a ton of PS4 games preordered, so a graphics card isn't at the top of my priorities anyway.

fin

Amazon has destiny ttk on for $19.99 but it's the French edition. Did they seriously make a French only version of the game for Canada? If I don't speak French would I be screwed if I got this?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Impressions have been great so far btw.

Hater.
Yea I'm genuinely surprised, it looks like Ubisoft gave up on the "let's make a GTA clone" and started actually taking it seriously. I'm still not getting it at release, unless it somehow gets critical reception and 9s and 10s flying everywhere.
The city looks really nice, so I'll definitely get it one day.

Yea I'm genuinely surprised, it looks like Ubisoft gave up on the "let's make a GTA clone" and started actually taking it seriously. I'm still not getting it at release, unless it somehow gets critical reception and 9s and 10s flying everywhere.
The city looks really nice, so I'll definitely get it one day.

Same. The first one had so much hype. Loved it for 3 hours, got bored, and never played it again.

Mafia 3 looks amazing however, very little hype but good preview impressions so far. The devs seem cool with letting critics extended play for previews. Good sign!

From what I've seen, the best deal you'll get on watch dogs 2 will be the deal you get by not purchasing it. That being said, "deals" can be found for the PC version on cdkeys and kinguin.
Gunna disagree as the first game I always thought looked terrible, this one looks pretty enjoyable and I can't say I've ever really not liked any game I bought outside of Killzone Shadowfall (which I only payed $5 for anyway) so I'm willing to take a chance on this
Unfortunately I'm on ps4 though so PC deals don't help me much. I shouldve specified but oh well.

Kyolux

What does that matter when it's sold out?

Well, with everyone left and right cancelling their pre-orders.. it's less and less sold out everyday.

I'm still day 1 and nothing is gonna change my mind. But I guess it's easier when you already have a PS4, the cam and 2 moves already.

Hey guys.

Looking into getting a decent travel points credit card. Any tips or recommendations? I'm with Scotiabank. All I've heard is that an Aeroplan card is pretty god, but Scotia doesn't have it. I'm going on a trip to Cuba next year and potentially flying down to Florida in December. Looking to get a card to save for the yearly trip, nothing business related.

Kyolux

Hey guys.

Looking into getting a decent travel points credit card. Any tips or recommendations? I'm with Scotiabank. All I've heard is that an Aeroplan card is pretty god, but Scotia doesn't have it. I'm going on a trip to Cuba next year and potentially flying down to Florida in December. Looking to get a card to save for the yearly trip, nothing business related.

I've been using the TD Aeroplan card for about 10 months now. Worth it, I'm raking up those points fairly fast.

GG-Duo

Hey guys.

Take a look at this: http://rewardscanada.ca/topcc2016/

Impressions have been great so far btw.

Hater.
Umm, I have watched extended gameplay videos and have come away unimpressed. The world looks rather sterile and the mechanics seem somewhat similar to assassin's creed. The gameplay loop isn't especially enticing and I feel like the game will live and die by it's story. It certainly looks better than the first game where trains made turns at 90 degree angles but being better than the previous effort isn't really an accomplishment.

N E R O

The probably won't carry it. Other games from PQube (Steins;Gate etc) that were Amazon.com exclusive in the US never came to Amazon.ca.

I recommend you order from VideoGamesPlus, they are carrying it

Thanks. Totally forgot about this website

Lexxism

Hey guys.

Try looking gold and Platinum amex. Will you at least $250 bonus when you spend $xxxx amount. Just cancel it after as the annual fee is hefty.

soultron

Banned
Amazon has destiny ttk on for $19.99 but it's the French edition. Did they seriously make a French only version of the game for Canada? If I don't speak French would I be screwed if I got this?
Just wait for The Collection to go on sale during Black Friday. You'll get Rise of Iron, where the bulk of most players are now, if you grab that package.

jzbluz

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but Recall/RCSS are having 20% off Chapter's $25 gift card. I went to RCSS where you need a coupon, which is supposed to be with the gift card, for the promo to work. There weren't any coupons left when I got there, but I asked the cashier who asked a manager and they used one they kept with them.

killroy87

Anyone else having trouble playing over PSN? I usually use my Paypal, which has worked fine, but it won't let me anymore, I just get a generic error message. I've tried deleting and re-adding my account, and also adding $25 of funds to my wallet through my Paypal, but it gives me an error.

Kyolux

Anyone else having trouble playing over PSN? I usually use my Paypal, which has worked fine, but it won't let me anymore, I just get a generic error message. I've tried deleting and re-adding my account, and also adding $25 of funds to my wallet through my Paypal, but it gives me an error.

Have you tried through the website version of PSN? Maybe that could help?

You will need to post some impressions of that TV. :)

You would have been much better off with the Vizio M65 for $100 more. It's on sale for $1999. It's a much better TV than the 6290. Just read Cnets review that just came out on the M65.

http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m-series-2016/review/

I initially had the P65 but returned it for the M65 and saved $1000 and the difference isn't all that much. It has 64 zones vs 128 on the P but looks the same to me. I can hardly tell the TV is on on an all black screen in a completely dark room.

I changed my mind. Sent the 6290 back to costco. Ordered a 60" KS8000 from Visions. I was set to pick it up Saturday morning, but when I got there, they said they put the TV they had for me on display. I was pissed but they were my only option to get this TV at a good price and in a timely manner. Since its the first location in the GTA the guy was really nice and offered to personally deliver the TV to me if shipping or pickup wasn't convenient to me.

I need the low latency AND the HDR support. KS8000 is really the only option at this point. I guess after the firmware update, Vizio P series will become viable as well. Not as fast as the KS8000 but good enough I guess.

My brother out in Cali also bought a KS8000. We've slowly realized the one big flaw is not great support for anything but HDMI. So we're looking at different external scalers now for retro console support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom