• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternia

So apparently Shomi is shutting down. It'll be shut down on Nov. 30. Wonder what'll happen with the exclusive stuff they had.
That's too bad. As a "free" service add-on to Rogers, I actually kind of liked it since I never had Netflix. Wonder if people who signed to long-term deals that included Shomi would get a replacement or something.

So apparently Shomi is shutting down. It'll be shut down on Nov. 30. Wonder what'll happen with the exclusive stuff they had.

Sucks for me, I subscribed to it for Battlestar Galactica and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and I bet they won't come back to Netflix any time soon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess there is only a couple of options with Shomi.

They sit on the rights and keep them out of spite.
They sell them to Crave because Bell wants to make its service more attractive as an alternative to Netflix.
They sell them to Netflix.

i feel like as the online shopping industry self regulated over the years, it kinda became a point where it eliminated all the prime opponants and now amazon/walmart and thats kinda it and dominates the online option for canada.... 35 dollar, 50 dollar free shipping charges, lack of choice, and there really isn't any other online shopping outlet anymore :/ and i've been shopping online ever since it began.

just a rant, as i tried to find a good pullup bar for the home, ended up buying a 40 dollar one with 1-3 month shipping, when it's 20 bucks on .com.

bleh.

kswiston

What game exactly are you looking for? I've been looking for Xseed and Level 5 games, but I'm ultimately getting them from stores like GameShack or on Kijiji/Ebay.

I went in looking for Trails of Cold Steel 2. My store didn't have it. When I looked on their website, they don't even list the PS3 version, and the VITA version doesn't have the "find it in a store" option. Out of curiousity I looked up the Atelier series, and while Shallie and earlier all have the ability to look up the in-store availability, Atelier Sophie doesn't.

It's not of huge importance, since I have Prime on Amazon and was able to order Cold Steel 2 there. However, EB games tended to have better prices on niche titles that were a year or two old. I am several games behind, so I always bought the Atelier games when they hit that $20-30 range.

Tapejara

I got a Shomi subscription this year, and it hasn't been that great. Visual quality is a huge step down from Netflix. Hopefully with it shutting down Netflix will get access to all of the old Teletoon and YTV shows Shomi had locked up.

Tried shomi using phone and chromecast but next episode wouldn't automatically start after one finished (like Netflix) so I cancelled. Maybe there was some sort of setting to do it, I dunno.

-Deimos

I guess there is only a couple of options with Shomi.

They sit on the rights and keep them out of spite.
They sell them to Crave because Bell wants to make its service more attractive as an alternative to Netflix.
They sell them to Netflix.

Can they even do that? I'd lose my shit.

I went in looking for Trails of Cold Steel 2. My store didn't have it. When I looked on their website, they don't even list the PS3 version, and the VITA version doesn't have the "find it in a store" option. Out of curiousity I looked up the Atelier series, and while Shallie and earlier all have the ability to look up the in-store availability, Atelier Sophie doesn't.

It's not of huge importance, since I have Prime on Amazon and was able to order Cold Steel 2 there. However, EB games tended to have better prices on niche titles that were a year or two old. I am several games behind, so I always bought the Atelier games when they hit that $20-30 range.

Are you in Toronto? I saw Trails of Cold Steel 2 at Gameshack.

SickBoy

Depends on the terms of their agreement. I would be a little surprised if there wasn't language that doesn't return rights to content owners in the case of a shutdown like this.

The idea that Shomi would have any sort of right to choose where the content would go (i.e.: selling rights to Netflix or Crave) is certainly within the realm of possibility, but strikes me as a bit unlikely.

Tapejara

Tried shomi using phone and chromecast but next episode wouldn't automatically start after one finished (like Netflix) so I cancelled. Maybe there was some sort of setting to do it, I dunno.

Oh yeah this too.

Also, on the PS4 app if you were navigating menus you would need to tap X twice to confirm for some reason.

Spinoff90

Shomi having other Amazon content made me hope it would offer The Grand Tour. So much for that. I guess the only hope now is that it is eventually released on DVD and Blu-ray? I would even settle for DVD only like Top Gear.

Tapejara

Anyone know how to get River City Tokyo Rumble (3DS) in Canada? Apparently Natsume is selling it through Amazon.com but it doesn't ship to Canada.

tiijj

Anyone know how to get River City Tokyo Rumble (3DS) in Canada? Apparently Natsume is selling it through Amazon.com but it doesn't ship to Canada.

Amazon CA has a 3rd party one for $45 plus $5 shipping.

Ans as much as I dislike play asia, they one one for US$30, dunno how much shipping is.

videogameplus has it for $40 but OOS, maybe they'll restock it or not.

i-Jest

I doubt capcom will do another sale in time to stack the SFV coupon.

So post if you want a PSN coupon for 45% off for SFV.

Is this freebie? If so I'll take it.

EDIT:

Wow. Not surprised. They had the weakest content in a world of legitimate competition. I'm surprised how decent Crave is, but Netflix is still king. Rogers and Shaw took a big hit here, they are now a step behind on IPTV.

That's what happens when you think you have small screen entertainment on lock indefinitely, here in Canada. The only people who will to pay the outrageous prices they do, for cable, are old people that never truly got with the times and changes in technology. That demographic is slowly dying. It's a very common thing for people in my age group, early to mid 20's, to just stream our stuff. American Netflix is the ideal way to do that, or just use less than legitimate streaming websites.

kevin1025

Banned

Part of me wonders if these contracts and such get locked away into Rogers On Demand, for those with cable boxes. That way they can run out the clock on all of the content and still technically have it under their company in some form.

As others have said, all depends on the language of the agreement!

Amazon CA has a 3rd party one for $45 plus $5 shipping.

Ans as much as I dislike play asia, they one one for US$30, dunno how much shipping is.

videogameplus has it for $40 but OOS, maybe they'll restock it or not.

I ended up ordering a copy from play Asia. It was 4.99 us for their cheapest shopping option.

Remember to use coupon code CENSORED to get $3 off the price during checkout.

After conversion with PayPal it came to about $43 CDN all in, so its fairly comparable to what I would pay if i were to order it locally (if the msrp ended up being $39.99, that is).

Mulling over the current XB1 S trade in deal at EB. Doesn't seem that bad if I have the math right.

$190* + $100** = $290 credit
Xbox One S 1TB = $350***

So $60 before taxes by my reckoning.

*$165 (Xbox One 500gig)
+5% free edge card
+10% promo

**5 $8+ games bumped to $20 each

***$50 off sale + $50 off for the trade in offer.

We didn't always have them? I've been receiving emails for years about Xbox Live Rewards, since before the transition away from Xbox Live points.

Microsoft Rewards are different. It appears we don't have them yet I am getting emails about them.

We do have Xbox Live Rewards. I have taken advantage of them in the past.

khaaan

Oh well, didn't use Shomi that much anyway....certainly not enough to want to pay for it at least. They had a decent selection though and I did like the mix of older cartoons in the bunch. There were a couple in there where the popularity was probably limited to Canada.

ElNino

That's too bad as there were some shows/movies on there that weren't on Netflix, and it is "free" with my Rogers bundle.

What's the best place to buy cheap furniture in Montreal ?
Too bad you weren't closer to Toronto as we are selling our dining room table/hutch/chairs that we bought when we got married.

kswiston

What's the SOP when an Amazon package is reported as delivered, but you never received it? I supposedly had a package delivered yesterday via Canada Post, but checking just now, there's nothing there. My mail goes to one of those locked community residential mailboxes. No package, and no key for one of the larger parcel boxes.

What's the SOP when an Amazon package is reported as delivered, but you never received it? I supposedly had a package delivered yesterday via Canada Post, but checking just now, there's nothing there. My mail goes to one of those locked community residential mailboxes. No package, and no key for one of the larger parcel boxes.

I think you're supposed to wait 24 hours before you start asking Canada Post/Amazon for updates. If it doesn't come then you talk with an Amazon representative since they're really the only ones who can ask Canada Post what's up with the stuff they sent.

kswiston

I think you're supposed to wait 24 hours before you start asking Canada Post/Amazon for updates. If it doesn't come then you talk with an Amazon representative since they're really the only ones who can ask Canada Post what's up with the stuff they sent.

Technically, it's been 24 hours since the delivery confirmation, but I will check again later today. Thanks.

I assume Amazon is pretty good at replacing lost packages.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Cheapest option for home Internet in Montreal?

Super-obscure company and not the best speed/tech support/technology, but there's a small company called GemsTelecom that offers unlimited 10mbps cable connection for $40 per month.

Corey31

The CraveTV XB1 app had to be hunted down in order to install it, and it doesn't even work at all >_>

They sure did a poor job publicizing this. I have CraveTV access with my TV service and had absolutely no idea they had an XBOX One app finally.

I had been waiting for it to be available before I even bothered with the service.

Kyolux

You should have linked the PS4 version, now for the low, low price of $78.99.

Oh yeah! should have. :)

--

Unrelated question. I have a friend looking for something alongside usability of a chromebook, but in a tablet format that she can carry around easily.

She was looking at this but that looked pretty crappy. Anyone else has any idea what could be a decent option, yet not crazy expensive?

KC-Slater

That's too bad. As a "free" service add-on to Rogers, I actually kind of liked it since I never had Netflix. Wonder if people who signed to long-term deals that included Shomi would get a replacement or something.

Well if you were a Rogers customer and this was bundled in your contract and you wanted out, you might have just found your window...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom